Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Beowulf

Arcane
Nice. I guess that means FoG2 is done DLC-wise and we won't see any more ancients content. New additions will now probably only go fowards in time, possibly up to Hussites.

The developer mentioned on the steam forums that they want to cover the 1000-1500 time period (so that includes gunpowder units as well).

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
Nice. I guess that means FoG2 is done DLC-wise and we won't see any more ancients content. New additions will now probably only go fowards in time, possibly up to Hussites.
I still holding out hope they release the chariot wars era lists, I need my Sumerian straddle cars like yesterday.
By the way on here there's a list of the tabletop 'expansions' that gives us an idea of what the DLCs are likely to include. The Asian ones are probably a long shot but Hussites are all but guaranteed as they are likely to go to 1500 as that's the typical end date for the period.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
The developer mentioned on the steam forums that they want to cover the 1000-1500 time period (so that includes gunpowder units as well).

That means they'll probably waste time making a War of the Roses module with identical armies to 'ave a punch up outside 't pub

727.jpg

zapotec

Liturgist
For Field of glory II (no medieval)
The plan is still to release a 2500-680 BC DLC, but it is unlikely to be done until Medieval and its DLCs are completed.

Beowulf

Arcane
So - the Time Warp module has finally arrived:
35B066EC670E92A4D2A234ED5CDBCC87AB9E4C68
Does that mean that you can now play Alexander vs Charlemagne matches now?

Yes, but No. Technically you could do that in FoG2 Ancients. In Medieval you can either mix now Ancients with Medieval (Alexander vs one of the Capetian kings if you want to beat some frogeaters), or play with factions whose date range crosses 1000 A.D.

So Alexander vs Charlemagne would be an Ancients vs Ancients (I know, I know) battle and can be done in FoG2 Ancients. I guess they want people to have a reason to buy it still. This module is a nice inclusion anyway.

Beowulf

Arcane
Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
If that's what you wanted to try, than yeah, you can do it.
11D0ED19AB8EA660934A559E2F45D24FFB6C5E45

Poor kaniggets never seen an animal like this and yet they bravely charged.
Bu the battle played to the well known historical outcome and ended with the Bretonnian army fleeing en masse.

4C2DBCF205DFB566C7D47578F24687DC1B3B8E22

oscar

Arcane
Because most medieval infantry is unmaneuverable dogshit that functions as a tactical speedbumps (and to soak up crossbow bolts from hitting your precious gentlemen) and the knights, mounted or dismounted, are your only real offensive arm.

Been having a lot of fun with the Highland Scots list in the tournament. No cavalry (damn I wish I'd taken the Norwegians as allies) so I have to try wear down the knights through sheer attrition and flank swarming them with my (admittedly plentiful) heavy weapon wielding Islemen and Irish. Highlanders themselves are an interesting little unit too being impact foot with 50% bow capability (what seems more of a psychological weapon than any reliable way to do much damage).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I suppose Macedonians make for a good Swiss pikemen proxies
How good are the campaigns compared to fog2 ancients?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Judging from the first game's DLC, I'm pretty sure we're going to get all of those:

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/field-of-glory

FoG2 recevied all of these ancients DLCs (and even more! Age of Belisarius and Rise of Persia didn't exist for FoG1, but all the ancient FoG1 DLCs made it to FoG2), so I'm betting all the medieval DLCs will also make it to FoG2 Medieval.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Field of glory 2 medieval would be oath of fealty?
The dlc look good, but I would really like a field of glory: kingdoms above all!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Field of glory 2 medieval would be oath of fealty?
The dlc look good, but I would really like a field of glory: kingdoms above all!

Yeah Oath of Fealty corresponds to FoG2 Medieval.

The DLCs I would expect from FoG2 Medieval:
- Swords and Scimitars (crusading era)
- Decline and Fall (Byzantines vs its enemies from late antiquity to late middle ages)
- Storm of Arrows (late middle ages: 100 years war, war of the roses etc)
- Eternal Empire (rise of the Ottomans with the fall of Byzantium)

They also have another DLC for FoG2 ancient planned, covering early chariot warfare :salute:

I'm really looking forward to all of these because weird ahistorical matchups such as Assyrians vs Romans or medieval Franks vs Alexander's Macedon is what I like the most.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Can Caesar beat the late Byzantines tho???

Probably shouldn't want to throw money at any dev but I hope they keep pumping out DLC for this and Empires.

Beowulf

Arcane
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1368870/view/3028082328633828492

"Reconquista" The first DLC of Field of Glory II: Medieval brings the battles related to the Middle Ages in South West Europe.

Feudalism did not have such a dominant impact in Spain and Italy as it had in the rest of Europe and both these lands had unique factors which affected the conduct of warfare:

- Spain 1050, with more than half of the Iberian peninsula under the rule of Islamic states, the era of Christian Reconquista began. It would last until 1492, after centuries of clashes between Berber Empires (Murabits, Almohads and Hafsids) and Christian Kingdoms (Aragon, Castile y Leon, etc.).

- In Northern Italy the big cities formed the Lombard League to counter the attempts of the Holy Roman Emperor to enforce his authority over them. This was a part of the Wars between Ghibellines who supported the Holy Roman Emperor and the Guelfs that supporting the Pope.

- In Southern Italy, the Normans rose from humble mercenaries to conquer the whole of southern Italy and establish the great kingdom of Sicily, after conquering the island from the Arabs.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.slitherine.com/news/field-of-glory-ii-medieval-reconquista-now-available
Reconquista, the first DLC for Field of Glory II: Medieval is now available. Expand your game experience by taking command of the conflicts that have affected the Iberian and Italian Peninsula from 1040 AD to 1270 AD.

Lead your army to victory through legendary battles that have inflamed southern Europe for decades, with 20 more nations and factions covering Spain, Italy and North Africa, including:

The Andalusians, Almohads, Arabs, Aragonese, Byzantine Catapanate of Italy, Castilians / Leónese, Catalans, Granadines, Hafsids, Italian Guelfs, Italian Ghibellines, Italo-Normans, Lombards, Marinids, Murabits, Navarrese, Papal, Portuguese, the Kingdom of Sicily and Tuaregs.

Relive 8 more historical scenarios covering key engagements of the period as well as 4 more historically-based campaigns covering major leaders and conflicts of the era: El Cid, Muhammad II of Granada, Normans in the South and Frederick II Hohenstaufen.

Create your historically realistic battlefield for custom scenarios that can be played against the AI or human opponents using Slitherine’s easy to use PBEM3 server.

Moreover, a new Bundle will be available, containing Field of Glory II: Medieval and Reconquista with an additional 10% discount.

Don't let your guard down, as the battle continues in Field of Glory II: Medieval - Reconquista.

oscar

Arcane
Battle of Montmaggorie (close to where the Battle of Cannae was fought) is a very fun scenario. My Norman knights completely smashed the Byzantine lancers but couldn't dent the rock-solid Vangarian foot rearguard (led by Harald Haldrada no less). Luckily I had enough points from completely routing the Byzantine cavalry and flanks to gain a victory.

I'm keen to try the Italian Guelf lists too. Lots of crossbows and the new pavise mixed units look interesting (66% crossbow).

I'll see how we go in the coming tournament.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.slitherine.com/news/field-of-glory-ii-medieval-swords-and-scimitars-is-coming-soon
Field of Glory II: Medieval - Swords and Scimitars is coming soon

Published on July 13, 2021
Field of Glory II: Medieval returns with its second DLC "Swords and Scimitars". Set in the 11th to 13th centuries AD, the game focuses on the Crusades and the Byzantine Empire’s decline from their previously strong 11th century position.

dfec39d4023f1c135446e46ae2e133ef3daa1214.jpg

In 1071, the Empire suffered a catastrophic defeat at the hands of the Seljuq Turks at the Battle of Manzikert. These recently converted, islamic nomads took nearly all of Anatolia under Alp Arslan’s expert leadership.

As the Byzantine Emperor Alexios Komnenos struggled, an appeal to the west for mercenary support was seized upon by Pope Urban II. In 1095 he called for a Crusade both to recover holy land and to further his own ends at the Council of Clermont.

The timing was fortuitously right, as the mighty Seljuq Empire had begun to fragment, allowing the First Crusade to eventually capture Jerusalem in 1099. The creation of “Crusader States” following on from this success would lead to two centuries of bitter conflict.

Several major Crusades were to follow, as the Crusader states fought for their existence against a succession of resurgent Islamic states.

Meanwhile, further East, a far greater threat to Islamic civilisation was emerging. The rapidly expanding Mongols had destroyed the Khwarazmian Shahdom by 1231, the Christian kingdom of Georgia in 1239, and the Seljuqs were defeated and forced into vassaldom by 1243.

In 1258 the Assassins of Alamut, and the vestigial remains of the once great Abbasid Caliphate, had also been conquered. Only the Mamluks of Egypt were able to finally bring the Mongol advance to an end, with their victory at Ain Jalut in 1260.

In the Balkans the Byzantine Empire had retained some of its former glory until 1204, when the Fourth Crusade broke the back of the Empire, leaving them a minor state shattered into four fragments.

These are the backgrounds, stories and wars that lead to the new DLC, which will include:

- 20 more nations and factions covering South Eastern Europe and the Middle East from 1040 AD to 1270 AD. These include Arabs (Syria/Iraq), Armenians (Cilician), Bulgarians, Byzantines (Main Empire, also Nikaia, Epiros and Trebizond), Crusaders, Cypriots (Lusignan Kingdom), Dailami, Fatimid Egyptians, Georgians, Ghaznavids, Ghurids, Indians (Rajput, other Hindu, Muslim), Khwarazmians, Latin States in Greece, Mamluk Egyptians, Mongols (Ilkhanids), Pechenegs, Seljuq Turks, Serbians and Syrian States.
- 35 more units (11 brand new, 24 new to Medieval), allowing the troops of all of the new factions to be accurately represented.
- 41 more army lists allowing historically realistic armies for each of the above factions and their allies at different dates during the period.
- 8 more historical scenarios covering key engagements of the period on an epic scale. These include Manzikert 1071, Dorylaeum 1097, Ascalon 1099, Sirmium 1167, Arsuf 1191, La Forbie 1244, Homs 1281 and Kili 1299.
- 4 more historically-based campaigns covering major leaders and conflicts of the era: Alexios Komnenos, The First Crusade, Manuel Komnenos, Saladin.
- Sandbox campaign expanded to include all the new army lists.
- Time Warp custom battles modules expanded to include all the new army lists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom