Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

RPK

Scholar
TLDR - They ran out of money, um maybe? Then the guy that owns half the company went MIA for 9 months, so even if they had money (which the MIA guy is in charge of ... again...maybe?) they can't get access to it. The guy that still wants to do stuff with the game owns the game engine, the guy that is MIA owns the rights to all the art assets or something like that.

It's a complete clusterfuck.

they're talking about trying to create smaller modules and release those to generate income to be able to complete the game as a whole, but again, that relies on buy-in from the CE-whatever who has apparently been completely unwilling to discuss anything related to their business arrangements (apparently they have talked to him once semi-recently), whatever those may be.

it is not looking good.

Bara

Arcane
If their plan really is to wait for bankruptcy and buy the assets back in auction...

They are totally going to get outbid by someone if it even makes it to auction with their luck. Though with how cursed this project is woukd not be surprised if the AWOL boss already sold off the rights to the assets without telling anyone.

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Man, after reading some of the posts here I think people really need to remember that backing a Kickstarter is a lot like dating a girl... you end up spending money (and sometimes a shitload of it) to hopefully get something good from it.

However, that is a calculated risk and there is a very good chance you will be spending money (and time) on something that will not work out in the end. Most relationships don't even last a few months, so yeah, breakups suck, but bitching about all the money you spent on the last broad is just dumb (and obsessive). Pick yourself up and find another babe to occupy your time for now. You were at least entertained for some time, which is probably much longer than most of your relationships. And on the off chance that old broad does one day show up at your door, then don't be sore with her.... welcome her in, treat her right, and show her what she has been missing all this time. (I'm talking about a game here)

:thisisfine:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Found this posted on rpgwatch. https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/sho...7b700377ac5da2eb3&p=1061638093#post1061638093

Originally Posted by Dragonfly
According to several German gaming magazines, one of the founders of the company that's developing Realms Beyond was trying to find a publisher as they had run out of money. He didn't find one and hasn't gotten in touch with his colleagues since. They have no idea where he is, but they can't finish and release the game without his permission. So, RB is dead, I suppose.Most of this is true, but the "they have no idea where he is" is not really accurate. Let me try to summarize what I've gathered from their Discord.

For reference: HobGoblin42 (aka Peter) is the programmer & co-owner of Ceres
Sheihadul (aka Timothy) is the level designer / business manager & co-owner of Ceres
Tharagavverug is the lead writer / quest designer

Because Hobgoblin & Sheihadul are both 50% owner of the company they need to agree on major business decisions. Hobgoblin told us on Discord that sometime last year they were very close to making a deal with an investor which would've let them keep working on the game full-time until they were ready to sell it on Steam Early Access. He felt the deal was fair enough, but evidently Sheihadul disagreed as he pulled them out of the deal at the last minute.

After that, they came to an agreement that Hobgoblin would focus entirely on the programming & Shehaidul would focus on the business side (managing finances and negotiating with potential publishers / investors). They apparently had several interested parties so things still seemed optimistic at that point.

Earlier this year HobGoblin told us he was concerned that he hadn't heard from Sheihadul in an unusually long time. Hobgoblin has since heard from Sheihadul but he is basically not answering questions specific to RB's financial status anymore. It seems like he simply doesn't care about the project anymore.

Since they do have a working engine / toolset and lots of assets, Tharagavverug came up with a backup plan to create a small standalone adventure module that they could finish in the relatively near future with little budget. They'd be able to give it to backers and sell it on Steam to everyone else for a reasonable price. If this was successful they could create other mini adventures with the goal of raising funds to get the main game in a state where it's ready for Early Access.

HobGoblin likes the idea. The problem is they need Sheihadul to agree before they can move forward or he could legally shut it down (as 50% owner). They've proposed the idea to him but as of now he has not agreed to it. Again, seems like he just doesn't care about RB anymore.

You may recall Ceres got a government grant of 100K Euros after the Kickstarter. However, they've only actually received 40K. The reason is the govt. expects progress to be shown (i.e., an upcoming release of something) in order to get the remainder of the grant funds. HobGoblin has said that if action isn't taken soon (either by making a deal with a publisher or proceeding with the backup plan) Ceres will probably have to declare bankruptcy by this Summer.

What happens if Ceres go bankrupt?

HobGoblin apparently personally owns the game engine & tools and some of the 3D character models, so he'll keep those no matter what. However, the IP and the rest of the assets / content that has been created is owned by the company so if it goes bankrupt, these will be auctioned off to pay down any debts. It is unlikely another game co would be interested in purchasing existing pieces of RB (especially since the engine won't be for sale). So in theory, Hobgoblin could buy back some or all of the assets if he can afford to.

Unfortunately that seems to now be the best case scenario. If he can get enough assets to complete a small adventure module they could attempt the backup plan with a new company sans Sheihadul. Seems like a longshot but maybe third time's a charm.
fingerscrossed.gif

It's fair to say the game was overly ambitious and horribly mismanaged. But I wouldn't call it a scam. Crowdfunding is always a risk. But a "Scam" implies that money collected was used on something other than developing the game and I've seen no evidence of that.

I've played the combat beta, it's very good (albeit still with some bugs and missing features). They've hired a lot of people to work on the game. Composers, writers, artists, level designers… including the artist / cartographer who created their world map (which was one of the stretch goals).

TLDR: Yes the game is in serious trouble due to one half-owner of the company seemingly giving up on the project.

Aemar

Arcane
Sheihadul (aka Timothy) is the level designer / business manager & co-owner of Ceres
Business manager... None of these people know how to conduct business not even on the smallest scale. They didn't even manage to secure a deal with a investor/publisher despite the fact they had a lot to show.

They should have kept their first project on a more modest level instead of the ambitious mess it turned out to be.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Probably should have kept the game within a scope they could achieve with the Kickstarter and Gov funding monies. At least until early access release.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I see here the very best businessmen giving precious advices for free. Glad I am here to embrace this knowledge. Pity HobGoblin42 isn’t here anymore so he cannot feel the grace of Codex’s guidance.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Those explanations don't make much sense tbh and there's obviously something else/more going on. Why would a guy who "doesn't care about the project" just veto no/low cost attempts at salvaging it. Having some mysterious businessman figure who never speaks and no one know where they are and what they are doing, but who's always available to pile all the blame on seems p convenient.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Every time I see someone necro this thread I get a little hope. At some point we need to all delete this thread and move on. Which step is that in mourning process?

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hobgoblin told us on Discord that sometime last year they were very close to making a deal with an investor which would've let them keep working on the game full-time until they were ready to sell it on Steam Early Access. He felt the deal was fair enough, but evidently Sheihadul disagreed as he pulled them out of the deal at the last minute.
After that, they came to an agreement that Hobgoblin would focus entirely on the programming & Shehaidul would focus on the business side (managing finances and negotiating with potential publishers / investors)
So at the last minute the guy pulled out of a deal with an investor that Hobgoblin thought would let them keep working on the game full-time, and afterwards they both agreed to put the same guy in charge of securing a deal with an investor, and now it turns out he didn't make any deals and is not interested in making deals?

Lucumo

Educated
Hobgoblin told us on Discord that sometime last year they were very close to making a deal with an investor which would've let them keep working on the game full-time until they were ready to sell it on Steam Early Access. He felt the deal was fair enough, but evidently Sheihadul disagreed as he pulled them out of the deal at the last minute.
After that, they came to an agreement that Hobgoblin would focus entirely on the programming & Shehaidul would focus on the business side (managing finances and negotiating with potential publishers / investors)
So at the last minute the guy pulled out of a deal with an investor that Hobgoblin thought would let them keep working on the game full-time, and afterwards they both agreed to put the same guy in charge of securing a deal with an investor, and now it turns out he didn't make any deals and is not interested in making deals?
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Found this posted on rpgwatch. https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/sho...7b700377ac5da2eb3&p=1061638093#post1061638093

Originally Posted by Dragonfly
According to several German gaming magazines, one of the founders of the company that's developing Realms Beyond was trying to find a publisher as they had run out of money. He didn't find one and hasn't gotten in touch with his colleagues since. They have no idea where he is, but they can't finish and release the game without his permission. So, RB is dead, I suppose.Most of this is true, but the "they have no idea where he is" is not really accurate. Let me try to summarize what I've gathered from their Discord.

For reference: HobGoblin42 (aka Peter) is the programmer & co-owner of Ceres
Tharagavverug is the lead writer / quest designer

Because Hobgoblin & Sheihadul are both 50% owner of the company they need to agree on major business decisions. Hobgoblin told us on Discord that sometime last year they were very close to making a deal with an investor which would've let them keep working on the game full-time until they were ready to sell it on Steam Early Access. He felt the deal was fair enough, but evidently Sheihadul disagreed as he pulled them out of the deal at the last minute.

After that, they came to an agreement that Hobgoblin would focus entirely on the programming & Shehaidul would focus on the business side (managing finances and negotiating with potential publishers / investors). They apparently had several interested parties so things still seemed optimistic at that point.

Earlier this year HobGoblin told us he was concerned that he hadn't heard from Sheihadul in an unusually long time. Hobgoblin has since heard from Sheihadul but he is basically not answering questions specific to RB's financial status anymore. It seems like he simply doesn't care about the project anymore.

Since they do have a working engine / toolset and lots of assets, Tharagavverug came up with a backup plan to create a small standalone adventure module that they could finish in the relatively near future with little budget. They'd be able to give it to backers and sell it on Steam to everyone else for a reasonable price. If this was successful they could create other mini adventures with the goal of raising funds to get the main game in a state where it's ready for Early Access.

HobGoblin likes the idea. The problem is they need Sheihadul to agree before they can move forward or he could legally shut it down (as 50% owner). They've proposed the idea to him but as of now he has not agreed to it. Again, seems like he just doesn't care about RB anymore.

You may recall Ceres got a government grant of 100K Euros after the Kickstarter. However, they've only actually received 40K. The reason is the govt. expects progress to be shown (i.e., an upcoming release of something) in order to get the remainder of the grant funds. HobGoblin has said that if action isn't taken soon (either by making a deal with a publisher or proceeding with the backup plan) Ceres will probably have to declare bankruptcy by this Summer.

What happens if Ceres go bankrupt?

HobGoblin apparently personally owns the game engine & tools and some of the 3D character models, so he'll keep those no matter what. However, the IP and the rest of the assets / content that has been created is owned by the company so if it goes bankrupt, these will be auctioned off to pay down any debts. It is unlikely another game co would be interested in purchasing existing pieces of RB (especially since the engine won't be for sale). So in theory, Hobgoblin could buy back some or all of the assets if he can afford to.

Unfortunately that seems to now be the best case scenario. If he can get enough assets to complete a small adventure module they could attempt the backup plan with a new company sans Sheihadul. Seems like a longshot but maybe third time's a charm.
fingerscrossed.gif

It's fair to say the game was overly ambitious and horribly mismanaged. But I wouldn't call it a scam. Crowdfunding is always a risk. But a "Scam" implies that money collected was used on something other than developing the game and I've seen no evidence of that.

I've played the combat beta, it's very good (albeit still with some bugs and missing features). They've hired a lot of people to work on the game. Composers, writers, artists, level designers… including the artist / cartographer who created their world map (which was one of the stretch goals).

TLDR: Yes the game is in serious trouble due to one half-owner of the company seemingly giving up on the project.

Quoting the gaywatch while we had the exact same info in this very thread...
Next, you'll send link about a blog talking about a new franchise called Baldur's Gate?

Mortmal

Arcane
Every time I see someone necro this thread I get a little hope. At some point we need to all delete this thread and move on. Which step is that in mourning process?
Same thing ,hope ,and immediately disapointment . Someone move the thread to retardo or gaming drama please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom