Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Playing the Moralist quest now. Hardcore mode makes the checks unreasonably hard, and I swear I'm about to murder someone - especially since a long dialogue and long, unskippable cutscenes precede it. But other than that, it's pretty cool, I like it better than Fascist.
How'd you get it to trigger?

Larianshill

Arbiter
After the third day, you go to sleep, and Limbic System asks you what you're doing it all for. Depending on your answer, you get a quest. To give a certain answer, you must have a corresponding political thought internalized - since I internalized Kingdom of Conscience and Revacholian Nationhood, I could choose between Fascist and Moralist quests.

Harthwain

Magister
Playing the Moralist quest now. Hardcore mode makes the checks unreasonably hard, and I swear I'm about to murder someone - especially since a long dialogue and long, unskippable cutscenes precede it.
Sounds like you're save-scumming it. Why bother playing on hardcore mode then?

Larianshill

Arbiter
I want the achievement, no other reason. Disco Elysium doesn't become any harder to beat on the hardcore mode, since the game basically plays itself, it just becomes harder to see new content, so I feel no guilt whatsoever.

Harthwain

Magister
I want the achievement, no other reason. Disco Elysium doesn't become any harder to beat on the hardcore mode, since the game basically plays itself, it just becomes harder to see new content, so I feel no guilt whatsoever.
Ah, I see. I didn't realize there is an achievement for finishing the hardcore mode specifically.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Does the game feel agonizingly slow to anyone else now? After each interaction, there's about five second window where your clicks don't register, as the screen slowly drags, and whatever animations have been going on finish.

Polyphemus

Educated
Objective evidence of the decline of Cuno:

Alright, there's no way I'm playing with the new voice acting. It was bad enough that they had one guy voice every skill.

Is there much actual new content, or just these vision quests?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Cuno is a little cunt. I got a lot of satisfaction out of punching him to the ground now that I am playing a character with a good Physical Instrument skill.
Wg5qCTw.jpg

Achievement Unlocked: Made Cuno Care

Zariusz

Arbiter
I started new game with Final Cut and it all feels weird, i just have this feeling "wait this shit wasn't there, there was something different". Its not about new content but more like changing what was there already. Ehh probably my bad memory, i finished this in 2019 and didnt touch it since i think.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Latro

Arcane
more fitting for a PC game with professional VO

yeah, and combat with brainless power fantasy story is more fitting for a PC game developed by professional gamedesigners.
Combat is gameplay. If you cannot differentiate gameplay from “power fantasy”, it is because you are taking the video game a tad too seriously.

Go read some books, kid.
Game by day and read by night bruh

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
There is now a Klaasje comparison too:

The new voice has none of the mystique of the original. It feels bog-standard. Even before that though, and I'm not sure if this is an artifact of video recording, but the new voice kinda sounds like she's speaking over Discord. The mixing is definitely a bit off.

Hellion

Arcane
I honestly can't fathom how one could possibly find "Old Klaasje" superior to "New Klaasje". Or even find her voice "more seductive".

Compared to the new VO, she sounded like a role straight out of a b-movie RLM usually reviews.

Drowed

Arcane
She sounded bored/tired, but it was kinda the point. I didn't see much difference in the two cases.

But Cuno was a regrettable loss.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Tiago the Crab-Man is another unfortunate casualty of the redub.

Gotten a significant way into my Final Cut run, and so far the only new voices I like over the originals are Rene, Gaston and the Hardies (Not Titus).

jackofshadows

Magister
That is a very lazy, no proper Klassje comparison. For a proper one VO samples should be taken from
interrogation
scene, even if there wasn't that many bits. Something tells me this new broad didn't deliver in that regard but I could be wrong ofc.

I like both the classic and the new VOs for their intended purposes.

What people are failing to consider is that VOs that sound good for a few lines, to provide maximum characterization for the character, may be overbearing or grating when extended to the character's entire dialogue. People bemoaning the change in Cuno's VO actor/direction don't understand how grating listening to him would have been in the long run - that's a good half hour of being screamed at by a manic kiddo-chan. Same with Joyce's steely delivery, or Kortenaer's drunken drawl. It makes sense that, for the purposes of full voice acting, the deliveries were scaled down to a more natural cadence.

IMO the classic VO was excellent at defining each character in a few brief lines, but the new VO is more pleasant, with nuances that reveal themselves in the long run. The change in direction showed that ZA/UM carefully considered the needs and limitations of both sparse and full voice acting, and picked actors and direction that harmonized with their design goals.

However, these comparison videos will naturally disappoint most, because they showcase a switch between an actor giving their all in a few brief lines to a restrained excerpt from a much larger body of work - as a result, line-for-line the classic VO will sound more lively. It's a lot like how Pepsi overwhelmingly wins in taste tests versus Coca Cola by the virtue of being sweeter, but the latter is an empirically more popular drink in the long run due to its more balanced taste.

Of course, ideally the classic setting would have used old VOs for this reason, but considering an overwhelming majority of people are going to play with full voice acting, I can see why they decided to save some disk space and just stick with a single, consistent VO for every setting.

Psychological is still king, though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom