Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

Cael

Arcane
There are good reasons why I have always preferred hand drawn art to CGI. One of the top ones is that it always look better hand drawn than CGI. Compare BG backgrounds to Fallout 2's, for example.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Huh, I didn't know that was a thing but that explains the suspicion I've had for a long time, that everybody was tracing/plagiarizing each other in some way and that there seemed to be so many "awesome"-looking pictures yet they all looked the same.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New job postings. I wonder if this graphics programmer job is related to the new renderer for NWN:EE they gave up.

https://beamdog.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=55

GRAPHICS PROGRAMMER
Beamdog, the company behind the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Editions, is looking for an experienced graphics programmer to help develop new titles and bring classics to modern platforms. As a graphics programmer at Beamdog you’ll work closely with art and technical leads to build new rendering features that bring our concepts to life.

Beamdog will consider remote work roles for this position, or offer relocation assistance for any eligible candidates.

Responsibilities
  • Work closely with artists and developers to prototype new visual techniques
  • Update and improve existing rendering systems for the next generation of consoles
  • Work with legacy projects to bring them into the modern era
  • Optimize CPU/GPU performance and memory usage in the rendering pipeline
  • Effectively communicate progress, problems, and solutions to project leadership
  • Generate relevant documentation and guides for developers, designers, or artists
Skills
  • 5+ years of professional experience working on rendering systems
  • Experience developing games for console
  • Able to plan and estimate own tasks with confidence
  • Highly competent in modern C++ with a good knowledge of data structures, patterns, and algorithms
  • Equally comfortable in greenfield and legacy codebases
  • Fluent in a modern graphics API for console
  • Excellent knowledge of modern GPU architecture rendering techniques
  • Good technical communication skills
  • Passion for quality and high level of polish
  • Demonstrated ability to debug complex rendering defects

This is likely for their new project. https://beamdog.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=56

DESIGN MANAGER

Beamdog is looking for an experienced game design manager to help build up and improve the design practice within Beamdog, and level up the design team to drive excellence in both process and execution. The design manager will lead a team of energetic systems, narrative, UX, and level designers, and work closely and directly with the Project Director to define the next generation of Beamdog titles.

The Design Manager is responsible for providing guidance and mentorship, and setting and maintaining standards for the design team in translating the vision of the Project Director into a tangible, high-quality game.

This job is located in Edmonton, AB. Relocation Assistance is available for eligible candidates

Responsibilities
  • Embody Beamdog Core Values; demonstrate and encourage/motivate others in the display of the values set
  • Coordinate and collaborate with the Project Director to establish and execute on a coherent project vision, and transform high-level concepts to actionable and deliverable designs.
  • Set and maintain a high standard of design & execution quality for oneself and the rest of the design team
  • Establish and maintain standards of game design documentation, and ensure consistent and up-to-date design documentation with the design team.
  • Establish design pillars and conventions for projects and review implementation to ensure accuracy
  • Maintain standards of technical design execution in in-engine scripting tools.
  • Oversee the planning and execution of game mechanics and features, and provide guidance & feedback to the design team on designs & design documentation
  • Take ownership of sections of gameplay and ensure delivery of working features within established timelines
  • When necessary, provide direct assistance to the design and development team, including scripting and fine-tuning of mechanics
  • Assist other team leaders in integrating the design process into a scrum agile framework
Qualifications
  • 5+ years practical experience in video game design
  • 3+ years experience of demonstrated experience managing and mentoring teams
  • Must be able to communicate regarding technical aspects of design with programming teams
  • Understanding of interdisciplinary dependencies and the ability to anticipate and proactively design around gameplay challenges
Preferred
  • Experience with common scripting languages (Lua, Blueprint)
  • Experience with, and understanding of best practices in developing in Unreal Engine 4
  • Knowledge of UI/UX design principles
  • Knowledge and understanding of CRPG systems
  • Technical background
  • 3+ years working in an agile development, preferably on a variety of team types

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well they ported very PC oriented classic games to consoles, why would they not do that with their new game.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Do you think they will use Kickstarter to fund it? Do you think Beammod even has the actual funds to create a modern RPG that doesn't last 2 hours?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Do you think they will use Kickstarter to fund it?
Despite BG2 ports, I actually doubt they have clout with the audience to get more than $300k. Unless people are really retarded, but I give them benefit of the doubt.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Well I'd say 300K is a bit much. Good-looking games like The Geyser and so got under 200K. It's true that those games were virtually unknowns, but Beamdog isn't well-liked either.

It all boils down to what they can show. If they showed the shit they're known for, it will be a train wreck. If it actually looked fine somehow, maybe some reluctant people would be willing to change their views, maybe not.

Anyway Beamdog is clearly not well-established, they haven't done anything of renown.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Can't they just fucking vanish already? Canadian developers are the biggest plague on this planet.

tumblr_inline_pjp8fgK5Us1v3aniv_540.png

deuxhero

Arcane
It's just going to be Jade Empire Enhanced Edition.

I recall Jade Empire worked on modern machines (the gog version anyways) and supports modern resolutions. KotOR on the other hand is a bitch to get running at a modern res+widescreen (requiring an external third party program) and is less than stable even then.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Do you think they will use Kickstarter to fund it?
Despite BG2 ports, I actually doubt they have clout with the audience to get more than $300k. Unless people are really retarded, but I give them benefit of the doubt.
They should've capitalized on "their" work before BG3 was announced. Now? The audience won't be there.

deuxhero

Arcane
What Beamdog could do is port D&D tactics and give it the minor fixes it needs (de-truncate names, add multiclassing, make Psionics have enough options they don’t run out). I don’t trust Beamdog to make a competent port though.

Sinatar

Arbiter
What Beamdog could do is port D&D tactics and give it the minor fixes it needs (de-truncate names, add multiclassing, make Psionics have enough options they don’t run out). I don’t trust Beamdog to make a competent port though.

D&D Tactics needs a lot more then minor fixes. Like allowing you to explore in real time, instead of slowly moving your party around 1 at a time in turn based mode when not in combat.

It also needs a complete difficulty overhaul, the game is an absolute joke.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Beamdog's new job postings suggest their new game is a first-person action RPG with some procedural level elements. https://www.beamdog.com/careers/

Level Designer:

Reporting to the Design Manager, Your knowledge of 1st person level design and procedural systems will be invaluable as you work on new and exciting IP Development.

• Create 1st person combat levels full of monsters, secrets, traps and more

• 2+ years experience in video game 1st person level design working on a team of 10 or more
  • Experience working with Unreal Engine 4 or equivalent engine
  • Experience developing 1st person and and procedural level layouts

Senior Combat Designer:

• Drive implementation of a fun, intuitive and flexible PVE combat system

• Work with programmers, animators and fellow designers to develop and rapidly iterate on game's core PVE combat

• 5+ years experience in video game combat design working on a team of 10 or more
  • Experience working with Unreal Engine 4 and Blueprint scripting
  • Experience developing 1st person and melee combat gameplay

Narrative Designer

• Strong understanding of branching narratives.

They're also looking for "Customer Success Agent" (customer service) and Brand Director. Maybe they're closer to reveal something.

There are also references to "Virtual Production" team, suggesting VR/AR development. I *think* they're working on multiple games including big flagship title and some smaller VR title.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's literally spelled out at the link LESS T_T provided:

4Sz7pC9.png

Again... customer support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom