Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I think Civvie has two big problems now (apart from the political stuff):
  • He has run out of games he really cares about, as was already mentioned in this thread
  • He's getting paid way too much for him to stop now
So now he needs to play *whatever* he doesn't really know in depth, and also keep the videos as "funny" as ever or the money might stop coming. I'm also betting even he doesn't understand why he's as popular as he is, I sure as hell don't, and I'm a subscriber. All this leads to a kind of desperation, which you can smell from his later videos. He's going through the motions for the $$$ and is too afraid to alter course or stop. The comparison to AVGN is apt.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Maybe he can change genre and move away from boomer shooters.

Was he the one that did that Blade Runner review? Surely there's other kind of 90s games he cares about besides first person shooters.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Saddest example of literally selling out is Nostalgia Critic
Can't comment, never could stomach the guy. That nu-male face alone is enough to turn anyone away.
db84a0cb-c7ef-4f6a-8728-beb6308e847e.jpg

Silentstorm

Learned
Maybe he can change genre and move away from boomer shooters.

Was he the one that did that Blade Runner review? Surely there's other kind of 90s games he cares about besides first person shooters.
He also made a review of one of Wario Land's games and MDK, looking at the Youtube list, one has a Yakuza icon, i guess it's something like GGManlives, he started with making videos about FPS games, boomer shooters at that, and now fans only want him to talk about FPS games or Postal and is probably wary of doing something else.

Also, i don't think other genres maybe get as many views, don't see that many adventure game focused Youtubers getting views, which sucks because there are a ton of cool or weird computer games from the 90's and onwards.

Oh, and the Wario game was the one for Virtual Boy and he made an actual review of it and enjoyed the game:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Those frenchies at Arkane had some balls to put tutorial and start the game in the sewers

A horse of course

I think I might unsub from civvie. He's so slow in releasing videos on his original core content (boomer shooters, mods etc.), and that Hellraiser video proves he doesn't have it in him to merely make entertaining content on any old topic he feels like.

Who would people recommend?

Silentstorm

Learned
Way less attempts at humor with that one, which may be a bonus for some people here, but he tends to focus only on mods for the classic DOOM games, though he does pay some attention to modern boomer shooters in one video or two.

Caim

Arcane
What are boomer shooters, actual good shooters?
FPS games aping the visual style and gameplay of the shooters of yore before they went full popamole, so around the time of Half-Life. Doom, Quake, Duke 3D, Blood, Serious Sam and the likes, games that focus on tight shooting mechanics over everything else. Over the last few years or so there has been a renaissance of the genre, both with titles from smaller studios (Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury) and even the big names going all in on the shooting mechanics (Wolfenstein The New Order, Doom 2016). While he did not coin the term, Civvie's bread and butter is playing ye olde FPS games (he got his name with his playthroughs of Doom and the Build Engine trinity), and his name is strongly linked with the genre even though his influence is was not all that great.

lightbane

Arcane
Isn't he even slower at uploads?
IIRC he either started to focus on streaming or is too busy with real life, like even more than usual. Or there's not much interesting stuff being released?
He may be slow, but at leas the provides quality content and is not a sell-out like Civvie or Mando. He's busy with RL due having had a kid born some time ago, so he's already more successful than the two previously mentioned.

Silentstorm

Learned
Nothing new, just him hating Redneck Rampage which doesn't shock me, it is certainly the least liked by reviewers and it is not a game i myself care for, though it did inform me the franchise had a racing game which is suprising.

Boleskine

Arcane
New video, in case any of you want to give Civvie some clicks and fund his donations to bailing out 'peaceful protestors'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom