Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Wesp5

Arcane
When the Unofficial Wesp5 patch for CP2077 comes out, I will then be motivated to try it again. I don't know how you can like it, when it is just a fresh coat of paint on better games, but that isn't anything I care about anymore

Sometimes after the difficult work of patching brainless fun is all I want and CP delivers! I didn't expect a deep RPG so I wasn't dissappointed, but I hope they fix their own issues and I need not to get involved for years again ;).

When I can get a better reaction out of NPCs on the street than in VtMB, CDPR will have my interest.

I don't really care about whether civilians run away or cower, but the stupid cars not being able to circumvent even a bike standing on the side of the road must be fixed :)!

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
I dont get why ppl still cling on to this pile of shit and can't move on.

i can only speak for myself but if you're a cyberpunk autist like me who has been dreaming for an AAA open world cyberpunk game that's true to the genre for all his life this game is all we have

Mankind Divided is not open-world open-world and it's not flawless but it is AAA, it's well written, looks gorgeous and is 10x better as an RPG than CP.

i prefer human revolution (and og deus ex ofc) to mankind divided but yeah, i enjoyed MD a lot but it didn't really give me the cyberpunk fix i wanted because all everyone was talking about in that game was augmentations.
augmentations are great and all but they should just be part of the whole package. the art direction, while being great, didn't satisfy my cyberpunk autism because it wasn't rooted in that 80s blade runner/anime style i love so much. still a good game though especially compared to the stuff we're getting now. i need more though, we're getting lots of fantasy rpgs and barely any cyberpunk ones. hopefully microsoft will do something with the shadowrun ip soon.

DeepOcean

Arcane
CDPR Night City felt too much like stock cyberpunk for me, very predictable, wished they were more creative on the art style. People remember Blade Runner, Ghost in The Shell, Akira, Deus Ex because each had their own unique take of how a technological advanced dystopia would look like. The way they shown Night City, I would actually wanted to live in there and didnt look distopic at all and it was obvious CDPR was aiming at Rockstar and I didnt like the Rockstar style parody, it felt weak and clashing with the super serious tone of the main quest.

CDPR approach was sort of lets have all the cliches together + "lets ape Rockstar",did it work? More or less, it was pretty, but it didnt work all that good for me, maybe it is my problem for expecting more than pasteurized MVP from cynical corporations after quick large amounts of cash.

If Microsoft eventually do something with Shadowrun, for the love of God, dont do this "let's ape Rockstar" thing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
CDPR approach was sort of lets have all the cliches together + "lets ape Rockstar",did it work?

In the case of the Witchers CDPR approach was "Witcher is a Potato treasure, we're all Potatoes, let's squeeze every drop of our blood, tears and sweat and make something smart and tasteful we can be proud of".

For Cyberpunk their approach was "let's make something so kewl and awesomebutton the target audience of GTA (average IQ 78) will give all them billions to us instead".

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
CDPR approach was sort of lets have all the cliches together + "lets ape Rockstar",did it work?

In the case of the Witchers CDPR approach was "Witcher is a Potato treasure, we're all Potatoes, let's squeeze every drop of our blood, tears and sweat and make something smart and tasteful we can be proud of".

For Cyberpunk their approach was "let's make something so kewl and awesomebutton the target audience of GTA (average IQ 78) will give all them billions to us instead".

Doubtful, in fact I think it's quite obvious they were mesmerized by graphics and not even sought "downgrades" (shame,could've even worked MUCH BETTER in the end) so that kind of action-game framerates could be sustained. Nvidia has an obvious hand in this and should get an AWFULLY LOT MORE flak - just IMO.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
i don't mind that night city is sort of a pastiche of every cyberpunk city ever created simply because there just isn't any game that has a "classic" cyberpunk setting like this and certainly not on that scale. i think the original deus ex comes closest but even in deus ex you're mostly in secret military bases or goverment labs and never on a rainy city street with neon signs everywhere (aside from hong kong but it's still not the same) so to speak and while i love JC denton he's too much of a super agent for me personally. i don't particularly like V as a character but i like that he's closer to someone like case from neuromancer in the sense that he's a regular guy living in the gutter. what's sad is that cdpr didn't do anything great with the story or the characters. i haven't played witcher yet but from the way everyone was talking about the story of those games i expected really great things storywise from cyberpunk 2077 but the main plot is really boring, predictable and none of the characters wowed me.

Gargaune

Magister
The way they shown Night City, I would actually wanted to live in there and didnt look distopic at all
I wouldn't go as far as wanting to live in it, but I think they did sort of miss the mark on representing their dystopian setting in NC's architecture. Bear with me, I've got a theory that needs laying out here...

In this one respect, I think CDPR might've been too thorough for their own good. From what I recall, the studio actually consulted some urban planners when they were doing the layout for the city. Now, when you're a professional, you instinctively gravitate towards applying your skills correctly, and - this is pure speculation on my part - this might be exactly why Night City doesn't look as intimidating as you might've hoped. For instance, an important aspect of urban planning is controlling for street width when setting out height guidelines for buildings to ensure adequate levels of sunlight throughout the day. And when you look at Night City, bingo, you see a lot of wide boulevards and ample breathing room.

What you don't see is the city looming over you. Ever. Sure, you've got your megabuildings, but you're never boxed in between them, you never feel like they're "pressing down on you", you're never really forced to take in their scope. Night City is, with some indulgence, well designed, but that actively works against it and this is why I said that NC reminds me more of Fukuoka in Ghost in the Shell, which was decidedly on the less miserable side of cyberpunk fiction.

Now take a look at these photos of the former Walled City of Kowloon for what no urban planning looks like:
KWC_-_1989_Aerial.jpg
KWC_-_Alley.jpg

Slightly different vibe, eh? With Cyberpunk, you want the city to be overgrown, misshapen and oppressive, you want to mirror the hopeless insignificance of the individual in the environment, but I never got that from 2077. About the only time I got a brief vibe like that from a videogame in recent memory was in DX4, when entering Golem City and seeing that twisted, monstrous mass of cables heaving overhead, that definitely made me go "okay, I'm in the bad part of town now."

TLDR: I suspect CDPR were too conscientious about building Night City as a realistic, believable city, and lost track of making it the dysfunctional, overbearing locale that would've best served the fiction. And that's just in terms of architecture, nevermind the weather patterns. And I don't wanna go too hard in on this, Night City looks amazing, they did a great job with their rendition, but I feel like it's not quite the flavour I'd have gone for.

Danikas

Arcane
In this one respect, I think CDPR might've been too thorough for their own good. From what I recall, the studio actually consulted some urban planners when they were doing the layout for the city. Now, when you're a professional, you instinctively gravitate towards applying your skills correctly, and - this is pure speculation on my part - this might be exactly why Night City doesn't look as intimidating as you might've hoped. For instance, an important aspect of urban planning is controlling for street width when setting out height guidelines for buildings to ensure adequate levels of sunlight throughout the day. And when you look at Night City, bingo, you see a lot of wide boulevards and ample breathing room.

What you don't see is the city looming over you. Ever. Sure, you've got your megabuildings, but you're never boxed in between them, you never feel like they're "pressing down on you", you're never really forced to take in their scope. Night City is, with some indulgence, well designed, but that actively works against it and this is why I said that NC reminds me more of Fukuoka in Ghost in the Shell, which was decidedly on the less miserable side of cyberpunk fiction.

Now take a look at these photos of the former Walled City of Kowloon for what no urban planning looks like:
Thing is you have places like this in the game whole city doesen't look like that to bring some visual diversity. I mean you have whole shanty town districts right next to clean and sterile towering skyscrappers in the corpo zone it makes a very good contrast. You cant expect corpo middle class and the rich to live in something like Walled city of kowloon it wouldn't make sense since almost everybody who lived there was either poor or a criminal. Here look at some of my screenshots of city areas that are not so well off.

photomode_14022021_00gfktg.png

photomode_14022021_000mkyy.png

photomode_08032021_00ldkp2.png

photomode_09032021_238dk3g.png

photomode_15012021_08dvkyo.png

photomode_23022021_093vjnk.png

photomode_19012021_13e7kgu.png

photomode_23022021_16o3kbn.png

photomode_25022021_07hjkqp.png

photomode_19032021_051ijv3.png

photomode_18022021_07f0jqu.png

photomode_07032021_01gdjra.png

photomode_18022021_07v3ks7.png

photomode_18022021_017ekfu.png

photomode_11032021_02rxjvb.png

photomode_08032021_00n0jel.png

photomode_01032021_15rsjlb.png

photomode_02032021_15g8ka0.png

Last edited:

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
It's like Elite Dangerous all over again. Does it look really fucking good at times? Yes. Is it fun to play? ...

Yes. But then again I've enjoyed Bethesda RPGs combat even though I know it's shitty. I had more fun with CP combat than Witcher's, but it was still too easy

Wesp5

Arcane
I had more fun with CP combat than Witcher's, but it was still too easy

That's one problem I have right now. Okay, I'm still only doing the middle difficulty missions, but I have no issues at all beating them without special implants or mods. Also modding weapons and clothes makes no sense at all when chances are high that you find a better item on the next mission and the rather more rare mods would have been wasted. So is there a way to remove mods as easy as weapon attachments? Because this would fix the issue on the spot!

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
That's one problem I have right now. Okay, I'm still only doing the middle difficulty missions, but I have no issues at all beating them without special implants or mods. Also modding weapons and clothes makes no sense at all when chances are high that you find a better item on the next mission and the rather more rare mods would have been wasted. So is there a way to remove mods as easy as weapon attachments? Because this would fix the issue on the spot!

There's a perk under crafting 'Waste Not Want Not'. Needs 16 technical ability though. Let's you disassemble and retain the mods.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I had more fun with CP combat than Witcher's, but it was still too easy

Most mods also scale with level, so becoming attached to them makes no sense. Well, except some rare +15% Crit rate / +30% Crit damage. I've only seen maybe 1 of such type "loose". All others came from looted clothing items.
Plus if you can craft them, chances are you can craft way better versions then anything you find (certainly true for the likes of Armadillo or Crunch).

Plus if you find or buy a nice Legendary gun that fits your build/weapon preferences, it may easily last you 10 levels, so you don't have to worry about changing it for a while. Also goes for some Rare Iconics, like Widow Maker or Overwatch.

Gargaune

Magister
Thing is you have places like this in the game whole city doesen't look like that to bring some visual diversity. I mean you have whole shanty town districts right next to clean and sterile towering skyscrappers in the corpo zone it makes a very good contrast. You cant expect corpo middle class and the rich to live in something like Walled city of kowloon it wouldn't make sense since almost everybody who lived there was either poor or a criminal. Here look at some of my screenshots of city areas that are not so well off.
I'm not feeling it, man. The images are great, I do agree that Night City looks amazing, but I'm not getting that sensation of claustrophobia and scale, I don't think you really feel "small" all that often when you're exploring. Nevermind the interior shots since those can't represent what I mean, it's the outdoors - even as the buildings are large, you generally find yourself in pretty ample space. Of the ones you posted, I think this one gets the closest to what I'm picturing:

Maybe it's a little hard for me to explain, but let me try with a visual example. Check out the following two screenshots one by one, take a moment with each.
corpoplaza1.jpg
corpoplaza2.jpg

Corpo Plaza, night time, rain, neon, fuck yes! But the first one, normal perspective at ground level, doesn't give you a good sense of scale and, push come to shove, it's not altogether that different from what you might see around Leicester Square in London. You gotta look up to get that "whoa" factor, and that's not something that you typically do a lot when playing. Granted, a videogame, be it FPP or TPP, can't leverage the directed camera angles of a movie experience, so it's down to the level design to pick up the slack, and that goes back to my original point - that I suspect CDPR prioritised creating a "realistic" space over what would've best captured the cyberpunk "vibe."

To press a little further, consider that the first screenshot you posted is indoors, whereas that second Kowloon picture I posted earlier is outside, it's an alleyway between buildings. If you read up on that Kowloon entry, they mention that people actually set up ramps between various levels of adjoining buildings and that they used the roofs for leisure - cramped, chaotic, and overgrown.

Now, I completely agree that you shouldn't have all of Night City be like that, and I'm not arguing that Corpo Plaza isn't fine the way it is, but I'd say the game would've benefited from having some of that going on, planning permissions be damned. I think the solution would've been to have more adjoining megabuildings with narrow alleys between them, more overhangs and more vertical traversal like, I dunno, Dishonored, which would've forcefully confronted the player with the sheer scale of these tower blocks. I know that CBP has some of that in its shanty town locations, but the skyscrapers are well spaced apart and "neat" in the sense of urban development, litter and scumbags notwithstanding.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I don't know just because things are a corporate dystopia doesn't mean things will be smashed. Corporations still like aesthetics. I agree that perhaps a Kowloon-esque section on the outskirts would be kino

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

photomode_14022021_00gfktg.png

photomode_14022021_000mkyy.png

photomode_08032021_00ldkp2.png

photomode_09032021_238dk3g.png

photomode_15012021_08dvkyo.png

photomode_23022021_093vjnk.png

photomode_19012021_13e7kgu.png

photomode_23022021_16o3kbn.png

photomode_25022021_07hjkqp.png

photomode_19032021_051ijv3.png

photomode_18022021_07f0jqu.png

photomode_07032021_01gdjra.png

photomode_18022021_07v3ks7.png

photomode_18022021_017ekfu.png

photomode_11032021_02rxjvb.png

photomode_08032021_00n0jel.png

photomode_01032021_15rsjlb.png

photomode_02032021_15g8ka0.png
what seetings

DeepOcean

Arcane
The way they shown Night City, I would actually wanted to live in there and didnt look distopic at all
I wouldn't go as far as wanting to live in it, but I think they did sort of miss the mark on representing their dystopian setting in NC's architecture. Bear with me, I've got a theory that needs laying out here...

Slightly different vibe, eh? With Cyberpunk, you want the city to be overgrown, misshapen and oppressive, you want to mirror the hopeless insignificance of the individual in the environment, but I never got that from 2077. About the only time I got a brief vibe like that from a videogame in recent memory was in DX4, when entering Golem City and seeing that twisted, monstrous mass of cables heaving overhead, that definitely made me go "okay, I'm in the bad part of town now."

TLDR: I suspect CDPR were too conscientious about building Night City as a realistic, believable city, and lost track of making it the dysfunctional, overbearing locale that would've best served the fiction. And that's just in terms of architecture, nevermind the weather patterns. And I don't wanna go too hard in on this, Night City looks amazing, they did a great job with their rendition, but I feel like it's not quite the flavour I'd have gone for.
Also, Kowloon was the product of the political conflict of the chinese goverment and the Great Britain goverment, it was an old chinese fort, old refugees from the chinese civil war and all the political convulsions on mainland China gone there. When the british goverment tried to evict the residents, the residents asked China for help, Mao then using a term on an old treaty the british made with still Imprerial China, claimed the fort was chinese territory and threatened the british with war if they gone inside.

The british after the second world war and after losing India, werent all that confident on keeping Hong Kong from a now unified China so they avoided giving Mao excuses for a war and didnt try to evict the people in there. The result was, the british had no authority inside but the chinese goverment also didnt have any authority because they would need to occupy Hong Kong for that and the british had nuclear weapons. The slum grown on that vertical way because the british goverment made sure to demolish any building built outside the old fort perimeter as the last thing they wanted was a huge horizontal slum they had no control over and that the chinese goverment could claim as its territory, so people build up.

Kwaloon Walled City was controlled by the organized crime that made a lucrative business of using the place as headquarters for their black market operations on China and Hong Kong. Now just replace the chinese goverment and the british goverment by Arasaka and Militech and Kowloon walled City with Pacifica, it would be nice seeing corporation political fights affecting the daily lives of people on Night City and how people feel like ants smashed between titans that dont care about them but instead we got "It is about soul and stuff with Keanu Reeves, dude, smoke some highly spiritual cyber marijuana with me, dude."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom