Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gaming April Fools 2021 Sucked

SunRypeSteve

Barely Literate
It seems that the big boys in the gaming industry have decided that the risks outweigh the benefits when it comes to humour in 2021.

Over the last decade or so gaming companies have used April fools as a way to connect with their communities, as well as an opportunity for free advertising.

The last couple of years, potentially due to COVID-19. There has been a significant decrease in the hilarity that ensues during these times.

Should companies be more willing to take advantage of April fools, or is it wise for them not to take any risks?

lightbane

Arcane
There used to be some fun stuff done that day here in the Codex, like hidden/forced minigames. Now not even that. :decline:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Problems is that most gaming companies have now woke people running their less creative departments like marketing and those people really have very little sense of humor.

Silentstorm

Learned
From what i saw, it wasn't just the most "woke" guys that didn't participate, almost no one seems to have tried across all medium, maybe Covid just made sure that people felt like joking less this year?

The most i saw was Civvie making a fake game for a review...and that's it.

Zlaja

Arcane
There used to be some fun stuff done that day here in the Codex, like hidden/forced minigames. Now not even that. :decline:

Lazy mods these days. I still remember the awesome "we're all just numbers" Auschwitz gag.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
April Fools is the dumbest fucking thing ever. Always dreaded it because people do the dumbest fucking shit then just... "April Fools." I hope it gets canceled. Crossing my fingers that some white dude did something during some April Fools that will make it white supremacy.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
It's shit because the glut of creatively bankrupt misers and fools in charge of these things have no ideas or originality beyond "Yet More Goddamned Dating Sim/Visual Novel Parodies aren't we so quirky laugh at this foreign crap we're lambasting ha ha ha".

It's pathetic. Stuff like the Gothic microtransactions is new and amusing, though.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
April Fools is the dumbest fucking thing ever. Always dreaded it because people do the dumbest fucking shit then just... "April Fools." I hope it gets canceled. Crossing my fingers that some white dude did something during some April Fools that will make it white supremacy.
Seriously though, April Fools is an awful holiday. Good thing in my book if it's dying.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
EVE Online announced that they were adding an in-game stargate that would better link the notorious 'Stain'-region to the rest of the galaxy, but also mentioned that the gate's activation was infinitely postponed because a freighter jumped through the gate sideways and got stuck.

SunRypeSteve

Barely Literate
April fools is an awesome "holiday". Everyone who hates it is really really boring,

~Quality content brought to you by a Quality Poster. We look forward to seeing the heights of this quality in years to come. -DU

Last edited by a moderator:
I still remember my high score on the text adventure. Though I don't even remember what exactly it was, if it was time or minimal actions to completion.

Falksi

Arcane
This still remains the best ever for me. NMS's Mortal Kombat "Full Gore & Boss Characters" cheat.

Which like a twat I unbelievable fell for, and spent a good few days with a 1p piece taped to my MK cart , and trying again & again to input the button presses.

3MGuX0d.jpg

g4FArDu.jpg

I mean, FFS, "Tape a 1p piece to the top of the cart to fool the SNES with the extra weight" :lol: What silly cunt falls for something like that? Well this silly cunt and his just as daft mates did :stupid:

Lead programmer "Rolf Apilo" FFS :mad:

Work of genius.

Last edited:

Gastrick

Cipher
They have been trying to stop people from celebrating any holidays since the lockdowns started. Even ones that are completely unrelated to social gatherings like April fools. It must make people easier to manipulate if they don't even have basic modern culture.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
People are too scared to discover that there is no actual difference between April's fools and real life.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I for one am glad that these friendly neighborhood corporations are being good allies by not celebrating April fools and potentially spreading hatespeach. I mean ''humor''? What year are we in?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom