Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Üstad

Arcane
It's just they need to remove hardcoded limits, such as city limits even for modded games. We don't need zoomer interfaces. I dont even care about graphics, just remove the hardcoded limits, the modders will create something better than these greedy fucks.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's just they need to remove hardcoded limits, such as city limits even for modded games. We don't need zoomer interfaces. I dont even care about graphics, just remove the hardcoded limits, the modders will create something better than these greedy fucks.

They already confirmed they've removed a bunch in the discord QA that someone posted earlier in the thread. Can't remember exact details, but IIRC they removed the civilisation limit for one.

Üstad

Arcane

They already confirmed they've removed a bunch in the discord QA that someone posted earlier in the thread. Can't remember exact details, but IIRC they removed the civilisation limit for one.

OH SHIT, YES! :bounce:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
This is going to be GOOD!
*assuming the mod community comes back and actually ports their stuff over.

Why does it have to be the old teams porting their stuff over?

This is a great opportunity for NEW teams, too. The modding community never died. We still get new Rome and Medieval 2 mods every year, because they're the most moddable TW games.
Now new teams can work on the remastered engine with reduced limits, which is cool.
Some old teams with in-progress mods that are almost finished and have lots of scripts for the old engine will likely stick to the original Rome, and that's fine.
Because frankly, people before cellphone culture spend massive effort to self-educate, and tried to make something extraordinal. New teams, was there exe hacking? Was there massive modification in processing? Was there more than naked mod, or using filters for texture upscaling? Decent mods take time to make, in spare time about 5 years until a bigger stuff is done from scratch. Porting mods from original is faster because all text is done, but when they are not done by original team, things might change for worse.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Ironically, I think the first Rome had more KANGZ shit then Rome 2 when it came to the Egyptians. Rome 2 was grounded in the successor kingdom portrayal, Rome 1 was some extremely strange blend of pre and post Ptolemy Egypt.

I mean I don't think it's ironic at all, because they have been trying to be more historically grounded as their resources have increased (ToB was a flawed game alright, but it was certainly one of the most historically accurate maps they've ever done -- there isn't much isn't much in the way of pop cultural references for the Old (Welsh) North).

IIRC, their m.o. for history is to be historical as possible while still being iconic and recognizable; hence, e.g., the prevalence of Corinthian helmets for Greeks. But that doesn't really lend itself to completely ahistorical things like 'black Hannibal'.

The likelihood that a completely new team is going to make its own classical age mod for Rome Remastered is very high.

Here's hoping. I mean the biggest effort of labour into truly porting the mods over seems like it would be updating the models and maybe textures (assuming upscaling wasn't an option), if they're to not stand out awkwardly against more modern looking assets in the remaster.

Anyway, I really don't understand the validity in hating a remaster that's clearly far beyond the minimal viable effort, when even the audience of a niche YouTube channel focused on Rome 1 / Medieval 2 / their mods struggles to make the damn thing run well:

bkMI1bM.png

(Which is exactly what you'd expect.) How can it be a cheap cash-grab when it's clearly much-needed and much more than simply recompiling it?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually, there should be city limits. Rome age city population did have limits, and agriculture production supplied FAR less food than nowadays. ESPECIALLY in places like czech highlands or scottish highlands. Norway was kinda meh, but they had fisheries.

Frankly, environment factors were really important limiting factors. Rome didn't expand into czech basin for at least two reasons. There were no money to rob. And boars who lived in forest around "roads" had 500 kg weight (and were adrenaline addicts). South France on the other hand was nice expansion area where Rome could rob a LOT, and get a lot of taxes. Egypt as tributary was sweet and completely necessary for continued Rome existence.

Not including stuff like that into game about Roman conquest would be big oversight.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, there should be city limits. Rome age city population did have limits, and agriculture production supplied FAR less food than nowadays. ESPECIALLY in places like czech highlands or scottish highlands. Norway was kinda meh, but they had fisheries.

Frankly, environment factors were really important limiting factors. Rome didn't expand into czech basin for at least two reasons. There were no money to rob. And boars who lived in forest around "roads" had 500 kg weight (and were adrenaline addicts). South France on the other hand was nice expansion area where Rome could rob a LOT, and get a lot of taxes. Egypt as tributary was sweet and completely necessary for continued Rome existence.

Not including stuff like that into game about Roman conquest would be big oversight.

"City limits" means that the old engine has a hardcoded limit of 199 (IIRC, could be lower) cities that can exist on the map, which means you can't have more than 199 provinces. So if you want to make a mod that covers a larger geographic area you have to make concessions. Let's say you expand the map into India, that means you have to remove ten provinces elsewhere so you can add ten in India.

Same with faction limits.

The removal of those two can make for much bigger maps with a much broader selection of factions. No longer is it a difficult decisions whether to include Illyrians or Thracians, now you can just include both.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What's known about Roman era India? Aside of some trade trough Egypt and future Turkey India was nearly irrelevant for them. It's better to mod the game to show India and related only and ignore Rome, and they still can do it within 199 province limit.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just watching stream when Angles, or Welsh, are conquering Rome. Conquering Rome is being bit interrupted because streamer is showing Magic the Gathering card, but it looks like Rome would fall. (When chariots will not be killed by pathfinding.)

Now he has problem how to open siege tower bridges, but two brave men jumped throught them, and then bridge fall on the wall, trying to kill them.

Romans are fighting on walls, while chariots riding a tour through the city, observing architecture. Then they found some Roman cavalry standing on square, and decided to charge them. They were sucessful.

After he threw two units of peasants to delay unit of principes that was hurrying to rescue government officials before they'd sign capitulation, timer ended and Rome was screwed.

Then he exterminated Rome to pay debts. Game posted message about some faction called S. Q. R. was exterminated, and he made Angles capital in Rome.

But frankly 10000+ gold gained by obliterating Rome didn't paid his debts thus he was still 3000 in debt.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

"City limits" means that the old engine has a hardcoded limit of 199 (IIRC, could be lower) cities that can exist on the map, which means you can't have more than 199 provinces. So if you want to make a mod that covers a larger geographic area you have to make concessions. Let's say you expand the map into India, that means you have to remove ten provinces elsewhere so you can add ten in India.

Same with faction limits.

The removal of those two can make for much bigger maps with a much broader selection of factions. No longer is it a difficult decisions whether to include Illyrians or Thracians, now you can just include both.

There was also a frustrating hardcoded limit on the number of civs, several Medieval 2 mods hit the same issue as well.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yep, Rome 2 had a more accurate portrayal of the faction.

Ironically, I think the first Rome had more KANGZ shit then Rome 2 when it came to the Egyptians. Rome 2 was grounded in the successor kingdom portrayal, Rome 1 was some extremely strange blend of pre and post Ptolemy Egypt.

The sad thing about Rome 2 is that its disastrous release and bad mechanics overshadows the fact that they did their research much better than for Rome 1. Rome 1 was a janky fantasy game that was only salvaged by the sheer autism of the modding community.

Research, eh?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Yep, Rome 2 had a more accurate portrayal of the faction.

The sad thing about Rome 2 is that its disastrous release and bad mechanics overshadows the fact that they did their research much better than for Rome 1. Rome 1 was a janky fantasy game that was only salvaged by the sheer autism of the modding community.

Research, eh?

I think Rome 2 started alright from that perspective, but it got woker and woker with updates and DLC.

When did they add the female general stuff?

Consul

Arbiter
Oy2jOMr.jpg

WE WUZ ROMANZ AND SHIEET!

What else would you expect from Western developers? Even remasters of older titles, where little to nothing is even changed, are not spared from this mind disease. Overall, this remaster seems to be a bit underwhelming as far as visuals go, the interface is ugly and looks like something out of a mobile game, unit models look kind of weird and uncanny.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
^^
The worst thing isn't the black Romans, it's how they clearly simply adjusted the hue on the models skin color. You're not actually getting African or Gauliish or Persian legionnaires, you're getting slight palette swaps of the same basic human model.

I believe the female generals became a thing with the "2.0" update. Whole new game guys!

Consul

Arbiter
Hmm. This is the company that added female generals to Rome 2 in an update, probably because the internal culture has correspondingly changed since the original release. They also took the chance to score points by saying “if you don’t like it, don’t play.” :smug:

Except that was blown way out of proportion by overgrown children online. Wasn't a thing at all in any of the cultures that have a historical tendency towards misogyny, and was peripheral for the rest, bar the Kushites (for obvious reasons).

People choosing to rage as a hobby doesn't make anything they say any more truthful.
They didn't do any SJW stuff up until now as far as I know. So the campaign was effective in steering them from that direction for quite some time. If people are passionate about truth and don't want history to be rewritten in order to please delusional, brainwashed and miniscule segment of the population then that suddenly makes them manchildren? But when SJW get outraged about similar things in culture then that's somewhat fine? Why can't the other side use the same tactics as you do? Especially, since they seem to be effective.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I'm assuming those black hastati are from the regional recruitment feature, which can at least be disabled.

Consul

Arbiter
I'm assuming those black hastati are from the regional recruitment feature, which can at least be disabled.
This guy just started the Scipii campaign, so he's only using the units he had from the start. Never heard of the guy actually, got his video in my recommendations so I clicked it out of curiosity. He shilled hard for the remaster at the start of this video, which was quite off putting for me.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

But where were they recruited? Carthage? Egypt? Judea? Pretty long odds on them actually being recruited in Nubia.

Yeah, no idea. Sounds like the African = black myth rearing its ugly head again.

I don't really care as long as it can be disabled and they have claimed all the regional recruitment stuff can be disabled.

It is a bit odd that the Scipii apparently start with these guys though.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

It would be surprising alright, but the idea isn't fundamentally as ridiculous as it seems, because the children of freedmen (and women) were automatically given Roman citizenship. It's more the 'volume' that makes me think it would be Nubian or whatever.

edit: ofc it was cherry picked, the exact same unit a second or so apart:
PdzS7nO.png

Last edited:

Consul

Arbiter

It would be surprising alright, but the idea isn't fundamentally as ridiculous as it seems, because the children of freedmen (and women) were automatically given Roman citizenship. It's more the 'volume' that makes me think it would be Nubian or whatever.

edit: ofc it was cherry picked, the exact same unit a second or so apart:
PdzS7nO.png

The phrase "cherry picked" implies dishonesty on my part, I merely captured a screen from the game that showcased the trend that is ever present among Western productions. Even if there was only one Black soldier in the entire army my point would still stand. There is no evidence of Blacks ever serving in the third century republican Roman army and the whole thing seems ridiculous. Presenting Roman demographics in this way is dishonest and only serves to promote a very specific political agenda, which is being pushed by banks, corporations and the most powerful people in the world.

A horse of course

This guy just started the Scipii campaign, so he's only using the units he had from the start. Never heard of the guy actually, got his video in my recommendations so I clicked it out of curiosity. He shilled hard for the remaster at the start of this video, which was quite off putting for me.

Anyone who got early asssex is a proven shill for CA. They've retaliated against negative 'tubbers in the past (LegendofTotalAsshurt, Darren's Drunkstream which led to people at CA literally putting his face up as a target for darts in the office).

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
In another video there's black Iberians and black mercenary hoplites in the service of Carthage, although I haven't seen any black Gauls yet:
unknown.png

I'm not really sure what's going on here, I watched a Galilic campaign that went into Iberia and there was no ethnic variety so Carthage's mix seems to be based on Iberians being recruited in Africa which doesn't explain the Roman situation. It's hardly game breaking or anything, just really goofy.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013

Research, eh?

It's unfortunate that they added woke shit further down the line, but that doesn't change the fact that when it was released, Rome 2 portrayed the 3rd century BC much more accurately than Rome 1 ever did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom