Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empire of Sin - Brenda and John Romero's turn-based Mafia strategy

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
This is not a game. This is a colostomy bag with a cherry bomb lit inside it. I got it off game pass and was groaning out loud at how terrible it is after 15 minutes. THE WORST. Brenda wins again the woke wymmin are doing it for themselves.

This game gave me suppurating anal hemorrhoids and I deleted it a half hour after I DLed 9 GB of it to install it.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
list of games designed by women that were actually good:

Women cannot into game design. They think if they just show up as women, that means it will be good and people will play it because. This has cost companies billions of dollars already and yet they continue to fund these vanity projects by talentless hacks like Brenda.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
If we're doing this, let's cut right to the heart. Wizardry 8 is a fucking masterpiece. Go ahead and look up who the lead designer was. I dare you.

You're like the OnlyFans member of Brenda's delusional fan club. This is what Brenda tells people. Then there is the other thing called reality. Brenda did nothing for decades but go around and tell people she created Wizardry. It is like Kathy Bates as Adam Sandler's mother in THE WATERBOY telling him Thomas Edison didn't invent electricity, SHE invented electricity.

Brenda was the hint line girl who liked to stand behind real game designers and give them advice. I met her and knew she was 100% charlatan within 15 milliseconds.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is 50% off right now. I wish English wasn't my second language so I could make jokes at its expense, but if this game is at half price less than a year after release, then the joke is already there.

Lhynn

Arcane
This is 50% off right now. I wish English wasn't my second language so I could make jokes at its expense, but if this game is at half price less than a year after release, then the joke is already there.
Im following the patch notes. Lots of things seem to be getting changed and switched around, but still not worth the asking price. Ill probably get it once its 75% off or better, if fitgirl doesnt get around to updating it.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
list of games designed by women that were actually good:

Women cannot into game design. They think if they just show up as women, that means it will be good and people will play it because. This has cost companies billions of dollars already and yet they continue to fund these vanity projects by talentless hacks like Brenda.

Well, she's definitely no Roberta Williams. I think her main claim to fame was being the only one to be made John Romero's bitch and to suck it down.

6KyNCWo.jpg

As for Wizardry? Popular history in the gaming press doesn't really acknowledge women in gamedev until at least... 2012, when according to that same press women made the best games the industry has ever known because vagina. So I guess it doesn't count. Hey, I don't make the mainstream gaming press' rules they hold over others, sorry. That is THEIR party, lately turning anti-Israel.
:discohitler:

Aemar

Arcane
Everything you need to know about this game's worth.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

They're certainly optimistic. I can be, too: despite having a launch where the CCU cratered so much like Artifact that Volvo should file for copyright lawsuit - 1 month to lose 90% of their players where even Cyberpunk'd held onto more than that - from going by the current trend of their increase in positive reviews from the a la carve Paradox death by DLC (RIP Europa Universalis IV), to get 63% of the 65 new reviews in the last 30 days positive, it is very possible that in a few years' time they may have reached 50% overall review score. If they someday release out of Early Access they might be able to sell this under a Complete Edition for $5 on Steam Holiday sale and break more than triple digits in new sales.

Here's hoping!
:martini:

Lhynn

Arcane
Just finished the game. Feels incredibly barebones, like a tech demo with a facebook game tacked on.
The core of the gameplay is the turn based combat, as odd as it is for an empire management game, the bulk of your time will be spent murdering tons of men and wombyn, in a 50/50 even split. I brutalized close to 400 wombyn through my playthrough, which seems so incredibly retarded for a game about the mob. The wombat is serviceable, even if incredibly simplistic. All you need to know is that if you arent using a machine-gun, you are doing it wrong. Though there are degrees of wrongness, melee being the objectively pants on head retarded approach. Wont go into too much detail because all stats are self explanatory.
Then theres the empire managment aspect, this shit is simple, you do battle with the occupants of every abandoned building, murdering hobos by the hundreds. Then turn them into business. Other than knowing to upgrade shit when you have money to spare theres nothing to it. Yes, you could look into it in detail, see what kind of business would be more profitable, blah blah blah. Waste of time, just keep attacking shit.

On the gang management aspect shit is just incredibly dumb. Every crew-member actually gets a cut of the profits, the higher tier ones get a bigger cut, up to 20% of your earnings. Meaning you need to balance your team around that.
Every team member has set relationships, they hate some people, love some people, and like some people. You cant have anyone hating anyone else in your gang. In theory it shouldnt be possible, as you cant recruit people thats at odds with your gangters, but because the game was made by autists relationships get developed at random. In my playthrough i had this 70 year old granny in my team, she was one of the doctors i kept around. She and some 30 something blond girl were in love, but then this 40 something dude falls in love with the 70 something granny and murders the blonde girl without giving me time to do anything. That aside the "black book" showing you the people you can hire is incredibly diverse, niggers, chinks, wombyn, nigger wombyn, and im pretty sure a couple of them are troons, but never bothered to read the bios, it didnt matter.

The police, i remember it being a thing back at release, but the patch has neutered them completely, they dont do anything and may as well not be in the game.

Goal of the game is to murder every other faction leader and take their things. I beat it in the highest difficulty and it was manageable at first, but once you got your crew going strong you basically trampled over everything. The AI is retarded, they will do shit entirely at random, feels like if you were dealing with wombyn on their period 24/7. Nothing they ever do makes any sense.

Quests sometimes offer two or three paths, but are otherwise pretty dumb, and offer no real reward. Random events are too sparse, feels like after 10 hours playing it i say 5? Im not sure how many more there are, but it doesnt feel like there are that many more.

In summary, its a complete and utter mess. It works well enough, seems to have been patched and now your save files wont get corrupted, the performance isnt horrible. Its just a huge waste of time.

Lhynn

Arcane
Did they fix base game?
A lot of the problems with the game simply cant be resolved. Beyond the trannies, lesbians, gays and women gangsters i mean.

The game is played by systemically attacking everything in your way without expending resources to do it, other than time. Your manpower for the most part always stays with you, this leads to a mostly uneventful game that is very similar from start to finish.

The biggest issue isnt a lack of systems (It does an adequate job there, and the expansion seems to make it better), but gameplay becoming a repetitive slog pretty early in the game. The main missions for every boss may as well be side missions in an mmo, and everything else is pretty much random, so there arent any good, handcrafted moments trough it all.

As such the game never really captures the "gangster" experience.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Play the free demo of the ORK RPG framework for Unity and then play EMPIRE of SIN. I guarantee you the combat in the first instance is way better and more balanced in the second and the free demo was just thrown together with whatever random rules seemed appropriate ... which is apparently ten times more forethought than was put into this crap EOS. I couldn't bear EOS when people just did random things in the combat that made no logical sense until you killed them all. Rinse and repeat and that's the whole game. The Eggmen of ORK are far more compelling characters and have better dialogues, as well. The ORK demo looks like it was thrown together in a few hours which is many minutes more than were spent on EOS.

Brenda finally got her Wymyns moment and she did a half gainer off the Olympics high dive board into an empty pool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom