Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Hellion

Arcane
Here's the official "One Year Anniversary Recap".

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/446

Initially, we had estimated that the early access period would last for about a year. And while we are happy with the progress that has been made so far, we feel that the game isn’t quite ready for its full release just yet. As such, our tentative estimate for the release is Q4 2021, however, development will continue for as long as necessary as we take the time to ensure that the game is fun and enjoyable.

"Q4 2021 release" is the most fabulous of fabulously optimistic projections.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Yes I'm aware you can assign those roles, but the last time I played (which was admittedly a while ago) the bonuses were so small they didn't make any meaningful difference. Maybe that's been fixed.
The bonuses are exactly the same as you'd get if the player's skill was used. It's been that way since the EA release, but some of the numbers may have been tweaked. But skills like Stewardship and Medicine have been powerful all the time.

waken

Educated
Yes I'm aware you can assign those roles, but the last time I played (which was admittedly a while ago) the bonuses were so small they didn't make any meaningful difference. Maybe that's been fixed.
Q1PLKFX.jpg

This is with a follower with 73 in Medicine. Resting in settlements (or cities) can increase it further.

deuxhero

Arcane
Here's the official "One Year Anniversary Recap".

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/446

Initially, we had estimated that the early access period would last for about a year. And while we are happy with the progress that has been made so far, we feel that the game isn’t quite ready for its full release just yet. As such, our tentative estimate for the release is Q4 2021, however, development will continue for as long as necessary as we take the time to ensure that the game is fun and enjoyable.

"Q4 2021 release" is the most fabulous of fabulously optimistic projections.

Their previous plan had them finish EA by now.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Just a reminder that if they were actually communicating with us in an effective way, they would have :

(a) a reasonable explanation for why their initial estimate of one year in Early Access was insufficient, and
(b) a concrete roadmap of development milestones that are planned between now and the Q4 final release, as well as rough estimates for when those patches will drop

It's way late in the game for their classic noncommittal "we're working very hard to bring you the best game possible, we promise!" bullshit. Once you start accepting people's money, you have obligation to deliver the final product within the promised time frame.

Not sure why so many people are always willing to give Taleworlds a pass when for years they've been abusing our goodwill.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't see the need for such hostility. They're really bad at estimating the complexity of their game and the time required to work on it. I don't think there's anything more to it than that. They're still working on it. They haven't abandoned the game. They want to finish it even more than you want it finished.

A really cynical person might assume that Taleworlds knowingly announced an unrealistically optimistic development plan when M&B II entered early access, deceiving players into buying a game that was in rougher shape than they were led to believe. But in this case, I can avoid attributing to malice that which is sufficiently explained by incompetence.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This EA effectively killed the community. Few modders or even players care about the game more than "it's fun to play once in a while".

Even online is not more active than half-dead Warband's lol.

Thal

Prophet
Taleworlds is clearly grossly mismanaged. The term is overused in many cases, but I think it fits like a glove here. A massive increase of personnel, and a product that was delayed several times and was still released as unfinished.

But the biggest telltale sign is that they couldn't even manage simple fixes like the implementation of perks. For example, you had a perk that was supposed to increase whatever by 2%. Instead, when they implemented it, the increase was 0,2%. They couldn't get even that one right. Clearly, this was the work of one programmer, whose work was probably not reviewed by anyone. Moreover, at no point during the past year, no one bothered to place a simple placeholder text on the character screen that would have indicated what even works. Players had to learn it by going to an external site that looked at the code to see what was implemented and what wasn't.

The company was, what, 200-300 people at its peak? Probably 10% of that is doing the heavy lifting, which incidentally is the size of Piranha Bytes, who have released several competent open world games over the years. What we probably have here, on the other hand, is poor organization, undefined roles, miscommunication or no communication between different teams, doing things in the wrong order creating bottlenecks, etc.

The thing that makes it possible though is that Bannerlord's only competition is Warband. They can do fuck all and people still have to throw money at them if they want to play anything like it. Moreover, as it is now, the game is pretty enjoyable actually. The meat of the game, the combat system, works great and is superior to Warband. Sieges fun and issuing commands is much better than in Warband. But still, what a missed opportunity Bannerlord is. I think that's what irks most players, they see the outline of a brilliant game, and massive failure to deliver it.

thesecret1

Arcane
I'm not as concerned about stupid bugs (because hey, they happen to the best of us) as about Taleworld's QA department. Like, do they even have one? Shitload of the stuff you find everyone bitching about would have to have been noticed by QA if QA is doing its job. They even mention that they were surprised to learn that low tier units have a very hard time tiering up because better units steal all the XP – you really shouldn't be surprised by such a thing, your QA should be telling you about it since before the EA even started.

What I am worried are cut features. Why would you cut castle building if not because you are afraid that it would be too demanding of casuals? Mismanaging can be fixed but a shift in the design philosophy is a death sentence for a company.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I am worried are cut features. Why would you cut castle building if not because you are afraid that it would be too demanding of casuals? Mismanaging can be fixed but a shift in the design philosophy is a death sentence for a company.
I suppose the issue can be much more technical for castle building: it may be harder to handle for AI, and fully destructible terrain is harder to do than having preset "destructible portions"

Lokiamis

Learned
Over a year since launch and AI still can't climb ladders, but they expect to leave EA in a couple months.
As expected, they used Early Access to cash in on the hype surrounding the game while using it as an excuse to ship a broken, buggy, unfinished piece of shit, and now they're done with it.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Over a year since launch and AI still can't climb ladders, but they expect to leave EA in a couple months.
As expected, they used Early Access to cash in on the hype surrounding the game while using it as an excuse to ship a broken, buggy, unfinished piece of shit, and now they're done with it.
Buy more early acces trash bois.

:dance::dance:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I don't know what you people are talking about. This game is lots of fun even in its current unfinished state.

You can only replay the early game so much, because by the mid-game when sieges and large scale warfare become relevant it breaks apart.

ArchAngel

Arcane
At least they fixed game freezing during sieges :)

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish there was a general roadmap for this game, I don't even want something with dates that will get delayed anyways just a general plan of what's going to be updated until 1.0 release. It would help immensely in figuring out how far along they are....

my armenian boss at my college job told me "never trust a turk"

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I don't know what you people are talking about. This game is lots of fun even in its current unfinished state.

You can only replay the early game so much, because by the mid-game when sieges and large scale warfare become relevant it breaks apart.
I am playing this late game and it is fun and I got no clue what you are talking about.

I haven't played into the late game with the most recent beta but as far as I recall it basically devolved into a shitfest of one faction snowballing and the AI being generally too retarded to prioritize where to siege. Also non-existent diplomacy.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I am playing this late game and it is fun and I got no clue what you are talking about.

I haven't played into the late game with the most recent beta but as far as I recall it basically devolved into a shitfest of one faction snowballing and the AI being generally too retarded to prioritize where to siege. Also non-existent diplomacy.
Well so far it is not a snowball, Sturgia which I am part of and Khuzaits hold most of the map with Aserai still being dangerous. Sturgia would be able to go directly vs Khuzaits if all the little factions were not pain in the ass all the time while most armies are on other side of the map. We took out Vladians 5 times already and then we go to fight Khuzaits again and Vladians take over 3 cities in their region in that time.. If only my factions would stop offering peace treaty so fast just when we can finish off factions.

ArchAngel

Arcane

This is the kind of stuff everyone is waiting for

All I see is changes in graphics and new names for factions (by using real world factions). No new mechanics or changes to gameplay. This is mod for people with beast computers, I will not be able to run this well on my PC.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

This has always been Taleworlds' way, so it doesn't surprise me in the least. Remember when they shipped out the exact same game from M&B that was Warband, slapped on multiplayer and a couple of new factions, not even giving Warrider/M&B beta supporters a discount, and called it a day? Not to mention all the reskins released over the years with more or less the same gameplay loop, whereas mods like The Last Days had actually done better and were free.

But with that said, I don't think Taleworlds is malicious or money hungry like the AAA companies. I think Armagan just wants to make the type of games that he thinks he'd like to play, then tacking on features as he goes along. Back in the Warrider to the M&B 0.751b days on the Taleworlds forum, I could count with one hand the number of times Armagan interacted with the community. As such, the community was always a cesspool.

A horse of course

I've nothing against a Warcraft mod (tho don't expect it to get hosted anywhere outside sketchy Russian sites thanks to Actiblizz lawyers) but the proportions look absurd on these footmen. Neither realistic nor stylized enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom