Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Gerrard

Arcane
In this one respect, I think CDPR might've been too thorough for their own good. From what I recall, the studio actually consulted some urban planners when they were doing the layout for the city. Now, when you're a professional, you instinctively gravitate towards applying your skills correctly, and - this is pure speculation on my part - this might be exactly why Night City doesn't look as intimidating as you might've hoped. For instance, an important aspect of urban planning is controlling for street width when setting out height guidelines for buildings to ensure adequate levels of sunlight throughout the day. And when you look at Night City, bingo, you see a lot of wide boulevards and ample breathing room.

What you don't see is the city looming over you. Ever. Sure, you've got your megabuildings, but you're never boxed in between them, you never feel like they're "pressing down on you", you're never really forced to take in their scope. Night City is, with some indulgence, well designed, but that actively works against it and this is why I said that NC reminds me more of Fukuoka in Ghost in the Shell, which was decidedly on the less miserable side of cyberpunk fiction.

Now take a look at these photos of the former Walled City of Kowloon for what no urban planning looks like:
Thing is you have places like this in the game whole city doesen't look like that to bring some visual diversity. I mean you have whole shanty town districts right next to clean and sterile towering skyscrappers in the corpo zone it makes a very good contrast. You cant expect corpo middle class and the rich to live in something like Walled city of kowloon it wouldn't make sense since almost everybody who lived there was either poor or a criminal. Here look at some of my screenshots of city areas that are not so well off.

photomode_14022021_00gfktg.png

photomode_14022021_000mkyy.png

photomode_08032021_00ldkp2.png

photomode_09032021_238dk3g.png

photomode_15012021_08dvkyo.png

photomode_23022021_093vjnk.png

photomode_19012021_13e7kgu.png

photomode_23022021_16o3kbn.png

photomode_25022021_07hjkqp.png

photomode_19032021_051ijv3.png

photomode_18022021_07f0jqu.png

photomode_07032021_01gdjra.png

photomode_18022021_07v3ks7.png

photomode_18022021_017ekfu.png

photomode_11032021_02rxjvb.png

photomode_08032021_00n0jel.png

photomode_01032021_15rsjlb.png

photomode_02032021_15g8ka0.png
I've seen screenshots from Stalker that look more realistic than this oversaturated, overcontrasted plastic shit. It just screams "This is a 3D render".

agris

Arcane
Patron
Nah it doesn’t look like how you characterize it all. Maybe in these small thumbnails, but not live in the game.

take your garbage take and set yourself by the road for collection

Gargaune

Magister
Ok, performance report time. Updated to 1.2, I'm not really seeing much difference in frame count, I tested with two saves outside V's megabuilding and in Lizzie's bar, seemed to have gained a frame here, lost a frame there, but rather within the margin of error. CPU temperatures, on the other hand, seem to have gone up a couple of degrees. Sadly, I didn't think to take screenshots to compare the builds, but nothing jumped at me as being significantly different with the image quality.

So first impressions: disappointing patch, made things slightly worse in the CPU load department. I hear that 1.2 did make things better on consoles, though I'm surprised that absolutely none of that optimisation would be reflected on PC in any capacity.

:2/5:

Zer0wing

Cipher
So first impressions: disappointing patch, made things slightly worse in the CPU load department. I hear that 1.2 did make things better on consoles, though I'm surprised that absolutely none of that optimisation would be reflected on PC in any capacity.
Of course not, this patch just cuts in half crowd density and car traffic on consoles, they're still not ready to sacrifice polygon count.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Gerrard is a retard, a very old retard. I played the game for 11 hours Officer Fuckmeat, pretty sure any opinions I have are my own.

In general, a lot of faggots defending a shit game here, which is strange to me. Go on, enjoy your game.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not really seeing much difference in frame count, I tested with two saves outside V's megabuilding and in Lizzie's bar, seemed to have gained a frame here, lost a frame there, but rather within the margin of error. CPU temperatures, on the other hand, seem to have gone up a couple of degrees

How many cores? I get 100% usage with 4 cores. Streaming in data lowers the framerate considerably.

Gargaune

Magister
How many cores? I get 100% usage with 4 cores. Streaming in data lowers the framerate considerably.
i7 9700K, 8 single-threaded cores. I'm not monitoring the CPU load itself, just the temps since that's what interests me.

And I may have been lowballing the impact of patch 1.2 earlier, just now I saw temperatures sit entirely in the 80°C range, even momentarily clipping 90°C in the market area around Misty's shop. Granted, I have a subpar airflow setup and heat buildup will factor in, but my point is this is the worst I've seen Cyberpunk do to date. For reference, the best build for me was 1.04, when I was running mid 70s to low 80s, rarely spiking up to some 85°C. And what for? I can't see any obvious improvements in picture quality of game behaviour.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Undervolt the CPU. My old 2600K had dust under the radiator and still lost over 15 deg. from a stable undervolt under max load.

Gargaune

Magister
Undervolt the CPU. My old 2600K had dust under the radiator and still lost over 15 deg. from a stable undervolt under max load.
God damnit! I just checked Intel XTU, and the Core Voltage Offset had been reset, some system crash in the past year must've triggered the safety wipe without notifying. It's back now to the -70mV I'd originally settled on, thanks for the reminder! It should only account for about 3-4°C at full tilt, but I'll take all I can get at this point.

I've also set a framerate cap of 50 now, idea being that I'm comfortable there and it should help reduce heat buildup in less intensive scenes. Maybe I should also tweak the fan curve, I've gone with a quiet profile for regular operation but it may do to set a more aggressive progression past 65°C on the CPU. Honestly, though, I'm getting a little tired of babysitting this one fucking game.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
I've also set a framerate cap of 50 now, idea being that I'm comfortable there and it should help reduce heat buildup in less intensive scenes. Maybe I should also tweak the fan curve, I've gone with a quiet profile for regular operation but it may do to set a more aggressive progression past 65°C on the CPU.

Go zero RPM below 55 deg, 20% at 65, and only go above 2k RPM once it's really necessary. That is, above 87-ish degrees. 100% at 92. Everything below 2k RPM is bearable. Set fan to spool down slow but spool up fast as fake hysteresis. Running under 85 deg. shouldn't be a priority. In worst case, drop the multiplier by one or two steps.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Go zero RPM below 55 deg, 20% at 65, and only go above 2k RPM once it's really necessary. That is, above 87-ish degrees. 100% at 92. Everything below 2k RPM is bearable. Set fan to spool down slow but spool up fast as fake hysteresis. Running under 85 deg. shouldn't be a priority. In worst case, drop the multiplier by one or two steps.
I'll think about it. I don't really need to adjust the low end, the PC's dead silent at idle so I can literally only hear the mechanical drive spinning, and then the fans barely whisper in the 50-60°C range with games like PFKM or Fo4. After that the noise gradually picks up over 60°C, but I was thinking I might push the RPMs more aggressively from 65-70°C to reduce the opportunity for heat to build up in the case. Might be overly fussy, but I'm just not too giddy about running prolonged periods over 80°C.

Semiurge

Cipher
I've also set a framerate cap of 50 now, idea being that I'm comfortable there and it should help reduce heat buildup in less intensive scenes. Maybe I should also tweak the fan curve, I've gone with a quiet profile for regular operation but it may do to set a more aggressive progression past 65°C on the CPU.

Hybrid-passive cooling is a scam. It's purpose: to reduce component life-spans. Never go zero rpm unless you want to slowly cook those cheap caps on GPUs. Power supplies have models with bad and good caps, but Nvidia and AMD only offer you cheap Chinese shit that isn't rated to endure high temperatures.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I dont get why ppl still cling on to this pile of shit and can't move on.

i can only speak for myself but if you're a cyberpunk autist like me who has been dreaming for an AAA open world cyberpunk game that's true to the genre for all his life this game is all we have
Shadowrun :negative:

A way to save or possible ultra kill this game is to make all of Mike Pondsmith's radio broadcast true. Bring in vampires, werewolves, more explicit demons, etc

Danikas

Arcane
^^^^

Who cares about shit boxes? The bad thing is they have been nerfing lods on pc too so if modders cant make lod improvements I will be very sad camper. Never understood why they nerf lods did the same thing to Witcher 3 on pc. Why cant they put ultra high setting in the lod options and nerf the rest? Probably the same reason why they cant put a walk button on pc 4 months after release.

On the bright side modders are doing some good stuff already for example: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/2154?tab=posts&BH=1

Apartment customization

2154-1617398839-1087623410.jpeg

2154-1617399101-1171465120.jpeg

2154-1617398384-1407431728.jpeg

2154-1617398868-221336866.jpeg

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
^^^^

Who cares about shit boxes? The bad thing is they have been nerfing lods on pc too so if modders cant make lod improvements I will be very sad camper. Never understood why they nerf lods did the same thing to Witcher 3 on pc. Why cant they put ultra high setting in the lod options and nerf the rest? Probably the same reason why they cant put a walk button on pc 4 months after release.

On the bright side modders are doing some good stuff already for example: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/2154?tab=posts&BH=1

Apartment customization

2154-1617398839-1087623410.jpeg

2154-1617399101-1171465120.jpeg

2154-1617398384-1407431728.jpeg

2154-1617398868-221336866.jpeg

I didn't know there was a new Sims™.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Effort well spent. I visited that apartment like 4 times in the entire play-through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom