Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War Thunder : WoP - simmers wet dream

Insert Title Here
Usually take my time advancing up the tech trees, but last month I had to put up a German 5.7 tank lineup thanks to the Maus, Panther II, Tiger II 10.5cm and Flakpanzer 341 being removed unless you already have research put into them.

From that lineup, the Panther A is probably the most fun I've had in tank RB so far. Sure the reverse speed and side armor sucks, but the combination of good mobility (except backwards), high velocity cannon and strong-ish frontal armor makes it a fantastic sniper. Having the ability to punch through Jumbo mantlets at close and medium ranges is pretty damn nice too. Hellcats are a bitch to deal with in large open maps though.

The Tiger E is pretty OK too, not sure why so many people keep bitching that it's useless.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
The Tiger E is pretty OK too, not sure why so many people keep bitching that it's useless.
Tigers in general are good if you remember to angle the hull at all times and stay on the move, because the moment you stop for too long some schmuck with the worst pen on the map will be able to shot frontally through your turret's cheeks.

Fellow German Superior Engineering speaking from experience here.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I re-installed this after a few years and dang, there's a lot of new stuff.

- The Nation roster is bigger, with it now consisting of USA, Germany, UK, Russia, Japan, Italy, China, France and Sweden.
- Ground Vehicles now include AFVs of pretty much all kinds from the late interwar period to present day.
- Aviation now includes jets up to the Viernam War and early missile warfare.
- Helicopters are in, though they require unlocking at least one of that nation's Korean War era AFVs and planes. Has models from the 1950s to present day.
- There are naval forces for many natiors (except China, France and Sweden) divided between Blue Water and Coastal, though both can participate in the same battle.
- Coastal ships cover Torpedo Boats, Sub-Chasers, Corvettes, Frigates, Gunboats and Barges from the interwar period to about post-Korean War.
- Blue Fleet covers your usual Destroyers, Light Cruisers, Heavy Cruisers, Battlecruisers and Battleships. Battleships are the latest addition and they are starting with WWI designs.
- Many new maps including many themes for modern conflicts.
- Technology appropriate for post-WWII content like night/thermal vision, radar, stabilizers etc.

I haven´t played nearly enough to judge the quality of the content, but there sure seems to be a lot of new toys to play with.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Yep. All hidden behind the wall of grind. Or behind buying premium vehicles and premium time to ease up that grind. This game sometimes feels like 2nd job if you want to unlock something cool from higher tiers.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Yep. All hidden behind the wall of grind. Or behind buying premium vehicles and premium time to ease up that grind. This game sometimes feels like 2nd job if you want to unlock something cool from higher tiers.
Yes and yes.

razvedchiki

Erudite
You have to cough up some rubles from time to time, its ok.
the biggest let down was that after all the grind getting to higher tiers doesnt actually change much gameplay wise.
You still fight on the same cramped maps but now you have a stabilizer and run around with 60kms oneshoting anyone from
across the map.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I find WT to be a pretty great home office game, ideal for the intervals between you send an email and get a response etc. As for the grind, the in-game currency isnt much of a problem - ideal way to get loads of it is to have a nation or two dedicated to playing at low tiers (for example I keep my UK vehicles at rank I with Daimler car and French at rank II with 105 mm Sherman as the main vehicle). Because the repair costs are very low for low tier vehicles, but rewards for performance remain the same (ie stuff like Heavy Metal Hero gets you 5 000 SLs regardless of the battle rating of the game) you can easily make large profits that way and finance your "main" nation with high level stuff (I am currently at 8.3 with my USSR, with T-55, BMP-2 and IT-1 as my main line-up, never spent any real cash on the game). I find the research to be much more grindy, but you can still get various boosters for free...

If you only focus on playing high-level games, you can easily find yourself out of money though. Games at battle rating 7.7-8.3 are already very different from the early WWII stuff, since ATGMs and helis are all over the place and lethality of weapons is much higher even at great distance. Repair costs are also rather high, so a streak of bad games can easily set you back by 80 000 SLs or so.

I re-installed this after a few years and dang, there's a lot of new stuff.

- The Nation roster is bigger, with it now consisting of USA, Germany, UK, Russia, Japan, Italy, China, France and Sweden.
- Ground Vehicles now include AFVs of pretty much all kinds from the late interwar period to present day.
- Aviation now includes jets up to the Viernam War and early missile warfare.
- Helicopters are in, though they require unlocking at least one of that nation's Korean War era AFVs and planes. Has models from the 1950s to present day.
- There are naval forces for many natiors (except China, France and Sweden) divided between Blue Water and Coastal, though both can participate in the same battle.
- Coastal ships cover Torpedo Boats, Sub-Chasers, Corvettes, Frigates, Gunboats and Barges from the interwar period to about post-Korean War.
- Blue Fleet covers your usual Destroyers, Light Cruisers, Heavy Cruisers, Battlecruisers and Battleships. Battleships are the latest addition and they are starting with WWI designs.
- Many new maps including many themes for modern conflicts.
- Technology appropriate for post-WWII content like night/thermal vision, radar, stabilizers etc.

I haven´t played nearly enough to judge the quality of the content, but there sure seems to be a lot of new toys to play with.
all stuff the game didn't need.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The gamepass shit sure is putting the soul-killing grind to the next level. They didn't even have the common decency to put a break between the seasons, so 75 days of grind followed by 75 more days of grind...

WT was fun before all the event shit came. I try to reprogram my brain so I don't care about them, but no success so far (Missions require rank III, so no derping around with low tier vehicles, etc.).

I was merrily balancing people with Boommbär so much that I got Maus unlocked. But all of my gazillion Panther variants and Leopards have their modules to research and I am really not interested in that.

So basically a fun game with decent premium lineup. Absolutely worthless if you have to spade your high tier vehicles.

as an entirely different game? perhaps, maybe, probably not because of too much grind and hellish superiority of russian vehicles over anything else.
as an expansion to war thunder? holy fucking fuck of fuck NO. the game was supposed to stop at ww2 level tech.

luckily it's an april fools'.

GreyViper

Prophet
I blame my friend for getting me play this and stick around, I mean after I grinded out my Object 279 (what can I say I wanted to play Red Aler Esque tank against others) just had to keep going and see what else there is.
Managed to grind most countries except Swedes to tier 4-5, haven't touched planes much, recently started playing ships due battle pass achievements and dailies.
Oh boy what a ride it has been, the game is Almost Phun. From my experience, light vehicles with scouting seem the most fun, heavy tanks are a mixed bag. Also, uptier is game on its own since thermals rule unless you're doing Arcade.
The current event is PITA and im not sure how you can grind the minotaur tank parts in 12 days as a normal working person. Oddly enough didn't have much issue with grinding out Merkava 3D, but on the current one, I think I will go with the boat.

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
Pitty they nerfed T25 and removed that stabilizer. Also, a lot of bugs as is normal with each new update.

there's just too much grind and too much lack of balance, with russian vehicles impervious to literally thousands of rounds while the others are made of wet paper. it's a severely p2w game, but if you're satisfied with low to mid results, it can be enjoyable too. just don't expect to feel good at it unless you're willing to spend a lot of money.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dunno man, this Russian-bias thingy is IMO blown out of proportion - my T72B blows up on the first hit like 9 times out of 10, usually after getting the first hit on a Leo 2 or Abrams which doesnt do jack. But otherwise I agree with what you said. The grind is huge and high-tier games can lose you huge amounts of in-game currency, especially if you get an unlucky streak. I recommend keeping at least one national tree as a secondary option at low tier (I personally use the French with battle rating 2.3 - the 105 mm Sherman can be a decent money maker) to recover what you lose and invest with your primary tree.

That said, I got to the top of Russian tree without spending any money on the game, it took me 1019,6 hours over several years though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom