Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

Hobo Elf

Arcane
20+ Rathalos runs = no ruby, 1 Zinogre run = plates and a jasper.

When will Capcom stop using desire sensors?

Dyskolos

Cipher
18 abominable snowman captures (plus in-hunt drops) to get some fucking goss harag bile. and that was with breaking the head.

Inspectah

Savant
Game is very fun, but also very fast. I kinda miss the weight moves used to have, now everything just feels too Quick and light. It goes with the ninja theme, but I Just dont dig It too much.
They did kill my boy tho. HH may have been buffed up the ass, but the old note stacking is all but gone. With the New "retro" system buffs only require one buttom, it's pathetic. Now the thing feels more like a blunt dagger than a badass hunting horn

Hobo Elf

Arcane
"Finished" Rise, as in it ends in a cliffhanger, so now I'm just waiting for the next update while crafting some sets and playing around with different weapons. Game is very good, the gameplay itself is the best it has been so far, which is why I don't mind just hacking at enemies despite the hunts not going toward my Hunter Rank.

Just pet Poogie!
No Poogie in Rise, but we do get a pettable owl.

Sentinel

Arcane
The gameplay is the most homogeneized shit it's been. Every weapon gets a guard point and counter. Even hammer has a fucking guard point.

The balance is all over the place. Lance saw only nerfs and got a ruined moveset despite not even being a good weapon to begin with. The HH rework killed the weapon and turned it into another "fill a meter for awesome" kind of weapon. LBG and LS are horribly broken weapons.

Funnily enough, the 2 weapons Ichinose reworked personally - HBG and HH - are worse than they were before.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Weapon balance has never really been a thing in the series anyway - some weapons take a couple quests to figure out the basics while other ones have multiple weird gimmicks or require a lot of situational monster knowledge to even get anywhere. I understand you on how some stuff feels like it got no attention (the bow might as well be an afterthought too, it seems) and on how the HH is braindead (I’m enjoying dicking around with it but I’m not seeing much depth to it). Sucks if those were your mains but there are always other weapons to master, or just stick to them since it’s not like the game is PvP or anything.

The game does feel a bit light on content, though, especially coming from MHGU. 30-odd monsters and a couple alternate moves for each weapon seems to leave a ton of room for expansion.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The game does feel a bit light on content, though, especially coming from MHGU. 30-odd monsters and a couple alternate moves for each weapon seems to leave a ton of room for expansion.
Yeah, I don't think it's ever gonna hit MHGU levels of content. That game was just crazy, but it was also done in the old engine that they had been using for years, and Rise is on the RE engine, so that's gonna cause some downsizing on content. They didn't even add Lagiacrus to World or Rise because they couldn't get it working, although they've apparently gotten it now so maybe, hopefully, one day we'll see Lagi again. And bring back Gigginox ffs.

mogwaimon

Magister
it's definitely lighter on content than it seemed at the beginning...

credits rolled at the end of 4 star village and i'm hearing that there's no quests past 6 star in the village. I'm already at HR3 as well and I'm playing the game fairly casually, having maybe 30-35 hours in it I think? unless high rank adds a ton of extra quests this is probably the shortest MH game I've ever played, even shorter than World was at launch so I'm a bit disappointed

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funny to bring up the balance subject in MH, when MHGU blow it out the window with brave/bushido style,etc.

Sentinel

Arcane
MHGU's valor style was OP for every weapon pretty much (some exceptions). Not comparable to some weapons being vastly inferior to homogeneized alternatives. Rise has the worst balance in the entire series. They legitimately didn't even try. You can tell how much the devs care for each weapon by the skill arts they got. The ones they don't give a fuck about just had some arts from GU ported over and the base moveset nerfed to "compensate", even though the arts are nerfed from GU to boot.

Inspectah

Savant
Ye, I'm with the guys that don't really Care about the balance. Don't really Care that LS does everything better than all the others. My favorite weapon for the longest time was adept gunlance so you know...

The game is great, Just wish some things like the weightless feeling and HH were different.

Sentinel

Arcane
Your favorite weapon for the longest time was a weapon that existed in 1 game 3 years ago? What's "longest time" in your mind?

No one is even talking about balance per se, more homogenization of weapons. The games didn't use to be balanced, but that was part of the design and what made weapons distinct. Now the weapons are not only not balanced (in fact the worst balance in the series history) but they all step on each others niches, every weapon can do everything, they're a cosmetic choice.

Inspectah

Savant
More like 6 years, but the point still stands that I rather play that weapon than the super buffed up version in Rise.
You do have a point about homogenizing tho, specialy when everyone and their mother end up having point guards and such. Makes lances and such feel less special

Hobo Elf

Arcane
More like 6 years, but the point still stands that I rather play that weapon than the super buffed up version in Rise.
You do have a point about homogenizing tho, specialy when everyone and their mother end up having point guards and such. Makes lances and such feel less special
Lance is fundamentally flawed anyway since guarding with a shield isn't all that effective in MH, especially in G-Rank. Lance has always been at its peak when evade lancing has been an option, such as in MH4U with its hilariously strong Evade +3. If evade lancing isn't an option then you have counter lancing which is less effective, but still OK, until you try to play it online, which is where the entire thing falls apart. In the older games it felt like less of an issue since other weapons had their own limitations as well, but with each release every other weapon seems to get more mobility and attack options, while the Lance has yet to make any significant leaps in its play style. At this point I'd say that Lance needs to be reworked from the ground up.

As a side note I've been replaying DMC5 recently and one thing that stuck with me is how neat it might be if they tried to reimagine Lancing as Royalguarding.

Sentinel

Arcane
Lance is fundamentally flawed anyway since guarding with a shield isn't all that effective in MH, especially in G-Rank. Lance has always been at its peak when evade lancing has been an option, such as in MH4U with its hilariously strong Evade +3. If evade lancing isn't an option then you have counter lancing which is less effective, but still OK, until you try to play it online, which is where the entire thing falls apart. In the older games it felt like less of an issue since other weapons had their own limitations as well, but with each release every other weapon seems to get more mobility and attack options, while the Lance has yet to make any significant leaps in its play style. At this point I'd say that Lance needs to be reworked from the ground up.

As a side note I've been replaying DMC5 recently and one thing that stuck with me is how neat it might be if they tried to reimagine Lancing as Royalguarding.
evade lancing was only better than guard lancing (defensively) because Guard lancing requires more skill commitment than evade, and evade window gave you ridiculous iframes. It was an issue of skill design (which only got worse in rise with the expansion of guard up to be a 3 level skill), not the weapon itself . Counter lancing had better DPS if you could use the charged counters.

The lance itself doesn't need any redesign, all the moves added to it in World were excellent. What needs a redesign are the skills. Get rid of Guard Up and incorporate it into power guard to begin with. No other weapon even uses Guard Up, it's just a skill to hinder Lance.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I just noticed they removed smoke bombs. What the fuck.

Anyone ever used them ? Everytime i tried to use one it never did anything in basically every mh game i played.
They hid you from monsters you weren't engaged with (useful for arena quests) and in World they served as ghillie mantle and allowed you to sharpen or do other stuff while the smoke effect was happening.

Perkel

Arcane
"finished it"

hostly speaking it is one of worst MH games i have played and i played pretty much every one of them including 2G on PS2 in japanese.

I love the stuff around gameplay like village with great ost rivaling poke village and other stuff but i can't fanthom why they would choose to focus on so many trash monsters. Literally all trash monsters from MH tri are there aside from Great Jaggi because that was probably too much for them and they have exact same movestes which means comapred to their MHW trash counterparts they are boooring to fight and they are not treat to anything. Moreover for "difficult monsters" they used some legit "just why?" monsters like Tobi Kadachi which was step above pukei pukei in MHW and here it is basically just bigger a bit faster version of same thing without even all moves as in this game monsters usually don't have environment interaction at all.

Speaking of environment... By far the worst part of game. If you remove dog from your party it feels like ass to move around in it, not because locales are big but because they are boring with nothing in them. There is almost no verticality, there are no fun details to look usually they are just flat spaces with huge ass mountains between them because they had to do something with climbing mechanic.

Moreover monsters aboslutely do not have any idea what to do with environments. MHW ones at least could jump up on ledges or throw fireball at you and all flying ones could still target you, if you didn't get down and monster couldn't get up they would just move to different locale. Here if you get up nothing happens. You can free to take you bowgun and just gun them down, sharpen yoru weapons and so on, recover you wirebugs etc..

Oh and you would think that after MHW old trash monsters will get some upgrades no ? Nope. In same game you have something like Pukei Pukei which has nice moveset and Logombi which has exact same moveset from 14 ears ago in mh tri. They just upgraded a bit their models. That is all they did. None of them got MHW treatment like Narca did and all old monsters.

Speaking of wirebugs. It is better mechanic than grapling hook and i love that they went back to MH4U type of mounting resistance and you couldn't just ride something or clutch claw from get go you have to put some work into it and then use it, though there is problem with other monsters hitting each other and instantly getting wyvern ride on both. On other hand wirebugs are way to op. They are basically out of the jail card and you can get out of anything with them and run around monster as much as you want. Potions now also recover instantly half of hp in bottle which is huge change since regeneration was reasaon for NO FLEX animation, here you just pop up and you get half instantly.

Rampage is by far the worst siege mechanic they devised. IT is basically more annoying tower defense. Everyone hates those sieges in mh and somehow devs always manage to up each other and create something even worse.

Oh btw game is apparently not finished. Game literally ends with clifhanger and the two main bad monsters are meh as hell.

2 big plusses though. All weapons are finally unique. New Insect monster is actually great as well as titular one rest are meh and Gross Bear is basically Azuros with better moveset and it is supposed to be one of hardest monsters in game lol.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, given It's a fact, you reinforced more my reasons to await until G rank or fully updated to get the game.

game monsters usually don't have environment interaction at all.
In older MH, you can get tigrex's jaw stuck against certain walls. Rahtalos can get his talons stuck in walls and cobwebs if you manage to lure his annoying aerial poison claw. Royal ludroth sometimes leaves the area and goes find some waterfall to load his sponge mane.
In World you can get monsters such as Rathalos get dragged by and toppled by the torrential waters of a waterfall.
Environmental interactions became a MH trademark mechanic in later games. It's odd to read in Rise is actually less prominent.
they are boring with nothing in them. There is almost no verticality, there are no fun details to look usually they are just flat spaces with huge ass mountains between them because they had to do something with climbing mechanic.
What about the pyramid in the swamp map?. Regardless. if that's the case there's actually not much higher grounds or plateau. design wise the map sounds pretty uninspired.
Here if you get up nothing happens. You can free to take you bowgun and just gun them down, sharpen yoru weapons and so on, recover you wirebugs etc..
Back to former MH games. I recall monsters such as Tigrex or Deviljho climbing the tallest ledges to give chase, or Barioth that sometimes perform a slick wall bouncing as attack.
For a game that could've taken verticality to a new seamless level, this sounds really disappointing. Almost a deal breaker.

Perkel

Arcane
Yes ignore it and wait for G version. Even with G rank i doubt they will be able to fix base game.

Verticality point is mostly about monster and player not about player himself. Monsters can't really climb anthing other than few scripted places which means all of that verticality is just for player not for player and monster.

Moreover they created those maps but for some fucking reason they recreated 2 old maps with it. Tri desert, MH tri jungle It was such a weird think to see those maps recreated and with added verticality.

I have this idea in mind that Rise at start wasn't actually what it is now. Mid project probably changed from old gen MH to incorporate MHW stuff which is why probably it caused delays etc. They probably wanted just to upres monsters and other stuff without adding new MHW animations and so on. Then they figured out how to cheaply downscale MHW assets and animations and voila you have Rise.

Their original plan probably was no MHW monsters and just port all old gen mosnters with their old animations and flat gameplay. Which is why maps are flat essentially.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm the exact opposite of Perkel. Rise is growing to be my favorite MH since 3U. I'm still playing the game daily, with over 80h clocked in, maybe more. I don't even care about if the hunts don't go toward my HR, I just wanna keep fighting Goss Harag forever and learn all the weapons since everything plays so well now. The one thing that's concerning to me in Rise is that the Palamute is so useless. Capcom really needs to do something about it. The extra speed you get from riding it is basically useless since it's on average just as fast to use sub-camps and wirebugs to get to your destination. Plus if you hunt with two gathering Palicoes you'll be pulling all kinds of monster materials, in addition to the gathering Palico with their endemic life barrage skill being just way better than anything the Palamute has in its arsenal, and that's only one skill out of 5 others that they can have. The cats in general are super strong now, especially if you've found the catnip skill that's hidden behind a few menus, to give them a buff during hunts.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom