Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Update #51: Early Access on April 6

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Nice vids.

Have a question: it is better for skill increases to talk first (and fail) and then to combat? Since this way you get both speech and combat exp, right?

Not really. Many times you get the option to start combat right away with an initiative bonus (shoot first, ask questions later), and if you fail convincing them they go on the offensive, with you getting an initiative penalty. So while you can do that, there's only so far you can go "speech-wise" as well since success brings more skill XP (plus you need skill tagging to make better use of it).

It's good for having a few points for some opportunities here and there, but you won't be a master diplomat-fighter going that route.

CoronerZg

Scholar
I might be wrong, but that does not sound bad to me at all and I don't think demo downloads are a common thing anymore. I also consider myself a fan of IT studio (bought AoD and DR and I'll buy Colony Ship asap), but I never downloaded the demo and I don't plan to... personally I just never liked demos and alphas (betas).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPd838F_Lq8&feature=emb_logo

Wasn´t Vault Dweller one of those really succesfull sales guys who fucks? So how come he let´s this type of person with this type of chanel present his next big thing? "I have never heard of The Age of Decadence before!"
We hired a PR company; they don't pick and choose but give keys to anyone in their database or upon request, while we're doing a more targeted approach.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao

Wasn´t Vault Dweller one of those really succesfull sales guys who fucks? So how come he let´s this type of person with this type of chanel present his next big thing? "I have never heard of The Age of Decadence before!"
We hired a PR company; they don't pick and choose but give keys to anyone in their database or upon request, while we're doing a more targeted approach.
Notice how he dodges the first question.:P

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
How many (aprox) text in chapter 1? In words. Of you do not track such numbers?

Does this approach make any sense when you are making a game for such specific audience as us? It's not like CoD when you can buy audience through mere exposure effect.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Does this approach make any sense when you are making a game for such specific audience as us? It's not like CoD when you can buy audience through mere exposure effect.
While the audience is indeed limited, it's scattered across the internet. AoD's been selling for years, yet there are people discovering it only today via videos posted a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4xJ34dmqQ

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don’t really like the concept of ”chapter-based” early access since it kinda overfeeds the beginning to the player, but I might have to make an exception with this one.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game

Announcement
Colony Ship coming to Early Access on April 6
We've been working on Colony Ship for 5 long years, modifying the engine, building tools and systems (character, combat, stealth, dialogue, inventory, AI, pathfinding, etc), creating thousands of assets, and - finally - the first chapter of the game:

903315db6539be3747bf1b1117df4fe1bc571b94.png

Turn-based combat with action points and different attack types with different pros and cons. Gather a party of adventurers or explore the Ship alone.

8c097e2a26d5a1b924e9a831d914a83dfc946cec.png

Turn-based stealth: action points, noise and alert meters, and takedowns.

145104b0043a0a4f45c2196bba62d28dd1dcd0b2.png

Dialogues with various checks: stats, skills, reputation, items, deeds, etc.

You start the game in the Pit, a container town sitting in one of the Ship's cargo holds. From there you can travel to two nearby 'locations': the Armory and Hydroponics. These and other locations will change and evolve throughout the game.

bd95889e65d13cc80c5d1fcf7a33387753e5328e.png

The Pit. The Free City. Ever since you were a kid, this has been your home: a sprawling heap of vacant cargo containers slowly getting filled up with those who couldn't afford to stay in the Habitat or needed to get away from its bosses and factions. Out here, folks have lived free and died fast, with those who survive earning their keep by either "diving" into the wreckage of Mission Control and bringing back valuable relics of the past, or figuring out a way to make money off the fools who do the diving.

c97234cec65c5b0512ec4d642a08dc4fa457bde5.png

Your destination lies ahead – a triply reinforced door flanked by twin auto-cannons drawing on a seemingly inexhaustible power supply. No one made it past during the Mutiny, and no one's made it past since. Like the proverbial flaming sword outside of Eden, it sits as a guardian, a symbol of ancient strength, and a promise of marvels beyond.

a833c600d632d3bf8316971c4eca4e9b8179b2ee.png

The Hydroponic Division was originally conceived to adapt Terran plants to the anticipated environment of Proxima Centauri. Extensive gene-editing was employed to develop resistance to alien fungi and pests, and accelerated adaptation hacked into the plants' genetic code.

Like many other critical systems, Hydroponics was abandoned during the Mutiny. The carefully cultivated flora and fauna was left on its own in harsh environs designed to propagate rapid and brutal evolutionary cycles. When men returned to reclaim Hydroponics, they discovered an environment as wild and hostile as any Earth jungle.

Party members with personal quests, development arcs (reflected in changing portraits), agendas, and beliefs. The first chapter gives you 3 party members out of 10:

7739204b29becf499a24d6e39d1bb71669d13c68.jpg
782b330fda495221fc094fe7d249c115adb9aa11.jpg
9526a22ed3eba1c43b32f3687394c0fee47ed7c3.jpg

... and introduces a party member who might join you later:

8f144bd3d8640c053123b9af6a6f35ed57cc7d5d.jpg

Overall, the first chapter represents a design template (how things work) in every aspect, except for the main quest which will branch into different directions in chapter 2. Before we apply this design template to the new locations, we'd like to show it to our core audience and see what you think. So if you don't mind supporting games still in development, welcome aboard.

Ihavenoidea

Educated
One thing about the two fraction conflict in the Pit - it seems a little underdeveloped, as the Nerd Commando Game Studios mentioned in his yt walkthrough. Maybe underline it a bit in the intro message, insert a couple of flavour npcs (workers, beggars) who would flesh it out a bit? Or even add a line or two to the npcs we're interacting at the beginning, like lockpick guy. There is little reason to care about these two currently, compare to Killian and Gizmo for example - early conflict should be more interesting for our hero who lived there his whole life, I think.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
Nerd Commando is extrememely butthurt that someone is actually making something else than coomerbrain trash puzzlers lol...

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Nerd Commando is extrememely butthurt that someone is actually making something else than coomerbrain trash puzzlers lol...
He started a gunslinger walkthrough, so looking at Colony Ship streamers quality I'd say he's in a top 3 at least (the teacher was the only one I coudn't bear to watch I think).

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
I'd say he's in a top 3 at least
Well yeah... Non-Descript-Game-Name has no cute grills and is bland - hence zero publicity.

Ever since Underrail devs told him they wont promote his coomer shit, he's been bitter.
75T9lzS.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom