Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Binding of Isaac: Repentance - the ultimate version of Binding of Isaac

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Do I really have to say this?

#NotAnRPG

:killit:

Stop the shilling of woke mainstream games and actually report on RPGs for once. The f*ck is this place becoming?

flyingjohn

Arcane
The Steam forums are indeed overflowing with people whining that the game is too hard now. I might just hold off until things balance out a bit.

:littlemissfun:
The only thing that sucks in hard mode is the shop.
Everything else will not go back to its previous glory.
But that still doesn't mean you can't use "generic hp space item" + knife/brimstone to beat the game somewhat easily.

Red Hexapus

Learned
The Steam forums are indeed overflowing with people whining that the game is too hard now. I might just hold off until things balance out a bit.

:littlemissfun:
The only thing that sucks in hard mode is the shop.
Everything else will not go back to its previous glory.
But that still doesn't mean you can't use "generic hp space item" + knife/brimstone to beat the game somewhat easily.
The new patch has changed the shop, so they are not as pointless now. It has also reverted the tainted rocks to spawn more. Some of the nerfs were needed (like Blank Card + Jera), but for the most part I think it's ok especially that they have removed the Special system.

The only thing that really annoys me now is Curse of Darkness where you couldn't see shit especially on dark levels.

Infinitum

Scholar
Pretty sure you can patch one of the .txt files to remove the effect altogether. At least that's what I think I did years back, been ages since I had to fuck with gamma levels. Balance fine tbh; you can no longer expect to oneshot every room latgame which is a good thing, here seems to be more general stat increases instead of niche bullshit, and the new areas/bosses are more enjoyable than the afterbirth ones. Only issue is how the endgame bosses are still hp-bloated to hell despite the general damage decreases. Expect to spend a few minutes in bullet hell at the end of each run.

Also, the Mausoleum soundtrack is a banger so there's that.

Seethe

Arbiter
Pretty sure you can patch one of the .txt files to remove the effect altogether. At least that's what I think I did years back, been ages since I had to fuck with gamma levels. Balance fine tbh; you can no longer expect to oneshot every room latgame which is a good thing, here seems to be more general stat increases instead of niche bullshit, and the new areas/bosses are more enjoyable than the afterbirth ones. Only issue is how the endgame bosses are still hp-bloated to hell despite the general damage decreases. Expect to spend a few minutes in bullet hell at the end of each run.

Also, the Mausoleum soundtrack is a banger so there's that.

The DLC really does have amazing soundtrack for sure. Favorite one so far:

https://ridiculon.bandcamp.com/track/morning-star-gehenna

Last edited:

Red Hexapus

Learned
I've finally fought a new boss yesterday, it's hp bloat as you've mentioned but what I also hate about it is that it doesn't have a health bar like any other fucking boss in the game. So you keep on fighting but you don't even know how well you're doing.

On the bright side, I love the new item PsyFly, a fly that catches enemy bullets and attacks the shooter. Had it with Lilith an it was amazing defense/offense for bullet hell sections.

Infinitum

Scholar
Finished the ultra-secret ending boss. Motherfuckers put a 7-part boss at the tail end of a 40 minute run. I had Gnawed Leaf for it (not too painful either, got the sprinkler and brimstone as well), but no fucking way I'm finishing that with all characters.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I finished a few post-it notes when repentance came out but I'm really disappointed with what they did overall. Binding of Isaac was only good with how overpowered you can get if you're really knowledgeable about the game.

For example, I still do Eden streaks on Afterbirth for fun and I can kill hush ~70% of the time, even drunk. I play while listening to a podcast with the game sound on mute. Repentance took away the only good things about TBOI (a bunch of items/strategies are nerfed completely) without adding much to replace it.

Btw. Infinitron why is this on GRPG and not General Gaming? This came is not an RPG no matter what stupid spin you put on the definition.

PlayerEmers

Novice
Btw. Infinitron why is this on GRPG and not General Gaming? This came is not an RPG no matter what stupid spin you put on the definition.
Im new here and I was a bit confused at first but the RPG's subforum description says roguelikes are welcome to discsuss here:
"Your forum for all your RPG needs. From old school games to new stuff, including roguelikes, indies, KickStarters and the like."

anyway, I agree that some the nerfs from repetence are annoying and anti-fun as fuck.
but i can understand why they did it.

image.png

Im so done with this game

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Im new here and I was a bit confused at first but the RPG's subforum description says roguelikes are welcome to discsuss here:
"Your forum for all your RPG needs. From old school games to new stuff, including roguelikes, indies, KickStarters and the like."

anyway, I agree that some the nerfs from repetence are annoying and anti-fun as fuck.

image.png

Get used to it. BOI is actually surprising, because at first I realized any game with rolls/character building immediately comes up here, but BOI is jus ridiculous.

Anyways,

boi.png

As you can see, I barely touched repentance because I just hated it that much. I had 3mil% on Afterbirth. I uninstalled it and pretty much only play Afterbirth Eden streaks when I have a podcast I want to watch or something.

PlayerEmers

Novice

image.png

Get used to it. BOI is actually surprising, because at first I realized any game with rolls/character building immediately comes up here, but BOI is jus ridiculous.

Anyways,

View attachment 41419

As you can see, I barely touched repentance because I just hated it that much. I had 3mil% on Afterbirth. I uninstalled it and pretty much only play Afterbirth Eden streaks when I have a podcast I want to watch or something.

did you try any of the tainted characters? I wonder how would you feel about repentance dlc after try playing with tainted esau or tainted lost :lol:

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron

did you try any of the tainted characters? I wonder how would you feel about repentance dlc after trying playing with tainted esau or tainted lost :lol:
All I remember is finishing post-it notes for 3-4 tainted characters. I don't remember the names of the bosses, but I don't feel like spending another 1000 hours 100% the game. I finished my third save file on Afterbirth+ in just under 100 hours. Repentance isn't good enough for me to put that time in again.

The original reason I was so into the game was being able to break it, knowing the little tricks, etc. Maybe they do exist in Repentance, but they're much different. I can easily get a 100+ Eden streak with ~50+ Hush/Delirium kills in AB+, but enough has changed that I can't get close to that in Repentance.

I didn't like the changes in AB+ either but it didn't take me long to adapt.

Red Hexapus

Learned
Some of the Tainted characters are amazing and challenging (Isaac, Keeper, Lost), some are tedious as fuck and would never touch them again (Cain, Jacob, Eden). Also I really wish they had changed Delirium from the clusterfuck boss battle it still is in Repentance.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
Both Hush and Delirium are shit bosses.

Hush isn't even hard, but when you get him under 50% HP he just goes invulnerable for 90% of the remaining battle (unless you're very OP and kill him quickly). It's just wasting time and nothing else.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
20231217234227_1.jpg

Over the past 2 years I've been going back to this game pretty consistently to do a few runs of Eden and go for as high a streak as possible. Got bored about ~200 hours in and downloaded a mod that gives me an Eden's Blessing item when I kill Hush, just to give me incentive to go for something else for once. I might need more, because killing Hush is too easy. I get to him in around 90-95% of my runs since I've gotten used to him now. Everything else is pure win streak. Started with 0 in donation machine, have everything unlocked (3mil%), hard mode only, win counts as killing Blue Baby, The Lamb, Mega Satan or Delirium.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
BosanskiSeljak why don't you buy Repentance? It adds a metric ton of new stuff to unlock.
I bought it on release, played about 20-30 hours and finished a few post-it notes. I just wasn't feeling it, I feel like it takes away what makes Binding of Isaac fun. The cheap tricks, able to break the game on almost every run, getting OP, etc. The game doesn't do well being more balanced and Repentence shows that. AB+ did add some changes I didn't like but it wasn't even close to Repentence.

I don't have time in my life to fully focus another few hundred hours on a game like this. I may be wrong but I 100% a save file in 90hours on AB+, you're able to dodge the RNG bullshit if you're good enough, and that eden win streak is almost 450 right now. Repentance nerfs too many things and just makes the game boring. I won't make a sweeping statement of it, but after my time with it , it really feels like this stupid game that's supposed to be fun to break started taking itself too seriously.

PlayerEmers

Novice
BosanskiSeljak why don't you buy Repentance? It adds a metric ton of new stuff to unlock.
I bought it on release, played about 20-30 hours and finished a few post-it notes. I just wasn't feeling it, I feel like it takes away what makes Binding of Isaac fun. The cheap tricks, able to break the game on almost every run, getting OP, etc. The game doesn't do well being more balanced and Repentence shows that. AB+ did add some changes I didn't like but it wasn't even close to Repentence.

I don't have time in my life to fully focus another few hundred hours on a game like this. I may be wrong but I 100% a save file in 90hours on AB+, you're able to dodge the RNG bullshit if you're good enough, and that eden win streak is almost 450 right now. Repentance nerfs too many things and just makes the game boring. I won't make a sweeping statement of it, but after my time with it , it really feels like this stupid game that's supposed to be fun to break started taking itself too seriously.
I will be real: that was my thought when the DLC got released and on the first couple of hours playing it. steakmund nerfed a bunch of fun and/or broken items, some of the nerfs felt unneeded (devil rooms are a good example).
But I changed my opnion a couple of hours later. Lots of items got buffed and repentance added so many fun and things that can break the game. It pretty much balanced the unfun shit.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
I will be real: that was my thought when the DLC got released and on the first couple of hours playing it. steakmund nerfed a bunch of fun and/or broken items, some of the nerfs felt unneeded (devil rooms are a good example).
But I changed my opnion a couple of hours later. Lots of items got buffed and repentance added so many fun and things that can break the game. It pretty much balanced the unfun shit
I'll give it another shot after my eden streak ends but I've been on a heater and just can't be beat.

I'll be honest most of my aversion to it is not wanting to learn a bunch of new things. It's a completely different game and I need to be mentally prepared to get tilted.

quixotic

Learned
I’ve played OG WoTL, base Rebirth, Afterbirth, Afterbirth+ (hated it), and Repentance.
Repentance is the best DLC by far. Get it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
BosanskiSeljak i thought the two previous DLCs were really shit, cuz they inflated the item pool with worthless or outright run-ending items (Marked, curse of the tower, fruit cake that randomly blows you up with ipecac tears, ), and Delirium was (still is) the worst boss in the game.

Repentance OTOH buffs some of the shit items, revamps a lot of mechanics (i really like the new sacrifice rooms, for example), adds a ton of good and unique items and new item combos. And most of the tainted characters are pretty fun to play if a bit gimmicky (maybe except for Jacob and Lazarus). The additions are worth it even if you don't want to play through the alt paths or ascent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom