Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Realms of Antiquity: The Shattered Crown - Ultima-like retro RPG

Hey, adamantyr, thanks again for releasing the game on Steam! I bought it today. Much appreciated and I hope it ends up giving your game a little more exposure in the long run.

I had I question that I couldn't quite figure out on my own. Starting with the Hero class seems to imply that you'll be embarking on your ENTIRE journey solo, but then something else is mentioned in the instruction manual about being able to recruit other people as long as you have room in your party. So, can you recruit people into your party as the Hero class? Also, would it be viable to start a party of two, then find a couple of your premade companions throughout the game without being at too much of a disadvantage in the beginning? Basically, I want to be able to check out at least a couple of the companions you put in the world in case they have a certain amount of personality, etc.

And on the technical side, is there an option to set the game to fullscreen, but in it's native aspect ratio, on widescreen displays? As in, with black bars filling out the screen on either side?
Indeed, you can recruit party members on the road. By creating your entire party customized at the beginning of the game you won't have a possibility to recruit anybody on your journey. But there is nothing hindering from creating a party of two or three and then pick up characters in the game world. I very much enjoyed chosing the Hero because it gives you the proper "epic" feeling (Avatar-style!) and discovering potential party members in the game's world is another motivating aspect. The guy is stronger and more versatile than the other classes, so I had no trouble playing with him alone the first hours. There is one thing you should know though: Once a character is in your party there is no way to throw them out again (or change for another character). I often just made a "manual save" (=copying the whole game folder) and tried the different characters. That way I could easily go back if I wasn't satisfied with the character (I generally advise to make such "manual saves", I made over 60 of them and it makes me feel much safer. The game has been almost completely bug-free - and I'm still playing the early 1.11.012! - but you never know).

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Indeed, you can recruit party members on the road. By creating your entire party customized at the beginning of the game you won't have a possibility to recruit anybody on your journey. But there is nothing hindering from creating a party of two or three and then pick up characters in the game world. I very much enjoyed chosing the Hero because it gives you the proper "epic" feeling and discovering potential party members in the game's world is another motivating aspect. The guy is stronger and more versatile than the other classes, so I had no trouble playing with him alone the first hours.

Thanks a lot for the quick response! Now the only problem with choosing the Hero class is he unfortunately has the worst (ie - most boring) character sprite of all the classes.

Once a character is in your party there is no way to throw them out again (or change for another character). I often just made a "manual save" (=copying the whole game folder) and tried the different characters. That way I could easily go back if I wasn't satisfied with the character (I generally advise to make such "manual saves", I made over 60 of them and it makes me feel much safer. The game has been almost completely bug-free - and I'm still playing the early 1.11.012! - but you never know).

Yeah, I read about this in the manual too. Really unfortunate design decision, but I guess I'll try to take your advice and create a "manual" save when the time comes.

Last edited:
Indeed, you can recruit party members on the road. By creating your entire party customized at the beginning of the game you won't have a possibility to recruit anybody on your journey. But there is nothing hindering from creating a party of two or three and then pick up characters in the game world. I very much enjoyed chosing the Hero because it gives you the proper "epic" feeling and discovering potential party members in the game's world is another motivating aspect. The guy is stronger and more versatile than the other classes, so I had no trouble playing with him alone the first hours.

Thanks a lot for the quick response! Now the only problem with choosing the Hero class is he unfortunately has the worst character sprite of all the classes.
Yeah, I thought the same at the beginning - he looks so underwhelming. But you'll get accustomed to it. I guess the Hero sprite is intended to show an average guy who just got involuntarily "beamed" over from the real world into Taluana (a bit like Ultima's Avatar). There is nothing epic about his appearance, but let me tell you: This guy means business and deals hard blows!

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Yep, the hero is deliberately designed to look like some poor fellow in sneakers and jeans who got brought over into a fantasy world. ;)

I had planned to make him look like a warrior in plate armor with spikes and lots of gaudiness, but then I thought, why not make him look like a regular dude? He's already got lots of advantages in power and abilities.

Also, for a Manual save, the only five files you need to make copies of are SAV, SG0, SG1, SG2 and SG3.

Jinn

Arcane
Oh yeah, hey adamantyr, you might have missed another question I asked since my post was the last one on the prior page, so I'll quote myself here just in case.

And on the technical side, is there an option to set the game to fullscreen, but in it's native aspect ratio, on widescreen displays? As in, with black bars filling out the screen on either side?

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer

There are video options in classic99 for several of these. Sadly a "widescreen" with black bars on the side doesn't appear to be an option. You can either update the INI file to change things, or disable AppMode in the INI so you can have access to the emulator's drop-down menus to play around with it.

adamantyr A quest related question:

I explored the secret tomb northwest of Zephar (got the quest by this pompous Pasha guy). Now I'm trying to decide what wishes I should take from the Djinni... the "knowledge" wish gives me passwords for the Golden Tower and the secret Raider hideout - I wondered if I can get these passwords at another place as well or if the Djinni is the only way to get them?

Thanks!

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer

I explored the secret tomb northwest of Zephar (got the quest by this pompous Pasha guy). Now I'm trying to decide what wishes I should take from the Djinni... the "knowledge" wish gives me passwords for the Golden Tower and the secret Raider hideout - I wondered if I can get these passwords at another place as well or if the Djinni is the only way to get them?

Thanks!

Yes, you can gain that knowledge elsewhere and the Djinn will offer other knowledge... potentially skill points.

Thanks!

Yes, you can gain that knowledge elsewhere and the Djinn will offer other knowledge... potentially skill points.

Thanks! Ah ok. So I'll go and get the informations elsewhere and return to the Djinni afterwards to ask him about knowledge.

Ladonna

Arcane
Wow, I just noticed this was finished as well! I only just started playing Nox Archaist (which is an awesome game), so will purchase this and keep it on the backburner for next in line. The Commodore guys are really dropping the ball when it comes to these kinds of RPG's so far. Apple II and TI99 - 1, Commodore - 0. I hope you rubbed this in with the Unknown Realm guys.

Jinn

Arcane
Wow, I just noticed this was finished as well! I only just started playing Nox Archaist (which is an awesome game), so will purchase this and keep it on the backburner for next in line. The Commodore guys are really dropping the ball when it comes to these kinds of RPG's so far. Apple II and TI99 - 1, Commodore - 0. I hope you rubbed this in with the Unknown Realm guys.

If you like Nox Archaist, you're going to love this too. Each game does a few things better than the other, I think, but ultimately this one plays a bit overall better in my opinion. They're both awesome though, and both worth playing. I kind of wish I could take the best elements of both and meld them together. Either way, pretty amazing seeing games like these made today. Makes me really happy.

Ladonna

Arcane
Each game does a few things better than the other, I think, but ultimately this one plays a bit overall better in my opinion.

Which elements do you prefer from each game? I am hoping these guys get the bug and want to keep on creating more original platform RPG's, like the Realms of Quest guy. That way I get to keep on playing them.

Jinn

Arcane
Which elements do you prefer from each game? I am hoping these guys get the bug and want to keep on creating more original platform RPG's, like the Realms of Quest guy. That way I get to keep on playing them.

Well, I like the combat, magic system, itemization, skill/training system, quest design, writing, UI, and exploration in Realms of Antiquity more than Nox...

So I guess I just prefer Realms of Antiquity overall, now that I think about it. I think it's just a step above in all regards. Nox Archaist might give a more "immersive" feeling since your character sprites don't transition in size between combat and exploration modes, and that might be the only thing I can actually think of that I prefer. Definitely not trying to shit on Nox Archaist at all, I still think it's a lot of fun and worth playing, but since these are THE two games like this to come out in 2020, I would have to lean towards Realms.

Last edited:

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Well gosh, now I'm blushing. Thanks Jinn! I'm glad you enjoy the game. I just really tried to design a game that appealed to my own sense of what I enjoyed most in CRPGs. I avoided overly complex mechanisms like time or calendars, for example, because I didn't feel like it really contributed to the gameplay. One thing I was really keen on was a magic system that was worth using; Ultima's always been kind of weak in that regard.

Truthfully, I hadn't intended to release so close to Nox Archaist. I backed them and frankly see it as a "big brother/little brother" thing, because they had a Kickstarter, a professionally designed product with custom artwork and all that. I'm glad we are able to compliment each other; I hope the CRPG addict plays both our games close to each other so that he can compare the two!

Ghislain (of Realms of Quest) was one of my testers and a good friend! I loved the character portraits he did with RoQ; I seriously considered doing those in RoA myself. The C64 community is huge, I'm sure they'll deliver some great stuff! I've been asked to port RoA to the C64 a few times. :D

And yeah, Unknown Realms... I backed them and they betrayed the retro community. They already had one post deleted off the KS page because it mentioned my game directly, so I figure they'd just block or delete me. And they honestly aren't worth bothering about, unless they try and come back to scam people out of more money again. In that case, I will make sure they don't get to do so without people knowing what they've done.

Ladonna

Arcane
I avoided overly complex mechanisms like time or calendars, for example, because I didn't feel like it really contributed to the gameplay.

This does work when it comes to an immersive reason to add it in, such as quests that require you to do something at a certain time eg a guard changing shift, breaking in to buildings when the guards are asleep, or some meeting taking place. Ultima games were really the only games that made good use of this before, and even then, it was mainly just Ultima V. Other games usually just inserted it for no better reason than immersion for immersion sake, or to annoy late night shoppers.

I hope the CRPG addict plays both our games close to each other so that he can compare the two!

Man, you are optimistic. I think he is up to 1993, and it has taken him 10 years or so to get here. He might get to 2020 in about 20 years time.

And yeah, Unknown Realms... I backed them and they betrayed the retro community. They already had one post deleted off the KS page because it mentioned my game directly, so I figure they'd just block or delete me. And they honestly aren't worth bothering about, unless they try and come back to scam people out of more money again. In that case, I will make sure they don't get to do so without people knowing what they've done.

They are a pack of scumbags that totally ruined the trust of the Commodore retro community. Thankfully, people like yourself have shown that there are people out there that get the job done, even on a much more obscure system than the C64. Now that you have a great game out and about, you could probably do a kickstarter for another RPG quite easily and get a good turnout due to the fact you have shown that you walk the walk. Do you have any further plans for more oldschool RPG's? Or have you done what you wanted to do?

Perhaps I'm a bit unfair with Nox Archaist, but I started playing NA in december - and then RoA happened... it stroke in like a lightning and since then I haven't returned to NA. RoA just plays so well and fluent, there is just so much to do and discover, so many clever quests and at no point over the last weeks and months I felt bored. For me adamantyr has found the perfect formula of adventure in this game and I already know that's an RPG I'll keep on my shelf for many years to come. I'm still playing and have at least 1/4 or the world to explore left (I enjoy the game in small doses, like a good whisky, every evening a small glass).
What I found a good idea in NA: The possibility to skip easy battles later on. But even that isn't something that hinders my enjoyment in RoA: I simply throw one or two firestorms and watch all those pesky rats and other lowlevel scum burn. :D

Jinn

Arcane
Perhaps I'm a bit unfair with Nox Archaist, but I started playing NA in december - and then RoA happened... and since then I haven't returned to NA. RoA just plays so well and fluent, there is just so much to do and discover, so many clever quests and at no point over the last weeks and months I felt bored. For me adamantyr has found the perfect formula of adventure in this game and I already know that's an RPG I'll keep on my shelf for many years to come. I'm still playing and have at least 1/4 or the world to explore left (I enjoy the game in small doses, like a good whisky, every evening a small glass).
What I found a good idea in NA: The possibility to skip easy battles later on. But even that isn't something that hinders my enjoyment in RoA: I simply throw one or two firestorms and watch all those pesky rats and other lowlevel scum burn.

Yeah, you state it very well here.

On the topic of combat; it hasn't been a drag for me yet, and it's pretty fluid all things considered. One of the things that really made Nox Archaist drag for me was once I got 6 characters, every battle was just so slow. I'd have to spend so much time closing and engaging with the enemy so that I could actually increase my skills (by use), that half the battle was running at the enemy. Another thing that makes the combat in Realms of Antiquity a much better experience for me is that it actually has action points, and a number of variables that dictate their consumption, which lends a much needed bit of complexity to this classic style of combat. It's fairly simple tactical turn-based combat, but it's still fun, and the enemy varieties have already been great in just the first 8 or so hours of gameplay. The amount of spells to play around with is great too.

Last edited:
Yeah Jinn , the enemy variety is almost extreme! Every location has its own critters, small ones and bigger ones, and there's always something new to battle. And many have unique behaviours. What I also very much like in RoA's combats: Every location has its own unique battlefields with different backgrounds, different vegetation and more or less obstacles. It feels like every battle you do is unique.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Really enjoying this so far! I've not been in the mood lately to really play anything other than dumb console games in the living room, but just sat down and put 60 straight minutes into this one and had a blast. Walking around is a bit slow, but I suppose that's a hardware limitation.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
I may have a sequel in me. We will see. :) I have some other TI projects I want to do first for some variety. The CRPG Addict changed his "must go in chronological order" plan so that he could indulge himself once in awhile with something special, so I kind of hope Nox and Realms would be two he'd like to experience sooner rather than later.

My initial designs had battlemaps as static maps loaded from disk, similar to what Ultima IV and V did. As I went along though and kept adding more tiles, though, I realized how many I'd need and how in most cases, the same map would be rendered over and over in boring fashion, especially in caves or dungeons. So when I had extra memory I wrote a dynamic battlemap generator. I'll have to write up an article on my blog about it.

The scrolling speed is actually deliberately delayed. Not because it would be too fast, but because different views would take less or more time to render and they have to be equalized. That said, I ended up breaking some maps into two because I found too many mobs (mobile objects) caused the game to noticeably slow down since it had to process them every turn.

Comte

I may have a sequel in me. We will see. :) I have some other TI projects I want to do first for some variety. The CRPG Addict changed his "must go in chronological order" plan so that he could indulge himself once in awhile with something special, so I kind of hope Nox and Realms would be two he'd like to experience sooner rather than later.

My initial designs had battlemaps as static maps loaded from disk, similar to what Ultima IV and V did. As I went along though and kept adding more tiles, though, I realized how many I'd need and how in most cases, the same map would be rendered over and over in boring fashion, especially in caves or dungeons. So when I had extra memory I wrote a dynamic battlemap generator. I'll have to write up an article on my blog about it.

The scrolling speed is actually deliberately delayed. Not because it would be too fast, but because different views would take less or more time to render and they have to be equalized. That said, I ended up breaking some maps into two because I found too many mobs (mobile objects) caused the game to noticeably slow down since it had to process them every turn.

Hey you gonna make that east front game?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
adamantyr It wouldn't let me get both the disks and the SD card... anyway I can get the SD card as well? And I missed out on the cartridge... :cry:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom