Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Larianshill

Arbiter
Oh, so that's what up with that.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Got to the end of the Moralist Vision Quest.
You need to pass the check with Soona to get her onboard with the theory of the Pale expanding, after everything else. Telling them about the pale expansion in the church is the only thing that gets them to give a shit.

It's pretty cool too. It's not like the fascist vision quest where you get a new portrait, instead you get a nice big beautiful...

Bad Ending.
20210402112554-1.jpg

20210402112654-1.jpg

20210402112714-1.jpg

20210402112802-1.jpg

20210402112814-1.jpg

Guess the Moralintern doesn't want knowledge of Pale expansion in the wrong hands, looks like Klaasje is gonna have some company in the grave.

You can back out of it. Moralintern vaguely suggests that there can be consequences, but it's not clear if it's a threat.

Larianshill

Arbiter
You can have a wide range of opinions on all matters of VA, but Jean Vicquemare's new voice is a crime against humanity. What were they thinking? Not in love with Korty's new VA, and why did they feel the need to replace Ruud's actor for two of his lines, I have no fucking idea.

Archwizard Hank

Learned
I've begun the long and arduous process of decoding this game's files. I'm starting with the original version of the game just to get an idea of where the audio is stored and what scripts reference them, though the asset extractor I'm using has problems opening the asset bundles from the Final Cut, which is troubling. Going to run tests with the other Unity tools I have downloaded just so I can confirm whether or not it's a problem exclusive to the tool or a problem with the Final Cut. If it's the latter, this may have to get tabled until the devs of these mod tools can update the databases, because I know all of dick and shit about tool development.

1TnxHEV.png

I have a less sophisticated asset extractor to compliment this, though it's more tuned to extracting models. I also have several programs for comparing and contrasting C# and .net code which should hopefully expedite the process of figuring out what references I need to change, but I don't expect this to be done until the end of the month at best. In any case, I'm giving it my all.

KVVRR

Learned
You can have a wide range of opinions on all matters of VA, but Jean Vicquemare's new voice is a crime against humanity. What were they thinking? Not in love with Korty's new VA, and why did they feel the need to replace Ruud's actor for two of his lines, I have no fucking idea.
Nah, Jean's new voice actually sounds like a french policemen instead of someone forcefully trying to imitate a person who has smoked 3 packs a day for 30 years. The only problem is that he can't emote anger/annoyance as well as the previous guy.

I've begun the long and arduous process of decoding this game's files. I'm starting with the original version of the game just to get an idea of where the audio is stored and what scripts reference them, though the asset extractor I'm using has problems opening the asset bundles from the Final Cut, which is troubling. Going to run tests with the other Unity tools I have downloaded just so I can confirm whether or not it's a problem exclusive to the tool or a problem with the Final Cut. If it's the latter, this may have to get tabled until the devs of these mod tools can update the databases, because I know all of dick and shit about tool development.

1TnxHEV.png

I have a less sophisticated asset extractor to compliment this, though it's more tuned to extracting models. I also have several programs for comparing and contrasting C# and .net code which should hopefully expedite the process of figuring out what references I need to change, but I don't expect this to be done until the end of the month at best. In any case, I'm giving it my all.
Godspeed

Larianshill

Arbiter
Nah, Jean's new voice actually sounds like a french policemen instead of someone forcefully trying to imitate a person who has smoked 3 packs a day for 30 years. The only problem is that he can't emote anger/annoyance as well as the previous guy.
What do I care if he sounds french or not? If he's incapable of sounding fed up with your shit - which is the whole point of his character - he's not a good fit for the character.

KVVRR

Learned
What do I care if he sounds french or not? If he's incapable of sounding fed up with your shit - which is the whole point of his character - he's not a good fit for the character.
The point was that he sounds like a human being rather than a caricature now, but you're right in that he really should be able to express his annoyance better

Zariusz

Arbiter
Can you get full rcm uniform now? I remember there were RCM pants in game but there wasnt any way to obtain them. Maybe they implemented them finally.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait so Lena was supposed to be party member?

Shame they never restored it because the finale would make a lot more impact if lena was there.

This was supposed to be a screen from 2017
81e2a2e.jpg

Fredward

Scholar
I'd like to report a bug: apparently this is the final cut but you can't kiss Kim under the Pale moonlight it can't be.

His Dudeness

Augur
Just started it, pretty good so far reminds me of Grim Fandango with skill checks instead of clicking puzzles.

I like how the skills are voiced, reminds me of the hypothesis of the bicameral mind.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There is now a Klaasje comparison too:
The new voice has none of the mystique of the original. It feels bog-standard. Even before that though, and I'm not sure if this is an artifact of video recording, but the new voice kinda sounds like she's speaking over Discord. The mixing is definitely a bit off.
The final cut version is better. The original sounds like a bored office clerk

No. Once you let the genie out of the bottle, you can't get it back in.

The original Klaasje is not bored, she's thoroughly worn out by the life she has led. And completely unfazed by the antics of the protag. There is a certain Twin Peaks-isque disconnect.

While the new voice acting is "better", it projects a different character. There is laughter in her voice now. And they voice the parts that were in your head. Reality can never compete with your imagination.

Another case of "less is more".

Random thought-dump after some more hours. In day 2 now, either I'm hitting some new content or (MUCH more likely) retarded physical Harry was missing great swaths of game in my first playthrough since now I'm even finding out about the drug smuggling which I had none of before. Similarly, Raphael wasn't able to bring up the cock carousel while that was one of the ongoing highlights of Harry. Voice acting's still feeling mostly positive but there are still a few lines here and there without audio and only about one instance where the audio levels were noticeably different between lines. I'm curious about once I get to the cryptofascist since IIRC he had the absolute fucking worst audio quality in the original release. Disco still head and shoulders above everything else for the writing, and the C&C's enjoyable since my first playthrough didn't give a terribly good sense of what I was missing. Likely because a fair bit of it ends up behind those hidden skill thresholds rather than the big obvious dice rolls. Sitting on your skillpoints is good for jacking up skills/getting rerolls on checks but bites you in the ass for the passive checks. Not to mention simply depending on whatever build you're doing.

Sure as fuck hoping for another RPG along these lines and in the same setting.
1108b516a2266b857d08c2a5f2e7854b14b87ad1.png

I'd like to report a bug: apparently this is the final cut but you can't kiss Kim under the Pale moonlight it can't be.
I INTERNALIZED THE HOMOSEXUAL UNDERGROUND TO CLAIM KIM AS MY WAIFU AND IT DIDN'T WORK, SEND IT THE FUCK BACK!

I don’t appreciate how they massacred Cuno’s VO. It was pure gold..
TECHNICALLY it feels like Cuno's lines are higher quality now. Both the recording itself sounding better and the delivery. But yeah, I miss the ear-shattering FUCK DOES CUNO CARE too.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Your anger appears to be an expression of your grief. You grieve the loss of the old shouty VO the same way you grieve for the loss of all that hair that Obsidian's hair people cut from the girls of Outer Worlds.
You nearly got it right. I grief for the hair I lost while playing their previous masterpieces PoE/Deadfire. I've never bought, installed or played Outer Worlds :)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've begun the long and arduous process of decoding this game's files.
If you are willing to lend me a hand, I'm looking for a way to encode my own mp3s into a wwise format and replace Deadfire's combat music. All the methods I've tried so far have given me no audio ingame.

Fredward

Scholar
I INTERNALIZED THE HOMOSEXUAL UNDERGROUND TO CLAIM KIM AS MY WAIFU AND IT DIDN'T WORK, SEND IT THE FUCK BACK!

IKR? Allow me to set the scene: it's Harry and Kim stranded on the last archipelago of the stable now the Pale is everywhere but the moon still recalls what is to shine as they decohere into geometry and history they lean in for a kiss something beautiful is coming and we are borne ceaselessly into the past.

ALSO does anyone know if hardcore mode's extra XP makes up for the increased skill checks if you cheese Actual Art Degree, Wompty-Dompty Dom Centre and Jamais Vu? I haven't played hardcore mode yet but I might try now but the most important thing is content high skill checks unlock.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

This is zoomer redditfag slang, don't do that.

it's Harry and Kim stranded on the last archipelago of the stable now the Pale is everywhere but the moon still recalls what is to shine as they decohere into geometry and history they lean in for a kiss something beautiful is coming and we are borne ceaselessly into the past.

The amount of Pale may grow or recede based on the amount of living humans at any time. That is, there can be some stable equilibrium where it doesn't increase or decrease anymore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/124904-disco-elysium-the-final-cut-reviews.html

IGN 10/10:

Disco Elysium is a unique blend of noir-detective fiction, traditional pen-and-paper RPGs, and a large helping of existentialist theory. Its twisting plot, cast of memorable characters, and sheer depth of choice combine to create an experience that begs to be savoured. It hits on every single one of the marks it sets out to achieve and left me yearning to spend more time in its world. Removing any of the minor gripes I had with the original by adding new quests and a full cast of well-voiced characters, The Final Cut elevates Disco Elysium from an already phenomenal RPG to a true must-play masterpiece.

Game Informer 9/10:

No two run-throughs of Disco Elysium are quite the same. If you’re returning to it, The Final Cut is a great opportunity to try out different choices, pursue different ideologies, and see new branches of the story. Plus, if you already own the game on PC, The Final Cut is available as a free update. For console players who have waited to see what the fuss is about, this version presents the complete picture of why this unique setting and story have earned so much praise. Disco Elysium is a must-play game, and The Final Cut is the best (and only, for many people) way to play it.

Press Start Australia 9.5/10:

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut is the definitive version of an already brilliant game. It’s a melding pot of eccentric characters, thought-provoking social commentary, and a staggering sense of world and place within its setting. Its main narrative might fumble in its conclusion, but everything you’ll experience before that is some of the best stuff you can find in this kind of RPG.

Just Push Start 9/10:

It goes without saying, Disco Elysium – The Final Cut is going to be a divisive experience. Some people are going to love all the dialogue, options, and role-playing elements. Even returning fans will flip at the voiceovers that really make the experience immersive. This just won’t appeal to everyone. Some players will want to do more or possibly get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of dialogue, which totals over 1 million words, though for those this appeals to, it will really appeal to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom