Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
Will have to wait till it leaves Early Access. Aw man, I don't know how I'm going to be able to play this, Wrath of the Righteous, and Knights of the Chalice 2. Plus, there's also Solasta too.
You have something good once every 10 years, it's ok you will have time.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's OK, hatboy. It took us all that time just to figure out "the simpler the better." Even you can keep up with that.

There's enjoying CRPGs and then there's fetishizing them.

No fetish. I’m as critical as anyone. Most of the time has been spent on testing different classes, tactics, and group dynamics. Much of it on request. It’s fun to try things and see how they work. Just like any other hobby.

Uninformed, knee-jerk criticism is unfortunately a general thing on the Kotex since so little criticism of any kind is allowed in other fora. Making criticism more accurate and constructive shouldn’t be restricted to Spergs just because they’re good at it.

Look, Im sorta appreciating your efforts but seeing someone spend TWO THOUSAND HOURS on a single game makes me uncomfortable. It takes about 1000 hours to become proficient with an instrument. You guys could've started a band by now.
I seen a person who spend 5000 hours on a game. IIRC HoI4. And I'm pretty sure Elich streamer on twitch spend A LOT of thousand hours on Warhammer TW. Considering it's his main streaming stuff, aside of PoE, or Gwen. Or loop hero. With 120 hours in last 15 days, there are probably very few people who badmouthed Warhammer TW more hours than Elich.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's OK, hatboy. It took us all that time just to figure out "the simpler the better." Even you can keep up with that.

There's enjoying CRPGs and then there's fetishizing them.

No fetish. I’m as critical as anyone. Most of the time has been spent on testing different classes, tactics, and group dynamics. Much of it on request. It’s fun to try things and see how they work. Just like any other hobby.

Uninformed, knee-jerk criticism is unfortunately a general thing on the Kotex since so little criticism of any kind is allowed in other fora. Making criticism more accurate and constructive shouldn’t be restricted to Spergs just because they’re good at it.

Look, Im sorta appreciating your efforts but seeing someone spend TWO THOUSAND HOURS on a single game makes me uncomfortable. It takes about 1000 hours to become proficient with an instrument. You guys could've started a band by now.
I seen a person who spend 5000 hours on a game. IIRC HoI4. And I'm pretty sure Elich streamer on twitch spend A LOT of thousand hours on Warhammer TW. Considering it's his main streaming stuff, aside of PoE, or Gwen. Or loop hero. With 120 hours in last 15 days, there are probably very few people who badmouthed Warhammer TW more hours than Elich.
People spent a lot more on counterstrike. At least HOI4 has some multiplayer replayability, solo you wont spend thousands of hours .

Sharpedge

Prophet
Going through the reviews of Path of Exile, you can find people like this.
unknown.png

I think with 50,000 hours you can learn an instrument.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
People spent a lot more on counterstrike. At least HOI4 has some multiplayer replayability, solo you wont spend thousands of hours .
Spending hours solo is still sometimes preferable than spending hours with multiplayer assholes.

Also before Man the gun update, it was one of few games where you can do research, build ships, and blow up some carriers. After MtG naval DLC update, it turned into DoTA like match with each ship is in its own lane... Paradox is skilled in dumpstering game into oversimplified unplayable mess. Stellaris become simplified, and boring. Aka it's not only HoI4 which was screwed up. Warhammer II became more accessible to masses, which hurt the game. And that basically covers all recent game that have some replayability.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
50,000 hours is more than 5 years non-stop. That guy must've played 8 hours every day for 15 years to do that. It's probably a bug.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Going through the reviews of Path of Exile, you can find people like this.
unknown.png

I think with 50,000 hours you can learn an instrument.

That guy must hate life. I wouldn't call POE bad, but it's easily one of the most bland ARPGs ever. I can't even imagine that level of escapism

SoupNazi

Or he's using a software to boost his hours. Are all of you so computer illiterate that your minds can't even conceive the idea that just a few years ago, the same result could have probably been achieved by adjusting Windows clock, and nowadays there's probably a software for it? When it comes to these extremes, I guarantee something like that has been used.

Lesser extremes can be explained simply by keeping the game running in the background. I have a super high playtime on Kenshi (probably 2-3 times more than the time I actually paid attention to it) simply because that game is great to run in the background while doing something else, then returning to order a move or something, and just checking periodically that you haven't been attacked on your travels, etc.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I have a super high playtime on Kenshi (probably 2-3 times more than the time I actually paid attention to it) simply because that game is great to run in the background while doing something else, then returning to order a move or something, and just checking periodically that you haven't been attacked on your travels, etc.

TBH sounds like you're playing Kenshi the wrong way. :prosper:

SoupNazi

Maybe, but my point is that the simple answer is that those hours are inflated, not that someone actually spent 50k hours playing PoE, lol

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lets do some retarded math with yours truly. There are about 24 hrs in a day. There are 7 days in a week. 24 * 7 = 168 hrs - you can dump about a hundred hours into a video game in first week within its release day. If you play it nonstop. Alright. Now, there are 365 days in a year. So, 365 * 24 = 8760 hrs. Now that's a lot of maths; muh brain sweating over here. This means that you easily exceed over 5000 hrs in any given game if you play it nonstop for over a year. Now lets look at how many hours you can achieve in playtime if you play a game for several years. Path of Exile started somewhere around 2011 - 2013 According to my authoritative search engine - Google.

Lets run this arithmetic through the good old Google™ calculator. From 2011 to 2020 = 9 yrs. If 1 yr = 8760 then 9 * 8760 will = 78840 hrs. What does this all mean? Well. If my maths checks out. This guy has been playing nothing but Path of Exile for the last several years. That kind of commitment should be applauded! Assuming he isn't cheating his hours. There are those who spend their time doing productive things - but not us. We spend our time playing games, writing guides, making videos about them; getting good at them - then sperging about them on online korean sweat shop codex forums.

Video Games may be the best abstinence ever created!

Mortmal

Arcane
Lets do some retarded math with yours truly. There are about 24 hrs in a day. There are 7 days in a week. 24 * 7 = 168 hrs - you can dump about a hundred hours into a video game in first week within its release day. If you play it nonstop. Alright. Now, there are 365 days in a year. So, 365 * 24 = 8760 hrs. Now that's a lot of maths; muh brain sweating over here. This means that you easily exceed over 5000 hrs in any given game if you play it nonstop for over a year. Now lets look at how many hours you can achieve in playtime if you play a game for several years. Path of Exile started somewhere around 2011 - 2013 According to my authoritative search engine - Google.

Lets run this arithmetic through the good old Google™ calculator. From 2011 to 2020 = 9 yrs. If 1 yr = 8760 then 9 * 8760 will = 78840 hrs. What does this all mean? Well. If my maths checks out. This guy has been playing nothing but Path of Exile for the last several years. That kind of commitment should be applauded! Assuming he isn't cheating his hours. There are those who spend their time doing productive things - but not us. We spend our time playing games, writing guides, making videos about them; getting good at them - then sperging about them on online korean sweat shop codex forums.

Video Games may be the best abstinence ever created!
There's guys on the codex shoutbox almost 24/24, 78840 hours on path of exile, thats no achievment compare to that.Bet warpig spent more time than that posting about jgirls.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Maybe, but my point is that the simple answer is that those hours are inflated, not that someone actually spent 50k hours playing PoE, lol

Even ghosting 50k hours takes a depressing level of effort. But I've known OG EQ addicts that legit played 8-12 hours a day for years so I'm not really shocked when I see pathetic levels of gaming depravity.

SoupNazi

Even ghosting 50k hours takes a depressing level of effort. But I've known OG EQ addicts that legit played 8-12 hours a day for years so I'm not really shocked when I see pathetic levels of gaming depravity.
Actually, it takes about 3 seconds of googling, and then I expect something like 2 minutes of setup. Nowhere near "depressing level of effort".

jackofshadows

Magister
50k hours might be simply achieved by sharing an acc (literally for example) and/or lots of alt-tab. PoE has complex economy and AFAIK some dudes spending on auction more than they're spending actually slicing mobs there.

That's not uncommon in MMOs as much as this kind of hours played aren't uncommon in general there. Some people have few years /played on 1 char in WoW for instance and they aren't exactly ultra-rare at that.

Spending thousands of hours on a single player game is a different matter though...

Harthwain

Magister
Spending thousands of hours on a single player game is a different matter though...
Depends. Some games can be played a lot in singleplayer due to their very nature. I sank more than a thousand hours into Battle Brothers (first I played demo, then the Early Access and then the full game). I am sure I put a bit more than a thousand hours into Crusader Kings 2 too (the base version). Running With Rifles is another game I can see one play hundreds of hours in singleplayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom