Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Latelistener

Arcane
There aren't that many fire resistant enemies in the game to be honest. Lost Izalith plus demons outside of it and other enemies here and there.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, that's why I regret I didn't get 2 gorgoyle halebards, cause I have no idea you could do that. One for fire, other for lightning...
Eh..

I've always found the drop rates in DS1 weird. Perhaps I'm just an outlier, but I don't have time to playthrough that game more than once every 3 or 4 years. There's no chance of me having the time investment required to get much into NG+, and I'm sure as shit not going to dick about farming the same fights over and over just hoping for an Infrequent with a 5% drop rate. It just seems like they made an intentional decision somewhere along the line to hide a lot of the gear behind time gates instead of skill gates. Why not expand on what they did with O&S and reward players with interesting loot for skill challenges ("defeat boss X in under 1 minute" "defeat boss Y without rolling or blocking" "defeat boss Z while at SL1") that sort of thing. Just seems like a missed opportunity.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
intentional decision somewhere along the line to hide a lot of the gear behind time gates

I think you misunderstand dev intent here. I believe that rare drops, in a game like Dark Souls, where literally every single weapon is a viable weapon, where even something "bad" is still pretty usable upgraded, aren't intended as time gates (even though many of us may treat it as such when there is something that is appealing to our greed) but as flavor to make each run of a game unique. Like, maybe you might end up building around that black knight halberd because it dropped. Or maybe you won't because it didn't drop, and you won't restart the game solely for the purpose of getting it. Oh, but that baller side sword dropped instead while you explored the parish! now here's what made your char/run unique.

With a great variety of things that have low drop rates, over the course of a full game run, you're bound to get one or two things without having farmed for them. You notice them, and they made your playthrough unique. The end.

None of these things are anywhere near "ye getting an OP boost buddy" territory.

Note that this is a conscious design decision that goes hand in hand with the general design of a game like Dark Souls, whose focus is to make each playthrough unique through the way you routed in the game (did this newbie walk into the catacombs as soon as he left the asylum? did he build a magic focused character or a melee dood? is the melee dood a tank or a dodgefest? the culmination of various decisions, random happenstance (whether it be item drops or.. invasions!), paths taken in which order, npc quests failed or succeeded contribute to make any one playthrough of the game as unique as it ever gets in that genre of game without going into procedural generation garbage territory. Any two souls players who went through their first blind playthrough have a unique tale to tell.)

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Amazing that that needs explanation. Dark Souls isn't Diablo.

Unique weapons, if they drop, will only help out in the very beginning because of the higher base damage of such weapons compared to regular weapons without upgrades. But that's about it.

Accessibility to upgrades is the only time gate.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
nkev8at07jp61.jpg

Black Angel

Arcane
There aren't that many fire resistant enemies in the game to be honest.
And Gwyn is weak to fire. A Lord of Cinder, indeed.

With a great variety of things that have low drop rates, over the course of a full game run, you're bound to get one or two things without having farmed for them. You notice them, and they made your playthrough unique. The end.
My first proper playthrough ever (albeit unfinished because my laptop decided to just fucking die at the time) had a lucky drop of Black Knight Greatsword. One of my best run ever.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, he did set himself on fire because his family is in shambles, of course he would be vulnerable to it.

Latelistener

Arcane
Speaking of, I've been looking into the armors that you upgrade with twinkling titanite that you can get relatively early on, because I don't want the hassle of grinding out three dozen Titanite Chunks for my armor followed by four Slabs that are an even bigger pain to get. Anyone got ideas about this?
Paladin Armor is among the best sets in the game. Combine it with Giant Gauntlets and they'll give you the perfect amount of poise (61). You can add Giant Helmet for that prestigious look. I don't think you can get it early, but you can try of course.

D549C3D2F729D002547C58771CA940931A306C56
Also, it's not chunks, but you will still need a lot. And as with chunks there is only one good place to farm it.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You don't use slabs on armor. Not that it is THAT big of a deal to farm them if you are used to MMO grinding but i'm going to assume you don't want to do that.

Chunks are no more of a pain to farm than Twinkling.

Caim

Arcane
Not sure if it isn't just easier to farm for the souls to buy twinkling from the giant blacksmith.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dark Souls literally saved my life. At the time I was in a terrible relationship, but I was so used to my day-to-day life being horrible that in my head looking for something else wasn't even an option. Then I got addicted to this series and, after something like 100 combined runs of DS1, DS2, BB, and DeS, I realized that maybe enjoying playing a videogame more than spending time with your significant other isn't that normal. Thank you, Dark Souls.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I played all three Souls games and the first one is just special. Demon's Souls is next i'm just waiting until i get my hands on the 5600x as my 2600 still struggles in the emulator (slows to a crawl when i roll into boxes for instance).

Too bad i'll never play BB. Fucking Sony.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Unlocking the framerate, the PS4 can't maintain 60 stable fps. Even the PS5 sometimes drops to 40-50 when it gets crowded, but from what I've seen it's not that common. An entirely different experience compared to the 30 fps of the original game.

Imagine suggesting buying a fucking Sony console in 2021, lol.
Lyric Suite, do yourself a favor and borrow a PS5 from a friend, install Lance's patch to play at 60 fps, and enjoy From's best game since DS1.
:abyssgazer:

fork

Unlocking the framerate, the PS4 can't maintain 60 stable fps. Even the PS5 sometimes drops to 40-50 when it gets crowded, but from what I've seen it's not that common. An entirely different experience compared to the 30 fps of the original game.

Imagine suggesting buying a fucking Sony console in 2021, lol.
Lyric Suite, do yourself a favor and borrow a PS5 from a friend, install Lance's patch to play at 60 fps, and enjoy From's best game since DS1.
:abyssgazer:

Codexers don't have friends, certainly not ones owning PS5s.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom