Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrigan leaves the party

Shitposter
In Dragon Age: Origins Morrigan leaves

omg you can't even get laid in a video game lmao
based morrigan
uF5VQiW.jpg

Johnny Biggums

Learned
I think an assumption that needs to be made with RPG companions is that they don't just let you hoard all of the money you find in your adventures. They're not slaves, realistically they would want a share of the party's wealth. This is represented by the equipment you put on them; whether you bought it from a store or looted it somewhere, it's their part of the share and they're not just going to give it to you because they're leaving.

True, but what if I'm roleplaying an egomaniacal narcissist who steals everything that isn't nailed down and kills innocent people for loot whenever he can get away with it, as I always am 100% of the time?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I think the real problem is that it happens too seldom, not too often. Companions are introduced as integral part of the party and they are treated for majority of the game as identical to your PC. They always fallow player, he can control them and they are usually on the same level as the PC. Which makes people unprepared when they betray them once in a blue moon. One example would be Kingmaker ending when players may lose many of their treasured party members with no prior warning. This is not such huge issue in Wizardry 8. There companions are always unreliable from the moment you recruit them. As such it doesn't matter when some of them abandon do, since they do it all the time.

Terra

Cipher
I kinda like it, particularly when playing an asshole character. I remember when half my party were thinking of betraying me at the end of NWN2, I got the opportunity to remind them that I would kill them if they betrayed me before the final fight. And I did. There's definitely more that can be done and could be explored with this, like Tactics Ogre had some route exclusive companions, and hell, I like that shit. Growlanser 2 lets you betray your whole party and team up with a old ally to utilise a mind-control device to enforce world peace on a global scale and the rest of your party all turn on you for it, made for a great alternate route.

Not enough games do it or make good enough use of it in terms of branching narrative.

Codex Year of the Donut
if it didn't hurt when they left -- both from a story and gameplay perspective -- then it wouldn't matter
one of the few times it's complete bullshit is in kangmaker though. Randomly turning a character into a fucking book is retarded.

greedfall actually did this really well btw
one of the main companions is your bodyguard who happens to be a sellsword, if you don't do his loyalty quests before advancing the main storyline he'll attempt to assassinate you because someone else pays him more

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And I don't want to mention those situations in which the departing member waves me goodbye, wearing that precious chainmail +5, without me having the means to shoot him (or her) in the head, because that was a loot worth 10.000 gold, for Maker's sake!

I had it the other way once.
A guy from our tabletop D&D group was moving to another city and could not play with us any longer.
Before departuring, he announced that his character leaves us all his gear and money.
It was a wtf moment, like it was a shitty mmo game or something.
So going back to Morrigan, I'd rather have NPCs that act like real people, than real people who act like NPCs.

laclongquan

Arcane
This feature is very annoying Not because of the lost loot.

But because of the wasted time we invested in using them up to then.

I dont want to throw that time out like cheap garbage, for fuck's sake.

In FF7, my second run, THAT flower girl get least time on battle and quest as little as I can manage.

FF8 and FF9 dont have that problem because devs learnt from that mistake. Character may get stopped using for a while but can be used again in future. In particular FF9 has the interesting (but annoying) feature of the new character joining in may share template of the old one. I dont have a problem with that.

BG2 I just dont use Yoshimo even if I have a habit of using thiefs. Thus I cant abuse trap, but that's bearable.

Shandra's loss is a big one because blonde bosom girl doesnt grow on tree, not in NWN2OC. and a warlock doesnt equal to a fighter because I dont use warlock. Very big loss.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shandra's loss is a big one because blonde bosom girl doesnt grow on tree, not in NWN2OC. and a warlock doesnt equal to a fighter because I dont use warlock. Very big loss.
Shoulda rolled barbarian.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you're confusing RPG with wargaming, you should play games like x-com instead.
Shouldn't we all?

I am still angry at Ishar 3 for forcing me to take 2 useless NPC in my party instead of the ones I have leveled for 2 games, only to remove them after their mandatory quest is done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom