Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Parabalus

Arcane
As for Spellforce 3, I unfortunately lost my saves when I upgraded my PC, I didn't realize they were kept in the installation folder

Had the same thing happen to me with the main SF3 :argh:.

Would love to see both some kind of spiritual sequels to W3 and for Spellforce to move away a bit from its RTS aspects since those don't work very well IMO.

DoW2 kinda does this in the campaign, and it's great. Going through Fallen god made me replay DoW2, too bad the series got killed with DoW3.

Last edited:

Silly Germans

The campaign required next to no micro. I found it extremely easy to control with the wheel and the option that the game pauses when you use it. Felt almost like rtwp, you barely need the keyboard like this. The only keys that i used regularly in addition to the wheel hotkey, were Q and E, which i mapped to switching through the skill bar.
I haven't tried multiplayer but i think you only have 1 hero there so the amount of actives is also quite reduced. I haven't taken a look at the unit actives in detail. Are there many and do they matter that much ? I was under the impression that it is mostly a "right-click" game in regard to normal units. It didn't feel close to WC3 or Starcraft1/2 where you can micro and target many skills to decide the outcome of a battle, but my judgement could be rash.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished the campaign of Fallen God as well now.

Honestly, the entire Spellforce 3 series wins so easily in the "best writing" department, it makes the entire rest of the genre look like fan fiction (and that includes the better ones like SC / WC).

I'd say Fallen God was actually my favourite, story & writing-wise and also concerning your heroes, they were very varied and had some obvious thought put into their unique abilities.

What I didn't like was the Troll RTS gameplay.
While I love the idea of a race with way fewer but much stronger units (I suck at microing so that does make things somewhat easier for me), the execution made all of the ideas pretty much for naught.
All other races allow you to hotkey together your military buildings so that you can quickly produce all new troop types to where they need to be.

The trolls, however, have only two basic units (one ground, one air) + titan.
You get all other units by sending the basic ones to specific camps. That gets you the next tier of units. Those units can then be sent again to camps to get the next tier. And some of those can then be sent again for the final tier.
Good idea, sure, but:
All of this has to be done manually. It's a fucking nightmare of microing every little unit to camps (multiple times) until you get the unit you actually want.
It may be possible to set up chains of buildings (so that each one sends their "output" to the next building, etc.) but that would require dozens of buildings and they are pretty damn big.
To make matters worse, when you have a unit grouped, it loses that group when being converted to a different unit. So you can only really group the "final" units. That might be patched at some point, but who knows.

What they should have done is to have those "camps" have buttons that you can click to get a specific unit. When clicked, the next close basic unit within a certain range of the camp automatically starts the "education path" and you end up with the unit you want.
If there is no basic unit nearby, one would be requested from the closest free barracks.
That way, it would still take considerably longer than other races to get stronger units, but all the annoying and unnecessary microing would be gone.

And how do you summon the titan?
You have to micro certain units so that they eat 10 corpses. Once one such unit has eaten 10 corpses, you have to (manually, of course) send it to a shrine where it can be sacrificed for the titan.
That ability to eat corpses has to be done manually, too, and so you can't even quickly select all units with the ability, press Q and be done with it - if you did that, they all would start eating, taking each others corpses away so you'd end up with 10 units that ate 1 corpse each.
Of course you also have to remember to not keep that one sacrificial lamb unit in your main military group or else you might accidentally kill it in battle.
It is mind boggingly annoying, I did it once and never again.

One of their unique resources (scrap) is also pretty half-baked.
The basic idea is to have you look for scrap on the battlefield, but they can also just dig anywhere and get scrap at a lower rate.
So you simply end up with a few more of them in a safe corner where they'll forever produce more than enough scrap so you won't have to put them at risk.

As a side note, can you actually unlock the stronger towers in the campaign? I finished it and only had the most basic towers until the very end.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As a side note, can you actually unlock the stronger towers in the campaign? I finished it and only had the most basic towers until the very end.
I was looking hard for upgrades too, but never found any.

And I agree with the RTS mechanics, I understand what they were going for, but in practice it's not a very elegant solution. Felt messy playing having to send trolls to upgrade. I can say though that they are powerful as hell in multiplayer what I have seen. Non-upgraded trolls.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can say though that they are powerful as hell in multiplayer what I have seen. Non-upgraded trolls.
Oh, yeah, the actual units themselves are pretty good.
Even the most basic troll beats any other basic infantry by quite a margin.

If they were not such a nuisance to micro, they'd probably be my favourite. Even more than the dwarves, which I like due to their much stronger towers.

Vatnik Wumao
If we are talking about building schematics in general, most of them you get from your homebase by appointing workers to clean out the rubble in certain sections of the map and getting to the loot.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If we are talking about building schematics in general, most of them you get from your homebase by appointing workers to clean out the rubble in certain sections of the map and getting to the loot.

Strange, thought I cleared it all and never found better towers :/

exe

Augur

Strange, thought I cleared it all and never found better towers :/

You get the better towers as a reward for finishing one of the early Chieftain's Challenges, the time-limited objective you get in RTS missions.
You also don't need to send the unit to the shrine to get sacrificed, you can do that anywhere on the map if you have the charge full.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
You get the better towers as a reward for finishing one of the early Chieftain's Challenges, the time-limited objective you get in RTS missions.
You also don't need to send the unit to the shrine to get sacrificed, you can do that anywhere on the map if you have the charge full.
No wonder I didn't get the towers, then.
I didn't even know those challenges were a thing until I had already lost one or two of them, the game just sneakily adds these to your mission list :lol:

Avarize

Magister
I'm 30 hours into the vanilla campaign and really enjoying myself. The only problem is that it's slowly becoming apparent all the companions are retarded. Sure they are fairly well written but none of them are likeable. There's also a little too much effort to make them all special and quirky, like the gay dwarf or the autistic "our love needs no labels" wizard. The orc shaman is the only tolerable one and even his philosophical musings get old pretty fast.

I tried to get into this game more than once because the first impression was very strong (I think there are even some positive comments I made earlier into this thread) and I really wanted to love it.
In the end never could do it. I never found it enjoyable to play when it comes to the tactical battles... Which are pretty much the core of the experience here.

vazha

Arcane
The only solution for that is trying to avoid strategy element alltogether whenever possible and with a min-maxed party, it's possible to do that in 8 out 10 cases. This really should have been a Myth-like.

Avarize

Magister
It's pretty easy to build a party strong enough that you don't need an army. My orc companion shoots fireballs that one shot armies.

Sjukob

Arcane
My pc is too shit to play Spellforce 3, may be I'll upgrade it in spring and check it out by then.
Oh well, nevermind. There are no gpus in stores, all of them are sold out and there is a shortage of supply.

The situation is so absurd that some people even smuggle gpus, I'm not kidding, can you believe this shit?!

The only way to upgrade now is to buy a prebuilt pc, which isn't a bad deal for me, considering that every piece of hardware has to be changed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are no gpus in stores, all of them are sold out and there is a shortage of supply.
Yeah, this shit was in the news too. Guess the chipboys are running out of sand for their semiconductors.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are no gpus in stores, all of them are sold out and there is a shortage of supply.
Yeah, this shit was in the news too. Guess the chipboys are running out of sand for their semiconductors.

it's also due to crypto mining craze

I think I read at the current bitcoin rate you can reach BEP on massive GPU investments as soon as 6 months and started making profit

Sjukob

Arcane
LOL You don't need any new powerful RTX GPUs to play SP3 on highest settings. It runs perfectly fine on any mid end machines.
Sure, tell me about it.
whBImzi.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
LOL You don't need any new powerful RTX GPUs to play SP3 on highest settings. It runs perfectly fine on any mid end machines.
Well, "perfectly fine" is a bit of an overstatement. The terrible optimization and performance even on good PCs have been noted before. It drops frames like crazy and it's very noticeable.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Well, "perfectly fine" is a bit of an overstatement. The terrible optimization and performance even on good PCs have been noted before. It drops frames like crazy and it's very noticeable.
Man people were saying that they want an upgrade but cant get their hands on the latest GPUs (RTX 30xx). I only said that you do NOT need an RTX GPU for SF3 but obviously you would still need a RELATIVELY decent PC to enjoy it. I mean the graphics, effects and detail there are still pretty neat.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does any of the Spellforce 3 iteration have good gameplay? Especially in the RTS department ? I always felt the RTS and RPG very disjointed in SF1 and 2.

Citizen

It runs like shit and stutters on my machine, I had to refund it after an hour of tweaking the settings

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom