Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Necromunda: Hired Gun from Streum On Studio

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Orks are definitely one of the more terrifying opponents you can face in the 40K universe as expertly portrayed in Helsreach

lightbane

Arcane
rks are definitely one of the more terrifying opponents you can face in the 40K universe as expertly portrayed in Helsreach
If they have enough numbers and a cunning enough Warboss, sure, for not to mention they keep growing stronger and stronger non-stop. Sadly, while I hoped a fully evolved ork would be something like a titan-sized ork that belches fire, instead the novel writers made up a new thing: The Krok/Beast, that is a super-duper alien evil Primarch and other super-oks with access to super-tech and other crazy things that was supposedly used against the Necrons during the War. They missed the point by making a new thing as their "evolution", for not to mention that thing is OP enough to backhand Necrons with ease.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
rks are definitely one of the more terrifying opponents you can face in the 40K universe as expertly portrayed in Helsreach
If they have enough numbers and a cunning enough Warboss, sure, for not to mention they keep growing stronger and stronger non-stop. Sadly, while I hoped a fully evolved ork would be something like a titan-sized ork that belches fire, instead the novel writers made up a new thing: The Krok/Beast, that is a super-duper alien evil Primarch and other super-oks with access to super-tech and other crazy things that was supposedly used against the Necrons during the War. They missed the point by making a new thing as their "evolution", for not to mention that thing is OP enough to backhand Necrons with ease.

At least the ultimate ork form being able to punch necrons with ease is consistent with the background idea that orks were first made as biological weapon against necrons

lightbane

Arcane
At least the ultimate ork form being able to punch necrons with ease is consistent with the background idea that orks were first made as biological weapon against necrons

True, but regular orks can do that already, but the Beast is stronger than Necrons plenty. That super-ork was meant to be one of many, which makes you think how they still lost the war, when Necrons aren't that tough in comparison, nor have a "super-tech advantage", if the Krorks also have stuff like attack moons, gravity whips and controlled black hole tunnels.
IIRC the Beast also retcons or goes against the original idea of having a "brainer-type" ork which was meant to let the Old Ones control these bioweapons, rather than having a not-Primarch as their foot soldier.

My biggest beef with a lot of shooters with progression (or looter shooters as they're sometimes called) is that they tend to have a sort of level of stat abstraction that leads to the gameplay itself feeling unrealistic. Meaning, you shoot an ordinary human enemy in the head, and it doesn't kill him, because he has too much HP. So you shoot him in the head several times and he finally dies. Huge immersion breaker. Now, EYE was a progression-based shooter, but it managed to avoid that problem. There are some enemies that can survive headshots and are basically walking tanks (such as EYE Masters) - but they're rare, and the fact that surviving huge amounts of damage is very abnormal among enemies in the game makes them stand out and be more impactful when you do encounter them.

Most enemies, be they looters, Federation soldiers, whatever, a headshot from your base gun will kill them. And similarly while a headshot doesn't instantly kill you at most difficulties (though it can if you crank it up) it's mostly justified by you playing as a Culter Dei Master and the various cybernetic enhancements that you have, and even then it's only at later levels. I think that's the way a progression-based shooter should handle things. Have bosses, by all means, but baseline human enemies, or close to baseline, should behave in a believable manner, and not lift the curtain on HP, so to speak.

Now tentatively from what I've seen of the trailer, it seems like Streum On is still taking that approach. Basic gangsters seem to die very quickly, with bullet sponge status reserved for things like (what appeared to be) an ambot, or Ogryns, etc. I hope this is how the actual gameplay will turn out.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

On a related note, Oculus Imperia (IMO the best 40K lore youtuber out there) recently made a video on general Necromunda lore, which explains the history of the planet.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Excuse me the best Warham lore channel is clearly Ar- hahaha sorry even I can't make that joke. I recommend Baldemort for the voice and Aborderprince for the novels.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Faith in the Emperor empowers him, and by the extension the Imperium itself.
Lack of faith empowers the chaos Gods.
SO I DON'T WANNA FUCKING HEAR ANY OF YOU NIGGERS BEING NEGATIVE ABOUT THIS GAME!
YOU'RE GONNA BE POSITIVE AND HYPED ABOUT IT, YOU'RE GONNA ENJOY BEING POSITIVE AND HYPED ABOUT IT, AND YOU'RE GONNA PRE-ORDER IT AT FIRST OPPORTUNITY!
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt. The Emprah protects, cunts.

ADL

Prophet
Really interested in how replayable they intend for this to be. If it's just a linear single player campaign with some basic loot systems, that would be a massive waste of Streum's talent. Say what you will about EYE and Deathwing but they have a pretty hardcore following and great replayability.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Character customization confirmed
Excited. I hope Alienman is as glad as I am that dumb haircut is optional. Or at the very least, you'll have your choice of dumb haircuts.

Why does the product page still only show three Houses though? In a single-player game, don't you want as much enemy variety as possible? They couldn't come up with any high tech Van Saar weapons? No Delaque ambushes? Really now?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
vortex Y'know, if you don't like orks, you don't have to play with orks. You and your friends have 3600 other armies to choose from. I always thought it was dumb that AD&D 1st Ed had stats for 60 different kinds of fucking dinosaurs but I didn't start complaining about dinosaurs every time someone mentioned D&D.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Oh shit, Streum are the devs for this one? This could be good.

It might even have a Squat or two.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That super-ork was meant to be one of many, which makes you think how they still lost the war, when Necrons aren't that tough in comparison, nor have a "super-tech advantage", if the Krorks also have stuff like attack moons, gravity whips and controlled black hole tunnels.
40k lore is pretty silly in general. Necrons have such wonderous tech as dimensional manipulation (put a dying star in your car and sometimes open a hole so you can shoot supernova at your enemies!) or black hole cannons, a 1:1 model of the galaxy with a map=reality equivalence module (meaning if you poke a star in the model, the star goes supernova in real life). Not to mention they have proper ftl engines that don't need the warp, which means they should be able to just fling superrelativistic projectiles to crack any planet that offends them.

But their preferred method of combat is to send robot men into ground combat with little guns. At least the orkz and eldar have the excuse that they have degenerated and fallen, the necrons are still using their super tech.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
That super-ork was meant to be one of many, which makes you think how they still lost the war, when Necrons aren't that tough in comparison, nor have a "super-tech advantage", if the Krorks also have stuff like attack moons, gravity whips and controlled black hole tunnels.
40k lore is pretty silly in general. Necrons have such wonderous tech as dimensional manipulation (put a dying star in your car and sometimes open a hole so you can shoot supernova at your enemies!) or black hole cannons, a 1:1 model of the galaxy with a map=reality equivalence module (meaning if you poke a star in the model, the star goes supernova in real life). Not to mention they have proper ftl engines that don't need the warp, which means they should be able to just fling superrelativistic projectiles to crack any planet that offends them.

But their preferred method of combat is to send robot men into ground combat with little guns. At least the orkz and eldar have the excuse that they have degenerated and fallen, the necrons are still using their super tech.

You ever tried doing something complex right after waking up? They're looking for the espresso module

orcinator

Liturgist
My biggest beef with a lot of shooters with progression (or looter shooters as they're sometimes called) is that they tend to have a sort of level of stat abstraction that leads to the gameplay itself feeling unrealistic. Meaning, you shoot an ordinary human enemy in the head, and it doesn't kill him, because he has too much HP. So you shoot him in the head several times and he finally dies. Huge immersion breaker. Now, EYE was a progression-based shooter, but it managed to avoid that problem. There are some enemies that can survive headshots and are basically walking tanks (such as EYE Masters) - but they're rare, and the fact that surviving huge amounts of damage is very abnormal among enemies in the game makes them stand out and be more impactful when you do encounter them.

Most enemies, be they looters, Federation soldiers, whatever, a headshot from your base gun will kill them. And similarly while a headshot doesn't instantly kill you at most difficulties (though it can if you crank it up) it's mostly justified by you playing as a Culter Dei Master and the various cybernetic enhancements that you have, and even then it's only at later levels. I think that's the way a progression-based shooter should handle things. Have bosses, by all means, but baseline human enemies, or close to baseline, should behave in a believable manner, and not lift the curtain on HP, so to speak.

Now tentatively from what I've seen of the trailer, it seems like Streum On is still taking that approach. Basic gangsters seem to die very quickly, with bullet sponge status reserved for things like (what appeared to be) an ambot, or Ogryns, etc. I hope this is how the actual gameplay will turn out.

EYE was an FPS with rpg elements and not a looty shooty, frankly I don't even remember if your stats affected your weapon damage; EYE's problem stemmed from most of the enemies being reskinned Combinemen whose AI doesn't work particularly well when you toss them into large empty levels. (thought it would be a much worse games if the combinemen that are mostly immune to the minigun you get at the start of the game were more common).

The trailers shown so far don't show enough of the gameplay for me to be able to tell how many cancermechanics the devs managed to cram in. Edit: No damage numbers but that critical hit popup is pretty worrying

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
a 1:1 model of the galaxy with a map=reality equivalence module (meaning if you poke a star in the model, the star goes supernova in real life). Not to mention they have proper ftl engines that don't need the warp, which means they should be able to just fling superrelativistic projectiles to crack any planet that offends them.
The star-destroying map has the issue of causing unintended collateral damage so they don't use it much. The FTL engines were lost during the conversion to Newcrons, they changed Inertialess engines for opening a path into the Webway or some shit IIRC.

They're suffering from a poorly-made mind upload after millennia of no maintenance, so they're quite mad and not thinking straight, for not to mention their internal wars. Or that they somewhat value honor.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The FTL engines were lost during the conversion to Newcrons, they changed Inertialess engines for opening a path into the Webway or some shit IIRC.
Lame. How did such weaklings ever defeat the combined forces of the old ones, orkz and eldar?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
a 1:1 model of the galaxy with a map=reality equivalence module (meaning if you poke a star in the model, the star goes supernova in real life). Not to mention they have proper ftl engines that don't need the warp, which means they should be able to just fling superrelativistic projectiles to crack any planet that offends them.
The star-destroying map has the issue of causing unintended collateral damage so they don't use it much. The FTL engines were lost during the conversion to Newcrons, they changed Inertialess engines for opening a path into the Webway or some shit IIRC.

From what I remember, the inertial-less drives are great, but they're short-ranged, as they aren't fast enough to allow galaxy wide travel. And they have a way to open gates (dolmen gates, I think) to the webway, but it doesn't work as well as for the Eldars

baud

Arcane
Patron
They showed a few more weapons.

But looking at this:

upload_2021-4-17_0-58-16.png

upload_2021-4-17_0-58-39.png

It seems we're getting another looter-shooter

Last edited by a moderator:

Lhynn

Arcane
Its kind of annoying that the ammo packs are bigger than the enemy that drops them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom