Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
6 directions, nice, looks great.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Digging through downloaded assets.
IJTSa8q.png
8Iz17mx.png

PrettyDeadman

Without textures DG looks like an Ealy Access game.
Someone had to say it.

Mustawd

Without textures DG looks like an Ealy Access game.
Someone had to say it.

It’s based off an old 90s game with a similar aesthetic. That’s why it looks like it does.

Karmen or something was what the game was called.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I thought you are giving textures to the new DG game for a moment.
I ran a few tests last year, and while I think I've found the right method to combine the raster and vector graphics (i.e. textures and lines) in a way that won't break the style, I don't think it's worth pursuing at this point.
With a bigger budget and more people on the team -- sure, that would make sense. Until then, it would only slow things down without gaining enough to justify this decision.

That’s why it looks like it does.
It mostly looks the way it does because it's a recognizable aesthetic and it allows me to handle the graphics on my own without terrible results.
And yes, Carmine served as an initial inspiration for DGS.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Slow progress today with a rudimentary combat system and enemy AI. I need to implement evasion, targeting system and missile weapons tomorrow (Day 3), and then hopefully finish the UI and the dungeon itself on Day 4.
Then I can spend the rest of the allocated time playtesting, adding interactivity/puzzles and new enemy types.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Slow progress today with a rudimentary combat system and enemy AI. I need to implement evasion, targeting system and missile weapons tomorrow (Day 3), and then hopefully finish the UI and the dungeon itself on Day 4.
Then I can spend the rest of the allocated time playtesting, adding interactivity/puzzles and new enemy types.

Loving the ambient music in the background.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Trying this YouTube thing, the playthrough is not exhaustive but it goes up to the end of the game so spoilers included obviously.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last week i had no Internet, which means i played a bunch of DRM-free games because without DRM having Internet or not doesn't matter - as it should be.

But also i wrote a bit of code for Little Immersive Engine, mainly some scene rendering optimizations and better camera movement:

(that 130sqm in the thumbnail is wrong, it is 16900sqm - ie. 130x130, i obviously do not know how to meter squares)

(also i found out how to use a video editor - specifically, Shotcut)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Released EFCC: Escape From Cosmic Cube as part of the Dungeon Crawler Jam 2021.

Had to cut a lot of corners because I've lost 2 days due to RL stuff, but the end result is still enjoyable, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, download it here and don't forget to bitch.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I just noticed that while the ending has a different scene, I forgot to update the code after creating it, so you're sent to the credits scene with the grey ship after completing the game. Oh well. :argh:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey everyone, I just uploaded my entire game's soundtrack onto YouTube. You can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaBBt-H9_mmVTCaSroURhioTCqhLeQLsv

I spent a stupidly long time rendering that stupid sound frequency bar for every track, so please, somebody at least look at it. :)

Anyone have any info on how well stuff like this improved their game's visibility? I'll let you know in a few days if I see any change.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Added nav markers to EFCC with additional bells and whistles like the ability to see them through walls and getting a short path that shows 5 steps towards each nav marker to help you get out of the most confusing parts of the dungeon.

Will release an update once the voting period is over.

j5QCENQ.png

bionicman

Liturgist
Hey everyone, I just uploaded my entire game's soundtrack onto YouTube. You can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaBBt-H9_mmVTCaSroURhioTCqhLeQLsv

I spent a stupidly long time rendering that stupid sound frequency bar for every track, so please, somebody at least look at it. :)

Anyone have any info on how well stuff like this improved their game's visibility? I'll let you know in a few days if I see any change.

I think the sound frequency bar looks nice, but from what I can see you haven't posted one big video with the whole soundtrack. This is how I prefer personally to listen to soundtracks of games.

Also, I could be wrong, but longer videos on yt get better visibility on youtube (get recommended more often than short videos cause it keeps people longer on the site).

I don't have experience with posting the soundtrack and getting more visibility on my games (I've never released a commercial game anyways), but I sometimes see comments on youtube of people saying how they first came across a soundtrack and liked it so much they decided to play the game, though I guess you need an exceptional soundtrack for this to happen. An example of a dev that posts the whole soundtracks of their games is Supergiant games
And it works for them I guess, so it could work for you too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom