Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

lightbane

Arcane
Will there be an "assault the capitol in the post-apocalypse" map?

Riskbreaker

Man, I do love how the maps genuinely look as if they come from a 90s FPS. Geometry and level of detail are just right, basically like a late Build engine release (think Redneck Rampage Rides Again), only with a somewhat larger scale.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
I watched a longplay of that one. Only for Doom fanatics. Minimal changes (the plasma gun has a slightly retouched sprite and new sounds), there's at least one new enemy (a Lost Soul that shoots you like a chaingunner, lol), and a new final boss (a variant of Icon of Sin). The worst part is that the ending connects it with nu-Doom and the whole Doom Slayer non-sense.

Wait are people playing Doom wads looking for changes? All I want is dope levels.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
And some more screenshots for people who are waiting for Ashes 2063 Afterglow

Screenshot_Doom_20210127_011722.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210127_011711.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210127_012155.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, That castlevania mod is nice but what I really wonder is if this mod has been fine-tuned to perfect brutality with no glitching.

Yes.. BRUTAL NOAH's ARK EXTREME.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Surely, a talented artist could draw NEW ones. Wisdom Tree would be proud.

Then new games like Brutal Moses (heretic mod), Brutal Jesus... Brutal Job (Vengeance never tasted so sweet). Job finally cracks.

Wisdom tree turns to Demon Seed Productions.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I mean you could but I could get it playable much quicker and would not want to put more time than that into it.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Two interesting projects I came across:

Beyond Sunset
OXz7BpO.png

UkzSB11.png

NFFUp2k.png

I'm making a cyberpunk mini-TC inspired by the novel Snow Crash. I'll put more in this thread when I have more to show. Video arriving soon.

Planned Features:
  • 4 unique original weapons
  • 4 maps
  • 5 new enemies
  • 3 original music tracks

Link:
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71504

He Came From Beyond

He Came From Beyond is a WIP total conversion inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, taking place within a madman's diary. It's a slow-paced adventure game with a strong focus on exploration, object and NPC interaction, and puzzles, with elements of combat. Set in Alaska in the 1920s, it tells a story of a discovery beyond human comprehension.

Made for GZDoom, with every asset custom-made, from textures 100% hand-drawn on post-its and scanned, to fonts, to sound fx, to music.

Links:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/118898-he-came-from-beyond/
https://www.moddb.com/mods/he-came-from-beyond

Riskbreaker

fork

I have about half a dozen unfinished Doom 2 maps. It would probably take me about half a year to finish them and let's say about a dozen others for which I've made some notes, so that would be half a campaign. I could post some screenshots in a couple of weeks to generate some hype. Style would be somewhere between original Doom 2 maps and inspired by Sunder (and some other community wads of course), but somewhat lesser quality (and a bit less slaughter style) than Sunder of course:

If there would be any interest for something like that here on the Dex, that would be a huge motivation. I don't care about other places (I don't care much about anything :/), so let me know by rating or responding to this post in some way. It might push me enough, or it may not. Doing it just for myself didn't do it so far, so I'm trying this. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dayyālu

Arcane
If there would be any interest for something like that here on the Dex, that would be a huge motivation.

You finish them, I'll play and review them.

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto

It may or may not involve terrible weeb and weapon mods tho

I'd suggest to get in the usual places tho, they're not that bad. Maybe Doomworld is a bit.... fruity, but they're mostly good people. Mostly.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've been dicking around a lot with Doom, for the first time in many many years. Downloaded and played a few maps, started a few megawads but didn't save and kept thinking "I'll do a proper playthrough later", but the net result is the revival of that Doom itch.

One of the things that I only realized more recently is that the console versions of Doom really are their own thing; I'd always assumed they were just inferior ports, even though many people had told me Doom 64 especially was a very different beast. In any case this made me want to look into a PC conversion of the console-exclusive levels of Playstation Doom. I came across The Lost Episode but while it was interesting in some ways, it's really "vaguely inspired by" rather than a port of the console levels. The architecture and visuals can be quite unique and trippy, but the difficulty is all over the place and sometimes more obnoxious than challenging. It's also pretty ridiculous that PS Doom took Spawning Vats and cut down large chunks of it, then TLE took this cutdown version and reexpanded it into something that is similar to but not quite like the original.

So I kept looking and I found GEC Master Edition, a not-quite-TC (it converts original console WADs, rather than recreate them) that converts all of Doom 64, and Doom and Final Doom for PS to a modified GZDoom to allow all the special rendering and physics of the console to work. Maybe not so useful for Doom 64 since EX exists, and initially I didn't particularly feel like playing through the entire 90 PS levels just to check out a few unique levels. Then I came across ConDoom, which tries to integrate the console levels into their logical place in the progression of the PC Doom and Doom II. I thought that was a really cool idea and was exactly what I was looking for, but the levels don't seem to have been adapted very well, and are missing their original unique textures, monsters, and special effects, including complete lack of scripting (which both PS Doom and ZDoom support, but not the original obviously). Since the GEC WADs for these levels do include these specials, I tinkered with them a bit to see if I could replace the ConDoom version of them with the GEC ones. I think it's possible, but not as easy (for me at least) as I had hoped. I said fuck it and decided to play GEC PS Doom instead.

I must say I was surprised by how different, and how good, PS Doom actually was. The port has to deal with some severe limitations with geometry and with how many textures and sprites can be stored at once (and therefore available to use in a single level). Many levels are just completely gone. To compensate for this, the simplified levels really try to do their best with lighting to make everything better looking than it really is, and to my surprise it actually works. The music is fantastic, instead of Bobby's metal/ambient sometimes-pastiche, it's all dark ambient. The lighting, the colours (the palette is VERY different from PC Doom), the music, very different sounds, the new enemies, changes in the placement of old ones (including Doom II's pain elementals in Map01 out of almost 60!), it all creates an atmosphere that I guess is much closer to Doom 64's but that completely different from PC Doom's, even when playing familiar levels. Turning all 4 Doom episodes, plus Doom II, into a single continuous mega-episode does strange things to the progression, but then that's already thrown completely out the window with late-Doom II enemies appearing in E1 levels. In any case, I liked enough of what I saw to decide to play through both Playstation ports as if they were their own games. It helps that it's been a long time since I last played original IWADs, so I really can't tell what's new, what's changed and what's the same but I'm not remembering it. Which is a good thing. It would be nice to have a more faithful ConDoom, and I might try and get it working myself, but this GEC Edition is quite worth it too.

I have about half a dozen unfinished Doom 2 maps. It would probably take me about half a year to finish them and let's say about a dozen others for which I've made some notes, so that would be half a campaign. I could post some screenshots in a couple of weeks to generate some hype. Style would be somewhere between original Doom 2 maps and inspired by Sunder (and some other community wads of course), but somewhat lesser quality (and a bit less slaughter style) than Sunder of course:
My advice if you have something partially made, and are trying to motivate yourself, is to post stuff. Put up screenshots. Even, put up whatever incomplete pieces you already have, and let people see/play them. You'll get some "this looks cool!", the obligatory "lol u sux", but you might also get specific constructive criticism, and that more than anything might push you to want to get it out in finished form.

As something of a compulsive tinkerer when it comes to WADs, I can say I'd definitely load up and have a look at whatever gets released.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Chapter 3 for Blade of Agony is coming
trailer_still.jpg

• Orchestra-quality game music
  • Voice acting and ambient soundscapesModern post-processing shaders (motion & effect blur, noise, flares, etc.
  • Modern post-processing shaders (motion & effect blur, noise, flares, etc.)
:killit:

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'll brofist, but BoA is.... the ultimate example of Modders gonna mod.

It's impressive, a work of love, shitton of stuff, detail an' crap....

And no one checked that your impressive maps chock full of hitscan long-range enemies aren't a chore to play, or HP bloat galore. The basic gameplay loop of BoA is tedius, I even resorted to cheats to pass the Space levels in Episode 2, they're an unholy chore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom