Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Quillon

Arcane
when did dragon age become victorian gothic or whatever that is

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
V26c1gg.png
QUNH5P7.png

If I saw someone with this experience on their resume I'd put it in the trash.
That resume... that resume! Holy shit, I've never seen such a garbage one. Again, this has to be the reason games have been getting worse and worse. The talent is just not increasing alongside the technology. Seriously, I'm not sure how a publicly traded company allows this stuff to happen.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I'm convinced Dragon Age Inquisition will look like a masterpiece after Dragon Age 4

The next Dragon Age first entered development in 2015. But in the fall of 2017, EA and BioWare rebooted the game to push for long-term monetization. The change led to the departure of creative director Mike Laidlaw and caused some employees to dismiss the game as “Anthem with dragons.” EA announced the new Dragon Age in 2018 but has not shared many details since then. Behind the scenes, the game has been in flux, game website Kotaku has reported.

Who even are these people?

3N6imj9.png

Ob3KGwy.png

V26c1gg.png
XdUCbzW.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm convinced Dragon Age Inquisition will look like a masterpiece after Dragon Age 4

The next Dragon Age first entered development in 2015. But in the fall of 2017, EA and BioWare rebooted the game to push for long-term monetization. The change led to the departure of creative director Mike Laidlaw and caused some employees to dismiss the game as “Anthem with dragons.” EA announced the new Dragon Age in 2018 but has not shared many details since then. Behind the scenes, the game has been in flux, game website Kotaku has reported.

Who even are these people?

3N6imj9.png

Ob3KGwy.png

V26c1gg.png
XdUCbzW.jpg
I read the name and laughed it off as a joke.....then i checked.....it was not.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
My wishlist for DA4 would be better mage duels (and to have a stand with Solas), better exploration and weapon upgrades, early specialization (Inquisition had too late) and more passive upgrade points, less loading in and out of big areas, balanced combat (toward the end you can breeze through most fights, early you had to grind hard), moar dragons.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
My wishlist for DA4 would be better mage duels (and to have a stand with Solas), better exploration and weapon upgrades, early specialization (Inquisition had too late) and more passive upgrade points, less loading in and out of big areas, balanced combat (toward the end you can breeze through most fights, early you had to grind hard), moar dragons.

What inquisition really needed was a living world. You always felt like you were exploring a post apocalyptic world where humanity and all other races had died off and lived only in very small pockets, all the maps were empty, very few npc's beyond those you fought, very few interesting quests. Compared to the witcher 3 it felt like a amateur hour game design.

I still enjoyed it but it felt like a huge missed oportunity.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

If its the same:
RPG Codex said:
REEEE WHY IS THIS THE SAME GENERIC SHIT

If they make it different:
RPG Codex said:
REEEE WHY ARE THEY CHANGING IT

Also, those Bioware developer interviews are hilarious, all the phenotypes on display made for good fun during the Witcher vs Dragon Age threads on the 4chins.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
What inquisition really needed was a living world. You always felt like you were exploring a post apocalyptic world where humanity and all other races had died off and lived only in very small pockets, all the maps were empty, very few npc's beyond those you fought, very few interesting quests. Compared to the witcher 3 it felt like a amateur hour game design.

I still enjoyed it but it felt like a huge missed oportunity.

You can argue this was due to Bioware's engine limitations. Here's what dev said about it.
But then chapter two comes along, and we switched to an engine called Frostbite. And Frostbite is an EA internal engine; very powerful, fast, beautiful, purpose built to do some really cool stuff. But it’s also extremely delicate and needs a huge crew.

It was getting harder and harder to make the content that people wanted. It was harder and harder to move that content through these pipelines and do things. And even though we had more people — we had more teams, more folks — we were slowing down the rate at which we could build and craft these experiences.
https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/19/...ance-and-limitations-of-the-frostbite-engine/

Codex Year of the Donut
At this point I'm convinced that bioware employees are required to praise frostbite anytime they discuss it. A lot of bioware's failures can be attributed to being forced to use frostbite.
andromeda excepted, one of the few good parts of the game is due to it using frostbite because it actually has pretty fun combat

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just remembered that I know a girl who had to return DA:I because it was too hard even on the lowest difficulty setting.

I guess their only choice moving forward is to casualize the franchise even more in order to appeal to a broader audience.

Codex Year of the Donut
I just remembered that I know a girl who had to return DA:I because it was too hard even on the lowest difficulty setting.

I guess their only choice moving forward is to casualize the franchise even more in order to appeal to a broader audience.
larian gets around this by having a multiplayer campaign
women suck at rpgs but nearly all women have a guy who will play with them

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

If its the same:
RPG Codex said:

RPG Codex said:

Well, I would think it is better to start a new franchise, rather than mutate an existing one into something it was not.

They tried that with Anthem, and I am sure that if that game were called Mass Effect: Combat Evolved or something like that, it would've performed better.
So while your advice may be good in another context, right now it will fall on deaf ears. They want a safe game, some comfort food to fight the depression. The staff, and their fans, and their execs too, all want a safe play.

Codex Year of the Donut

If its the same:
RPG Codex said:

RPG Codex said:

Well, I would think it is better to start a new franchise, rather than mutate an existing one into something it was not.

They tried that with Anthem, and I am sure that if that game were called Mass Effect: Combat Evolved or something like that, it would've performed better.
So while your advice may be good in another context, right now it will fall on deaf ears. They want a safe game, some comfort food to fight the depression. The staff, and their fans, and their execs too, all want a safe play.
wow yeah they should make another mass effect game maybe set in a separate galaxy
like mass effect triangulum set in the triangulum galaxy, it will sell tons of copies and be a great success

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

If its the same:
RPG Codex said:

RPG Codex said:

wow yeah they should make another mass effect game maybe set in a separate galaxy
like mass effect triangulum set in the triangulum galaxy, it will sell tons of copies and be a great success

Attaching a familiar brand to a product increases sales. If you disagree, you are wrong. If you don't think you are wrong, you are wrongererest.
If Anthem was called Iron Man: Third Millennium and had a few choice voice actors and Marvel cameos, it would've sold double what it did. Them's the facts.

Codex Year of the Donut

If its the same:
RPG Codex said:

RPG Codex said:

Attaching a familiar brand to a product increases sales. If you disagree, you are wrong. If you don't think you are wrong, you are wrongererest.
If Anthem was called Iron Man: Third Millennium and had a few choice voice actors and Marvel cameos, it would've sold double what it did. Them's the facts.
you mean like the recent marvel game that was a complete flop?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

If its the same:
RPG Codex said:

RPG Codex said:

You mean that game which would've objectively sold less if it wasn't a Marvel game?

Codex Year of the Donut

If its the same:
RPG Codex said:

RPG Codex said:

You mean that game which would've objectively sold less if it wasn't a Marvel game?
I personally avoided it because it's marvel garbage

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

If its the same:
RPG Codex said:

RPG Codex said:

Statistics > anecdotes, my dude.

Codex Year of the Donut

If its the same:
RPG Codex said:

RPG Codex said:

Statistics > anecdotes, my dude.
and yet it was a flop
midwitmeme.png

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
and yet it was a flop
And it would've been a bigger flop without the brand behind it, fag. You know this to be true, you are just pretending otherwise, so that this can be a joke haha and not you being wrong. Can't be retarded if I was pretending all along hurr durrr.
Retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom