Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
You are really a Larian fanboy?
As I've said in one of my first posts on Codex, I love Larian and BG3, but just as with all things I love, I don't do it blindly. There are clearly things to critique, and there's clear room for improvement. Those improvements aren't some impossible things that are ridiculous to ask for, but very simple mechanics that Tactical Adventures clearly managed with much humbler budget.
Even if they aren't implemented, however, BG3 is promising to be a great game* - that might dethrone Alpha Protocol as my favourite RPG of all time.

* - once Larian releaeses the definitive edition in which they fix a number of inevitable fuck-ups, until then - just a very good game

hell bovine

Arcane
Gith isn't nearly as repulsive as I thought she'd be - they've bridged the uncanny valley with a nice rack ("hidden" behind a shiny breastplate for the wokel censors) - although of course she's the girlboss.
Zoomerphags would be lost without their Matriarchy (giving them an AOC to hold their hand will sell a million copies. Swen's a marketing genius)
But it's not oppressive. She's scared shitless more than stronk womon.
Well, it is difficult to tell with githyanki faces, bu Lae'zel is actually quite young. Congrats, you are babysitting the angry evil version of Aerie.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gith isn't nearly as repulsive as I thought she'd be - they've bridged the uncanny valley with a nice rack ("hidden" behind a shiny breastplate for the wokel censors) - although of course she's the girlboss.
Zoomerphags would be lost without their Matriarchy (giving them an AOC to hold their hand will sell a million copies. Swen's a marketing genius)
But it's not oppressive. She's scared shitless more than stronk womon.

Game hung on loading screen after activating transponder. We'll see if I've got a working autosave tonight. If there were any interesting puzzles or interactions I failed to find them despite full exploration. Feels kind of like original ESO that way, although much better looking and better cinematics.

EDIT: I guess finding baby Morte with his brain still in counts as an interesting interaction.
Only now I realize how similar Lae'zel and AOC look:

7t4bhHk.png

LJ40

Cipher
I don't think he is a fanboy. If he was. He'd be doing a better job of selling us on Baldur's Gate 3.
The thing is, even as a shill, there's literally no reason to try to sell it to you anymore.

People on this website who give a shit have either already purchased it, or have sworn off ever touching it (Hell, I'm sure some shitheads did both).

Anyone claiming to be on the fence is either the extremely rare true newfag or a fucking liar.

Was armor system worse before the definitive edition? I didn't have a single problem with it, but I didn't play the original.
Oh no, not this again.

Let me briefly summarize the discussion which will inevitably ensue from your question:

A: "The armor system is dumb because the optimal strategy is to have a full-magic or full-physical party."

B: "That's not true, a balanced party allows you to deal with different threats faster."

A: "That's not true, the armor system is dumb because the optimal strategy is to have a full-magic or full-physical party."

B: "That's not true, a balanced party allows you to deal with different threats faster."

A: "That's not true, you're a dumb-dumb."

B: "That's not true, YOU are a dumb-dumb."

Here, no need to thank me. If you want to relive an actual discussion, this one covers almost all the fundamentals.
That's a bad summary because it omits a fundamental part of the argument.
Regardless of which side is right here (spoiler: it's totally A and if you claim otherwise you are arguably a retarded in denial, it doesn't really matter if a balanced party can still work to some degree) it doesn't change that the armor system is unquestionably a mandatory HP sponge/damage threshold between the player and any alternative non damage-based strategy.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Why name yourself such a title. It betrays confidence.
Because I came to Codex specifically because I wanted to discuss this game, everything else is secondary. BG3 is very much my perfect game, both a turn-based adaptation of the good version of DnD, and a Larian game (a fan of which I was since Dragon Commander). As for confidence, I have absolute confidence. Larian didn't sell their soul like Bioware, and don't make disappointments like Obsidian. Their production values are high, DLCs are free, and their games offer a lot of choices and consequences, the reason I play RPGs. Any of their fuck-ups will be just blemishes on the otherwise good product.
I just wish those blemishes were as few as possible.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Regardless of which side is right here (spoiler: it's totally A and if you claim otherwise you are arguably a retarded in denial, it doesn't really matter if a balanced party can still work to some degree) it doesn't change that the armor system is unquestionably a mandatory HP sponge/damage threshold between the player and any alternative non damage-based strategy.

There is no non damage-based strategy (I mean there sort of is but those also bypass the armor that has you so wound up). You're optimizing on like four dimensions when there are at least ten in play. As usual. You're not alone in that so nothing to be ashamed of.

Desiderius

Patron
I don't think he is a fanboy. If he was. He'd be doing a better job of selling us on Baldur's Gate 3.
The thing is, even as a shill, there's literally no reason to try to sell it to you anymore.

People on this website who give a shit have either already purchased it, or have sworn off ever touching it (Hell, I'm sure some shitheads did both).

Anyone claiming to be on the fence is either the extremely rare true newfag or a fucking liar.

I'm on the fence, which is why I bought it.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm on the fence too, now that I think about it. Mainly because monk isn't in, yet. So few games with monk. Have to cherish what few games feature best class.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tell your stupid dark god of evil to expedite my download process. It took me all day to download Knights of the Chalice 2 from Pierre's servers. This is going to take even longer.

Desiderius

Patron
I had to clear space lol. Only took about an hour I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom