Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SoupNazi

Why name yourself such a title. It betrays confidence.
Because I came to Codex specifically because I wanted to discuss this game, everything else is secondary. BG3 is very much my perfect game, both a turn-based adaptation of the good version of DnD, and a Larian game (a fan of which I was since Dragon Commander). As for confidence, I have absolute confidence. Larian didn't sell their soul like Bioware, and don't make disappointments like Obsidian. Their production values are high, DLCs are free, and their games offer a lot of choices and consequences, the reason I play RPGs. Any of their fuck-ups will be just blemishes on the otherwise good product.
I just wish those blemishes were as few as possible.
Marry me?

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Wait. There's a mod that lets me play monk?! Mother of God, have mercy. Well, looks like I'll be joining Desiderius!

Just a heads up - that mod page says "updated for Patch 3" - the game is currently on Patch 4 so there's a chance it might not work right now. I'm sure the mod will be updated eventually.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I really wanna to see what Pink eye has to say about monks on BG3(with mod of course). I only played BG3 once as a WLK and it only confirmed my opinion that non evocation spells on 5e are worthless. I personally don't like monks, they are too lawful for my taste, but I get why someone would like that class fantasy.

BTW, I really wanted a Mystara adaptation to a CRPG. Sadly 5e is extremely focused only on sword coast...

Tell your stupid dark god of evil to expedite my download process. It took me all day to download Knights of the Chalice 2 from Pierre's servers. This is going to take even longer.

At least you could play Kotc2 and wotr. I wanna play this both games so hard.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'd prefer ninja , i have fond memories of this :
Wayofthetiger_book1.jpg

Now thats some kind of martial artist i like . 5e monk does not convince me not in efficiency nor in flavor.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow. That took considerable effort in getting to work. When I installed the mod, I got black screen, which prevented me from starting new game. Then I installed it again. Only for it to *magically* work that time. Feels bad putting my Ravenloft: Stone Prophet and Chalice 2 Iron Mans on the backburner to play this. Oh well. Had fun creating Monk Woman here at the very least.
HwEsjWl.png

Now to see if the mod *actually* works. It's one thing for it to show up in character creation, it's another for it to play. Here's hoping 5e monk is fun - all I'm hoping for in this. Fun.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I really wanna to see what Pink eye has to say about monks on BG3(with mod of course). I only played BG3 once as a WLK and it only confirmed my opinion that non evocation spells on 5e are worthless. I personally don't like monks, they are too lawful for my taste, but I get why someone would like that class fantasy.

BTW, I really wanted a Mystara adaptation to a CRPG. Sadly 5e is extremely focused only on sword coast...

Tell your stupid dark god of evil to expedite my download process. It took me all day to download Knights of the Chalice 2 from Pierre's servers. This is going to take even longer.

At least you could play Kotc2 and wotr. I wanna play this both games so hard.
Nah, don't sweat it. Chalice 2 will come when it comes. Besides, if you really want to play it. Email Pierre. Had a couple of friends get to play the game by doing so. He usually responds in two business days or so. At least, that's how long it takes for him to respond to me whenever I send him feedback. Anyways, here's his email, if you want to try: enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Modding a game in early access is a little ambitious. Even the devs are having difficulty making that work.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Wait. There's a mod that lets me play monk?! Mother of God, have mercy. Well, looks like I'll be joining Desiderius!
Most of the classes in the PHB are already supported within the game files, they are just not enabled on the player's side. The mods just enable stuff that isn't currently enabled and then add the 1 or 2 features which are missing. As far as I understand it, the reason why Larian doesn't have those classes implemented already isn't because they can't do them, or even because they aren't easy to do (they have said they could easily be added), but because they want to focus the feedback their analytic tools provide to specific things and so from that perspective, it makes sense to disable features that you don't want feedback on yet to encourage people to use the features that you do want feedback on.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Well. I had fun. Got some nice screenshots out of it. Some general thoughts, before I forget. I don't know what it is, but so far. Neither this or Pathfinder have ready vs. Dark Sun had it - in that rendition it was guard - and so does Chalice. It's basically like overwatch. You perform an Attack of Opportunity against approaching enemies. In Chalice there's another option called ready vs spell. If you have ranged weapon and enemy is performing a spell far away from you. You can shoot an arrow at them. Thus forcing them to make a concentration roll - fail and they lose spell. Super useful. I also couldn't see if my monk had grapple. Couldn't see the other Combat Maneuvers either. Like Bull Rush, Pull, and Slide. Maybe it's in that mess of a Interface. In any case, Grapple is super important. In Chalice 1 you can use grapple to effectively shut down spellcasters. In Chalice 2 you had to use grapple + pin to prevent enemy spellcasters from casting. It could also be used to make enemies easy to hit. Love grapple.

Keybindings and hotkeys aren't as good as Chalice, or Dark Sun for that matter. Knights of the Chalice has a *very* fluid hotkey system. The less I have to use my dumb mouse the better.

Monk is pretty fun. I'm a sucker for it. Didn't like that monk started off with a weapon though. Couldn't find a way to take that dumb quarterstaff off. Ah well. Some pictures of Monk Woman:
Here she is enjoying the vista!
51pW0R6.png
Monk Woman on chair!
6DMnTgm.png
Monk Woman's face meets dirt!
Qo99MHf.png

Will continue playing later, but I feel really ill at the moment. Need a break.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Anyone claiming to be on the fence is either the extremely rare true newfag or a fucking liar."

Or they are waiting for the game to be released. :rollseyes:

Ruchy

Scholar
Most of the classes in the PHB are already supported within the game files, they are just not enabled on the player's side. The mods just enable stuff that isn't currently enabled and then add the 1 or 2 features which are missing. As far as I understand it, the reason why Larian doesn't have those classes implemented already isn't because they can't do them, or even because they aren't easy to do (they have said they could easily be added), but because they want to focus the feedback their analytic tools provide to specific things and so from that perspective, it makes sense to disable features that you don't want feedback on yet to encourage people to use the features that you do want feedback on.

I also think because of the large amount of reactivity to your PC's class they possibly have not completed the various dialogue and other options specific classes get. The druid just added for instance adds many options throughout particularly as you are mainly dealing with druids.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
What’s the difference between Vulcan and DX11? I’ve got a seven year old NVidia card.

Laggy as hell here in Fort Joy.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If you have that old of an Nvidia card you are probably better off with DX11. Vulcan usually performs better on AMD cards than Nvidia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom