Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Eye of the Beholder III.

Had to go through six year of serious therapy on a strict RTS diet.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
It was Bard's Tale for ZX Spectrum, because I didn't own a PC until I was 15 or so. When I finally got a 086 I could play Wizardries, Gold Box and other legendary stuff.

However I had been playing PnP RPGs already, and on the ZX Spectrum text adventures.

I am RPG houris, my RPG virginity returns to me everynight.

My first RPG was a shitty Russian Diablo clone called Konung. It had nice graphics, nice music and a Slavic/Byzantine setting was fun, but it was just a bad hack and slash.
38498531.jpg

DaveO

Erudite
I mentioned Ballblazer on my reply, but that was incorrect. My sister and I played Trailblazer on the Atari 800.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The arcade version of Golden Axe.

I know it's not a RPG but that's the game that made me want to whack virtual lizard-men with two-handed axes.
I'm searching for a cure since then...

Blitzkrieg

Novice
My dad bought me an original Xbox with kotor and halo one day. It really changed my gaming life lol. I went from a ps2 loser to an xbox then eventual PC king. I had never played a game like kotor it was so mind blowing at the time. It had stats, gear, abilities and dialogue choices. After playing the shit out of it and kotor 2 (which is far superior) I started playing all the old RPGs I had never heard of.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
My dad bought me an original Xbox with kotor and halo one day. It really changed my gaming life lol. I went from a ps2 loser to an xbox then eventual PC king. I had never played a game like kotor it was so mind blowing at the time. It had stats, gear, abilities and dialogue choices. After playing the shit out of it and kotor 2 (which is far superior) I started playing all the old RPGs I had never heard of.

Your dad must have really hated you.

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
Stonekeep. I liked it well enough, but I didn't really become hooked until the next one I got my hands on, Might and Magic 6. Must have played it for like 500 hours. Then I got my hands on Lands of Lore 1 and Betrayal at Krondor, both almost considered retro even in 1998 or so, and absolutely loved both. I wasn't very impressed with Baldur's Gate 1 that got released just as I was done with those two, maybe because it was so hyped my expectations got unrealistic.

After that I became a total slut and fucked any RPG that batted its eyelashes at me.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
It was the year 1990 and I, as a 12 year boy, traveled 800km alone by the train to my brother's college. I wasn't afraid of that at all. It was an adventure. But he presented me this game Eye of the Beholder and insisted I play it. This, I was really scared of. I hade nightmares. really. Because these little buggers kept jumping into the screen without a warning, how evil they looked, how ominious the red color theme was... Everything was very atmospheric back then. Much later it became one of my dearest reruns - EOB1-2, played 6x :D

Eye-of-the-Beholder.png

Last edited:

Ladonna

Arcane
The first CRPG I enjoyed and kept playing was Ultima IV on C64. The first one I tried was Bards tale, but it bored me to death after 10 minutes or so.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It was the year 1990 and I, as a 12 year boy, traveled 800km alone by the train to my brother's college. I wasn't afraid of that at all. It was an adventure. But he presented me this game Eye of the Beholder and insisted I play it. This, I was really scared of. I hade nightmares. really. Because these little buggers kept jumping into the screen without a warning, how evil they looked, how ominious the red color theme was... Everything was very atmospheric back then. Much later it became one of my dearest reruns - EOB1-2, played 6x :D

Eye-of-the-Beholder.png
Have you tried EOB3? I think it is ok. EOB2 was my love, I didn't see the first game until later. Also what do you think of Lands of Lore?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom