Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.5%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.3%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Arulan

Cipher
mm0006plk5a.png

I haven't played Might & Magic: Book One in very long time. The early game in Sorpigal can be a little rough. I encountered a group of Sprites early on that wiped me out. I probably should have at least transferred the default party's items and gold over before creating my own party. Oh well.

Thought I'd use Grid Cartographer for this one.

sorpigal2wdj3w.png

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The mod actually makes MM6 fun which I did not think was possible. I was able to clear Darkmoor castle at level 33. It's way more balanced and fair, though I'm sure some people would argue the difficulty curve is now totally busted and ruined but whatever. I can't hear you over all these rebalanced spells and delicious grandmaster skills.

One legit thing is there were no GM trainers in Enroth originally so they just doubled them with all the master trainers which I think was a mistake. The GMs should be harder to find and take more effort, somewhere on the western side of the map. They clearly moved or altered NPC placement in houses so this really should have been possible.

Now if only there was a way to move blasters from the hand slot to the missile slot this would be the perfect mod.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Arulan
Have you ever finished M&M 1 before? I played through it for the first time just a couple years ago and loved it, easily in my top 5 RPGs, maybe top 5 games of all time. Just seeing your map brings back pleasant memories of playing it. If you continue playing, please do update the thread, and it would be cool to see your maps as you play :)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I should find my paper maps and scan them for nostalgia. Now, i finished on c64 so... maybe that's considered easy mode. I never finished it on PC. MM2 on c64... fucking snail hell! The load times. First dos pc 486 4dx100 and seeing MM2 was unbelievably fast. Still, didn't finish but damn it was fun until I caught wind of 3-WoX (and i blazed through those a few times). Good times.

Arulan

Cipher
Arulan
Have you ever finished M&M 1 before? I played through it for the first time just a couple years ago and loved it, easily in my top 5 RPGs, maybe top 5 games of all time. Just seeing your map brings back pleasant memories of playing it. If you continue playing, please do update the thread, and it would be cool to see your maps as you play :)

mm0001w1kap.png

I played it over 20 years go, but I don't believe I finished it. That said, I don't remember too much, so it may as well be new.

I'll try to update as I go. Grid Cartographer sure helps to make some good-looking maps.

Arulan

Cipher
mm0010nfk79.png
mm0011ukk4l.png

Starting to encounter some tougher enemies underneath Sorpigal. These Fire Ants are immune to fire, and don't appear to be affected by Sleep. The Troglodytes poisoned my whole party which resulted in a party wipe. I did find some Chain Mail, so that should help. Make that Plate Mail.

And I received my first quest, taking me to another town. If I recall there are at least a couple ways to get there at this point. I'm going to continue exploring Sorpigal and its surrounding areas before heading out though.

That's one thing I appreciate about the series -- that the main quest isn't immediately revealed to you. You have to pick the pieces up as you go along.

sorpigal3h9j8c.png

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Don't forget to always have buffing spells like Levitate, Leather Skin and Protection spells on. And getting a blessing from a temple helps too.

Arulan

Cipher
mm0012f4k8i.png
mm00138ajne.png
mm00164vjf2.png

octavius Yeah, I need to remember to keep those active. Do you know what kinds of things Levitate protects from? Ground-based traps?

I believe I've explored all of Sorpigal and its dungeon. I know I can pay a Gem to get to Eriquim at this point, but I wanted to explore the outside a little first in hopes of finding it on my own. As you can see I traveled some down a few roads.

I have to say the combat is pretty damn good. A lot better than my limited memory of it recalled.

I've been going back and forth on my mapping icon standards. I want to keep it similar to what I'd actually draw myself, but some of the icons (Fountain, Monster, NPC, etc.) are pretty good.

sorpigal634kq3.png
sorpigaldungeon1hkjz6.png

varn2hbk96.png

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Excuse me for such question, but is there any way to remove race requirement for items in merger mod? I just found one particular artifact chainmail (Glomenmail) with "dark Elf" in description, but I would like to fix this. It's just does not make sense to me, because humans and elves have similar proportions (well, skinny humans), so what else could stop human from wearing this mail? Do dark elves have third eye on spine or something? The whole existence of dark elves is strange to me, but thats different story.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
and elves cant wear it even tho they get dark elf skill.
nobody here is part of the mod, you are better off raising an issue in gitlab.

jump spell was shorter than usual and couldnt traverse bee hive. FixMovement=1 in mm8.ini solves that

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
and elves cant wear it even tho they get dark elf skill.
nobody here is part of the mod, you are better off raising an issue in gitlab.
Ah, so it's a bug. I was thinking to edit item somehoew and not bother whoever in charge of mod right now. Btw, I found this armor in temple of Baa (Kriegspire in MM6) and this also strange, because this armor isn't supposed to be randomly generated.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
After fucking around with cheat engine a little, turns out that ability to wear such armor depends not dark elf ability. But wait, there is more! I tried to dress in this armor one of my old chars and newly created dark elf from other new game save and guess what? New char (created as dark elf) can wear armor, meanwhile old char cannot. It's seems, you can't receive ability to wear armor through skill or even editing class from table, seems there additional modifier.

Efe

Erudite
when creating character, there is a button on bottom left. shows 2 values representing race and class.
I think only baserace (3rd value) 10 (darkelf) work.

YbB8fK7.jpg

Arulan

Cipher
eriquin1unj0o.png

I eventually went back to the Leprechaun and took him up on his offer. It turns out Eriquim wasn't that far, I just didn't explore out enough in that direction.

An unusual town. Magical barriers, a rude wizard, secret walls aplenty, and a dungeon that'll zap you to death if you're not careful. I didn't explore too much down there before thinking better of it.

Now is probably a good time to continue exploring Varn and level up a little. Maybe I'll find Dusk out there somewhere.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
You're gonna get so much loot it doesn't matter. MM6 has 4 different maps with dragons and titans end to end, you fill up your inventory with artifacts.
Except there only two chainmail artifacts in game, one for elves and Glomenmail for dark elves (according to ITEMS.txt). In the end I managed to dress up my human character by replacing 0 values with 10 in races.txt
I hope nothing important was broken.

Efe

Erudite
if you are using alternate race skills table, they might be able to gm bow now
and gm dark elf but I'm not sure if anywhere teaches that skill

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom