Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game; Iron Tower Studio

It's hard to believe that over five years have passed since Colony Ship had its first development update. The combat demo has been available for about a year now, but today the game reached its most important milestone yet with the Early Access release. As our readers will know, the Colony Ship Early Access build is launching with the game's first chapter, consisting of three locations. The Early Access FAQ has a detailed timetable of what will be coming next, but before I post that, here's the super cool trailer Iron Tower put together last month.

Why Early Access?

We're making this game for you, so not only your feedback matters a great deal, it's an integral part of the design process. It played a vital role when we were working on our first game (The Age of Decadence), helping us improve every aspect of the game and refine our design philosophy.

Now that Colony Ship's first chapter is ready to be evaluated, we'd like to run it by you and see what you think. What you like, what you dislike, what you think is missing or should be improved. Together we'll go through every chapter and location until the game is ready to be released.

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
Approximately 18 months. We're planning to add improvements on a monthly basis and add new locations as follows:

Jun - Factory
Aug - Mission Control
Oct - Shuttle Bay
Feb - Habitat and the end of chapter 2
Apr - ECLSS
Jun - Heart (the mutant town)
Aug - Bridge and the end of chapter 3, all locations are done.
Nov - Endgame (chapter 4)

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

The full version will have 4 chapters. The current Early Access version contains the first chapter, roughly 25% of the game. The game is feature-complete, so all that's missing is the content (3 remaining chapters).

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

The Early Access version includes Chapter 1, consisting of 3 locations (a container town sitting in one of the cargo holds, the armory, and hydroponics). The chapter is self-contained, inviting you to take part in a local conflict with far-reaching consequences. It's fairly well-polished and doesn't have any unfinished content.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
We plan to gradually raise the price with each chapter.

Colony Ship Early Access is available on Steam and GOG for $25 with a 10% launch discount until next week. Buy it, play it and review it, before it gets more expensive! Additional details are available in the expanded FAQ in the game's Steam forum. You may also want to check out the currently ongoing developer livestream.

Last edited by a moderator:

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
I just started it as this came up. It is already heavily incline. Motion blur off by default, options for permanent outlines. Thank you, thank you so much.

Edit: It's good and the concientiousness and dedication to craft and pride in work is commendable. Give these guys money or eject from the codex, it's that simple.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
VD, any plans for options for font size? I think I have asked you this before, but the font of the dialogs and the UI ends up being too small for my eyes, age has not favored me so much in that sense. I think that to be comfortable for me, the UI would have to be about 50% larger than the current one. The dialogs themselves are readable, but I would also greatly appreciate an option to increase the font size.

I imagine that for the inventory/character screens there is not much of a solution, so the way to go is to accept having my face at 10cm from the screen, but it would be nice not to have to do this the rest of the time.

Other than that, the game looks great so far.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So can anyone confirm: if I buy it via GoG, will I be able to play it in whatever version it exists now or will I have to wait for the eventual release? Never heard of GoG's 'Games in Development' program so I'm kinda wary.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
VD, any plans for options for font size? I think I have asked you this before, but the font of the dialogs and the UI ends up being too small for my eyes, age has not favored me so much in that sense. I think that to be comfortable for me, the UI would have to be about 50% larger than the current one. The dialogs themselves are readable, but I would also greatly appreciate an option to increase the font size.

I imagine that for the inventory/character screens there is not much of a solution, so the way to go is to accept having my face at 10cm from the screen, but it would be nice not to have to do this the rest of the time.

Other than that, the game looks great so far.
We'll see what could be done.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So can anyone confirm: if I buy it via GoG, will I be able to play it in whatever version it exists now or will I have to wait for the eventual release? Never heard of GoG's 'Games in Development' program so I'm kinda wary.
Same as Steam's Early Access, you can play right away, we'll update both Steam and GOG builds at the same time.

Elwro

Arcane
Same as Steam's Early Access, you can play right away, we'll update both Steam and GOG builds at the same time.
Bought it, then!

Elwro

Arcane
Awesome. I'm sure it's on your list, but a list of keyboard shortcuts would be useful. Font size is fine by me. The game initially set up the gfx to the ultra settings at which it's unplayable on my laptop; however, it's perfectly fine since I turned the options down a bit.

EverlastingLove

Learned
Colony Ship Early Access is available on Steam and GOG for $25 with a 10% launch discount until next week. Buy it, play it and review it, before it gets more expensive!

Bought it! I've never pre-ordered or bought an EA game before so this is pretty big to me :P
Now the fun part, time to play the game :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpharius

Scholar
Costs about 7 bucks in my country. :outrage: I guess i'll wait until the discount ends at least.

Are there any plans for some kind of supporter edition?

Zanzoken

Arcane
Congrats on making Steam Top Sellers! You guys were listed third on my "Featured and Recommended" tab when I logged in to purchase.

7xeJJlL.png
See you in 18 months!

Looking at the minimum specs: GTS 450 is like 10 years old... would this be playable/did you test it on a new(ish) laptop with IGP (in this case Ryzen 5 4500U with 16 Gb RAM, Vega 6 IGP), resolution 1080p? PS: playing Disco Elysium was no problem on this laptop, but they specifically state IGP 512 Mb at the minimum specs).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Oh fuck yeah. Only 20 steam reviews so far? Time for me to write something longwinded when I'm done.

Wait... can I play this high as shit or do I need some higher-level thinking?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Purchased but I'm hesitant to play the EA as I don't want to spoil anything. Looking forward to the day I can play the whole thing.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lo and behold, the first retarded steam early access reviews are coming in. Only playing about an hour, leaving a review that shows they didn't know
what they were getting into. And instead of looking up a discussion, inform themselves, they refund and leave a standing negative review.

Lagi

Savant
:hypeship:
You could make "+50% price edition; we include your name in txt file in game folder [but nowhere else]"

edit:
I just go past character creation. Sweet butt of teenage girls! this is epic... I expect some skippable questions at start, but its just pure gold! Better than reading a book. No obvious answer, I even consider the religious option for once.
Im hooked.
I want to be born on spaceship going to Proxima Centauri :negative:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom