Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LJ40

Cipher
I don't think he is a fanboy. If he was. He'd be doing a better job of selling us on Baldur's Gate 3.
The thing is, even as a shill, there's literally no reason to try to sell it to you anymore.

People on this website who give a shit have either already purchased it, or have sworn off ever touching it (Hell, I'm sure some shitheads did both).

Anyone claiming to be on the fence is either the extremely rare true newfag or a fucking liar.

I'm on the fence, which is why I bought it.
That's the very definition of not on the fence, but ok.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
On the fence about whether the game is worth buying. Only way to really know is a test drive.

Still on the fence. May need to get a new machine for this and Wrath.

Harthwain

Magister
I don't think he is a fanboy. If he was. He'd be doing a better job of selling us on Baldur's Gate 3.
The thing is, even as a shill, there's literally no reason to try to sell it to you anymore.

People on this website who give a shit have either already purchased it, or have sworn off ever touching it (Hell, I'm sure some shitheads did both).

Anyone claiming to be on the fence is either the extremely rare true newfag or a fucking liar.

I'm on the fence, which is why I bought it.
That's the very definition of not on the fence, but ok.
I have "watch and see" policy. I am interested in how the title performs, but not enough to buy it right now (it's in Early Access). I am not sure if I really like Larian's formula (I found their Divinity: Original Sin games to be rather bland), so I'd rather wait to see the final product before committing myself to making a purchase, in case something will put me off after all.

Desiderius

Patron
Is there anywhere I can read the goddamned 5E rules? The lack of tooltips in this thing is ridiculous.

How does Concentration work? What does Ammunition mean on a bow? Loading on an Xbox?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is there anywhere I can read the goddamned 5E rules? The lack of tooltips in this thing is ridiculous.

How does Concentration work? What does Ammunition mean on a bow? Loading on an Xbox?
Knights of the Chalice really set the standard. I kept instinctively spamming f1 while playing Baldur's Gate 3. In Chalice that's the key that lets you access the in game data base. Gives you documentation on *everything*. From the controls, lore, even the ruleset that it's based on is covered. See:
YQj4IbP.png
Don't know what it is. But these modern games give you fuck and all for documentation. Should just link me to the rulebook if they're too lazy.

Last edited:

CodexTotalWar

Learned

It was even worst at launch - they've started adding some info (the stuff you see popping up before the first fight) around patch 3 or 4. Hopefully there will be more.

I normally reference the 5e SRDs (same info, but 2 different layouts):
https://5thsrd.org/
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/CategoryIndex:Rules#content

Concentration is a new spellcasting mechanic/limitation in 5E. Every character only has a single concentration slot, and it is required to maintain spell effects if indicated by the spell - meaning you can never use two spells that requires concentration simultaneously.

Typically the "stronger" buffs/debuffs/effects require concentration. Stacking buffs/debuffs with a single caster is still possible but now it can't just be anything due to this mechanic. I.e., you cannot have the Haste and Slow spells running at the same time because both spells require your concentration. However, you can have Mage Armor, Haste, and Mirror Image running simultaneously together because only Haste uses your concentration slot in that set of buffs.

Concentration can be lost (spell ends) if you override it with another concentration spell, take damage, or are subjected to a status effect that removes it (i.e. incapacitated/paralyzed). When taking damage, you must make a DC = Damage/2, with 10 as minimum Constitution Saving throw to see if you can maintain the spell. In BG3, it seems like being knocked prone is an auto fail (or a forced save, I don't remember and will need to confirm), but that isn't the case in table top. Not sure if that's a feature or a bug.

In table top, you can voluntarily end your concentration at any time - i.e. dismiss your spell as a free-action, but BG3 has not currently Implemented that yet. So the only way to end a concentration spell prematurely is cast another or take damage, etc.

Ammunition is a property that basically has no effect currently in BG3 - normally in table top that means you need ammo for the weapon to work, but the only ammunition that matters in BG3 is special arrows (think DOS 2 elemental / special arrows). Normal ammunition is not tracked.

Loading on a Xbow is a limitation that currently also has no effect due to the low level limit of EA. It's a property that basically limits Martials to 1 attack per round when they progress to level 5 and get Extra Attack (their version of progressing to BAB +6/+1 in 3.5e/PF)

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kay. I don't know about you Desiderius but I'm done with my test drive of the game. Very pretty game. Haven't seen graphics this good in a long while. Cutscene animations are quite janky though. Anyways, *big* downgrade compared to Knights of the Chalice. Maybe it will improve later down the line, maybe it won't. Either way, I have about an hour logged in.
jsJGu8M.png
Would rather not tether the line. Going to trade this out for Colony Ship. Okay, good thread. See ya.

hell bovine

Arcane

It was even worst at launch - they've started adding some info (the stuff you see popping up before the first fight) around patch 3 or 4. Hopefully there will be more.

I normally reference the 5e SRDs (same info, but 2 different layouts):
https://5thsrd.org/
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/CategoryIndex:Rules#content

Concentration is a new spellcasting mechanic/limitation in 5E. Every character only has a single concentration slot, and it is required to maintain spell effects if indicated by the spell - meaning you can never use two spells that requires concentration simultaneously.
Concentration is why you want to keep wizards (but especially Gale) out of enemy range in BG3. It's very easy to break concentration due to overabundance of surface effects, and also enemies will zone onto Gale like homing missiles. On the upside, a wizard is all you need, because the bug where they can learn all spells (including divine) is still in.

Gargaune

Magister
On the upside, a wizard is all you need, because the bug where they can learn all spells (including divine) is still in.
I remember once seeing a Beamdog gig with a WotC staffer responsible for source material conformity, I think at one point he was talking about how it was his job to ensure Beholders always have the correct number of eyestalks... So WotC has Beholder Eyestalk Density Inspectors, but cross-class spell acquisition is a-ok? I used to think there's no way this won't get patched out, but now I'm not so sure.

Desiderius

Patron
On the upside, a wizard is all you need, because the bug where they can learn all spells (including divine) is still in.
I remember once seeing a Beamdog gig with a WotC staffer responsible for source material conformity, I think at one point he was talking about how it was his job to ensure Beholders always have the correct number of eyestalks... So WotC has Beholder Eyestalk Density Inspectors, but cross-class spell acquisition is a-ok? I used to think there's no way this won't get patched out, but now I'm not so sure.

Focusing on the trivial to avoid the substantive is the real pandemic.

Desiderius

Patron
imagine complaining about an obvious bug in an unfinished game

Yes, that's why we have early access. To find them. It's Larian's (or Owlcat's) job to fix them when we do. When they blow their time and resources on ghey trivial shit instead of shoring up basic functionality they're abrogating the agreement.

What happened to you, Rus? Every take is stupider than the last, and now you're leaning into them. Right here you're turning into Lacrymas. Have some pride, man.

Codex Year of the Donut
imagine complaining about an obvious bug in an unfinished game

Yes, that's why we have early access. To find them. It's Larian's (or Owlcat's) job to fix them when we do. When they blow their time and resources on ghey trivial shit instead of shoring up basic functionality they're abrogating the agreement.

What happened to you, Rus? Every take is stupider than the last, and now you're leaning into them.
It's not a released game, I'm not going to complain about bugs they know exist.
"b-b-but it's not fixed yet!"
so? quit playing an unfinished game

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There would be riots on the streets if Wizards are allowed to learn divine spells.

Yep. See how many balancefags write texts and texts about how wish is OP but they don't care about miracle, which not only is potent as a wish but far less dangerous, or how they complain about finger of death, wail of the banshee and disintegrate, but don't care about implosion, a OHK divine spell which ignores immunity to death effects(which can be obtained as a 4th tier spell), on 2e, divine casters was better in defensive magic and arcane in offensive. On 3.5e, divine casters become better at anything and balancefags don't care. They are far more arcane haters than people who advocate for balance.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
wizards wear dresses(mega gay) whereas clerics wear medium/heavy armor and shields(based)

Wrong. Casters doesn't wear armor cuz they don't need and they can wear anything. While the chad wizard is enjoying his summoned succubi, the virgin cleric is praying cuz without his deity, he is nothing.

sk6bofh.png

nKpqSu9.png

Among the martial classes, the chad monk and barbarian also doesn't need armor. Only virgin classes like fighter and paladin needs armor.

Codex Year of the Donut
wizards wear dresses(mega gay) whereas clerics wear medium/heavy armor and shields(based)

Wrong. Casters doesn't wear armor cuz they don't need and they can wear anything. While the chad wizard is enjoying his summoned succubi, the virgin cleric is praying cuz without his deity, he is nothing.

sk6bofh.png

nKpqSu9.png

Among the martial classes, the chad monk and barbarian also doesn't need armor. Only virgin classes like fighter and paladin needs armor.
dresses are gay lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom