Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nm6k

Scholar
- there s way less replayability than teron. mainly because there s no background nor different quests depending on which faction you join, since it seems you pick your side far later in the game. companions also make it easy to test all the weapon types. i think i've played AoD when it was teron only for dozens of hours, this game i'll do a second playtrough maximum.

Yes, at first, but once you get back from the Habitat, the town will have different sets of quests depending on which of the 3 leaders ended on top in this chapter. So instead of frontloading everything like we did in Teron, and then when you came back there was nothing, here you will have three alternate paths down the road (apart from all the faction quests in the habitat). Also, reputation (combat/diplomacy/stealth) will matter a lot. How you solve quests in the early and mid-game will define which type of quests and opportunities you get later on. So if you solve things via stealth here, you will get offered some cool sneaking opportunities in the late game. Same for diplomacy and combat. Basically, we moved away from the "railroad tracks" design of AoD into something more systemic. At first you'll be able to do a lot, build a reputation on how you solve things, and then the game splits to accommodate the kind of character you built.

That sounds very exciting I can't wait to come cross it as the game gets updated.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Ergo, the optimal way to play is to quicksave prior to dialogue and try discovering the longest skillcheck chain possible so as to accumulate the most XP. If you meet a gang of enemies you want to kill, it's best to enter negotiations, pick as many failing checks as possible, and then kill them, rather than going straight to the killing

Some notes:

- Chains have the same amount, maybe for a few exceptions.
- If you don't tags the skills, there's only so far you can get with this method.
- Failing the checks gives an initiative penalty in combat.
- Succeeding the checks give extra speech XP.
- Attacking before the checks gives an initiative bonus and a bonus feat when used many times.
- You don't get diplomacy reputation, which would close quest paths later on in the game regarding speech.

Basically, you are free to do that, but it's definitely not a clear cut optimal way to play.

Last edited:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Another thing. I agree that when you have a full party the difficulty becomes easier. I need to do a pass on the enemies since the main problem is their lack of initiative and usually it being in a similar range. So except for Jed, many times your party goes first, which allows you to take down enemies way too easily. Also I've fixed some enemies having to little skill (arena fights 4 and 5).

Also, some enemies didn't use the grenades they had, and even lost their turns. Will be fixed in the upcoming version.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
very minor bug in the armoury
When you find the override module that the powerplant guy needs, it says
"TEMP you have found the override module"
Presumably the text needs to be updated

very minor bug in the armoury number 2
If you kill the magic frog, it says "TEMP" when you hover over the frog brain item you can recover from its corpse

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last minor bug, regarding the movie/training machine at the Emporium (near Manny's)
When you talk to the owner, he tells you about how the device accepts tokens.
You cannot use the tokens you find until you complete the Algae quest and accept the token as the alternative reward from Boone.
Only when you go to the owner with the token from Boone will there be an option to use tokens, despite the fact that I had found 2 other tokens first

Also, the guy in the initial area who is supposed to identify items doesn't seem to do anything at all. Although maybe I just haven't explored that part of the demo yet.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
The laser rifle is nice and powerful. Extremely accurate, reasonable AP cost, and hits twice as hard as most regular rifles. Would recommend.

upload_2021-4-7_0-14-35.png

I've basically wiped the floor with everyone by using Evans as a tanky SMG, and my main character as a genius who passes all the skill checks and then sits in the back sniping. Hard to miss with this new gun, although I'm sure some of the more difficult combats will give me trouble still.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Feel quite hard for me to level up my computer skill; I tagged it, and raised it in chargen, but there aren't any skill checks I can pass. In general, I've noticed a certain degree of big fish, little fish gameplay here, where I have to find the next skill check I can "eat" to level up a skill sufficiently to "eat" a larger skill check. This doesn't seem to be how the game was intended to be played, but I'm not really perceiving another way to play it with respect to the three science skills.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Feel quite hard for me to level up my computer skill; I tagged it, and raised it in chargen, but there aren't any skill checks I can pass. In general, I've noticed a certain degree of big fish, little fish gameplay here, where I have to find the next skill check I can "eat" to level up a skill sufficiently to "eat" a larger skill check. This doesn't seem to be how the game was intended to be played, but I'm not really perceiving another way to play it with respect to the three science skills.

Yeah, we are working on some tweaks to that, adding a bit more checks for some skills that are missing them and broadening each tier (while lowering LP gain a bit for higher ones). Computer is particularly one of them. Steal is also playing it too tightly.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bought on steam and gog. Probably won't play until the release, I haven't been playing any cRPGs or games at all recently, only HOMM3.

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Beat it with hammer bulid already, overall feels smoother than AoD which is a good thing.
Out of curiousity how hard would it be to implement floats to emulate some living in the city?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
when was doing perfect teron run as a thief it wasnt that different actually. In AoD you still had to do things in perfect order if you wanted to pass the thresholds

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
We just updated the build.

Changelog:

Gameplay

- Added an option to use party members' Electronics skill in the conversation with Zeke
- You no longer need to get the entire party past the frogs when sneaking, a single character can do it
- Critical Thinker now requires PER 6 (instead of CS 3)
- Artful Dodger now requires DEX 6 (instead of Evasion 3)
- Added text elevator to level 3 in the Armory

Changes

- Tweaked icons
- Tweaked checks and LP gain.
- Fixed missing skills for enemies, first combat balance pass
- Tweaked enemies' stats and items
- Tweaked loot in the Armory
- Minor dialogue tweaks
- Item and trade lists tweaks

Fixes

- Fixed the speech success in Samuel's quest
- Fixed the wrong description of Captain feat
- Fixed loop in Jed's quest if you failed the speech path and got into combat
- Fixed loop in Samuel's quest that allowed to start sneaking again
- Fixed computers training loop (Maryam)
- The gunners you get from Manny leave after combat.
- Fixed dead Jed "surviving" the fight against Black Will
- Fixed perception check loop in the Armory
- Fixed issue with ropes and climbing in Hydroponics
- Fixed passability in the foliage in Hydroponics
- Fixed some quests not giving XP
- Fixed not gaining Computer LP in the Armory
- Fixed some lighting in the Armory
- Fixed some collisions in Hydroponics
- Fixed being unable to show some tokens
- Removed Braxton on Jonas Gate end
- Fixed zero rolls (incorrect subranges in int random decks)
- Fixed frogs not saving their mesh on game load
- Fixed AI not using grenades
- Implemented and fixed character and inventory screens tooltips
- Fixed exploits when using drag'n'drop when trading
- Fixed door sounds not being affected by options

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Just wanted to note that the option to 'check patch notes' in GoG Galaxy is greyed out (unavaiable) for me.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Yeah, we are working on some tweaks to that, adding a bit more checks for some skills that are missing them and broadening each tier (while lowering LP gain a bit for higher ones). Computer is particularly one of them. Steal is also playing it too tightly.

Agreed, and add more checks to stealth. Impossible to level in the current chapers.

Incendax

Augur
Bought a copy to give it a spin. Companion limit might need to be reduced by 1, just because of how easy they make the game.
Could also add a New Game+ (without items). I'm sure some people would sink tons of hours replaying with the same character.
Really enjoying the writing. Good work!

CoronerZg

Augur
Anyway, it is what it is. I guess you can consider this a form of feedback in a way. Not too sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I am one who also wished AoD had been a bit longer.
You're not the only one... AoD would be perfect with a bit more content, especially for the endgame. Always feels bad when you finally get your MC to be good at shit and then the game ends. Although I do understand appeal of AoD is that your character is struggling most of the time. But I'm pretty sure I would feel AoD is too short even if it was twice as long, cause the game was just that good :)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am Poor too but allocated enough Potato rubbles to buy 1,5 litters of samogon here, the Studio which dares to put Year of Our Lord onto the game and scorn romances in current year deserves the support Comrades.

Anybody got a good Nagan wielding Pistolero/Diplomat based on intimidation built? Congratulations to Commissar Vince and his team for release.

jackofshadows

Magister
Conjure spirit spell works but I cannot see the spirit itself.
No one get my little Arcanum reference? :(
Agreed, and add more checks to stealth. Impossible to level in the current chapers.
After each successfully completed stealth section there's a lot of exp pumping into it. Not sure about bonuses for take-downs but anyway as you can see I had almost 4 at the end and I missed 1 section on armory with the two raiders, and I did break few others with combat which should give less stealth points, maybe something else. Invested a point at the start though.
Anybody got a good Nagan wielding Pistolero/Diplomat based on intimidation built?
Depends on how many companions (0-3) do you wanna recruit.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
I really love it. Can't wait for the next chapters.

Can't say much of gameplay as I've just done a single playthrough, but I love it.
I got the impression it might be too easy to improve some skill, while there are little chances to improve others (say biotech xD)

Was kind of expecting the same shitty graphics/art of AoD instead I was pleasantly surprised by how beautifull and polished it looks.

As for bugs
Dunno if it was fixed in the last patch, but:
the girl on the second level of the first tower in hydroponics bugged on me and I could level up computers to 10 for free
the plant monster/things bugs on me 3 out of 4 time on its first attack. It release gas and then stops before doing the head grabbing animation. The mouse icon remain an hourglass and I cant do anything apart fromn reloading

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Isn't Mastermind a bit too OP? (extra feats while levelling, +50% skill XP gain).

During the chargen I thought "why would anyone pick anything else?" Especially coz it's tied to INT which also gives extra XP. Seems like too much of a no-brainer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom