Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Might = Depth
Int = Breadth
Dex = Velocity
Perception = Acceleration
Resolve = Friction/Resistance/Impedance
Con = Mass

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Also, bear in mind that the link between INT and wizardry comes from Vancian magic - i.e. from the idea that you need high intelligence to be able to bind and outwit the entities that do the actual magic, to do research, and to keep the brain-bending spells in your memory till discharged.

Without those ideas, magic doesn't have any particular link to intelligence and it could just as easily be a natural ability (as with Gandalf, being an Aesir or whatever the term is, an entity naturally able to do magic) that a jock could have just as easily as a nerd.

Not that I'm particularly defending the idaea of the "muscle wizard", since I think that's a canard (the situation is as I posted earlier, Might was supposed to represent a generalized "puissance" that could be mental or physical) - but even the "muscle wizard" isn't that weird of an idea in and of itself, the only problem is that it would be OP (if you had both high martial ability AND high magic ability).

Action economy keeps that in check as long as high isn’t highest.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Also muscle wizard is just one of possible builds. Damage wizard will go all in on Might, but debuff Wizard would probably prioritize int and a battlemage needs a different set of attributes altogether.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I had to post-pone my Pillars play as real life got in the way but i just wanted to say i WILL play the game and there's nothing you guys can do to stop me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Planning to play PoE2 and I remembered I abandoned my PoE1 run many years ago so fuck it, might as well finish it and refresh the lore for the sequel run.

But goddamn these games are nasty for the "let's jump back after many years" type of run. Completely lost rn. What are these quests, how the fuck do I play a chanter again and jesus these sawyeresque stats are so autistic. Would be faster to start a fresh run.

Also have they nerfed the Path difficulty? Seems suspiciously easy.

Zibniyat

Arcane
I had to post-pone my Pillars play as real life got in the way but i just wanted to say i WILL play the game and there's nothing you guys can do to stop me.

Far be it from us to try and dissuade you from wasting your time, energy and life playing that banal, derivative and generic piece of entertainment. Your life, your choices.

Zibniyat

Arcane
I wasn't following the discussion, so why do you "have to" try? Certainly, nothing is absolutely bad and good things can be extracted even from POE, but that it will be worth the effort? Not likely.

Unless you are a "game historian" of sorts, who will play it out of some sense of diligence or "need", or you are of the opinion that most known RPGs should be played by those who like the genre, what else is there as a reason? To participate in discussions about RPGs?

Desiderius

Patron
Everybody needs to get with the hot chick to realize she’s kind of vapid so that settling feels like enough.

Desiderius

Patron
At least play a high Perception MC so you don’t miss out on what is there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I wasn't following the discussion, so why do you "have to" try? Certainly, nothing is absolutely bad and good things can be extracted even from POE, but that it will be worth the effort? Not likely.

Unless you are a "game historian" of sorts, who will play it out of some sense of diligence or "need", or you are of the opinion that most known RPGs should be played by those who like the genre, what else is there as a reason? To participate in discussions about RPGs?

I think it's more that there's an entire conversation people are having on the Codex i'm left out of.

I haven't followed the western RPG scene for a long, long time and i've pretty much ignored all the kickstarter releases and now it feels i don't even belong here lmao.

Lastly, i actually bought the game and that's annoying.

I can always stop playing it if i'm too bored.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A small sitrep, why exactly are people hating on this game again? Been playing for about 6 hours now and it feels like a very loyal successor to the BG and IWD brands.

Granted, I've never been a hardcore fan of those, always been a blobber kind of guy (Wiz, MM, DM, EoB, this sort of stuff), but from a 10k feet view PoE does feel like a true spiritual successor of the old Infinity Engine RPGs.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The first 6 hours of PoE has a higher word count than BG and IWD put together. That's really the biggest issue. They actually nailed the atmosphere.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
PoE has some issues, but it wasn't really deal-breaking for me. And as has been said many times, White March 1 and 2 as well as Deadfire are even better all around.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
PoE is ok but there is too much meaningless Loredump, feels like NPC arent people but living encyclopidas.

I am playing Deadfire atm and enjoy it, but the voiced dialogue is driving me insane. Why is there not a seperate slider for only dialogue voices????

Codex Year of the Donut
A small sitrep, why exactly are people hating on this game again? Been playing for about 6 hours now and it feels like a very loyal successor to the BG and IWD brands.

Granted, I've never been a hardcore fan of those, always been a blobber kind of guy (Wiz, MM, DM, EoB, this sort of stuff), but from a 10k feet view PoE does feel like a true spiritual successor of the old Infinity Engine RPGs.
Pillows starts off strong and is a slow decline to pure shit. I liked how bleak the first few areas are.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree the beginning is the best part of the base game. The judgement on the rest is far too harsh IMO, though. Also the expansions are the best content, by far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom