Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

cruel

Cipher
Thanks, I will pass on it in this case. Will do one more playthrough of Dark Souls or Nioh instead.

Venser

Erudite
Surprisingly PC Ganer just chose it as their 2020 GOTY over Half-Life: Alyx.

https://www.pcgamer.com/game-of-the-year-2020-death-stranding/

Game of the Year 2020: Death Stranding

By PC Gamer a day ago

Truly no game encapsulated 2020 better than Kojima's journey to reconnect the world.

YP5yr3PZmQZdjhGREBMypm-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Kojima Productions)

Here it is: PC Gamer's 2020 Game of the Year. If you want to catch up on all of this year's awards and staff picks, visit out GOTY hub.

James Davenport: Cut out the noise around all the odd Kojima-isms, the myth of the nonsensical two-hour long cutscenes, the needless cameos and indulgent winks at the camera—it's all there, and I like it, but it made up a miniscule percentage of my 100-plus hours wandering the American wastes.

What's important: Death Stranding is one of the best games about getting from point A to point B ever made—looking at you Breath of the Wild. It's a game of logistics and physics, resolutely and finally where it belongs on the PC among its simulator siblings, each of Normie's legs given the same attention that SCS Software gives to the 18 tires on a semi-truck.

It's a gorgeous exercise in isolation and serenity, touching on themes of what happens when late-capitalist culture alienates us from one another, and our attempt to chase whatever mindless serotonin high we can in place of those relationships. Death Stranding wants to find purpose in labor, to steer what we accomplish back towards serving one another rather than the ideas of misguided leaders. And it does it so, so well. Every hike up a hill is fraught with tension and danger, both from interdimensional ghosts pinned to reality via inky umbilical cords and… your own clumsy feet.

Death Stranding is about carrying on anyway and trying not to panic when things get worse. Because they will. I've tumbled down cliffs and slid down a river or twelve, but scrambling to adjust and salvage my shipment is just an unexpected augmentation to the challenge. Just another excuse to play around with the dozens of tools supporting the deep traversal and survival systems that make or break every journey. Wrap it all up in morose themes and visually stunning sci-fi concepts, and Death Stranding goes from hiking sim to ineffable mood sim real quick—like Journey but with gravity and consequence.

Once Death Stranding opens up, it's easy to see the Metal Gear Solid 5 stealth sandbox ethos applied to the act of walking here, but with even more trust handed to the player. It was illuminating, talking to other folks who played Death Stranding. We all had similar experiences, these self-imposed goals that rose naturally from the courier sandbox in combination with the asynchronous multiplayer features, where some structures and items are synced between players. We dedicated weekends to finishing highways, hauling comical towers of goods between Death Stranding's highest and most treacherous peaks to build a zipline network.

None of it is even remotely required to finish the campaign, none of it guided by hardcoded questlines or prompts, but knowing you might make someone's own journey a little easier, well, turns out it's a much better reward than XP or any gun skin. The kindness might seem superficial, but there really is no reason for doing this stuff for strangers besides knowing how it feels yourself to eat shit and trip down a hill running from the encroaching black ooze of a BT swarm. Or any other less dramatic variation of tripping on your own feet.

Getting from point A to B is a tenuous trust exercise with physics, propped up by a totally optional trust exercise with strangers. Can you carry a tower of resin up that mountain on your back, through waist-deep snow, all before a time-accelerating blizzard arrives? Do you have enough climbing gear? Thermal pads? Fresh boots? Confidence? Faith? And Why do I explode like a lil' nuke when I die? Only way to find out is by making the slow, steady climb. Baby steps.

missing-image.svg

(Image credit: Sony Interactive Entertainment)

Andy Kelly: Death Stranding has completely changed the way I think about traversal in videogames. As much as I love Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, merrily skipping across Norwegian mountains feels, suddenly, quite ridiculous. I don’t think every open world game should go to the same lengths of simulation as Death Stranding, because the exhausting struggle of crossing a river or ascending a mountain peak is very specific to that game. But I would like other developers, inspired by Kojima Productions, to make traversing terrain more involved and considered. It kinda cheapens Valhalla’s majestic Scandinavian peaks when you can scramble up them effortlessly.

I also love how Death Stranding constantly drip-feeds you tools and gadgets to gradually make your job easier. At first it’s just you, your boots, and the elements, but later you get access to floating cargo platforms, electric tricycles, and exoskeletons that let you carry more weight. However, even with these helping hands, getting from place to place is still a challenge. When you encounter one of the game’s many varied, rugged Icelandic landscapes, it feels like a puzzle to be solved. You stand at the foot of a mountain, bulky packages strapped to every inch of your body, and wonder how the hell you’re gonna get to the top. And when you do, after much toil, it feels incredible.

missing-image.svg

Wes Fenlon: Who cares if Death Stranding was released on consoles in 2019. This is the videogame of the year 2020—and like James said, it's a PC simulation through and through. Like Metal Gear Solid 5 before it, Death Stranding is a game that understands the satisfaction of choosing from a vast array of tools, making a fastidious plan, and executing on it.

And they understand physical comedy. In MGS5, attaching a balloon to a guard (or a bear) and sending them flying into the air was a joy all 500 times I did it. Death Stranding begs you to stack a wobbly tower of cargo on your back and run down a hill so that when you finally lose your balance, you eat shit hard. In a game full of melodrama, falling on your ass is still the most dramatic thing that can happen in Death Stranding.

The talk surrounding Hideo Kojima's games tends to focus on their themes, the ridiculous cutscenes, his obsession with Hollywood. As Chris adeptly pointed out in a Twitter thread highlighting the names of characters in Death Stranding, it can be hard to tell if Kojima's ideas are hilariously tongue-in-cheek or hilariously stupid. In Death Stranding's case, I don't think it matters. 2020 loaned the game added gravitas—its theme of reconnecting a post-apocalyptic, isolated America has real power, even alongside cutscenes with characters named Die Hardman and Sam Porter Bridges.

Again, is the way you frantically mash a "Like" button after encountering another online player's bridge or zipline a clever commentary on social media excess, or something Kojima thought was genuinely cool? I don't know. But it's funny. And it does the job, compelling you to help other players you'll never see, making you grateful for the lifeline someone else built for you over a treacherous stretch of terrain.

"Walking simulator" was once used as a pejorative, and it's almost like Death Stranding took that as a challenge. It's a deep, satisfying sim about walking up hills, and somehow an affecting story of human connection, too, even when you're walking around with a baby named BB strapped to your chest.

missing-image.svg

Jody Macgregor: It's an entire game about terrain, what could be more PC gaming than that? How about the fact if it has an entire side story about NPCs who are obsessed with Valve games?

Every now and then you get an email from a Portal fan who sends you off in search of missing companion cubes—which oddly fits with Death Stranding's idea that post-apocalyptic survivors are really into pre-Stranding pop culture, from Seven Samurai to the God of War soundtrack. Your reward for finding the companion cubes is Valve-themed merch, like Gordon Freeman's glasses, a lambda-covered truck, or a wearable headcrab that you might forget you have on until it shows up in a serious cutscene. I shouldn't need to tell anyone here how much that rules.

Last edited:

Xelocix

Learned
Surprisingly PC Ganmer just chose it as their 2020 GOTY over Half-Life: Alyx.

https://www.pcgamer.com/game-of-the-year-2020-death-stranding/

Game of the Year 2020: Death Stranding

By PC Gamer a day ago

Truly no game encapsulated 2020 better than Kojima's journey to reconnect the world.

YP5yr3PZmQZdjhGREBMypm-320-80.jpg

Here it is: PC Gamer's 2020 Game of the Year. If you want to catch up on all of this year's awards and staff picks, visit out GOTY hub.

James Davenport: Cut out the noise around all the odd Kojima-isms, the myth of the nonsensical two-hour long cutscenes, the needless cameos and indulgent winks at the camera—it's all there, and I like it, but it made up a miniscule percentage of my 100-plus hours wandering the American wastes.

What's important: Death Stranding is one of the best games about getting from point A to point B ever made—looking at you Breath of the Wild. It's a game of logistics and physics, resolutely and finally where it belongs on the PC among its simulator siblings, each of Normie's legs given the same attention that SCS Software gives to the 18 tires on a semi-truck.

It's a gorgeous exercise in isolation and serenity, touching on themes of what happens when late-capitalist culture alienates us from one another, and our attempt to chase whatever mindless serotonin high we can in place of those relationships. Death Stranding wants to find purpose in labor, to steer what we accomplish back towards serving one another rather than the ideas of misguided leaders. And it does it so, so well. Every hike up a hill is fraught with tension and danger, both from interdimensional ghosts pinned to reality via inky umbilical cords and… your own clumsy feet.

Death Stranding is about carrying on anyway and trying not to panic when things get worse. Because they will. I've tumbled down cliffs and slid down a river or twelve, but scrambling to adjust and salvage my shipment is just an unexpected augmentation to the challenge. Just another excuse to play around with the dozens of tools supporting the deep traversal and survival systems that make or break every journey. Wrap it all up in morose themes and visually stunning sci-fi concepts, and Death Stranding goes from hiking sim to ineffable mood sim real quick—like Journey but with gravity and consequence.

Once Death Stranding opens up, it's easy to see the Metal Gear Solid 5 stealth sandbox ethos applied to the act of walking here, but with even more trust handed to the player. It was illuminating, talking to other folks who played Death Stranding. We all had similar experiences, these self-imposed goals that rose naturally from the courier sandbox in combination with the asynchronous multiplayer features, where some structures and items are synced between players. We dedicated weekends to finishing highways, hauling comical towers of goods between Death Stranding's highest and most treacherous peaks to build a zipline network.

None of it is even remotely required to finish the campaign, none of it guided by hardcoded questlines or prompts, but knowing you might make someone's own journey a little easier, well, turns out it's a much better reward than XP or any gun skin. The kindness might seem superficial, but there really is no reason for doing this stuff for strangers besides knowing how it feels yourself to eat shit and trip down a hill running from the encroaching black ooze of a BT swarm. Or any other less dramatic variation of tripping on your own feet.

Getting from point A to B is a tenuous trust exercise with physics, propped up by a totally optional trust exercise with strangers. Can you carry a tower of resin up that mountain on your back, through waist-deep snow, all before a time-accelerating blizzard arrives? Do you have enough climbing gear? Thermal pads? Fresh boots? Confidence? Faith? And Why do I explode like a lil' nuke when I die? Only way to find out is by making the slow, steady climb. Baby steps.

missing-image.svg

(Image credit: Sony Interactive Entertainment)

Andy Kelly: Death Stranding has completely changed the way I think about traversal in videogames. As much as I love Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, merrily skipping across Norwegian mountains feels, suddenly, quite ridiculous. I don’t think every open world game should go to the same lengths of simulation as Death Stranding, because the exhausting struggle of crossing a river or ascending a mountain peak is very specific to that game. But I would like other developers, inspired by Kojima Productions, to make traversing terrain more involved and considered. It kinda cheapens Valhalla’s majestic Scandinavian peaks when you can scramble up them effortlessly.

I also love how Death Stranding constantly drip-feeds you tools and gadgets to gradually make your job easier. At first it’s just you, your boots, and the elements, but later you get access to floating cargo platforms, electric tricycles, and exoskeletons that let you carry more weight. However, even with these helping hands, getting from place to place is still a challenge. When you encounter one of the game’s many varied, rugged Icelandic landscapes, it feels like a puzzle to be solved. You stand at the foot of a mountain, bulky packages strapped to every inch of your body, and wonder how the hell you’re gonna get to the top. And when you do, after much toil, it feels incredible.

missing-image.svg

Wes Fenlon: Who cares if Death Stranding was released on consoles in 2019. This is the videogame of the year 2020—and like James said, it's a PC simulation through and through. Like Metal Gear Solid 5 before it, Death Stranding is a game that understands the satisfaction of choosing from a vast array of tools, making a fastidious plan, and executing on it.

And they understand physical comedy. In MGS5, attaching a balloon to a guard (or a bear) and sending them flying into the air was a joy all 500 times I did it. Death Stranding begs you to stack a wobbly tower of cargo on your back and run down a hill so that when you finally lose your balance, you eat shit hard. In a game full of melodrama, falling on your ass is still the most dramatic thing that can happen in Death Stranding.

The talk surrounding Hideo Kojima's games tends to focus on their themes, the ridiculous cutscenes, his obsession with Hollywood. As Chris adeptly pointed out in a Twitter thread highlighting the names of characters in Death Stranding, it can be hard to tell if Kojima's ideas are hilariously tongue-in-cheek or hilariously stupid. In Death Stranding's case, I don't think it matters. 2020 loaned the game added gravitas—its theme of reconnecting a post-apocalyptic, isolated America has real power, even alongside cutscenes with characters named Die Hardman and Sam Porter Bridges.

Again, is the way you frantically mash a "Like" button after encountering another online player's bridge or zipline a clever commentary on social media excess, or something Kojima thought was genuinely cool? I don't know. But it's funny. And it does the job, compelling you to help other players you'll never see, making you grateful for the lifeline someone else built for you over a treacherous stretch of terrain.

"Walking simulator" was once used as a pejorative, and it's almost like Death Stranding took that as a challenge. It's a deep, satisfying sim about walking up hills, and somehow an affecting story of human connection, too, even when you're walking around with a baby named BB strapped to your chest.

missing-image.svg

Jody Macgregor: It's an entire game about terrain, what could be more PC gaming than that? How about the fact if it has an entire side story about NPCs who are obsessed with Valve games?

Every now and then you get an email from a Portal fan who sends you off in search of missing companion cubes—which oddly fits with Death Stranding's idea that post-apocalyptic survivors are really into pre-Stranding pop culture, from Seven Samurai to the God of War soundtrack. Your reward for finding the companion cubes is Valve-themed merch, like Gordon Freeman's glasses, a lambda-covered truck, or a wearable headcrab that you might forget you have on until it shows up in a serious cutscene. I shouldn't need to tell anyone here how much that rules.

How is this surprising?

More importantly who even cares what PC gamer thinks?

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, I finally started Death Stranding and I'm currently a few hours in.

And.....

I mean we got a world connected to the afterlife, purgatory represented by a fucking beach, invisible undead monsters that are apparently giants, babies from stillmothers that apparently have a connection to the afterlife and some murica' loving people that wax philosphically for two hours about the simple act of rebuilding a communication network (which from the name is apparently made out of the same stuff thats toxic to anyone but I digress...) including a vice president who's literary named die hardman.

I mean I get that, its ok.

But,

I'm currently looking at a codex entry that describes how the world fell into mass depression and drug use because amazon decided to go full in on drone delivery.

:hmmm:

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Death Stranding Did Very Well On PC, Earning $27 Million
Death Stranding first found success as a PS4 exclusive, but the game has evidently done very well on PC, as well. Publisher 505 Games' parent organization Digital Bros has shared the game's impressive revenue figures in its latest financial report, and it dwarfs the company's other games.

For the year ending December 31, 2020, Death Stranding managed to earn more than €23 million, which is over $27 million. This is despite the game only releasing in July of that year, and put it significantly above the company's other major AAA games like Control and Ghostrunner for the year.

It remains to be seen what's next for Hideo Kojima and his team. One big change for the next game will be its composer, as veteran Kojima Productions composer Ludvig Forssell left the company in March following a 10-year stint that included work on Death Stranding and Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's a little ironic that a game that was funded by Sony money, and based on the engine of yet another then-PS4-exclusive, should turn out to be one of the cleanest console-to-PC ports in a long time. It's rare enough that you can say a PC port is objectively the best version of a game without mods and fanpatches, nevermind that it performs well on even a toaster.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a little ironic that a game that was funded by Sony money, and based on the engine of yet another then-PS4-exclusive, should turn out to be one of the cleanest console-to-PC ports in a long time. It's rare enough that you can say a PC port is objectively the best version of a game without mods and fanpatches, nevermind that it performs well on even a toaster.
MGS V was that way too. Say what you want about kojima, i probably would agree. The thing is he does know his craft and takes his work seriously.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
If they need to communicate how a game "did well" it probably means the opposite.

the game costs 60€ on Steam so if you divide 27 million by 60 you get 450,000 copies, an absolute disaster. Valheim sold 5 million copies in 1 month.

Sentinel

Arcane
If they need to communicate how a game "did well" it probably means the opposite.

the game costs 60€ on Steam so if you divide 27 million by 60 you get 450,000 copies, an absolute disaster. Valheim sold 5 million copies in 1 month.
Do you realize that certain companies are required by law to do public yearly company reports?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nah, also you should consider regional prices, platform holder share, and other expenses if you want to extrapolate sales number from that.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
450K copies is a joke, not a "normal" joke, but an absolute joke.

This, what the fuck are ya'll blabbering about? That's a total hoot for a supposed tryple A planetbuster with a 100 million budget. Btw apparently they sold only 4 million PS copies which is a disaster for a game of this budget. Remember Tomb Raider was considered a failure when it sold "only" 5 million and even Kingdom Come, a Kickstarter game by a bunch of Slav hobos with a budget of two bottles of vodka, sold about 4 million by now too.

Btw other similarly high-profiled Sony exclusives are regularly selling 10-20 million.

Terenty

Liturgist
I don't think it was a typical Sony AAA enterprise ala Last of us, ghost of tsushima, god of war etc.

The team was very small around 100 ppl (and even smaller for the first year or so), and there were a lot of cut corners when it comes the game itself: only two enemy types, only two vehicle types, no day and night circle, almost no npcs walking around, the same copypasted bunkers everywhere etc. And it was developed roughly in three years.

So it's kinda difficult to say how much they really earned.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
No I'm simply saying that your way of doing extrapolation and comparing it to one of the most exceptionally successful products is wrong. I have nothing to say about Death Stranding itself.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

You missed Steam's cut, which would be between 30 and 20 %.
So it'd be around 600k instead

And on whether it's considered a disaster or not by the developer and publisher, I think we have to see what happens to Kojima and co in the near future

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It could even be a million and it would still be a failure.

The game even went on -50% sale during the winter sale, that smells like complete desperation.

Sentinel

Arcane
450K copies is a joke, not a "normal" joke, but an absolute joke.

This, what the fuck are ya'll blabbering about? That's a total hoot for a supposed tryple A planetbuster with a 100 million budget. Btw apparently they sold only 4 million PS copies which is a disaster for a game of this budget. Remember Tomb Raider was considered a failure when it sold "only" 5 million and even Kingdom Come, a Kickstarter game by a bunch of Slav hobos with a budget of two bottles of vodka, sold about 4 million by now too.

Btw other similarly high-profiled Sony exclusives are regularly selling 10-20 million.
How is it a failure for a game this experimental? lol, you guys are lunatics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom