Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Sanctuary

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've had a look and we appear to have no thread for this, which frankly amazes me as I've been playing this pretty much non-stop for two weeks and it's awesome. Technically, this is not the right forum as the developer is a german called Denis Sinner who apparently worked on M&M, but as it's a Pokemon/ Metroid derivative I'm guessing the mouthbreathers in GRPG would cry about it if it was in there. JRPG forum best forum anyway.

So the trailer gives you a good idea. 2D metroidvania, with areas gated by monster exploration powers. Some have fly, some have swim, some can break blocks etc etc. It gets pretty creative, there's lots of ways monsters can help you reach areas and lots of monsters (101 apparently). Where the game really shines is the turn based combat. During wild monster fights, it's 3 of yours versus 3 of theirs, from a stable of 6 active monsters you can have available that you can chop and change outside of combat as much as you like. There's no limit on the amount of monsters you can carry, but only the active 6 get experience. Each monster has 3, sometimes 4 skill trees and they tend to fall into groups of either shielders, healers/ buffers or dps. But on top of that there's magical and physical damage, element based damage with weaknesses and strengths as well as mobs that can strip debuffs and lay down DoT's. Each mob can have equipment, which can also be upgraded. Basically, there's a LOT of variety in the builds and teams you can create.

All that would mean bugger all if the combat difficulty wasn't pitched right. Thankfully, the dev has done a great job here. Normal fights aren't usually too much of a danger, but each monster combat has a grading of 1-5 stars. The more stars you get, the better rewards you get. Higher grading is awarded for speed of kill, weaknesses exploited, damage taken, stuff like that. This means that even in the humdrum fights you're always thinking of ways to optimise the combat to get quicker kills and higher grading. Eggs are given after combat that you can use to hatch new monsters and freshly hatched monsters are always around your main monsters level. There's also Champion fights with more powerful mobs at various stages who are available to re-fight in arena combat once you've beaten them once in the wild.

The real highlight of the combat though, is the keeper fights. These function as the main boss fights in the game and some of them can be really tricky later on. Here, it's 6 of yours versus 6 of theirs. They start off deceptively easy, but by the midway point you'll really have to have put some thought into your team to win. Stacking DPS won't get you very far in these. You'll need to build a team that synergises well together and provides solid defence as well as offence.

Some very early gameplay footage here to give you the idea:

Anyone else played this? I found it on Gamepass and glad I did because it's the kind of thing I'd probably pass over on Steam, but it's been the best game of it's type I've played in years. There are some quality of life features missing, like sorting monsters and equipment and annotating the map, but these are coming in an update I hear. Combat speed needs cranking up to x2 straight away and the journal is rather hidden away behind a 'talk' option in your main status screen but I still can't stop playing.

Falksi

Arcane
Really like the look of this, thanks for highlighting it.

Got shit loads of games to get through at the mo, but I'm adding it to the wishlist

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Really like the look of this, thanks for highlighting it.

Got shit loads of games to get through at the mo, but I'm adding it to the wishlist

Yeah it's really good. I think I'm in the final area now, with a few post-game challenges after that. It's not a long game, Gamepass doesn't display hours played (god knows why, I'm sure they collect data on it) but I'd say maybe 25 or 30 hours or so for a playthrough.

Thought a few more might have played it and chipped in with an opinion, but seems it's flown under most people's radar. Glad I posted then because I'm sure some people here would enjoy it.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played a bit of it. The combat didn't grab me after 7 or so hours, I found something that worked and it more or less just kept working. Considering all there was to the game is combat (metroidvania aspect is very simple), the most you get out of it is experimentation.

I don't normally do that since I find retraining and new build finding to be a tad cumbersome, so there wasn't much there for me.

Great if you enjoy a fairly polished JRPG type combat with a proper amount of buffs, debuffs, and monsters to train.

Reality

Learned
Pretty good, Final Area (specifically last 3 or 4 battles team battles) not the generic wild monsters - kind of feels like a different game because at that point you really do have to make a high-synergy build in order to deal with the whole "they put 9 debuffs on your party and 9 buffs on themselves in the first round" thing ... Some of the midgame bosses give a hint of this (I think the sun palace boss has an AoE poison spam team) but the game really doubles down for the ending (and the last 2 ranks of the practice battle guy) who really start to destroy you if you use a "what I want" mentality.

On the Plus side, many things seem viable, Charge teams, poison teams, chill teams, bleed teams, combo damage teams, etc - really one of the only things that doesn't work is BAD RPG "Tank N Spank" ... on the other other hand the aforementioned endgame design (10 debuff/10buff in first round) makes it hard not to justify putting the most EXTREME poison team, the most all-in combo team, etc - mixing and matching just can't really handle that stuff. It's really rather fun finding a "when you critical, you inflict bleed, when you inflict bleed you heal, when you heal, you gain buff" combo within a single monster by mixing their 4 skill trees. Very easy to lose track of how all three of your monsters interact because of how even the simplest earlygame monsters have such fun kits. (before level 20 though this doesn't shine through since you just go down to get the active abilities)

I would say
Presentation - pretty generic fantasy and story wise, don't expect interesting charathers (or even monster designs really)
Music - unexpectedly good in places
Mechanics - Having 4 skill trees for EVERY monster in the game might seem like a gimmick at first but it really matters for the endgame/postgame and the game has the decency to actually screen out players who don't really invest time into interacting with it's systems ---- Note that (at first) IS a lot of the game and you can muddle through about 3/4 areas with some clumsy team with no synergy before the game difficulty shifts.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Pretty good, Final Area (specifically last 3 or 4 battles team battles) not the generic wild monsters - kind of feels like a different game because at that point you really do have to make a high-synergy build in order to deal with the whole "they put 9 debuffs on your party and 9 buffs on themselves in the first round" thing ... Some of the midgame bosses give a hint of this (I think the sun palace boss has an AoE poison spam team) but the game really doubles down for the ending (and the last 2 ranks of the practice battle guy) who really start to destroy you if you use a "what I want" mentality.

On the Plus side, many things seem viable, Charge teams, poison teams, chill teams, bleed teams, combo damage teams, etc - really one of the only things that doesn't work is BAD RPG "Tank N Spank" ... on the other other hand the aforementioned endgame design (10 debuff/10buff in first round) makes it hard not to justify putting the most EXTREME poison team, the most all-in combo team, etc - mixing and matching just can't really handle that stuff. It's really rather fun finding a "when you critical, you inflict bleed, when you inflict bleed you heal, when you heal, you gain buff" combo within a single monster by mixing their 4 skill trees. Very easy to lose track of how all three of your monsters interact because of how even the simplest earlygame monsters have such fun kits. (before level 20 though this doesn't shine through since you just go down to get the active abilities)

I would say
Presentation - pretty generic fantasy and story wise, don't expect interesting charathers (or even monster designs really)
Music - unexpectedly good in places
Mechanics - Having 4 skill trees for EVERY monster in the game might seem like a gimmick at first but it really matters for the endgame/postgame and the game has the decency to actually screen out players who don't really invest time into interacting with it's systems ---- Note that (at first) IS a lot of the game and you can muddle through about 3/4 areas with some clumsy team with no synergy before the game difficulty shifts.

Yes, what I thought was the last area turned out to not be and I just hit the last one today. Running with a team of Dark Yowie, Archlich and Manticorb that has seen me through everything up to now, (with the Archlich slot being held by Stolby and sometimes Sparkle Knight at various times) but the last area is teaching me that this team ain't gonna cut it at the top. Those crit birds are smashing me a new one and that's before I've even got to the boss fights.

It's a shame it takes a good half, maybe 3/4 the game to get to that level of challenge as early on you can faceroll with just a load of DPS and the odd heal. I'm finding now I'm on the rather comprehensive wiki quite a bit looking for synergies that will get me that last few % to make the difference.

Great for theorycrafters.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
looks decent but i'm really burnt out on 2d sidescrollers.

would've preferred a completely top-down more conventional DQ Monsters-derivative kind of thing but I suppose I'm asking for a completely different game then, lol.

There was another indie Poke-derivative RPG talked about on here a while ago called something like "Siralim" that looked interesting.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
I finished this in the end, at least as far as beating the story. Still had plenty of Champion Monsters to 5-star in the arena and never bothered dabbling in the PvP but my eye was turned by the Dark Souls 2 thread and I started up a playthrough of that again. The reason for the post is just to say there's been an update for the Steam version (Gamepass is coming) that adds NG+ and an easy and a 'master' difficulty mode. Think the dev has a lot more quality of life features planned for the future.

Still maintain this is a very good game if this sort of thing is your bag.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jinn
My first impression of this game has been thoroughly good.
It is quite different from the obvious comparison in Pokemon. This game is not about ressource management, your mons heal to full after battle. Also team building is not that important, because only 3 of your mons fight at once, and you can choose which three will fight after seeing the enemy and his weaknesses and resistances. So it is a lot less about guesswork and risk. Elemental weaknesses also deal way less damage than in Pokemon, the multiplicator feels closer to +30% than to the x2.
So if this is not like Pokemon, what is it like then? The combat is more like that of a normal steam indie JRPG. Each of your monsters has a good selection of buffs, debuffs, heals and damage spells, both i single target and aoe. In a 3x3 format this can definitly lead to tactical decisionmaking. Not that it matters much, the game is super easy. I heard the difficulty picks up, but that is a farway off. So as a veteran JRPG player it should be possible to ironman clear this thing, which is always a bit disappointing. There is however a mechanic here that holds this game from falling apart due to low difficulty, your combat prowess gets graded in stars like in Final Fantasy XIII. While that mechanic didn't really do much in XIII as your powerlevel was capped and there was not that much room to experiment with strategy, here it replaces difficulty. You need to use the optimisation options to reach 5 stars consistently, which then increases loot quality, which makes grinding for monsters to recruit much more fun.
There is a fuckload of ways to increase your powers. Equip weapons and accessories, forge weapons and accessories to +1/+2 etc., 4-5 skilltrees for every monster with dozens of skillpoints to invest, consumables to permnanently raise stats. The game probably isn't all that difficult if you don't tap into this bottomless well of power upgrades, if you do any challenge evaporates. Definitly great for theorycrafters, every monster has at least 2-3 viable builds available judging from the skilltrees.
Now to get to the monsters, I think those are done well, but not perfectly. Gameplay wise the monsters bring a lot of diversity to the table. Due to the rather complex skills, and the available skills of a monster being on born instead of learned, every monster feels unique. As they bring a few exploration abilities to the table the uniqueness is increased, it is very fun to gather hidden loot behind vines which your lava caterpillar burns away from you. I hate that Pokemon took out HMs, and doing them in a metroidy way is a pretty fun way to do things. They don't (really) evolve however, they only have two pseudo evolutions which only add a non-unique passive and don't even change the sprite beyond a recolour. Understandable as evolutions add a lot of spritework to be done, but evolutions add a lot to a monster catcher, there is a reason that everyone, from Digimon to DQM to SMT, uses some degree of monster evolution of fusion system. Monster Santuary has a few evolutions, but they are more a gimmick. More would have made it more fun for me.
QoL features look good, you can turn combat to 4x speed which matters a lot.

I am still quite early in, but I enjoy it. Using the generic metroidvania leveldesign but locking the movement abilities behind Pokemons is a pretty good formula. See a vine you can't cut? Roam around till you find a monster with a sword, fight it until you can recruit it, cut the vine, stow it away or add it to your team if you like the moveset. Combat can have depth but is too easy, with 4x speed and the star grading after combat it still is fun. The gazillion ways to increase your monsters stats mean it has a neat trifecta of combat/exploration/stat crunching going on. I can see myself finishing this. Also the spritework is gorgeous.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Playing this for a couple of days now and really enjoying it. 2nd time I tried this and the first time the utterly generic graphics turned me off, but after playing for a bit now I really am starting to enjoy it. The biggest draw here really is the various skill trees the monsters have and crafting your three-monster team of annihilation with all the secondary buffs you can layer on and it's really fun trying out different things. Fights sometimes get a bit repetitive but after a couple of hours of not playing, I get the itch to go back to it.

Also has lots of secrets and stuff you have to backtrack to with abilities you get later (and all that stuff isn't marked on the large map, so you have to somehow mark it yourself).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Steam is having a sale on it. If you want all the bonus content (ost etc) buy it separately as the entire thing is 1/2 the bundle price. about $15 instead of $30.

no gog though. Go figure.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So far I've enjoyed most of what the game has to offer, though I run into the problem with the keeper battles and found a review on steam that perfectly describes what's wrong with them

The biggest gripe I have is that wild battles/guardian fights and fighting other keepers are fundamentally different to the point it's become extremely frustrating because they take different teams. Wild battles and guardian fights focus on a star rating system. The faster you kill them and the more health your team has left when you succeed, the better your star rating, and more stars equals more rewards (5* a guardian fight for an egg of that guardian). This encourages building a team that hits hard, fast, and often, and is where I think the game is at its best - many monsters cover this well, and allows for the flexibility the game boasts to shine through.

Keeper fights though...the farther you get in the game, the more these require a very specific kind of team, and that is very inflexible. Usually a team that cleanses debuffs well and applies their own rather than focusing on the damage. They become fights of attrition where hitting hard and fast is just straight up not a strategy. So what this means for you is you'll have a team of monsters that you go through the overworld with and try to build around the star system, only to get stonewalled by a keeper fight and need to go grind up a different team that can out-attrition them. It's a jarring shift and is my biggest gripe with the game

Also the game deploys a sort of level scaling that makes combat more and more grindy the more you explore, which is really dumb

SumDrunkGuy

Why does it look like a Disney game? Did you know that Disney is a big supporter of NAMBLA?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/814370/view/3199252729736175232

Steam Cards, Forgotten World & More
Dear Monster Keepers,

It's time for another update on Monster Sanctuary & our team at moi rai games! We have a lot of big news since our last update.
Steam Trading Cards
8e2970253f8833eaeb2cdac370d0db84b70be977.png

We released Steam Trading Cards for Monster Sanctuary today! Each one of them features completely new artwork made by Alexa & Isabel from Path of Pixels[pathofpixels.de], who also made the Monster artworks for the Monster Journals.

This means you get the following new goodies:
  • 8 Trading Cards. You earn Steam Trading Cards by playing Monster Sanctuary on Steam! Or by trading for them.
  • 7 Backgrounds (2 Uncommon, 1 Rare). You can get these by collecting badges, which you get from collecting the Trading Cards. Or by trading for them.
  • 6 Emojis (2 Uncommon, 1 Rare). You also get these by collecting badges, which you get from collecting the Trading Cards. Or by trading for them.
For more information how all of this work, you may consult the Steam Trading Cards FAQ.

Forgotten World Update
fedfc3adda0fa09664a2d5a52aa19b9a5627678f.gif

The next important topic is the development of the upcoming free DLC for Monster Sanctuary: Forgotten World! We have been hard at work at this update for the last months. In fact, throughout production, it seemed like we kept adding more and more to the update:
  • A new area, the Forgotten World, bigger than any other area in the game.
  • 10 new Monsters. 9 of them can be found in the Forgotten World, while one of them serves as a new optional Champion Monster in one of the earlier areas of the game.
  • 3 new game modes. All of them can be combined with each other and with New Game+. The existing difficulty modes (Casual, Normal, Master) will also work with these new game modes.
  • Level cap raised to 42 from 40.
  • Many new skills. All the new Monsters come with new skills of course, but we also added a lot of new skills to older Monsters. In fact, we expanded every single Monster's skill tree with new skill nodes - there's even some skill trees that were reworked quite a bit. We thank our beta testers for making many suggestions how old and beloved Monsters' skill trees could be improved!
  • Remade sprites & animations for 17 older Monsters. These were completely remade so that they would better match the art style of the later Monsters.
  • And more.
da9f34ba41cb4adc9508a2cc7e30d5d20fe68780.gif

We have been releasing snapshots of the new content on our social media platforms. If you want a closer look, join us on Twitter or Instagram[www.instagram.com]. We also recently did a developer stream with Gym Leader Ed. If you're interested in exploring the new area and the new game modes, give it a watch.

We are currently aiming for a release in June for all platforms.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I finished it but in the end, I wasn't enjoying myself a lot. Level cap at 40 + a weird implementation of level scaling makes for a chore later on. Early games is fun though

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, was meaning to thank you for the steam review you posted, Grauken. Off the wishlist it goes. Randomly generated shit + garbage level scaling = no way am I playing this ever. Really a shame how misguided these indie devs are these days, and how they're encouraged by morons who have no idea how certain systems are implemented - IE the 92% positive rating on steam.

EDIT: Well, I guess it's a matter of taste. The above design elements are cancers upon the industry, imo. I guess I'm quickly becoming the minority in that opinion though.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, was meaning to thank you for the steam review you posted, Grauken. Off the wishlist it goes. Randomly generated shit + garbage level scaling = no way am I playing this ever. Really a shame how misguided these indie devs are these days, and how they're encouraged by morons who have no idea how certain systems are implemented - IE the 92% positive rating on steam.

EDIT: Well, I guess it's a matter of taste. The above design elements are cancers upon the industry, imo. I guess I'm quickly becoming the minority in that opinion though.

CTRL+F 'Random' = 1 result, this post. I have no clue where you're getting 'Randomly generated shit' from, I remember nothing about this game being randomly generated. Grauken is quite correct when he says the keeper fights have a different approach than overworld fights and I can see how that'd put some people off. For me it added a level of difficulty that I thought the game needed, but different strokes etc etc.

If you're of the opinion this is some procedurally generated romp like Siralim you couldn't be more wrong. Sounds like you've already made up your mind but you've got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

Jinn

Arcane
have no clue where you're getting 'Randomly generated shit' from

I was under the impression the map was randomly generated. Can't remember where I saw that though.

EDIT: Yeah, researched a bit and the map is indeed handcrafted, which is great. Have no idea how I got my information on that screwed up. That's a point in its favor for sure. Still, the level scaling is a big turn off.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
To be a bit more even-handed, the level scaling really becomes a problem toward the end of the game, you most likely won't realize it happens until much later. The game has some other annoying stuff but I don't want you to get turned off the game completely just by my opinion. In the end, it often is better to check it out yourself, though since there's no demo sadly

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
Level scaling is an optional feature that one of the NPCs (by the beach teleporter) toggles when you ask for it?

Unless just talking about the default level progresion going to level 36/40 in final area, I guess...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Level scaling is an optional feature that one of the NPCs (by the beach teleporter) toggles when you ask for it?

Unless just talking about the default level progresion going to level 36/40 in final area, I guess...

That's a different level scaling. The game has multiple types of this. Beaten boss monsters for example are always scaled to your level (in the keep). Then, all monsters are scaled to your level when you meet them the first time, and then fixed.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/814370/discussions/0/1637543304843161398/#c1637543304843263050

The enemy scaling is based on the number of rooms you have discovered that have a Monster encounter inside of them. The more you explore, the stronger wild Monsters become.
This also means that, if you missed a path in one of the earlier areas, and later come back to it, the Monsters there will be at your level.

There's also a minimum level for some areas. The minimum level of Sun Palace is 18.

Also note that once a level is assigned to a room with monsters, they will stay at that level on that savegame. The idea of this system is to have similar experiences independent of the order the player explores the areas. (once you complete blue caves you are free to either explore stronghold dungeon, ancient woods or snowy peaks first). The level of your own monsters is not relevant for the enemy spawn levels.

That's because re-challenging Champions at the Stronhold scale to around your current level. It's a completely different mechanic than finding them in the wild.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/814370/view/3354633888450354046
Monster Keeper!

We released the new free Forgotten World DLC for Monster Sanctuary! This is a free update that will be downloaded automatically for anyone owning Monster Sanctuary (including anyone who already owns it as well as anyone who purchases it at any time in the future).

9e20479295d267d688237dd55e881c7b6e62a7c4.png

We have worked long on this update, and it's meant to be a love letter to our fans - we would not be here without all of your support! This update includes a new major area, ten new Monsters, and a ton of new features.

New area: Forgotten World

a159df8e4235ca948e7275d3bad49ba6901b0abc.gif

Discover the Forgotten World: a gigantic subterranean ecosystem that existed long before the Monster Sanctuary was created. Uncover the secrets of this area and the origins of this world.

• A new area, larger than any other area of Monster Sanctuary. Forgotten World is meant to be explored in the late game - either before you step foot in the Abandoned Tower, or after you finished the main story. You can find the entrance in the lower area of Horizon Beach. You will need a certain late-game exploration ability to enter this area.
  • Ten new Monsters. Nine of them can be found in the Forgotten World. One of the ten new Monsters is a new secret Champion in Blue Cave - which might help you enter the Forgotten World earlier.
  • New Monster type: Ancient. Many of the new Monsters have this type. There are also some older Monsters that have gained this type.
  • Level cap raised to 42 from 40.
  • All skill trees in the game have gained some new skill nodes. In some cases, we made extensive changes to older Monsters' skill trees.
  • A lot of new weapons and accessories.
  • Two new player costumes.
  • Some new rooms and treasure chests have been added to older areas of the game as well.
  • Some new exploration abilities have been added to the game as well. Some of the exploration abilities of older Monsters have been updated.
  • On top of three new Champion fights, there is a new super-secret Champion fight that can only be found by Keeper Masters. It is the most difficult fight in the game.
1288d57a7f20e86449489bc8a68db6f7c19af284.gif

But wait - there's more!

New Game Modes

166ed8d31415df9ae412a72b751494bc0299411c.gif

We added three new game modes for added replayability.

• Randomizer: All of the Monsters in the game are randomly swapped around. Mad Lords in Mountain Path, Blobs in Magma Chamber. It's pure madness. This includes all enemy Monsters in the game: including Champions and Keeper Monsters.
  • Bravery: Play with a limited selection of random Monsters to test your teambuilding skills. You start out with three random Monsters from across the Sanctuary. In each area, you will find a treasure chest (close to one of the entrances) which will have a random egg of one of that area's Monsters. You cannot gain eggs through any other means, except for certain story events.
  • Permadeath: Yeah, you read that right. If one of your Monsters ever gets knocked out in combat, it becomes defeated. A defeated Monster cannot be used in combat again - but you can still use its exploration ability. As soon as all of your Monsters become defeated, Permadeath becomes disabled for that save file (which means all of your Monsters can be used again).

You may combine any of these modes with each other, and with the already existing NG+ mode. You're also free to play these modes on any difficulty (Casual, Normal, Master). It is not required to beat the game to use these modes - you can turn on a setting in the options to use them.

66511527be79c13afb0b61a67aa1aff13e85e9db.gif

We hope to bring a Roguelike feeling to the game with these game modes. Combine all three of them for the ultimate randomized Nuzlocke experience! Doing that on Master difficulty is truly a challenge for only the most experienced Monster Keepers. One tip: Be sure to watch out for those Keeper Duels!

Sprite Reworks

eef22c3fa9fbc59e7e6c01d9bd69a03598cba9f6.gif

The art style of Monster Sanctuary changed quite a bit during development! We already updated the sprites of NPCs in the past. Now we chose to go back and update the sprites of some of the early Monsters in the game. We have updated 17 Monsters with completely redone sprites and animations. We also updated the sprites and animations for all Alchemist NPCs in the game.

New Legendary Keeper Duels

66ce71bcc87acaafc203a9d5e829f6552ac0e54a.gif

We added eleven new Legendary Keeper monuments to the game. These are based on the people who helped develop Monster Sanctuary. Each monument features a new fight - which means you may now fight the Monster teams of the developers themselves! Each also features new rewards. As with some of the other statues, you need to have the Keeper Master rank to gain the best possible rewards.

Quality-of-Life enhancements

9cf2ba928a78966674ef8ea42441c9c3cc9cc9b6.gif

We also added several quality-of-life features to the game that were commonly requested. This includes map markers, ten additional pages for more save slots, an exploration % display on save files, and more.

A note from the developers

We hope you will enjoy this new content, the new features, and all the changes to the game. We decided to release the DLC for free, since it was important to us that all of our playerbase gets access to the new content and also to avoid separating our PvP community into those who have the DLC and those who don't. A topic that came up a couple times during the last months was whether people could support us in any way. For that reason, we've setup a "tip jar" page for those who want to support us working on the DLC:

Visit our tip jar[monster-sanctuary.com]

Patch Notes

New Content
  • New area: Forgotten World
  • 10 new Monsters
  • 3 new game modes (Randomizer, Bravery, Permadeath)
  • New rooms added to older areas
  • 2 new player costumes
  • 6 new weapons
  • 7 new accessories
  • New item: Reward Box X
  • New item: Level badge 42 (Level Badge 40 automatically convert into those)
  • New super-secret Champion fight, only available after reaching Keeper Master

Minor Feature Updates
  • Level cap raised to 42
  • Skill trees of all Monsters have been expanded
  • Map Markers
  • 10 Pages with 9 saveslots each
  • Savegames show which mode it is
  • Savegames show % of the map completion on that save
  • The Champion challenge menu was refactored to have a pager and show two fully expanded columns of Champions per page.
  • Added Ring and Instrument tags to certain equipments

Monster Changes
  • ‘Spectral Wolf’ gains ‘Multi Offense’
  • ‘Spectral Toad’ gains ‘Multi Bulk’, ‘Mana Syphon' and 'Combo Buffing' loses ‘Multi Channel’, 'Attack Plus'
  • ‘Spectral Eagle’ gains ‘Multi Hybrid’
  • ‘Spectral Lion’ gains ‘Multi Life’
  • ‘Blob’ gains ‘Toxic Support’, ‘Dominance'
  • ‘Magmapillar' gains ‘Fiery Glands’, ‘Mana Plus’
  • ‘Rocky' gains ‘Defense Overload’, ‘Health Plus’. Gained the 'Ancient tribe'
  • ‘Vaero' gains ‘Shared Sidekick’, ‘Feather Hurricane’, loses ‘Typhoon Cut’
  • ‘Catzerker' gains ‘Assault Mastery’, ‘Critical Defense’ and ‘Situational Support’
  • ‘Yowie' gains Icy Fists, ‘Crit Chance Plus’, ‘Critical Healing’, loses ‘Critical Freeze’
  • ‘Steam Golem' gains ‘Load Up’
  • ‘Monk' gains ‘Power Healing’, ‘Auto Restore’, ‘Combo Buffing’ and ‘Double Strike’
  • ‘Grummy' gains ‘Restoring Shield’, ‘Combo Shielding’, ‘Disarming Shielding’, ‘Defense Plus’, 'Toxic Support' and ‘Aurora's Shield’, loses ‘Restore’, ‘Magic Plus’, 'Defense Plus' and ‘Full Restore’. Light Shift +1 Magic and Health Some actives have swapped positions
  • ‘Tengu' gains ‘Mana Funnel’, ‘Toxic Slam’, loses ‘Fire Shield’
  • ‘Fungi' gains ‘Spell Mastery’, ‘Mana Plus’
  • ‘Frosty' gains ‘Tenacious Barrier’, ‘Static Mass’ and ‘Static’. Gains 'Ancient' type.
  • ‘Minitaur' gains ‘Situational Support’
  • ‘Specter' gains ‘Vicious’, ‘Multi Glory’ and ‘Glorious Spark’, loses ‘Improved Glory’. Light shift changed to 'Debuff Variety'
  • ‘Crackle Knight' gains ‘Critical Base’ and 2x ‘Crit Chance Plus’
  • ‘G'rulu' gains ‘Mass Restore’, ‘Warlock Healing’, ‘Defense Plus’, ‘Full Restore’, 'Corrosion' and 2x ‘Combo Healing’, loses ‘Shield’, ‘Aurora's Shield’, 'Defense Plus'. Positions of Mass Restore and Acid Tempest swapped. . Light Shift gains +1 Magic and Health
  • ‘Mad Eye' gains ‘Occult Control’, ‘Defense Plus’
  • ‘Nightwing' gains ‘Buffing Heal’, ‘Attack Plus’. Base + 2 Magic
  • ‘Toxiquus' gains ‘Toxic Support’, ‘Multi Sidekick’, ‘Health Plus’ and ‘Nature type’
  • ‘Beetloid' gains ‘Electrolytes’, ‘Defense Plus’
  • ‘Druid Oak' gains ‘Static’, ‘Magic Plus’
  • ‘Magmamoth' gains ‘Situational Support’, ‘Crit Damage Plus’ and 'Cleansing Burn'. Dark Shift +1 base mana. 'Deathblow' is now in the 'Arcane Bolt' tree
  • ‘Molebear' gains ‘Wonder Potion’, ‘Improved Attack’ and ‘Impale’, loses ‘Stone Rain’. Both shifts +1 Health
  • ‘Glowfly' gains ‘Mana Healing’, ‘Anti Cascade’ and ‘Bolster’, loses ‘Combo Healing’. Mana Focus and Anti-Cascade positions swapped
  • ‘Goblin Brute' gains ‘Stick Focus’
  • ‘Goblin Hood' gains ‘Anti Cascade’
  • ‘Goblin Warlock' gains ‘Sidekick Support’, ‘Multi Barrier’ and ‘Teamplay’, loses ‘Combocast’
  • ‘Goblin King' gains ‘Strike Mastery’, ‘Health Plus’
  • ‘Raduga' gains ‘Gorgeous Plumage’, 'Maneki'
  • ‘Ice Blob' gains ‘Reckless Mending’, ‘Severe Cold’, 'Severe Infection' loses ‘Improved Sidekick’
  • ‘Caraglow' gains ‘Anti Cascade’, ‘Maneki’, ‘Bite’ and ‘Auto Heal’, loses ‘Shred’
  • ‘Aurumtail' gains ‘Wonder Potion’, ‘Augmented Shielding’. Gains 'Ancient' type.
  • Megataur' gains 'Situational Support', 'Buffing Heal', 'Power', 'Healing Shield' and 'Augmented Shielding' loses 'Sustain', 'Mana Bolster'
  • ‘Mogwai' gains ‘Magnitude’, ‘Multi Glory’, ‘Bounty’ and ’Combo Buffing, loses ‘Multi Sidekick’, ‘Teamplay’
  • ‘Crystal Snail' gains ‘Disarming Shielding’, ‘Buffing Shield’, ‘Outlast’, loses ‘Critical Break’. Gained the 'Ancient tribe'
  • ‘Akhlut' gains ‘Sea Rage’, ‘Crit Chance Plus’, ‘Cascade’, ‘Congeal’, ‘Situational Support’, ‘Hybrid Shield’, ‘Reckless Mending’, 'Assault Mastery' and ‘Adaptive Evolution’, loses ‘Water Affinity’, ‘Observe’, ‘Magic Powered Shield’, 'Mana Upkeep’, 'Ice Bolt' and 2x 'Precision'. Explore ability changed to Sonar Mount
  • ‘Blade Widow' gains ‘Mighty Boost’, ‘Devour’
  • ‘Ninki’ gains ‘Breaking Support’, ‘Mana Plus’
  • ‘Ninki Nanka’ gains ‘Breaking Support’, ‘Mana Plus’
  • ‘Vasuki' gains ‘Magic Proc’
  • ‘Kame' ‘Water Surge’, ‘Shared Might’ and ‘Static Glory’, loses ‘Tidal Wave’
  • ‘Sycophantom' gains ‘Smoke Screen’, ‘True Darkness’
  • ‘Imori' gains ‘Anti Cascade’, ‘Assault Mastery’
  • ‘Qilin' gains ‘Auto Heal’
  • ‘Sizzle Knight' gains ‘Full Defense’, ‘Blinding Sparks’, ‘Mentor’, ‘Burning Heat’ and ‘Crit Damage Plus’, loses ‘Fire Affinity’, 'Safecast’
  • ‘Koi' gains ‘Sea Rage’, ‘Glorious Spark’, loses ‘Acid Rain’. Both shifts get +1 base defense
  • ‘Tanuki' gains ‘Renewal’, ‘Augmented Shielding’, 'Maneki' and 'Smoke Screen' loses 'Double Impact'
  • ‘Kanko' gains ‘Mighty Boost’, ‘Channeling Sustain’
  • ‘Dodo' gains ‘Feather Hurricane’, ‘Multi Might’ and ‘Defense Plus’, loses ‘Ram Charge’
  • ‘Kongamato' gains ‘Sensitivity’, ‘Thick Skin’, ‘Firestorm’, ‘Strike Mastery’ and ‘Typhoon Cut’, loses ‘Improved Regeneration’, ‘Flame Strike’ and ‘Arcane Obliteration’. Light Shift +1 Defense. Gains 'Ancient' type.
  • ‘Ucan' gains ‘Forceful Might’, ‘Situational Support’
  • ‘Brawlish' gains ‘Spawn of Champions’, ‘Attack Plus’, ‘Defense Plus’ and ‘Warrior type’. Explore ability changed to Tackle
  • ‘Thornish' gains ‘Initial Poison’ and 2x ‘Toxin’
  • ‘Nautilid' gains ‘Sorcery Boost’, ‘Severe Infection’
  • ‘Silvaero' ‘Feather Hurricane’, ‘Strike Mastery’, loses ‘Full Aerial Assault’
  • ‘Elderjel' gains ‘Mana Healing’
  • ‘Manticorb' gains ‘Crit Damage Plus’
  • ‘Goblin Miner' gains ‘Improved Regeneration’, ‘Lifeline’, loses ‘Apprentice’
  • ‘Salahammer' gains ‘Combo Buffing’
  • ‘Lava Blob' gains ‘Hot to the Touch’, ‘Mana Funnel’, 'Severe Upkeep' and ‘Flamestrike’, loses ‘Explosion’
  • ‘Glowdra' gains ‘Void Flare’, ‘Static’, ‘Mana Plus’, ‘Fire Pillar’, loses ‘Restore’, ‘Healing Shield’, ‘Channeled Heal’ and ‘Aerial’. Gains 'Ancient' type.
  • ‘Draconov' gains ‘Heroic Party’, ‘Defense Plus’
  • ‘Dracogran' gains ‘Assault Mastery’, ‘Mana Plus’
  • 'Asura' gains ‘Heroic Party’
  • ‘Skorch' gains ‘Cleansing Burn’, ‘Mentor’
  • ‘Stolby' gains ‘Disease Control’
  • 'Ornithopter' gains ‘Improved Mana Regen’, 2x ‘Gold Sense’ and 'Buffing Restore'
  • ‘Polterofen' gains ‘Hot to the touch’
  • ‘Oculus' gains ‘Blinding Sparks’, ‘Tri-Mage Healing’, loses ‘Toxic Reaction’
  • ‘Mimic' gains ‘Glitter’
  • ‘Goblin Pilot' gains ‘Critical Base’, ‘Situational Support’. Skill positions of ‘Shield’ and ‘Fiery Shots’ swapped.
  • ‘Shockhopper' gains ‘Mana Healing’, ‘Health Plus’. Explore ability changed to ‘Shock Freeze’
  • ‘Targoat' gains ‘Neutral Affinity’
  • ‘Dracozul' gains ‘Sub Zero’, ‘Mana Plus’
  • ‘Troll' gains ‘Mana Symbiosis’. Explore ability changed to Corrosive Jabs
  • ‘Brutus' gains ‘Buffing Shield’, ‘Defense Plus’
  • ‘Mega Rock' gains ‘Defense Overload’. Gains 'Ancient' type.
  • ‘Argiope' gains ‘Venomous Fangs’, ‘Health Plus’, loses ‘Weakening Crush’
  • ‘Arachlich' gains ‘Critical Hex’
  • ‘Moccus' gains ‘Center of Mass’, ‘Buff Corruption’ and ‘Mana Plus’
  • ‘Promethean' gains ‘Wind Allegiance’, ‘Mentor’ and 'Wind Affinity' loses 'Neutral Affinity'
  • ‘Draconoir' gains ‘Situational Support’, ‘Defense Plus’ and 'Curse Transfusion'. Both shifts get +1 base attack and +1 base magic
  • ‘Spinner' gains ‘Critical Hex’. Explore ability changed to ‘Toxic Freeze’
  • ‘Plague Egg' gains ‘Warlock Healing’, ‘Weaken’
  • ‘Sutsune' gains ‘Backstab’, ‘Critical Hybridization’
  • ‘Darnation' gains ‘Shared Might’
  • ‘Thanatos' gains ‘First Impact’, ‘Crit Chance Plus’
  • ‘Rainbow Blob' gains ‘Hex’, ‘Critical Consistency’, 'Mass protector' and 'Mana Plus'
  • ‘Changeling' gains ‘Anti Cascade’
  • ‘King Blob' gains 2x ‘Health Proc’
  • ‘Worm' gains ‘Shocking Hit’, ‘Wonder Potion’
  • ‘Vodinoy' gains ‘Health Plus’, ‘Mana Plus’
  • ‘Aazerach' gains ’Smoke Screen’
  • ‘Diavola' gains ‘Bleed’, ‘Predation’, loses ‘Crit Chance Plus’
  • ‘Gryphonix' gains ‘Mass Mana Charging’
  • ‘Vertraag' gains ‘Brains over Brawn’, ‘Void Flare’ and 'Static' loses ‘Solar Burst’ 'Static Mass'. Gains 'Ancient' type.
  • ‘Mad Lord' gains ‘Occult Control’, ‘Defense Plus’
  • Removed ‘Fish type’, ‘Fish’ aura's are now ‘Aquatic’

Skill Changes
  • ‘Remunerate’ now has a 60% chance to trigger (instead of 100%)
  • 'Critical Heat', 'Critical Freeze', 'Critical Poison', 'Critical Break' and 'Recuperate' now work with 'Critical Healing'
  • 'Lifelink' and 'Assault Shield' now also increase the critical chance by 7%
  • 'Earthquake' lvl 3 now has 3 hits, but cost increased to 230 Mana (from 210 Mana)
  • 'Master of Time' now also affects 'Ancient' monsters.
  • 'Water Surge' both levels now cost 10 Mana more (Prev. 160-210 now, 170-220)
  • 'Power Focus' damage buff got reduced to 25% on lvl 5 (from 33%)
  • 'Divine Shield' shift skill now also grants 1 Charge stack when receiving a buff, but shielding reduced to 5% of Max Health (from 7.5%)
  • 'Life Wave' level 2 now does 2 heals on every monster (instead of one), level 3 has slightly increased health scaling (12% instead of 10%)
  • 'Dark Instinct' damage bonus increased to 20% (from 15%)
  • 'Bite' now gains an additional hit with each level (4 at max level) and heals once per level (4 heals at max level)
  • 'Forge' base shielding amount increased slightly
  • 'Emergency Channel' trigger threshold increased to 30% of Max Mana (instead of 25%)
  • 'Broken Immunity' chance to apply debuffs reduced to 20% (from 25%)
  • 'Curse Resistance' shift now also reduces the effects of negative stacks by 50%.
  • 'Rampage' now also increases the critical damage of beasts by 10%.
  • Meteorite Shower: Damage increased to 350% (from 310%) and shielding increased 700 + 150% attack (from 600 + 125% attack) and increased mana costs
  • 'True Darkness' is unique now.
  • 'First Impact' is now split into 40%/25% depending if the attack is single target or mass attack
  • 'Backstab' is now triggering for enemies that are above 75% of their Health (instead of full health), damage bonus increased to 30% (from 25%) and crit chance increased to 15% (from 10%)
  • 'Shocking Hit' and 'Severe Hit' now trigger when a hit deals 20% of enemies Max health (instead of 25%)
  • 'Taunt' now increases the damage the redirecting monster takes on a redirect by 15%.In PVP
  • 'Exploit' shield value increased to 10% (from 5%)
  • 'Shadow Proc' Every action applies an additional damage hit (75% Attack or Magic), shield (75% Defense), heal (7.5% Max Health) or a random Buff, depending on action type.
  • 'Fiery Punches' / 'Freezing Punches' / 'Lightning Punches' lvl 5 now cost 220 mana (instead of 230)
  • 'Counter Attack' damage reduced to 200% and 20% crit chance (from 250% + 25% crit chance)
  • 'Critical Apex' increases both Critical Chance and Critical Damage now, by 2.5% per hit.
  • 'Arcane Barrage' Damage increased to 650% total (from 600%)
  • 'Full Aerial Assault' Damage increased to 330% (from 310%)
  • 'Ice Breath' Damage increased to 575% (from 550%)
  • 'Polar Winds' Damage increased to 300% (from 280%) and healing increased to 700 + 120% magic (from 600 + 100% magic)
  • 'Tornado' Damage increased to 300% (from 270%)
  • 'Gemstone Barrage' Damage increased to 300% (from 285%)
  • 'Magnetize' redirection chance reduced to 15% (from 20%)
  • 'Necromancy' heal amount reduced to 20% (from 25%) and is a unique aura now
  • 'Revive' heal amount reduced on lower levels, mana cost increased
  • Blind miss chance increased to 35% (from 30%)
  • 'Extra Channel' chance increased to 15% (from 12%)
  • 'Buff Celebration' Charge stack amount increased to 3 (from 2)
  • 'Electrolytes' Buff remove chance increased to 75% (from 60%)
  • 'Critical Sorcery' critical chance increased to 6% (from 5%)

Item Changes
  • Hexing Rod now has a 50% chance to apply 2 Debuffs (otherwise it applies one)
  • 'Moon Sword' Attack and Magic values increased (320 on highest level, instead of 300)
  • 'Drum' now increases healing and shielding skills by 10% (instead of just healing skills by 15%)
  • 'Cauldron' now increases Mana Regeneration instead of Magic
  • 'Blood Vessel' now regenerates 4 Mana per Bleed on the highest upgrade level (instead of 5)
  • 'Fin' grants slightly less Health now (500 on the highest upgrade level instead of 600)
  • 'Grey Pearl' Gives 900 Health and 90 attack/magic/defense at +5 now (instaed of 850 Health and 80 attack/magic/defense)
  • 'Ocarina' now has 40 Mana Regeneration

Bugfixes and other changes
  • 'Charged rebirth' Now triggers 'Energy Conversion'
  • 'Worm Troop' Now correctly works with worms
  • 'Magic Barrier' Scales properly now
  • 'Sidekick Support' is now working as a non-unique aura
  • Keeper Dragoon now requires 19 Champion (instead of 18)
  • Keeper Master now requires 27 Champion (instead of 24)
  • When loading a savegame from pre 2.0.0.0, the exp that level 40 monsters collect towards getting level badges disappear temporarily. After they reach level 42, those exp should re-appear

Known bugs
  • Maneki works as a Unique aura instead of a passive like intended
  • Placing a Map marker does not lock the screen
  • Warhorn heals highest HP ally rather than lowest HP
  • Monster tamer's outfit still specify 101 monsters rather than 111
  • Champion hint 4 from your familiar is incorrect (Guiding to vodinoy instead of spinner)
  • Can teleport to the stronghold if you find a crystal shard before steam golem
  • Forcing controllor schemes through steam does not work for Map markers
  • Sorcerous boost's shielding value scales with Attack rather than Magic
  • Poison Eater in combination with Bolster applies buffs to allies, rather than itself
  • The Explorer outfit doesn't include skin tone options as intended
  • The Encounter Zosimos in the Sun temple doesn't have a shifted monster in the Randomizer game mode
  • Sort button at the Blacksmith only appears in English regardless of selected game language
  • Center of Mass on 'Druid Oak' Interacts Negatively with the UI if he takes the Force of Nature Ultimate
  • Combo Initiater Gives an extra hit regardless if that monster is acting as first
  • Frosty in the Stronghold misses its particles after completing the story
  • Rampede has a translucent toe in the monster Journal
  • Cannot donate bought eggs on a NG+ RNG File

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Only 2 levels raised to the cap? Oh come on!!

But it is on sale:

reg. $6.79
Deluxe $10.19

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom