Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Efe

Erudite
biggest dfference from your past purchase would be amd cpus heat less, cost less and perform better than intel now.
do keep in mind if you have the old intel = better sentiment

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Intel are SJW phaggots.

I’ve been looking AMD for awhile. My family’s in the car business - I know how to work this shit. Appreciate you taking care of me Efe.

Larianshill

Arbiter

Swen, if you are reading this - and I know you are reading this - look at all those clean, perfect pop-ups. Look at the tactical depth and the sheer agency this reaction system gives you. Isn't it something that should be in your wonderful game?

Elex

Arbiter
By this logic, a wizard who wears armor is based

Welcome to 5E btw, where, coincidentally, wizards can equip armor simply by taking a level in Fighter (or Cleric for that matter)
Level one cleric and then wizard. the same spell slot of a full caster. Level 2 fighter and then wizard is extremely strong too, lag a little in spell level but can cast 2 spell with action surge.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is why D&D multiclassing sucks. Munchkins just can't help themselves.
One of the issues is the classes' strengths are very front-loaded, especially the martials. You get a lot for just a few levels (if not just 1) in any martial class. I kinda suspect why they did this - getting to the good stuff faster gives you access to options quicker, discourages prolonged campaigns, and levels higher than 10ish. There's a reason why the vaaast majority of pre-written modules don't go above level 10 imo. It doesn't take a genius to recognize the system falls apart after that.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Warlock suffers the most from being front-loaded. Not only warlock is frontloaded, his best subclass, hexblade, is the most frontloaded subclass in the whole game. Meaning people dip just into warlock for two or three levels for a plethora of incredibly generous abilities, and then take levels in something else (paladin, sorcerer, bard), because the rest of warlock is pretty underwhelming.
In short, multiclassing was a mistake. I don't allow multiclassing between charisma-based classes at my table.

Yosharian

Arcane
It's pathetically easy to fix 95% of the problems multiclass brings to the table, and the vast majority of multiclass combinations are actually inferior to just staying pure anyway.

The real problem with 5E is fixing class balance overall, fixing bad subclasses vs overpowered ones, and fixing broken spells and spell combos. Especially late-game ones.

Hexblade is particularly easy to fix, but fixing Warlock itself isn't so simple.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane

Swen, if you are reading this - and I know you are reading this - look at all those clean, perfect pop-ups. Look at the tactical depth and the sheer agency this reaction system gives you. Isn't it something that should be in your wonderful game?

Dayum this shit looking clean. Sucks to wait for full release on these games

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm not sure they'll patch it either. It was there from day 1. The fact that it's still not fixed is worrying.

Even the most ardent larian cultists are starting to realize the clear ineptitude of larian and swen. Don't expect things to get any better. If you put a lot of pressure on them to fix this, there will be countless other problems that come up because a company foolish enough to make these mistakes will continue to make more. You can't stay ahead of them. No matter how many videos that pasty cunt makes where he talks about the virtues of beta releases and community communication. A 400+ company being shamed by a company with less than 30? Speaks for itself but I'll spell it out for you all anyways: larian is incompetent. 30 vs. 400. a mo-cap sex scene budget larger than most games. decades of experience. more resources than they could ever need. How could all of this result in the product they're putting out?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Dayum this shit looking clean. Sucks to wait for full release on these games

It's really slick to play, flows beautifully. It's so slick that even though it's turn-based, psychologically it almost feels like realtime.

Wish they'd get rid of those ugly grids though.

Harthwain

Magister
In short, multiclassing was a mistake. I don't allow multiclassing between charisma-based classes at my table.
To me it sounds more like the problem isn't allowing multiclassing per se - it's not making the class itself interesting enough across the board (and by "interesting" I don't mean "overpowered").

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's pathetically easy to fix 95% of the problems multiclass brings to the table, and the vast majority of multiclass combinations are actually inferior to just staying pure anyway.
Well, it depends on what your cut-off point is. Low level (maybe up to 7ish?) multiclasses are waaaay more powerful than their pure counterparts. I'm not exactly sure when pure classes overtake multiclasses because I really don't play D&D above 10ish level, but I'd say they are pretty powerful up then too.

Larianshill

Arbiter
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/mmd1ms/baldurs_gate_3_shouldnt_be_exactly_like_dd_5e/

A lot of the people playing this game are already fans of D&D, particularly 5e, for obvious reasons. And I see a lot of posts here trying to get the game to feel more like D&D. But should it? Should we try to get the game to be as close as possible to D&D? I don't think so.
Larian obviously loves the Forgotten Realms. The depth and flavor that love brings to the game is fantastic. But D&D is a very different game than anything they will produce. Half the fun of D&D is being able to say whatever you want, do whatever you want (with consequences of course), BE the hero. Literally. Your brain is directly transplanted into this mythical figure's body. The world is open to you. That's not something that ANY videogame can replicate. There will always be restrictions you can't overcome, boundaries you cannot cross.
But beyond that, there are mechanics in D&D that I don't think can be easily mimicked in a videogame. The best example of this is probably the Divination Wizard. For those of you who don't know, the Diviner gets to roll two d20's at the start of every day and keep those rolls. He can then substitute those rolls for ANY OTHER ROLL. Enemy rolls a crit? Nope! Substitute that nat 20 for one of the other rolls you have. Ally fails a critical save and is now mind controlled? Nope! Now he rolled a 19. It's a great ability.
Now, think about the mechanics of that going on behind the scenes. EVERY time ANYONE rolls a d20, the Diviner has to chose if he wants to substitute that roll for a different one. Most of the time, he doesn't want to. From a mechanical perspective, the Diviner is asked each time a d20 is rolled, "Wanna swap it?" That just won't work in a videogame. Now you could easily just say that the Diviner only gets to substitute the rolls you make in dialogue, but that is hugely limiting. Probably necessary though, because I don't think there is any way to ask the player EVERY TIME and not have it be super annoying and slow everything down.
Reactions are another example. Something happens and you decide if you want to react with X. Now, X could be an Opportunity Attack, Shield, Riposte, Counterspell, etc. There are a lot of reactions in 5e. Are you going to stop the action whenever that happens and ask the player "Wanna do something?" You could, but that would be very tedious. Ultimately, I think it will just HAVE to work differently.
When you think about it, every D&D game has had to compromise staying true to the source material for the sake of a better experience. The original two Baldur's Gates did it. Neverwinter Nights and NN2 also. Things like real-time combat (or as close as they could), and attacks of opportunity working differently were decisions the designers made because they thought it would make the game better. And I think it did.
I'm all for a game that is based in D&D. The guys over at Larian have shown their passion and dedication to the world of the Forgotten Realms and I love it. But differences will have to happen. We can't ask that every single aspect of the game be the way D&D 5e does it. It just won't work.
And maybe that's a good thing. I have played a lot of D&D already. Something similar but with that Larian spin sounds great to me. Yeah, I may still get slightly annoyed whenever my Magic Missile which is supposed to be unerring hits my friend in the face instead, but I'll get used to it. I want to see what their take on D&D is, not just play more D&D.
P.S. Old Firebolt = best Firebolt

This guy's feedback is worth to Larian as much as mine.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
His argument is little retarded, don’t you think? He basically tries to proof that BG3 shouldn’t try to be as close to D&D as possible because of very specific example which nobody gave a fuck about.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Oh, definitely. Solasta is an entire game worth of refutations to his retardation. He does have a small point, though, Portent would definitely be tricky to implement. Any roll, from ally or enemy, could be a trigger to it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There's a reason why the vaaast majority of pre-written modules don't go above level 10 imo. It doesn't take a genius to recognize the system falls apart after that.

Why? You mentioned in other thread a stronghold. Do you know why the book recommend strongholds for upper mid level characters? Cuz makes sense that when a adventurer got a lot of powerful spells, gear, magical knowledge, gold, he would become akin to a IRL noble. But this talking about sword coast. In other places of D&D verse, the same doesn't happens.

Veiled Alliance on Dark Sun, is a group of mid level preservers and some high level preservers which uses guerrilla warfare, infiltration and etc against the sorcerer king cuz they have no chance against Borys in a direct attack. A lot of Dark Lords on the realms of dread are pretty terrifying for even a high level party. Meredoth minions can be a quite threat to high level parties. And this not talking about abyss, the city of embers and etc.

Hell, Mystara(Serraine) even has rules to play as monsters. You start with -3 million XP if you wanna play as a Sphinx. And also rules to ascend to a Immortal. You need to be lv 30+ and do a lot of things. High level CAN work as longs you don't stay in sword coast killing untrained bandits and kobolds.

Multiclassing in 5E completely break the game, but for efficiency you have to. It's extremely easy to find a good roleplay reason to mix cleric and wizard.

That depends on the setting. IMO, you should't be alloed to multiclass magical classes. Why? Because one get his power by study. Other by devotion. The origin of his powers should enter in a conflict.

IMO multiclass should be something like : A Fighter who become extremely religious by some story reason can pick Paladin as a multiclass. A Barbarian who had his village destroyed by a magic user and fleed to the cities where he had formal training, now can get levels as a fighter or as a "mage slayer". Multiclass should't be about a lawful good paladin someday deciding to conjure a chaotic evil demon and make a pact, so he can get warlock stuff cuz he wanna max his DPS or something like that.

Elex

Arbiter
This is why multiclassing is an optional rule in 5e: the DM can easily say no to prevent cheese and only allow when know the players. Same for feats.

Yosharian

Arcane
This is why multiclassing is an optional rule in 5e: the DM can easily say no to prevent cheese and only allow when know the players. Same for feats.
Yeah why bother creating a balanced system with lots of interesting and fun options for multiclassing when you can just say 'no'?

Brilliant.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
is an optional rule in 5e:

Every rule is "optional", the DM can refuse to follow any rule or even homebrew his rule if he sees fit. If he says "no create food/water in my survival setting" that is it.

Yeah why bother creating a balanced system with lots of interesting and fun options for multiclassing when you can just say 'no'?

Multiclassing is not balanced and IMO goes against the idea of classes ie - specialized "professions".

If I was a DM playing 3.5e and a player wanna to get levels in red wizard of thay, I would force him to go to Thay and study in the red wizard's academy. If the gametakes place here, no problems, if not, I would make his character a NPC for few months and let he play another character in the meanwhile. Someone becoming a red wizard by just killing some mobs makes no sense IMO.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
If I was a DM playing 3.5e and a player wanna to get levels in red wizard of thay, I would force him to go to Thay and study in the red wizard's academy.
Personally, I'd work a Red Wizard NPC into wherever the campaign's taking place and have the player apprentice to him. Of course, he'd have to join the Red Wizards and follow his Master's commands, with all that entails. Choices and consequences, without taking away the character entirely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom