Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
D5j3p3y.png

I had never realized until today, that cover is signed by Boris Vallejo!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
New World Computing hired Larry Elmore to illustrate the cover of Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven, followed by Boris Vallejo for Might & Magic VII: For Blood and Honor, and Elmore again for Might & Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer.

3521-might-and-magic-vi-the-mandate-of-heaven-windows-front-cover.jpg
112872-might-and-magic-viii-day-of-the-destroyer-windows-front-cover.jpg

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Lemonade Stand on a Commodore Pet. Snuck away from the field trip so I could play that motherfucker until they came and found me.

Missing recess well worth it.

GreyViper

Prophet
It was the glorious 90s, the CD rentals with VHS rentals just started booming. One of these places in a bathhouse manned by a Russian guy called Oleg had this thick catalog full of different game and move CD selections. In there I stumbled across the one that was called Greatest 200 RPG collection.
So I went through an orgy of RPG exploration from EOB series, Strhads Possession, Dark Sun, Dragon Lance, Pools of Radiance, Realms of Arkania series, Blood Omen, Ultima Series, Dungeon Hack to Dungeon Master. The journey was full of wonder and discovery with frustration at old copy protection systems (GOG was not a thing at that time). Also honorable mentions to Faery Tale Adventure 2: Halls of the Dead that really does not get mentioned much.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Lemonade Stand on a Commodore Pet

I ran into this on an Apple II at school as late as the 1990s. It's really a classic game because even as a kid it teaches you to have a gut feeling for how supply and demand works within about 15 minutes.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ocarina of Time on the n64. Never beat it. There was also Oracle of Seasons for the gameboy. Didn't beat that either - actually, I think the only Legend of Zelda game I beat, was Wind Waker. Puzzles were hard in the Zelda games. Plus, I was a very stupid child. Still love the Legend of Zelda games. They were a big part of me growing up. From time to time, I emulate Oracle of Seasons and pretend I'm a kid again.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Ocarina of Time on the n64. Never beat it. There was also Oracle of Seasons for the gameboy. Didn't beat that either - actually, I think the only Legend of Zelda game I beat, was Wind Waker. Puzzles were hard in the Zelda games. Plus, I was a very stupid child. Still love the Legend of Zelda games. They were a big part of me growing up. From time to time, I emulate Oracle of Seasons and pretend I'm a kid again.

When we couldn't finish a game in the 80s-90s: badass game, you recommend it to your friends.

When we can't finish a game in 2021: waste of time, frustrating, poor balance, negative review.

Sad times!

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
It was the year 1990 and I, as a 12 year boy, traveled 800km alone by the train to my brother's college. I wasn't afraid of that at all. It was an adventure. But he presented me this game Eye of the Beholder and insisted I play it. This, I was really scared of. I hade nightmares. really. Because these little buggers kept jumping into the screen without a warning, how evil they looked, how ominious the red color theme was... Everything was very atmospheric back then. Much later it became one of my dearest reruns - EOB1-2, played 6x :D

Eye-of-the-Beholder.png
Have you tried EOB3? I think it is ok. EOB2 was my love, I didn't see the first game until later. Also what do you think of Lands of Lore?

Lands of Lore 1 is a true piece of art of its time. But rly, this game is ageless. Awsomely drawn, riddles to solve, secrets to find, character progression present, story well graduated, combat very ok (for its sub-genre)... I've only praises for it.
I really liked EOB1 and especially EOB2. But as for the EOB3 - that's a strange egg. It aspired to be an open-esque atmospheric game with the feeling of an explorational freedom, but I think it sadly achieved the opposite. It felt empty, clueless and chaotic. I've tried to play it 3x and never got into it. Maybe it's just my feeling, idk. What did you like about EOB3? Maybe you'll inspire me to play it again :D

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
for me it was final fantasy 4 for the snes. i remember renting it, seeing some person's save file of 50+ hours, loading that and just being in awe of what i was seeing. i then started my own quest to get that far, and soon later i believe i discovered chrono trigger and well, that was the love story of my childhood there. 2 great rpgs that hooked me on the genre for life.

Semiurge

Cipher
Oblivion, because

It was the year 1990 and I, as a 12 year boy, traveled 800km alone by the train to my brother's college. I wasn't afraid of that at all. It was an adventure. But he presented me this game Eye of the Beholder and insisted I play it. This, I was really scared of. I hade nightmares. really. Because these little buggers kept jumping into the screen without a warning, how evil they looked, how ominious the red color theme was... Everything was very atmospheric back then. Much later it became one of my dearest reruns - EOB1-2, played 6x :D

Eye-of-the-Beholder.png

Those are dungeon crawlers, not RPGs, despite utilizing the AD&D rules.

NerevarineKing

Learned
If we count action RPGs, my first exposure to RPGs was around 2004 with Kingdom Hearts 1 (PS2). This also introduced me to Final Fantasy and I proceeded to ask for FF1+2 (GBA) and enjoyed that quite a bit. After playing JRPGs for a couple years, I got Morrowind for Christmas one year and my love for RPGs deepened a lot more.

Calm

Novice
Oblivion - scarred for life ever since.

But the real answer is actually almost certainly Wizardry 7 - I was just too young to know what was happening at the time..

Semiurge

Cipher
Those are dungeon crawlers, not RPGs, despite utilizing the AD&D rules.
Back in my day, that's exactly what you did at the table with friends. And it was called RPG! *Shakes his fist like an old man.*

But you only controlled one character per game, right? Then indeed you were roleplaying. EoB has no main character so it's a dungeon crawler with rpg mechanics.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Little Big Adventure.

It's more of an action adventure than an RPG but for me as a lad in the 90s, it was magical. We didnt speak a word of english so me and my brother would yell for our father to come and read to us any time dialogue would play, until he got so annoyed with us that he got us a dictionary. It didn't help that all the names and terms used in the game were nonsensical made up terms either.

To start the game we would type the DOS command, meticulously copied from a printed out note our father had made for us and I feelt like we were learning some secret arcane language.

We got about half way through the game by trail and error, exploring every nook and cranny, and testing every possible action we could think of and it was amazing. The idea that a world could exist in a game like this, and the scope of the gameplay was mindblowing to me.

Ladonna

Arcane
But you only controlled one character per game, right? Then indeed you were roleplaying. EoB has no main character so it's a dungeon crawler with rpg mechanics.

Goldbox games, Wasteland games, I could list hundreds of games that apparently wouldn't be CRPG's under your rule system. Basically any game where you create a party, where you don't have "one main character". Whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom