Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
thanks for reminding me that int barbarians and might wizards are a thing

Why shouldn't they be? Wizards have to be frail and sickly for you too? And Barbarians dumb as bricks?

ERYFKRAD I think he insulted you.

Bara

Arcane
Why shouldn't they be? Wizards have to be frail and sickly for you too? And Barbarians dumb as bricks?

ERYFKRAD I think he insulted you.

No true Barbarian could ever be insulted by mere words. Though it's debatable if thats because they don't understand them some times.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
PoE1 and PoE2 are the best cRPGs of the past two decades.
People are hating it because theyre fuckwits.

You're equating cRPG with isometric RPGs which is IMO nonsensical but so far I like PoE a lot. If it had TB combat it'd utterly blow D:OS out of the water.
dumpsterfire's turn-based combat is garbage
But that's some weird TB mutant spliced on the original RTwP system no?

Yes!

That's stupid, this sort of thing can never work.

I disagree. I think it could have worked beautifully. Quite easily too. But they needed to go for personal initiative, with each action taking a specific amount of time (similar to RTwP) - rather then universal rounds (with 1 action per round, regardless of type - barring OP Free Actions) they went with (and made half the game mechanics and balance decisions meaningless in the process).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I liked high Perception/Mechanics Rogue for MC. Durance (and Interdiction) are a must. I also like picking up Eskimo chick early as I can.

Cipher is probably most unique and powerful class so also makes good MC.

I second the cipher advice. Most unique class, very powerful and fun.
My other advice would be a barbarian (high Int! :P ) - simply because how fun are the interactions of various special weapon properties with his aoe Carnage ability (like proning 5 enemies in 1 swing, while also dealing heavy damage to them).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Sorry bro but that's dumb. I'm sure there were nerdy Vikings and I can imagine chad apprentices in a Wizard school. But classes in RPGs are meant to be archetypes. That's why they're fun to roleplay. If a wizard looks like Arnold in Conan, swinging his sword....then what exactly makes him a wizard? If a barbarian is a wheezy beta with a receding chin who can't lift an axe but reads all the time...what exactly makes him a barbarian?

Roleplaying is not real life. In fact that's the reason people roleplay.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Congratulations, you’ve reified the dumbed-down shit that free-to-play MMO suits tried to replace traditional cRPGs with, destroying their own genre.

Fishy

Savant
(if you won't fall into trap of NPCS WITH GOLDEN NAMEPLATES), it's just later you realize wtf is going on.

This. So much this. I even wonder if people complaining about text and lore dump didn't actually fall into that trap.

Skipping gold nameplates (honorary mention for tombstones) is the biggest QoL improvement you can get in this game.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
(if you won't fall into trap of NPCS WITH GOLDEN NAMEPLATES), it's just later you realize wtf is going on.

This. So much this. I even wonder if people complaining about text and lore dump didn't actually fall into that trap.

Skipping gold nameplates (honorary mention for tombstones) is the biggest QoL improvement you can get in this game.

I've read a two or three of them before I got it. Total crush of immersion. Fucking KickStarter.

cr0mag

Novice
Congratulations, you’ve reified the dumbed-down shit that free-to-play MMO suits tried to replace traditional cRPGs with, destroying their own genre.

What are you even trying to say here? That you'd rather run a group of 6 paladins than a diverse group that can cover all the bases

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
people who like int barbarians and might wizards please reply to this post so I know who to ignore

Reporting in.
I love Int Barbarians from PoE1. Best barbarians in crpgs, ever.

Might wizards are okay also. Particularly Helwalker Monk Wizards with 35 Might from PoE2.

Last edited:

Piotrovitz

Savant
Any reason loading takes forever in this game?

Wait, lol, they didn't fixed it in the end? Holy shit.
Nope. Only an SSD fixes it.
I don't have SSD myself (that's the reason why I haven't played Deadfire much, the loading times are atrocious), but with PoE1 IE Mod helps greatly, as it gives you an option to disable autosave every time you enter new area, which cuts down loading time sigificantly and makes the game totally bearable.

Highly recommend this mod for everyone, as it has an xp nerf option, so you will not hit the level cap by earning obscene amounts of xp from the bounties.

Piotrovitz

Savant
While I agree that early game is the the best part, I don't understand why lots of people are saying that Act 2 and reaching Defiance Bay is beginning of the downfall.

The city itself, along with the quests there, is designed pretty well, plus the newly opened wilderness areas are also ok.
The downfall starts in Act 3, where it's obvious and in your face that devs were rushing to finish the game - best example are the quests in Twin Elms, where in one you kill dwarves in red dungeon, and in other you kill elves in blue dungeon - epitome of laziness.

Act IV is basically nonexistent and devs clearly didn't give a shit about anything at this stage, which lead to anti-climatic ending.

WM1&2 are top notch, but everyone knows this already.

Also, I don't get the complaints about extensive lore-dumps. Everyone that's shitting on PoE is acting like in each conversation you are bombarded with blocks of text about NPCs family history and the state of local agriculture. I don't get this feeling at all - dialogues are rather short, and the only lore dumps are simple and crucial ones - world's geography, some metahpysics (the Wheel, souls etc), major events (i.e Saint's War), gods, factions, etc. No one is forcing you to interact with golden plate NPCs, which seem to trigger people the most. On my first run, after checking few of them I figured out that it's meaningless and ignored them completely for the rest of the game.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The city itself, along with the quests there, is designed pretty well, plus the newly opened wilderness areas are also ok.
The downfall starts in Act 3

Yes, the city is beautiful (even if kinda shallow), but it tries to copy Athkatla too much and Act 3 is basically BG2 reskinned (but without cool things like Underdark or Githyanki encounter, and, oh my God, what a wonderful game BG2 was comparing to this shiny shit).

Piotrovitz

Savant
But classes in RPGs are meant to be archetypes.
And why, exactly?

People are whining about lack of innovation in cRPGs and same tropes being rehashed over and over again, but when the Soyer comes up with something new and different, which can lead to some interesting char builds, same people are instantly triggered. Seems like the irrational hate for Balance Man is clouding some people's ability to be open minded.

Codex Year of the Donut
And why, exactly?

People are whining about lack of innovation in cRPGs and same tropes being rehashed over and over again, but when the Soyer comes up with something new and different, which can lead to some interesting char builds, same people are instantly triggered. Seems like the irrational hate for Balance Man is clouding some people's ability to be open minded.
"we're going to have barbarians except they use intelligence! absolutely nothing else in the game will change and it will play exactly the same as if they used strength!"
that's not innovative

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And why, exactly? People are whining about lack of innovation in cRPGs

Because turning barbarians into wheezy nerds is not innovation, it's the same boring, embarrassing "subverting of expectation" schtick that millennial Dunning-Kruger sufferers like Rian Johnson consider high art.

Piotrovitz

Savant
"we're going to have barbarians except they use intelligence! absolutely nothing else in the game will change and it will play exactly the same as if they used strength!"
that's not innovative
Sure it's not a game-changing innovation, but still, it's a novelty in cRPGs and one has to acknowledge this.

Also, depending on investment in high INT or high STR, you play and gear up your barbarian differently - saying that it doesn't make any difference is huge simplification.

Codex Year of the Donut
that's not innovative
Sure it's not a game-changing innovation, but still, it's a novelty in cRPGs and one has to acknowledge this.

Also, depending on investment in high INT or high STR, you play and gear up your barbarian differently - saying that it doesn't make any difference is huge simplification.
That's not innovative, it's subversive. The game still treats high-INT as book smarts and high-Might as a bruiser.

Want to play a wizard that does a lot of damage? Hope you enjoy your dialogue looking like this:
pillars-of-eternity-threaten.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom