Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mon-Yu - Experience Inc's next dungeon RPG with cutesy graphics

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The official title is Monster wo Taoshite Tsuyoi Ken ya Yoroi wo Te ni Shinasai. Yuusha Tai ga Maou wo Taosu Sono Hi wo Shinjiteimasu. (Defeat Monsters to Get Strong Swords and Armor. We Believe in the Day the Heroes will Defeat the Demon Lord.)

I was reluctant to make a thread about this game because of the art style, but since they say this will be a more difficult game than their previous game... well why not.

Early gameplay from livestream. They're using dev mode (all maps are revealed, overpowered party) for demonstration purpose:

Game details from the stream, shamelessly copy & pasted from Gematsu: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/monyuu-13-minutes-of-gameplay-new-details

First, here are the new details:
  • Experience is currently not thinking about porting the game to other platforms. However, if they find a company that will port the game for an overseas release, then they may release it on platforms other than Switch.
  • The game is a dungeon RPG return to roots. Experience wants to reproduce the excitement and fear induced by the original Wizardry. It is a difficult game—probably more so than Undernaughts: Labyrinth of Yomi. You will die a lot.

• You can create your own characters, including their name, job, and appearance, but the bonus points allotted to their stats are completely random. You can redo character creation as much as you like, so if you want a strong character, keep at it until you get high bonus points. The chances of getting 20 or more bonus points is about one percent.
  • There are no severe death penalties such as losing your characters, losing your money, or halving your experience points.

• Eternia (left) is the name of the queen of the fairy realm who spoke in the prologue. Tschugge (right) is navigator-like manager of the Adventurer’s Guild where the heroes stay.

• Frey, the boss character pictured in the image above, is one of the seven demon kings. There is a boss on each floor of the dungeon. How you defeat boss characters and how you clear dungeons are more intricate than ever before. You will need think hard about how to win.
  • There is a level cap. This is the type of game where you have to fight within that limit.
  • Battle encounters are symbol-based. Some enemy symbols move, including strong enemies. There are various types of enemies that move.
  • There is no dungeon map at the start. By doing certain things in the system, the map will unlock. After the map is unlocked, you can autopilot. But you will have to map it on your own until you find the map.
  • There is a function that evaluates the player’s skills after the seven demon kings are defeated. There are various valuation criteria, such as not dying, clearing the game on the lowest possible level, and so on. It is a game you play to achieve these feats and receive a good evaluation. Doing so will net you rewards such as items. The best reward is that you will always receive a chest one rank higher. In other words, you can easily obtain better equipment by getting a good evaluation.
  • Character level does not increase automatically, rather players must spend the experience points they accumulate to increase their level on their own. Skills and jobs are similar to Undernaughts: Labyrinth of Yomi.
  • There is an auto-save function. There is also a manual save, so you can save where you want, load, and redo.
  • The more you use equipment, the higher its enhancement value becomes.
Monyuu is due out for Switch this summer in Japan.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Just give me one fucking dungeon crawler that doesn't look like 08/15 cutsie weeb shit.

God damnit, Japan.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Just give me one fucking dungeon crawler that isnt 08/15 weeb shit.

God damnit, Japan.

Well developer's latest game, coming west as Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi, looks much less animu.

YRNmfg0.jpg

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Experience looking to bank in the lack of Etrian on switch, from the artstyle to some of the gameplay elements are heavily inspired by it, there's a severe lack of cute little girls in most crawlers so i'll be picking this up, i enjoyed the artist previous work. Dungeon crawlers are really basic in it's dialogue so i think that with my current jap level i will be able to play it without any problems.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I want both, I got nothing to prove.
Experience has a history of half baked stuff though so I'll only try it out if I hear good things.

I hope it turns out well though, their games are certainly looking better each time.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i tbh love cutesy graphics. something like etrian odyssey with its relaxing music and cute characters just somehow feels relaxing. even if the cute deer will impale you in a second.

Tigranes

Arcane
I just wish if they have to go the animu girls route for the characters, then they follow through and flower up the environments. It's really really weird to see Dragon Age or Skyrim style interiors and then puyo puyo portraits.

Anyway, sounds like a kind of Etrian lite/knockoff, which could be good if systems are sound.

grimace

Arcane
Do men with wombs play these cutesy aesthetic 'games'?

Who is the target audience for this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom