Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
You're right, they should call it equine urine instead.
Yes. Speaking of things that never made sense to me, it's utterly bizarre how you get attacked by mythical, never seen before creatures, and you can't cut off one of their heads and bring it to the council before being explicitly tasked to do so. Surely if there's an hour to short rest, there's five minutes to cut off a head.
Then again, I don't really play this game for its story.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
"This obnoxious liquid smells awfully bad! Jeeves, take it away!" *waves hand dismissively*

Bara

Arcane
Wow this feels faster than I expected.

DEV UPDATE #29 - NEXT STOP, FULL RELEASE!

Hello there folks,

I hope you're all enjoying the Spring Update very much, as we are now headed for the final release of Solasta: Crown of the Magister! "And when exactly would that be" I hear you asking - my most humble apologies, this information will have to stay secret... for a bit longer! Keep an eye on the horizon, for you will soon know the date (for you worrywarts out there, I can tell you that it will indeed be this year). Now, for something you were all waiting for... cats!

6iKWZa7iZL2FUkz6TTouBsO2rJTgEYVjBEyQz6PV.jpeg

A perfect fit. On a sadder note, Linus (cat on the right, last Dev Update) passed away peacefully last week. Sleep well my friend!

Onwards, to version 1.0!

As stated in the introduction, our next big update will be the full release of Solasta: Crown of the Magister - meaning we'll be leaving Early Access once and for all! Thanks again to all of you who joined us during this journey and whose feedback help us make a better game - you guys (and gals!) are the MVPs.

Here is a reminder of what you can expect from Solasta at launch:

• The full campaign of Solasta: Crown of the Magister
  • Additional side quests, including a particularly difficult one!
  • Full orchestral OST - you might have already spotted a few orchestral tracks in the Spring Update
  • An increase of the max level cap from 8 to 10, with level 5 spells
  • An update to the Dungeon Maker Beta
  • Steam Workshop implementation to make Custom Dungeon sharing easier
  • Digital Kickstarter Rewards for our Backers
  • Supporter Pack Digital Rewards (special dice)
But the train doesn't stop there!

• Free Post-launch Sorcerer DLC, which will unlock the Sorcerer class to everyone (not just backers)
  • Physical Kickstarter Rewards, planned to be sent the months following the release of Solasta 1.0
  • More info later about our post-launch plans - we've got a game to finish first!
Bh9e7olk6xbFQN9aXzrf84caWmvsO1rQ0GfrSvBV.png

A small preview of the Ruins of Carillach Gar adventure included in the Kickstarter Adventure Box (physical rewards are no longer purchasable)

Peeking Behind the Dev Curtain

I'm sure you're here for more than words. After all, we've got you used to seeing progress, not just reading about it and hoping all of it is true - so here is a sample of what we've been working on the last few weeks!

D3iqG0zUU6YSBvup1lJK0ztFvwHFUubNvqcQ342S.jpeg

Kickstarter Backers Monument of the Dead

jsHXhnAnul7ODteFARIVTpzCGVN1yrJoJHhEL75b.png

Remember that Concept Art from a month ago? Yep, it's a new in-game level now!

XtBISfmcpMxLJYdwHAgzfEWHlk8oI4eF7zGbhWoS.png

Another upcoming level, also based on a previous Concept Art.

gXdBNrmZUf4CTjg5gl2YhdUwuh5OVxQwK2bft9bj.png

Additional Random Encounters Maps are on their ways as well!

42EA5SJjCU6VWMRsRWfGSg3PjTIVtyVETMEGtekJ.jpeg

Our talented 2D Artist is still at it making gorgeous loading screens for every new level we add to the game

Spring Update & Known Issues

For those who may not use the Steam Forums, know that there is a thread listing the Known Issues with the Spring Update version of Solasta over there. And although we'd love to tell you that another hotfix is on the way, it unfortunately won't be so as working on additional patches would put the final release of the game at risk. Now you might be wondering, why is that? Well, first you have to remember that we're a team of... less than 20 people.

Second, if you ask players how they think a hotfix is released, you'll often get the following:

• Players find a bug, report it
  • Devs fix it
  • Devs release the hotfix
  • Players download the patch, bug is fixed, woohoo!
Well that was pretty fast. So why exactly is it putting the 1.0 release at risk? The reality behind a hotfix is... a lot more complex than that.

• QA has to switch from the final game's branch to the Spring Update branch. Branches are made to separate different versions of the game, so that development on one branch does not affect another (to prevent WIP stuff for the final game to appear in the Spring Update for instance)
  • QA has to find a surefire way to reproduce the bug on the Spring Update branch. Sometimes that's pretty simple because players explained how to trigger the bug 100% of the time, for example "Using the Teleporter to go to Wizard's Tower cause an instant game over". Sometimes it's not because the bug is very vague, for example "my game crashed in Caer Cyflen".
  • Once QA found a reliable way to reproduce the bug, the devs start looking at it to try and find the cause. Without a guaranteed way to trigger them, some bugs can sometimes exist for a very long time. For example, we still receive reports that a monster will spend its turn running back and forth instead of attacking. However, it's very hard to find why - first it only happens very rarely, second it seems random (not always the same monster or encounter), third looking at the AI there is no reason it should do that, lastly no one's been able to find a setup that will always make the monster do its little dance instead of attacking like it should.
  • Once they found the reason why it's going sideways, it's time to fix it (they will also need to switch the Spring Update branch). Now just as before, that can be very simple (oh the value was wrong) or very complex (crap, fixing this means we have to tweak how the system works, potentially impacting other areas of the game and creating new bugs).
  • Now when the bug is fixed, both on the Spring Update version (for the hotfix) and the final game's branch (so that the bug is also fixed when the final version hits the store), QA will need to start testing the entire game to make sure the fix isn't breaking something else. For those who may not remember it, because we released a hotfix too quickly in December's Winter Update, the minimap (which was working properly when the update was released) suddenly started crashing the game when used after the hotfix released - due to a change that had nothing to do with it (re-adding grass which was missing from Coparann). Due to the nature of Solasta being an RPG, it takes a tremendous amount of time to test properly - there are a lot of race / class combinations, spells that you could use in all sort of conditions, etc etc...
  • Remember about the branches? All that testing needs to be done on the Spring Update branch, as that's what the players are playing. Meaning that in the meantime, QA is not testing on the final game branch - thus increasing the risk of not spotting bugs for the final release of the game.
  • After all of that, Devs release the hotfix.
  • Players download the patch, bug is fixed, woohoo! And hopefully no additional bugs were created in the process.
Now you should understand a bit better why we can't just keep on doing hotfixes while also working on completing the game. But does that mean reporting bugs is useless? Not at all! Here is what we're currently doing:

• QA test the bug on the final game's branch, to make sure the bug wasn't already fixed since the Spring Update release. Find a way to replicate the bug, etc etc.
  • Devs fix the bug on the final game's branch that they're already working on, this way the bug will be fixed in the 1.0 release.
  • QA keep testing the final game's branch as they do on a daily basis, to see if they find bugs and if bugs that devs say are fixed are... well, indeed fixed or not.
  • Devs release version 1.0 with better quality than if QA kept on running back and forth between two different branches.
As you can see, the difference mostly lies in focusing on one single branch and committing to it, instead of dancing between two different ones. While there's probably no developer in the world that enjoy bug fixes not being available to players after having already fixed them, we need to make sure we don't split our focus too much and endanger the quality and stability of the final 1.0 release. This way, we ensure we push Solasta at a better level of quality at launch!

Alright folks, this is the end for today! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums or our Discord Server.

My condolances to the the owners of the cat from previous dev update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Myzzrym
If in-lore presentation of the Monument of the Dead is that it is dedicated to the heroes and victims of the Cataclysm,
why it depicts only humans who did not even exist on Solasta at that time?

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Y'know what? That's a perfectly valid point. Could simply be that humans were more used to memorialize their dead (divinities, religious rites and all), but it does strike me as strange that there wouldn't be elves in the lot considering they fought side to side during the cataclysm.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I actually wondered about the lack of dwarves, but if the options are "humans only" or "humans and elves", I'd prefer the former!

V_K

Arcane
How's the optimization for this thing? Anyone tried to run this on an integrated gpu?
It's ok on my Vega 3. Not super great but ok. On par with DOS2 I would say - I have to lower some settings but nothing drastic.
Might be better optimized now, since I've only tried running it at EA launch, before any patches or updates.

Elex

Arbiter
Now the question: i wait for release or i replay it again now?

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Honestly if you already played when the Early Access first launched, just wait for the full release!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dwarves were unfortunately enslaved by the Elven Empire back then, so I doubt they would be represented :(

There is magocracies in Solasta? For eg, on Glantri from Mystara or Thay in FR. Also, which sub classes will be available for sorcerer after the launch? And how did the Manlets got their freedom?

Now the question: i wait for release or i replay it again now?

I suggest wait till release. I have over 40 hours on Solasta at moment, played the EA twice. At moment, I an playing kingmaker with call of the wild + races unleashed as a Damphir Pact Wizard specialized on necromancy with winter patron and have a draconic druid elf companion(a druid with a drake companion)

Larianshill

Arbiter
I gather that fun things like Battlemaster are not in the game, because Tactical Adventures doesn't have the full license. With that in mind, I wonder how mod-friendly this game is.

Acrux

Arcane
I gather that fun things like Battlemaster are not in the game, because Tactical Adventures doesn't have the full license. With that in mind, I wonder how mod-friendly this game is.

It seems to be at least modrately friendly to modding. At least, there's a lot of mods on Nexus - most of them by one creator and they seem to be compatible. Mostly ones that add subclasses, but also one that gives alternate Human rules, one that gives a free feat at level 1.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Kythaela effectively dies, and the dragon she becomes speaks and acts nothing like her.
My disappointment is immeasureable. One NPC in the whole game that I liked.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
How's the optimization for this thing? Anyone tried to run this on an integrated gpu?
It's ok on my Vega 3. Not super great but ok. On par with DOS2 I would say - I have to lower some settings but nothing drastic.
Might be better optimized now, since I've only tried running it at EA launch, before any patches or updates.
I should probably be able to run this on low settings then, thanks for the info bro.

Guess I'm buying this on release then, so far it looks like it might be very cool.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Should I have explored the goblin caves before proceeding into the fort? Didn't expect what happens when I met the survivors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom