Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
a deus ex game made in one week in a guy's garage on a $5 budget
Deus Ex game is anything but that tho. Its development costed 27 million of 1998s dollars given by Romero, when the only other higher budget games were Final Fantasy VII and Shenmue. And missed deadline once, was originally a 1999 title.
polish lies

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Deus Ex game is anything but that tho. Its development costed 27 million of 1998s dollars given by Romero, when the only other higher budget games were Final Fantasy VII and Shenmue. And missed deadline once, was originally a 1999 title.
Dont talk facts with golem Dues Ex was a high budget game for that time and took 3 years to make.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Cyberpunk was never going to do that.
Conspiracy theories are nothing but fun thought experiment compared to peeling through the verity of society.
ba9.png

(supplement book but still, canon)

Reader

Scholar
f you first played it as an impressionable 15 year old
I played Human revolution on release and liked it. I played original Deus Ex around three years ago and i think it's far superior.
OG DX was a cool game, I loved it, but it's not exactly Dostoyevsky you know
Also i think that Mary Demarle is not a bad writer, i liked Myst 3 and Saavedro but she's not Dostoyevsky too. Nobody is. He's dead.

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm sorry but the two Deus Ex sequels were fucking trash. I liked the first one but subsequent playthroughs have me realizing it is really just awful. And the second was bad from the start. They completely missed the point of DX and instead of cool-guy, millennial flavored conspiracy theorizing and one-liners we got poorly written Canadian political propaganda complete with interracial gangs in Detroit. Oh, then we move to Prague for some reason, with shoe-horned in references to the Illuminati (again, they missed the fucking point).
World building is trash too due to the fact that they focus all their attention on one element in first one AUGMENTATIONS is all people talk about and in the second one DISCRIMINATION is focus of all quests and conversations its fucking trash.

Even all the posters you find in the world are about one fucking thing its artificial as fuck even nazi germany didnt spam so hard with anti jew propaganda.
Yeah dude, it's not like every corporation is shoving niggergaytrans agenda in your face at every step in the real world right now.
Sooooooooo unrealistic.

OG DX had shit world building because nobody is wearing a mask during a global pandemic.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Heinrich Ratjen (20 November 1918 – 22 April 2008),[1] born Dora Ratjen, was a German athlete who competed for Germany in the women's high jump at the 1936 Summer Olympics at Berlin, finishing fourth, but was later determined to be male and/or intersex.[2] In some news reports, he was erroneously referred to as Hermann Ratjen and Horst Ratjen.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-C10379%2C_Hermann_Ratjen_alias_%22Dora_Ratjen%22.jpg
I had always thought the German fondness for "female" Olympic athletes began with the DDR.

0265o0.jpg

Gargaune

Magister
Fun games maybe, but I'm not sure how you can argue that Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are great DX games, or that they're well written. Neither game has anything half as thought-provoking or tragic as Gunther Hermann, the man who traded away his humanity to become a better weapon and is thrown on the scrap heap the moment a better weapon comes along.
This has been discussed over and over in the DX4 thread and nobody's denying that Mankind Divided had substantial writing problems, both in scope as a middle chapter as well as with thematic overreach, but to call the game trash is bewildering. Its writing shortfalls are well compensated by a generally competent mechanical framework and solid, occasionally excellent, level design. Even the original DX, while scoring better across the board, still didn't have flawless writing, but it didn't matter because the gameplay was God's gift to Action-Adventure RPGs.

It's also rather off-key to see nü-DX lambasted in this of all threads, seeing as EM's soft reboot of that series is what Cyberpunk 2077 could and should have been trying to emulate. A CBP with DX4's mechanics and mission design would've been a thing of beauty in this day and age, and we'd have all been better off for it.

I am truly astonished by how many people on the Codex think DX:HR and -- even more fucking unbelievable -- DX MD were good RPGs. What the fuck is wrong with you idiots?
Action-Adventure RPGs.

The original Deus Ex cost approximately approximately ~$5.5 million to make, according to Warren Spector in a presentation from some years ago. I remember the figure clearly, but I don't recall which event it was off the top of my head. We also know that the game sold circa 1 million copies, as reported in Square Enix's presentation upon their acquisition of Eidos Interactive in 2009.

P.S. Okay, found it - Warren Spector's first 2007 Masterclass at the University of Texas, he's talking game budgets and hits Deus Ex at the 1:36:53 mark for "five and a half million bucks right there." Other figures that might amuse the Codex - Ultima Underworld "something like" $450K, System Shock "about" $1M, Thief: Deadly Shadows ~$11M and Deus Ex: Invisible War ~$12.5M.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Hey, it's only a matter of time before they try to put trannies into Olympics. Or have to tell trannies no, which is going to be spectacular in its own right.

Caim

Arcane
Hey, it's only a matter of time before they try to put trannies into Olympics. Or have to tell trannies no, which is going to be spectacular in its own right.
If they refuse the West will reeee, if they let them the rest of the world will reeee. Either way the IOC will collapse with a deafening reeee.

Reid

Novice
This has been discussed over and over in the DX4 thread and nobody's denying that Mankind Divided had substantial writing problems, both in scope as a middle chapter as well as with thematic overreach, but to call the game trash is bewildering. Its writing shortfalls are well compensated by a generally competent mechanical framework and solid, occasionally excellent, level design. Even the original DX, while scoring better across the board, still didn't have flawless writing, but it didn't matter because the gameplay was God's gift to Action-Adventure RPGs.

Nu-deus ex isn't bad by today's AAA standards but saying the original just "scores better across the board" is a massive understatement, they're not in the same league gameplay-wise. The newer ones are just too consolized for me and lacking the freedom and "emergent" gameplay of the original.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

At present, I think trannies can participate in the male competitions (like gays, bisex, etc.,) although maybe some hormones are banned by the Olympic drug control committee. Imagine the butthurt for the tranny that want to participate to the Olympics and has to be identified as a male.

In the future obviously there will be specific categories for trannies, and all the other sexual categories/orientations that will be created in the meantime.

In the future they will create also specific competitions for specific religions: so you will have olympics 100m for christian/trannies as a different discipline than olympics 100m for islamic/ females. Atheists will be banned altogether obviously, because their mere existence is offensive for all the other religions.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

At present, I think trannies can participate in the male competitions (like gays, bisex, etc.,) although maybe some hormones are banned by the Olympic drug control committee. Imagine the butthurt for the tranny that want to participate to the Olympics and has to be identified as a male.

In the future obviously there will be specific categories for trannies, and all the other sexual categories/orientations that will be created in the meantime.

In the future they will create also specific competitions for specific religions: so you will have olympics 100m for christian/trannies as a different discipline than olympics 100m for islamic/ females. Atheists will be banned altogether obviously, because their mere existence is offensive for all the other religions.

Brands are the new religions: 100m for Appletards, 100m for Androidbots, 100m for Nike-joggers, 100m for McDonald-addicts...

Dont talk facts with golem Dues Ex was a high budget game for that time and took 3 years to make.
I remember magazines gushing over that at the time. My computer could barely run it. :M

Zer0wing

Cipher
The original Deus Ex cost approximately approximately ~$5.5 million to make, according to Warren Spector in a presentation from some years ago. I remember the figure clearly, but I don't recall which event it was off the top of my head. We also know that the game sold circa 1 million copies, as reported in Square Enix's presentation upon their acquisition of Eidos Interactive in 2009.

P.S. Okay, found it - Warren Spector's first 2007 Masterclass at the University of Texas, he's talking game budgets and hits Deus Ex at the 1:36:53 mark for "five and a half million bucks right there." Other figures that might amuse the Codex - Ultima Underworld "something like" $450K, System Shock "about" $1M, Thief: Deadly Shadows ~$11M and Deus Ex: Invisible War ~$12.5M.
:what:
Why am I misremembering it so hard?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I keep playing this shit lol. I want to strangle with my own hands the person who designed the fucking red skull thing.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Funnily enough, Deus Ex was my introduction to stealth gameplay, since my Riva Vanta couldn't cut the framerates for head-to-head popamoling.
Lol this is why I stealthed through most of Crysis on my old PC-stealth with 15 fps is far better than shooting with 9-10 fps.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
My fps became worse after patch 1.2, anybody else? Any fixes at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom