Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Judging by the react, he doesn't have it anymore.
No I don't have a random piece of paper from 30 years ago.

But it was this movie (this movie), and this was the device (my drawing was way cooler ofc)

doomsday.jpg

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I love how the fags bashing the game (Burning Bridges has a bridge to burn for some reason boredom I guess) act like the people who played it think it is the best game of all time. It wasn't. It's just something different with a decent narrative hook if you have an interest in the afterlife which is not often depicted in games. Yes a lot of the side stories were gay. I didn't do all of them.

I would give it a solid 7 out of 10 in retrospect because I do think Kojima needs to lay off the long ass credit endings just so assholes that don't play his games will shut the fuck up. 60+ hours but 11 hours of cutscenes. Oh noes.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
I love how the fags bashing the game (Burning Bridges has a bridge to burn for some reason boredom I guess) act like the people who played it think it is the best game of all time. It wasn't. It's just something different with a decent narrative hook if you have an interest in the afterlife which is not often depicted in games. Yes a lot of the side stories were gay. I didn't do all of them.

I would give it a solid 7 out of 10 in retrospect because I do think Kojima needs to lay off the long ass credit endings just so assholes that don't play his games will shut the fuck up. 60+ hours but 11 hours of cutscenes. Oh noes.
I would give it Die hardman/10

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Mario and Princess Beach probably sounds a lot less retarded to a Japanese dude. I find that many of the narrative issues with Kojima are in other Japanese games. They like to play with similar sounding words for some fucking reason. But yeah shit like that is why even as a fan I can only give it a 7. Some people take shit way too seriously though. Basically the only way you act like that guy did is if you are on camera being a fag.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The understanding of this problem could be find in racial theory, explaining the peculiarities of working of Japanese mind. Japanese are good at precise sciences, engineering and technical side of things; simultaneously, they are almost completely incapable of creative thought and traditionally weak at all things humanitarian. Thus, when we talk about Japanese cars, electronics or machinery - all of this is top notch stuff; when we talk about Japanese "art", its mostly confused, jumbled mess, lacking any sense of direction or underlying themes, amalgamation of various ideas and concepts stacked together without any coherency. Kojima is a prime example of this phenomena: his games may be impressive from the technical side, may be even innovative at times, but thematically - as the good man above me said, "writing on the level of 6 years old".

The Japanese love puns. It's something to do with how their language is set up, which allows for far more wordplay than something like English.

I do wish this game was completely freeform when it came to building. In the same way JRPGs are (or were) more on-rails than CRPGs, this kind of feels like a Japanese on-rails survival, building, and management game. Like I wish once you got into the main part of the game you had to set up your way stations and their functionality yourself. That you could place roads wherever you wanted. And that you could set up your resting area youself, and there was a stronger survival element that meant it became more important than a slight health boost and a way to get some extra bombs.

I could really see a version of this game that's a proper survival game. Where you're setting up factories in a Factorio kind of way, (it wouldn't even really need to be that crazy) and creating safe pathways for the delivery bots yourself. Where those cult guys dynamically former between facilities, and create bigger bases for you stealth or fight through depending on how much area between facilities you give them. And where the more chiral energy your shipping factories you're building put out the worse Timefall and BTs in the area get, so they're tied directly to what you're doing and your progression.

I actually liked this game quite a lot, but I also think every aspect of it's gameplay could be fleshed out to a far greater degree than it was. One thing I was surprised by was when they were showing the game off, your BB kind of seemed like it was going to have this Tamagotchi aspect to it, this thing about keeping your BB happy and stuff; but in the end that just kind of amounts to not falling off cliffs or getting hurt too much and making the BB cry.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
they are almost completely incapable of creative thought

Eh.

Sure, the kabuki theatre is pitiful compared to Shakespeare, Jap wailing, plunking music is no match for Mozart or Beethoven and the Great Wave off Kanagawa can't really measure up to da Vinci, Raphael or Rembrandt.

But saying they're incapable of creative thought is way too harsh. Old anime like Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Ghost in the Shell is wonderfully poetic and beautiful (even tho modern anime is just sheer degeneracy and latent paedophilia). Dark Souls way of narration might not be for everyone but it's very original and unique. And if you accept gameplay design is a novel art category then Japs are beating both Yuros and the Kwans handily in that respect.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I do wish this game was completely freeform when it came to building. In the same way JRPGs are (or were) more on-rails than CRPGs, this kind of feels like a Japanese on-rails survival, building, and management game. Like I wish once you got into the main part of the game you had to set up your way stations and their functionality yourself. That you could place roads wherever you wanted. And that you could set up your resting area youself, and there was a stronger survival element that meant it became more important than a slight health boost and a way to get some extra bombs.

I could really see a version of this game that's a proper survival game. Where you're setting up factories in a Factorio kind of way, (it wouldn't even really need to be that crazy) and creating safe pathways for the delivery bots yourself. Where those cult guys dynamically former between facilities, and create bigger bases for you stealth or fight through depending on how much area between facilities you give them. And where the more chiral energy your shipping factories you're building put out the worse Timefall and BTs in the area get, so they're tied directly to what you're doing and your progression.

I actually liked this game quite a lot, but I also think every aspect of it's gameplay could be fleshed out to a far greater degree than it was. One thing I was surprised by was when they were showing the game off, your BB kind of seemed like it was going to have this Tamagotchi aspect to it, this thing about keeping your BB happy and stuff; but in the end that just kind of amounts to not falling off cliffs or getting hurt too much and making the BB cry.

Not gonna happen, it's a popamole game.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
the masterpiece is on sale again so I finally watched the entire review

"made me wonder what goes off on in this guy's mind"

"it's boring, it's .. mindnumbingly boring it's pretentious it's boring it loves itself so much for being nothing."

"it's a boring pile of shit"

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's hilarious how a game that was made, designed and meant to provoke empathy

How would I put it.

When I was about 6 years old I watched a movie about an evil villain who had his lair in a volcano and wanted to destroy the world with this krazy device.

I was blown away. I immediately went on and created a technical drawing of said device. You wouldn't believe how proud I was of that design. I called it "My Doomsday Device". It had all sorts of complicated gadgets and connections and squiggly lines. Super deep stuff. Sheer genius. I proudly showed it to my mom and she praised me how smart I was. That's a real story btw.

Death Stranding is Kojimas vidya equivalent of My Doomsday Device. Kojima is a middle aged man whos mental development froze at about 6 years old. Now he's proudly strutting around, showing the entire world his deep and profound story that he wrote. To any minimally developed adult his story is incoherent, nonsensical mess full of embarrassing names like Die Hardman and hilariously wooden dialogues, just like a story by any 6 year old would be.

It's the exact same problem Phantom Pain has btw. But despite the meme writing at least the gameplay in MGS5 is god tier. DS is just meme wall to wall.

The Japanese (and subsequently weebs) are not a very intellectual race and thus easily impressed by highschool level philosophy.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
It's hilarious how a game that was made, designed and meant to provoke empathy

How would I put it.

When I was about 6 years old I watched a movie about an evil villain who had his lair in a volcano and wanted to destroy the world with this krazy device.

I was blown away. I immediately went on and created a technical drawing of said device. You wouldn't believe how proud I was of that design. I called it "My Doomsday Device". It had all sorts of complicated gadgets and connections and squiggly lines. Super deep stuff. Sheer genius. I proudly showed it to my mom and she praised me how smart I was. That's a real story btw.

Death Stranding is Kojimas vidya equivalent of My Doomsday Device. Kojima is a middle aged man whos mental development froze at about 6 years old. Now he's proudly strutting around, showing the entire world his deep and profound story that he wrote. To any minimally developed adult his story is incoherent, nonsensical mess full of embarrassing names like Die Hardman and hilariously wooden dialogues, just like a story by any 6 year old would be.

It's the exact same problem Phantom Pain has btw. But despite the meme writing at least the gameplay in MGS5 is god tier. DS is just meme wall to wall.

The Japanese (and subsequently weebs) are not a very intellectual race and thus easily impressed by highschool level philosophy.
/thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Weebs are way more despicable. Most Japs can't into Engrish, they're impressed by a high-school drama anime or a word salad drivel like Death Stranding coz they just don't any better.

But weebz have this giant wealth of Western literature at their disposal, just a few clicks away, and they choose to fap over lolis instead. 30+ year old men "reading" Batman comics or manga or watching My Little Pony, sheer fucking degeneracy and decay of the Western intellect.

tumblr_m9ds0oP2UP1r331r3o5_500.jpg

Black_Willow

Arcane

Weebs are way more despicable. Most Japs can't into Engrish, they're impressed by a high-school drama anime or a word salad drivel like Death Stranding coz they just don't any better.

But weebz have this giant wealth of Western literature at their disposal, just a few clicks away, and they choose to fap over lolis instead. 30+ year old men "reading" Batman comics or manga or watching My Little Pony, sheer fucking degeneracy and decay of the Western intellect.

tumblr_m9ds0oP2UP1r331r3o5_500.jpg
Please stop being so mean to warpig

Dexter

Arcane
You can make jokes at the premise of the game and I get it's not a game for everybody, but it does what it sets out to do with more thought than a lot of games. And I doubt you will find many games like this out there (popamole or otherwise), because a lot of developers/publishers are content with hurling out the same tired crap (with minor variations), rather than try out something fresh or daring.
Okay sold, since it's 60% off let's see how it is:

Hope it runs well enough or I might need to wait for a GPU Upgrade.
:negative:

You could have used that creativity and created a game out of that idea, maybe called it "Evil Genius" or something, might have sold a few copies. Instead you rant on the Codex about people liking things you don't like.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
They are considered interacive movies. However, unironically, HK games, in particular the last MGSV and DS are a very good examples of non scripted but emergent systemic gameplay. Something very rare in modern games. Sometime these kind of games are called immersive sims.

From wiki: video game genre that emphasizes player choice [directly through the game mechanics and not abstractly through a set of predefined choices in a menu]. ... The term "immersive sim" may also be used to describe the game design philosophy behind the immersive sim genre, which uses interacting, reactive and consistent game systems to create emergent gameplay and a sense of player agency.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom