Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Its still there, it happened to me twice.
My gripe with it is how the spotting works. Sometimes people spot you with the "You're not <that guy>!" reaction, sometimes they straight up go into combat mode. Had to reload a ton just to get into the depot with the shelves.
Haven't done this quest with impersonation a single time. Just kill them all

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I was a bit hard on the game in my last few posts so here's something positive:
When the game works, it does so beautifully. You really feel like some post-apocalyptic scavenger who needs to be clever to get by. Being a sneaky asshole is rewarding.

CHEMS

Scholar
My gripe with it is how the spotting works. Sometimes people spot you with the "You're not <that guy>!" reaction, sometimes they straight up go into combat mode. Had to reload a ton just to get into the depot with the shelves.

Infiltrating Zenith is not that hard when you learn the blind spots: first get the keycard from the second hut to the left, then sneak towards the dark left spot near the entrance to the docks. From there, just wait having a clear shot at the door where the shields are.

Or just kill them all, though if you do it you won't farm Marines for expensive jet parts.

Also I hate crawlers but that's just natural.

Crawlers are fine, but death stalkers are the worst. When i do the steal shields mission, i immediately throw a grenade to make noise and get back in the vent. This will cause the guard to fight the stalkers, he'll probably kill them, if not, they'll be weakened and unstealthed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That's no longer the case. As someone already said, looks like xp numbers were tuned quite a bit. I did half the quests for Institute already, did like 40% of Expedition and still 29 lvl on classic/dom. It's faster progression than oddity yes but by narrow margin.

That was me, and it does seem to have been tuned. I'm on the same track. I imagine I'll have hit level 30 very shortly before there's virtually no content remaining before DC. The real issue remains that it's not terribly difficult to hit 12 prior to Depot A.

On a different note, I finally understand why people are ho-hum on most of the special ammunition types.

The 5mm shock and 9mm acid special rounds simply add more damage per round—a straight upgrade to standard ammo—except that JHP and W2C will always be better versus lightly and heavily armored targets, respectively. Special ammo is also even more precious than W2C and JHP. Furthermore, if you're fighting trash mobs, there's no sense in wasting special ammo on them. That leaves these special ammo types with one true niche that I can see: ablating energy shields more quickly if you lack EMP capability or your EMP is on cooldown. I suppose robots are weak versus electricity and various things are weak to acid, but is that enough to be superior to W2C or JHP?

The 7.62mm ammo is somewhat pointless unless you also have synergy with melee plus Eviscerate and/or Taste for Blood; their residual damage over time doesn't lend itself to focus-firing one enemy at a time. Perhaps they'd be good for Dominating bosses. Micro-shrapnel rounds also require an entire advanced repair kit's worth of metal scrap per 35.

The 8.6mm incendiary rounds deal fairly minor residual damage, but can cause ignition-induced panic potentially affecting multiple targets, which makes them the VIP of special ammo types. They truly offer something above and beyond straight damage, and unlike micro-shrapnel rounds, they're comparatively easy and cheap to craft.

I have no experience with 12.7mm contaminated, but I would guess that the straight damage it adds is, as with the smaller-caliber rounds, not enough to compensate for what JHP or W2C could do. Still, those clouds of gas could be slightly handy. However, although you can obtain dozens of barrels of toxic waste over the course of a long playthrough, they're rare enough that this is still one of the most (if not the most) precious special ammo crafting recipes in the game.

Reid

Novice
The real issue remains that it's not terribly difficult to hit 12 prior to Depot A.

If you visit the early areas several times and farm respawned enemies, sure. I've played a few half-finished runs on classic/dominating recently and I'm usually level 9 or so by Depot A, doing every quest up to and including within junkyard, and killing most enemies. If you just go through without backtracking it doesn't seem like you get that much more XP in the early game than on oddity. Of course, the further you play, the bigger the gap does get.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Am I the only one wishing for a map editor to make some standalone random dungeons on the waterways?

CHEMS

Scholar
Reminder: even if you betray Aegis, you'll still want to defend their camp.

Why? Three words: sormibaren nose candy. You can farm infinite amount of those defending the camp. Note that Aegis won't be wiped out as long the natives LOSE the battle on the beach, even if every sec trooper on the map died. There's a way to do this without being killed by infinite arrows. Get a Torpedo and take cover on the spot i'm showing. It's a blind spot where natives can't hit you.

As long that all the natives are dead, Aegis won't be wiped out and you can farm vitality powder to your hearts content. To make sure, pay attention: if the native battle music stops, then you can leave the beach.

If enough Sec Troopers die, your heart will break in two seing Ladelman and Marcus being torn apart by savages.

jiP3DDV.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If you visit the early areas several times and farm respawned enemies, sure. I've played a few half-finished runs on classic/dominating recently and I'm usually level 9 or so by Depot A, doing every quest up to and including within junkyard, and killing most enemies. If you just go through without backtracking it doesn't seem like you get that much more XP in the early game than on oddity. Of course, the further you play, the bigger the gap does get.

I think I was misremembering my own recent run through Depot A. I assumed I'd started it at level 12, but actually (having checked my "Depot A" save from just before entering) I started it at level 10 and ended it at level 12.

So the fact of the matter is that Classic and Oddity are nearly on par already. We're talking about a difference of maybe one whole level, two at the very most, over the course of the entire game. And as many have pointed out, by the time you're level 26, it hardly matters. My current build will actually get a nice boost at 28, because I decided to beef up Agility late and will be taking Blitz, but it's not necessary.

If enough Sec Troopers die, your heart will break in two seing Ladelman and Marcus being torn apart by savages.

CHEMS

Scholar
Funny though, Marcus and Ladelmann will join the fight if needed, but Briggs will hide like a bitch and never shows up.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Yeah, but Styg don't wanna

Would it make sense to pester Styg for a map editor as a compromise? Adding the waterways changes a lot. We could use more dungeons, placed on either the existing water areas or newly created ones. The abandoned facility and oil rig are plain fun.

Making a full game is a lot of work. I once got to the point of being able to walk around the map, with floors, walls, roofs, doors, and a primitive GUI using Fallout 2's assets. Even if I get back there, then what? It needs a combat system, its own assets, and more tooling than a crude map editor.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't think a seasoned Dom player will ever feel vastly underleveled due to Oddity - but I know some players roll builds where their signature moves only come into play in like level 20, I guess.
as I said, you will hit max lvl anyway. My complain is about going out of your way and still missing oddity set. Looks bad on oddity collection board and stuff. And its not like it would change much, I usually only miss a few, probably not worth 10xp in total

True, but that's just OCD. You can obsess if you want, I don't think it's got much to do with design priorities.

Tygrende

Arbiter
You can farm infinite amount of those defending the cam Note that Aegis won't be wiped out as long the natives LOSE the battle on the beach, even if every sec trooper on the map died.
I'm pretty sure the game tracks the number of sec-troopers left regardless, so they will get wiped out the moment they run out. One of the first pirate quests is to wipe out their patrols, which is accomplished by either killing enough for them to stop patrolling or wiping them out completly. Have you checked if the number of coffins in their bay area increases after each invasion?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The freighter is the true MVP when clearing out the Abandoned Waterways Mega Loot Drop Super-Dungeon, although I see it still drops its tow occasionally for no apparent reason. That's probably something to do with what I believe are orthographically projected jet ski models interacting oddly at certain angles respective to each other.

I'm having a ball working my way through the rest of this dungeon (I only completed a few areas before leaving it for a long while), and it only belatedly dawned me that this is a jet ski dungeon. There are jump ramps, fire corridors, lookouts standing at gate controls, enemies on skis, the ability to use vacant or captured skis as mobile bridges from one shore to the next mid-run (when your own ski is parked safely elsewhere), minor puzzles to make a path, and of course there are unique ski parts to find.

This is the first jet ski dungeon in cRPG history. We're witnessing history!

I have a mental image of a community of mutants who've been living in their remote, obscure, and well guarded refuge for years—perhaps decades or even centuries—regretfully dispatching the very few curious loners or unfortunate lost who very occasionally find their way in....

Then one day, out of nowhere, a gaudily-painted jet ski sporting a huge missile rack comes torpedoing in off a ramp, piloted by a screaming man wearing a huge rat pelt who chucks a grenade from each hand at the peak of the ski's ballistic arc, then is spraying two SMGs in all directions before he even lands. Later, a lone survivor hidden in an outhouse hears a great deal of crashing, banging, grunting, and cursing as this insane person piles every last piece of junk, trash, electronic plug, shell casing, bloodied vest, discarded weapon, canned meat, and bodily organ into his jet ski.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So jet ski keys and hotwiring kits are for show? I think I knew that before, but had forgotten. When I've had to lockpick a ski, it was with a lockpick, so basically that was picking the trunk/hood (boot/bonnet for limeys).

In my experience, you can click any ski within reach and you'll hop right on (and possibly aggro the entire zone/faction).

Vestigial content, in my Underrail? Ah, well.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Anyway, what about the hotwiring kit?

So that people with no lockpick skill can enter jet skis? Just like the crowbar thing. We already have one person here admitting not using Lockpick, Hacking or even Stealth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom