Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hyforge makes its way to Early Access

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Hyforge; Piko Island

Hyforge has been Early Accessed on Steam. While the game bills itself as a Rogue-lite, I'm not exactly sure what makes it such other than Perma-Death. That said, it has an interesting art style. It is also on a 15% discount through April 14th, being new and all. Here's some trailer and info:

• Mixed Aesthetics: Utilizing traditional pixel art, modern lighting and 3D environments creates a unique and beautiful graphical experience.
  • Character Development: Players are free to develop their character as they wish with no classes or skill trees to hold them back.
  • Perma-Death: In Yardendrell, death is permanent. Take heed not to rush into the unknown without preparing first.
  • Eldritch Lineage: Unlock the secrets of your lineage while you develop your skills. Eldritch traits remain even through death.
  • Free Updates, Always: Never worry about paying extra for new skills, locations, dungeons, etc.

I bet they scale back on that Perma-Death thing at some point, depending on how they do it. It's not exactly a widely popular feature. It is a fantastic option, though.

bionicman

Liturgist
My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because seeing that 8-bit sprite float above a high-res 3d environment just gave me cancer.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because seeing that 8-bit sprite float above a high-res 3d environment just gave me cancer.
Built that one up nicely. :lol:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It is a little jarring seeing Doom-like sprites on an ultra-realistic environment. I was thinking when I was watching the trailer if 3D ASCII characters would be more jarring than the sprites themselves. It's definitely an odd choice.

bionicman

Liturgist
Built that one up nicely. :lol:

Actually, it's a meme I stole from the internet, normally ends with "because your post just gave me cancer". But yeah the build-up is hilarious.

It is a little jarring seeing Doom-like sprites on an ultra-realistic environment. I was thinking when I was watching the trailer if 3D ASCII characters would be more jarring than the sprites themselves. It's definitely an odd choice.

The dev could just downgrade the high-res textures to be more low res and the game would look 10 times better. Or he could use some shader perhaps, I don't know... I guess he just didn't get enough feedback on the visuals.

PanDupa

Educated
Does the music in the trailer sounds like o fortuna knockoff or I'm just going crazy?

The two-dimensional sprites and the 3-D world reminds me of Daggerfall unity. They say no classes but will they give us some skill points or traits etc. to work with in the beginning to differentiate each character and allow the player to start the game with some ability in the play-style they want?

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
The aesthetics of the game look... crap "original" to say the least. But the concept of the thing is interesting in itself.
I can't help but imagine an "Elder Scrolls-like" game where the player has the option to visit other dimensions or past eras, and the game changes from an hyper-realist 3D engine to something similar to Wizardry, Might&Magic or Dungeon Master style of visuals. If done right maybe it would become something nice.

Even Ultima Underworld 2 tried something similar back in the day:

edit: I suggest anyone to watch the video with sound muted, since the narrator is an imbecile

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Judging by the words "Alfa footage" I think these sprites are temporary. Sadly, cause I sorta like it.

Skdursh

Savant
I honestly don't hate the juxtaposition of the HD environments with pixel art. Again, graphics whores should get boofed. It's definitely not a fucking roguelike though. I seriously hate how warped and abused the title of the genre has become to constantly involve games that are clearly in no way whatsoever roguelikes. Perma death is not the sole hallmark of a roguelike, but I guess concepts like that are probably too much for the 12IQ general population to get a handle on.

Luzur

Good Sir
everything just looks odd, wandering a HD textured 3D world and suddenly a pixel billboard non-animated spider is gliding towards you

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I seriously hate how warped and abused the title of the genre has become to constantly involve games that are clearly in no way whatsoever roguelikes. Perma death is not the sole hallmark of a roguelike, but I guess concepts like that are probably too much for the 12IQ general population to get a handle on.

I agree. I actually like a lot of the action CRPGs that are actual roguelikes, random dungeons, random events, shrines, random encounters, and so on. To be honest, I really wish there had been a Dungeons of Dredmor 2. It had some nice 2D graphics and some particularly crazy events in the dungeon. I still fire it up from time to time, and that game is old.

That said, you plow through what a lot of roguelikes have, and you settle on one thing which isn't even strictly limited to the subgenre. There's games that clearly aren't roguelikes that have ironman modes, and there's some pretty hardcore roguelikes that don't have permadeath though most make it an option. It's probably my least favorite feature that's lumped in to the definition.

Repressed Homosexual
Another game that will not amount to more than an underwhelming indie game that will end up on the monthly Humble choice a few months after release.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Fresh, bold, doesn't pull any punches. Reminds me of Tim Lang's new game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom