Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
you would never need something this big in a hundred billion years.

I used to worry about "running out of content" and then my party spent four months (16 sessions) on level 1 of Stonehell.

Bara

Arcane
Rulebooks are in the warehouses but now the adventures need to be printed and also shipped before everything gets sent out.

So this was some what wrong. From what I'm hearing is that yes while the first three adventures need to be printed and shipped to the warehouses before mailing we will not have to wait for Holy Mountain Shaker to be done.

So they'll mail out OSE Advance books + the 3 adventures first and then mail out Holy Mountain Shaker adventure later separately.

Bara

Arcane
This is hearsay as I missed the Gary Con pannel for goodman games but I've been told the dying earth kickstarter will be this June.

But damn no vods saved of it either apparently.

Bara

Arcane
Okay offically confirmed now that the Dying Earth Kickstarter is June also art and of the covers.

2-DCC-Dying-Earth-Full-Wraparound-2000.jpg

3-DCCDE-Book-1-Players-Libram.jpg

4-DCCDE-Book-2-Primer-of-Practical-Magic.jpg

5-DCCDE-Book-3-Intimate-Anatomy-1000.jpg

6-DCCDE-0-Black-Obelisk.jpg

7-DCCDE-1-Laughing-Idol.jpg

8-DCCDE-2-Kolghut-Tower-1000.jpg

9-DCCDE-3-Grand-Exposition-of-Marvels.jpg

10-DCCDE-4-Mind-Weft-of-the-Moonstone-Palace.jpg

11-DCCDE-5-Penumbra-of-the-Polar-Ape.jpg

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I thought WWN was meant to be more Book of the New Sun than Dying Earth. Haven't read it (WWN) yet myself, though.

7h30n

Augur
Just to clarify, I haven't read it myself either. That's why I asked for feedback here.

Bara

Arcane
I thought WWN was meant to be more Book of the New Sun than Dying Earth. Haven't read it (WWN) yet myself, though.

I still haven't checked it out either but I heard Worlds Without Number calls the planet its set on as Later Earth which sound pretty much like a Dying Earth refrence at least.

Maybe its a bit of both?

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm planning to try out an "episodic" campaign with OSE in the vein of Leiber, Smith etc. short stories. I've been writing several 2-3 page adventures and the players would choose at the start of the session which one they want to play. They're relatively straightforward with a clear objective, so no hex-crawling emergent sandboxing here. Also planning to ditch out gold as xp, replacing it with an XP reward at the end of the session which will be adjusted based on how well the players did. I simply don't have the time for a large sandbox campaign and neither do my players, but I also don't want the combat to take most the playtime so 5e is out of the question. Will this crash and burn or could it work?

Another system which would be a great fit is SS&SS, but I'd still prefer to use B/X.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm planning to try out an "episodic" campaign with OSE in the vein of Leiber, Smith etc. short stories. I've been writing several 2-3 page adventures and the players would choose at the start of the session which one they want to play. They're relatively straightforward with a clear objective, so no hex-crawling emergent sandboxing here. Also planning to ditch out gold as xp, replacing it with an XP reward at the end of the session which will be adjusted based on how well the players did. I simply don't have the time for a large sandbox campaign and neither do my players, but I also don't want the combat to take most the playtime so 5e is out of the question. Will this crash and burn or could it work?

Another system which would be a great fit is SS&SS, but I'd still prefer to use B/X.

It can work if you have players that are in the right frame of mind to play through fairly linear adventures in a high lethality system like B/X, where characters are expected to be kind of disposable and players have to rely more on their own skill vs. lists of feats and powers on their character sheet. Frankly, DCC RPG does a great job of that style of play you described; its modules are built that way and that is its experience point system to a tee.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will this crash and burn or could it work?
It can work. For episodic games, it is OK to just start adventures in medias res ("You have gambled away all your fortune, and deep in debt, took on a job to go after the Chalice of the Rat-Lord. Big mistake! You are now standing before the sewer entrance, while a dubious-looking hunchback fumbles with his keyring at one of the barred grates.").

I would keep Xp for GP, though; in fact, it works PERFECTLY in similar game setups.

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would keep Xp for GP, though; in fact, it works PERFECTLY in similar game setups.

True and the more I think about it the more I like it. I'd like to keep most adventures within one or two sessions, so the campaign could be an episodic treasure hunt with high lethality. Also requiring players to spend the treasure to gain the XP would further enforce the game structure and pulpiness.

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Also requiring players to spend the treasure to gain the XP would further enforce the game structure and pulpiness.
This sounds like a fine idea. My players hardly ever do anything with their characters' wealth. Not that there's much to spend it on... or maybe that is just due to poor imagination.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
If you tax your players at the 90% rate you will find that they become libertarian adventurers pretty fast. I have yet to have a player not try to murder the local lord.

Bara

Arcane
Not that there's much to spend it on... or maybe that is just due to poor imagination.

The easiest solution would be to spend all the money on ale and wenches and gain their level ups by spending gold on epic benders.

Bonus points if you have a rollable table if the character black outs during it.

Usually I let my players get a building in town for their base of operations to spend gold on to drain their funds pre-domain levels. They really like having a place to narrativley call home.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I always liked Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea's Dunken Debauchery table for divorcing characters from their ill-gotten gains. It works pretty well as an idea generator for the next adventure too.

Morblot

Patron
The easiest solution would be to spend all the money on ale and wenches and gain their level ups by spending gold on epic benders.

For sure. What I meant is that I give XP for gold they drag back to safety, not gold spent, thus they end up sitting on a lot of gold.

I think your method was suggested by Melan in his zine as well.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth

For sure. What I meant is that I give XP for gold they drag back to safety, not gold spent, thus they end up sitting on a lot of gold.

That's correct. Here is the rule, translated from my game:
Experience for squandered treasure: Experience for treasure is awarded if it is squandered by the player character on things like debauchery, expensive clothing and similar trivialities. Squandering does not count if spending the treasure brings a concrete benefit; for instance, sacrifices to the gods, bribes, or rewards given to followers are worthless in this respect. However, alms for orphans and widows, and other acts of senseless altruism are worthy of a reward, for this action is ultimately just as ineffective and meaningless as hedonistic revelry. Naturally, the Gamemaster must always consider how the characters spend their money. This is so because the potential of specific acts is always limited (wasting 4000 gold pieces in one go assumes considerable creativity!), and also because there are always thieves, opportunists, and jealous rivals who will take note of excessive generosity.
Note the sword&sorcery genre emulation in the nihilism of the surrounding world. :M

Under the general D&D treasure/XP system, one XP per one GP is advisable. In my own games, where treasure is much more scarce, we use a *5 multiplier per gp value. (This is the standard followed in my zine.)

Sacibengala

Prophet

That's correct. Here is the rule, translated from my game:
Experience for squandered treasure: Experience for treasure is awarded if it is squandered by the player character on things like debauchery, expensive clothing and similar trivialities. Squandering does not count if spending the treasure brings a concrete benefit; for instance, sacrifices to the gods, bribes, or rewards given to followers are worthless in this respect. However, alms for orphans and widows, and other acts of senseless altruism are worthy of a reward, for this action is ultimately just as ineffective and meaningless as hedonistic revelry. Naturally, the Gamemaster must always consider how the characters spend their money. This is so because the potential of specific acts is always limited (wasting 4000 gold pieces in one go assumes considerable creativity!), and also because there are always thieves, opportunists, and jealous rivals who will take note of excessive generosity.
Note the sword&sorcery genre emulation in the nihilism of the surrounding world. :M

Under the general D&D treasure/XP system, one XP per one GP is advisable. In my own games, where treasure is much more scarce, we use a *5 multiplier per gp value. (This is the standard followed in my zine.)
What will be the name of your rules in english?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
The game itself is called Sword and Magic (yeah, generic as hell, but in my defence, it came out the same week as Swords&Wizardry :lol:) but I do not think it will ever come out in the form it exists in Hungary. There are simply way too many D&D variants on the market. What would be of interest to international gamers, the Gamemaster's Guidelines (a DMG-style book), is in my plans, but I want to revise it, since I wrote it in 2007-2008, before the "OSR" was even an accepted acronym!

However, Helvéczia is loosely based on the same ruleset, and it is now at the printer. Writing a preview announcement right now.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For a little over a year now or so, I started getting more involved with retroclones and modules labelling themselves as osr.
Before that, I was on a loong D&D hiatus after AD&D 2nd and played TDE, Whfrp, Dungeonworld,... instead. Never touched 3e/3.5e/PF (or a videogame based on them), their direction towards boardgames/MMOs just didn't resonate with me. So, basically it's not a revival for me - what's described in the often-quoted old-school primer is basically how I always did it.

One of the trends I notice in the OSR scene is the fixation on random tables, I'd go as far as calling it glorifying. Now, I get how encounter tables and loot tables are incredibly useful, as well as having a table with random names typical for the region, so that not every NPC the PCs encounter is called 'John'. But during a session I try to limit the amount of tables, because after a certain number it just becomes a mess and slows down play. Before I roll how the coat-of-arms of the randomly bypassing knight looks like, I just make it up on the spot.

But every so often I stumble across tables that make me wonder - is this really helping people to have a great pen&paper session? Case in point: stuff like Matt Finch's "Tome of adventure design" which is universally praised it seems, but I really don't see much value. Two (well-written!) pages of how a good adventure should be structured, followed by dozens of pages just with tables.
So after rolling several d100, I end up with a scenario idea: The adventurers are sent to the Spiraling Pyramid of the Cabbalistic Staute, once known as Orb-Cairn of the Flame Monster to take the leadership in the assassination of the story's villain. They are hired by a victim of slander who wants to rescue a business rival and made a post on the billboard with the mission. A motivation for them could be that they are rewarded with an improvement of their physical appearance. The villain himself is driven by the desire to increase his personal capabilities by stealing from a person who has a magic item...
Okay, those were ~20 pages in and I'm not impressed. I feel like it would cost me more brainpower and time to expand this into a useful hook in a way that it does not feel like everything was chosen purely random, than just to make up something from the ground up entirely.

Another example - I recently read a module (it was a shitty hipster 1 page dungeon for a shitty hipster system, but the pattern is ubiquitous across the whole scene) taking place in an asylum. Instead of coming up with a selected few NPCs that could make for interesting encounters, the author just threw in some tables and told the reader basically to just roll the NPC's insanity. Come on, that's super lazy!

I don't want to make an argument here, I am genuinely interested how people are using such tables.
Are you using that stuff live on the table? Like "Sorry GM, our PC's don't feel like going after any one of your hooks" - "Okay let me roll something new on the spot".
Do you roll up an adventure entirely just the way I described above, then take a long walk and ponder on how to make a good hook out of the nonsense?
Or do you just use individual tables and look through the possible results when you just can't for the love of it come up with an idea for a name, a motivation or a patron that is not cliché for an otherwise 100% handcrafted scenario? Sorry for the wall of text

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom