Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dishonored but worse.
I heard it was multiplayer or something? Or they backed down and made single player game instead? The mention of multi-player kinda makes me auto bypass it from my mind.
You can enable "player invasions" kind of like in Dark Souls - another player can take over as the main antagonist to keep things unpredictable. Sounds kinda interesting to be honest, but it doesn't sound like they've really thought griefers through. You can just turn it off.

I’m sure the delay is for good reasons. Hopefully it actually addresses those reasons; I’m skeptical Arkane can survive another flop, even if it’s as well-regarded critically as the last two.

ADL

Prophet
Arkane can survive unlimited flops now that they're under Microsoft and their games are considered GamePass "content" just like Netflix and Amazon Prime trash. Especially if they remain critical darlings that get a lot of attention.
Dishonored but worse.
I heard it was multiplayer or something? Or they backed down and made single player game instead? The mention of multi-player kinda makes me auto bypass it from my mind.
They're revisiting their PvEvP concept from The Crossing like fifteen years ago. Hope it pans out because I was really looking forward to this back in the day.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Preview blitz:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...n-dishonored-with-guns-its-arkane-does-hitman

Deathloop looks like more than Dishonored with guns - it's Arkane does Hitman
Looper.

It's a delicious irony that one of PlayStation 5's most exciting exclusive prospects this year comes from some of the newest members of the extended Xbox Game Studios family, but let's not let that quirk of timing obscure the real story here: Arkane Studios, creators of some of the finest immersive sim experiences in its brace of Dishonored games and 2017's superlative if somewhat underappreciated Prey, is back with an all-new game that funnels some of that expertise into a tightly wound timeloop, and layers plenty more on top besides.

It's quite the mixing pot, then, but there's no doubting that first and foremost this is an Arkane joint, an immersive sim swimming in style and full of all sorts of murderous possibilities. You play as Colt, waking with a bleary head on the bleak shores of Blackreef. A remote northern European island, it first presents itself as a head of cliffs as craggy as Colt's hangover as he pieces together his situation - helped along by floating, fragmented text prompts, a knowing lift from What Remains of Edith Finch and further confirmation, should you need any, that Arkane is a studio with exquisite taste.

It's those text prompts that urge Colt to break the loop, the first sign that leads to the slow dread realisation that you're stuck playing the same day over and over again, the same NPCs following the same patrols and - most importantly - the eight targets known as The Visionaries you ultimately need to eliminate following their same routine. The only way to break the loop is by taking all eight down in the same day, the island's secrets and those of its inhabitants unfurling as you live through each day again.

jpg

The artstyle is exquisite, and it's backed up by some neat takes on period correct music - think swinging 60s, but scuzzed up through a fuzz pedal.

Now, how you go about taking down those eight targets is where things get fuzzier, as well as a lot more interesting. Blackreef is broken down into four distinct districts you're able to select from your base of operations - there's the wintry complex, a proper Bond villain's layer set amidst a snowstorm; Updaam, whose dank and shadowy streets could well be in Dunwall; the cavernous Kristal Bay; and finally the vertiginous urbanity Karl's Bay, with each available over four times of day. Those eight targets carry out their own routines across each of those areas - how exactly you get all to align so they can be taken out in a single loop is part of the fun, their whereabouts and timetable slowly revealing themselves across each run.

In Colt's arsenal there's a bevvy of weaponry, from silent nail guns to SMGs, as well as a helping of supernatural powers that should make Dishonored players feel right at home. There's a short teleport in the form of your Shift ability, while Aether renders you invisible to enemies and their turrets, Havoc allows you to soak up incoming bullets and then fling them back in one devastating volley, Karnesis is an analogue of old favourite the gravity gun that lets you toss enemies this way and that, while finally Nexus allows you to hook enemies together so that they might share the same fate. String three enemies together with Nexus and you'll be able to pop one head with a well-placed shot then see all three collapse headless to the ground, the ultimate in efficiency.
jpg

The multiplayer is one of Deathloop's most fascinating aspects, but it remains one of the more enigmatic. At the start of a mission you're given a choice to break the loop - which means playing as Cole - or protect it, which means playing as Julianna as you attempt to ruin another player's day. It is possible, of course, to opt out of such shenanigans if you want to play completely solo - though doing so could mean you're missing out on a lot of the fun.

There's more, too, in the form of trinkets that can be equipped in one of three slots that lend you different perks, whether that's more resilience or even a double jump, and of course there's the sticky question of how sticky that stuff is, and what persists from one run to another. While the world resets every day, and you're put back to the same starting point at the onset of each new loop, you do quickly unlock the ability to hold onto weapons and perks from one loop to another via an as-yet-undisclosed in-game doodad. There's also a resource known simply as Residium that feeds into all that, though how exactly it does so isn't clear right now.

Indeed, there's much of Deathloop that remains a mystery, the most recent preview experience limited - understandably, of course, given the current global situation - to a hands-off runthrough of the opening area and a quick sprint through a later level. It's here where Colt's powers are shown off to something approaching their full extent as he infiltrates a party held by Alexsis, one of the eight targets, being held in the heart of Updaam.

jpg

You don't get sent back to the start of a loop upon death - this being a video game, you've three lives each new day.

It's an intriguing place to see Deathloop up close for the first time, the verticality and claustrophobia of its streets and the seemingly endless warrens connecting them bringing Dishonored's Dunwall to mind - only this time out the action's got plenty more bark, and another influence springs up in the form of IO's superlative Hitman reboot, the clockwork mechanisms of guard patrols and behaviours of your mark there to be tinkered with at your own masochistic pleasure. If it all comes together, there's a wind-up murder playpen that could be every bit as devious as Agent 47's antics - and every bit as intricate in its design as Dishonored 2's famed clockwork mansion, only played out across an entire game.

And for all the external influences, from indies like Edith Finch through to hard-boiled 70s cinema, it always comes back to Arkane and its own exquisite back catalogue, be that Prey's sense of style and place or the near endless possibilities offered up by Dishonored and its follow-up - and even through to Arkane's abandoned The Crossing in Deathloop's curious multiplayer mode that allows players to take on the role of arch rival Julianna in any given mission and hunt down whoever's playing Cole across the course of a mission. It's the best of Arkane, essentially, with a few other new styles thrown in to keep things fresh, and if it can stick the landing there's every chance it could be Arkane's best yet.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/deathloop-preview

Deathloop is about mastering the world rather than "perfect execution"
"The roguelike element is actually much less present than it might look"

I love the premise of Deathloop: trapped in a timeloop, you need to assassinate eight targets before the day is out to stop everything from resetting. While you're at it, you're being hunted yourself - by another assassin who can played by your pals. I'm really hoping Dishonored developers Arkane will deliver something great with this one, and having seen an action-packed (if hands-off) preview, I can't imagine any other studio pulling it off.

I was given the low-down on all the weird and wonderful supernatural abilities at your disposal in Deathloop, and Arkane also showed off how missions on the game's 60s-themed party island can go down. While it offers you plenty of stealthy opportunities, however, it seems pretty different from the Dishonored experience, sometimes favouring the guns-blazing approach.

Deathloop takes place on Black Reef, and you play as Colt, the assassin who needs to kill eight Visonaries who're causing the day to reset over and over. It's not the sort of thing you can just speed your way through - it seems players will have to spend a lot of time gathering intel before they're able to properly act, with a fair bit of trial and error involved.

"The roguelike element is actually much less present than it might look, because it's not about difficulty, and the repetition is more about you being the master of the time loop," says game director Dinga Bakaba. "The game isn't about 'perfect execution.'"

Colt can travel to four different districts of Black Reef (which are essentially four different levels), and he can choose to go there in the morning, afternoon or evening. Across these time zones and places you'll find different Visionaries and different info you'll need to end the loop. Your ultimate goal is to line up the schedules of all of your targets to get them close enough to each other that you can take them all out quickly, and each time you "fail" a loop, you'll have hopefully learned something that'll help you do that.

"Once you have all these elements in place and you know what to do, then you go for what we call 'The Golden Loop', which is trying to enact this plan," says Bakaba. "By then, you'll be superpowered, you'll know the map - it's more a victory lap than anything."

You'll do it all in style, of course. Black Reef looks like one big 60s-themed party island, and everyone knows that party infiltration missions are, in fact, the best. During the preview, the devs showed Colt trying to get to a Visionary holding a speech at a little soirée where everyone is wearing masks. In one loop, he rushes in, gunning down everyone because fuck it, he had to get in there somehow. Surprisingly, that fails, but in the next loop he finds a note pertaining this particular target - but he needs to come back later to act on it. A sneaky window entrance and a couple of blinks across some chandeliers later and there's the masked Visionary, sat on top of a rather convenient trap door.

"At the beginning, you will be quite weak, you're just a guy with an uzi and a machete. But as you unlock more and more, you'll start to be a superhero," Bakaba adds. "At that moment, it's not about difficulty anymore, it's about going through the story."

But what I'm most excited for in Deathloop is something Arkane did so well in the past with Dishonored: special abilities. Colt has loads of supernatural weirdness he can learn. Similar to Corvo's Blink, Shift allows Colt to teleport a short distance away. Aether turns him invisible. Havoc absorbs damage that he can them discharge back at enemies. Nexus ties the fates of a group of enemies together, so if one dies, they all go down. And my personal favourite is Karnesis, which lets Colt telekinetically launch people into the air. Seeing it in action reminded me a lot of the biotic abilties in in Mass Effect. Black Reef has a lot of cliffs you can throw (and kick) people off of too, so there are always good times to use Karnesis.

As for more conventional weaponry, Colt has loads of guns which can all be customised with collectible trinkets - from simple ones like shock absorbers and surpressors, to buffs that give you more damage the more enemies you consecutively hit. There are loads of ways to get a playstyle that suits you, though it's worth noting that you can lose equipment by dying during a loop. To keep your favourite stuff with you, you'll need to find caches of sparkly goo called Residium.

My only gripe is that it didn't seem like stealth is always the best way to go about your murdering business on Black Reef. The preview I saw often used sneaky abilities and the odd cheeky backstab to get to a specific location, but would then whack out one of Colt's many weapons or more deadly skills and rush around guns blazing. And unlike Dishonored, when you kill enemies in Deathloop their bodies disappear. It seems as though there's not much point in leaving anyone alive or trying to do a "ghost mode" playthrough, which I suppose is fair enough. You are an assassin, so killing is in the job description. But it removes the pressure of being caught out by a body you forgot to hide, or a person you didn't neutralise, taking away a level of tension.

Tension is added in a slightly different way with rival assassin, Juliana. She's one of the Visionaries - a deadly one at that - and it's her job to protect the loop. You'll know when she's on the hunt for you when a short sound cue plays, and she'll have similar weapons and skills to Colt's to use against you. If you play offline, Juliana will be AI, but if you want a proper challenge you can open up your game to online Julianas, and have other players invade your world.

"We didn't want to have a multiplayer mode and a campaign mode, we wanted all of that to work together," explains Bakaba. "We immediately said we didn't want limitations on this multiplayer mode, or railroad how Juliana would play. We needed the character to have personality that would accomodate both Seb - who's very straightforward and headshot me the first time I showed my head - or someone like me, who'll pop in and not even attack you to make the match last as long as possible. Or even people who'd want to roleplay her, or be friendly with Colt."

I hadn't even thought about being a friendly Juliana, but now I'm just more scared of her. What if people pretend to be my friend then murder me after? I've played too much Dark Souls to put my trust in other players that like that.

But if you fancy destroying my trust as an invading assassin lady, Deathloop is due out on September 14th. It's one of our most anticipated games of 2021, and after seeing more of it, that certainly hasn't changed.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamer.com/time-loop-shooter-deathloop-is-like-an-extreme-dishonored/

Time loop shooter Deathloop is like an extreme Dishonored
A fresh look at Arkane's next project.

Deathloop is the next big game from Arkane, the studio behind Dishonored and Prey. It has a lot in common with those games, and the immersive sim genre in general. You're presented with a varied toolset and a dense, multi-layered world, and encouraged to experiment with reactive, open-ended systems to achieve your goals. But Deathloop's wild premise sets it apart: you play as an assassin stuck in a time loop who must figure out a way to kill eight targets in one cycle. This is the only way hero Colt can break out and free himself. Think Groundhog Day, but directed by Luc Besson and set in a hyper-stylised 1960s.

Deathloop takes place entirely on Blackreef, a mysterious island where time endlessly repeats. Taking advantage of this bizarre temporal anomaly, a group of self-proclaimed Visionaries are using the island as a way to gain eternal life and live it free of consequence. And it's this ghoulish crew of villains—a collection of eccentric, egomaniacal artists, scientists, and party animals—that you have to assassinate. But to make this task more difficult, each target has an army of loyal henchmen protecting them, the island is riddled with security systems and, when you die, the loop resets and you have to start all over again.

Well, that's not strictly true. At first, a cycle resetting means Colt is back to square one. But later in the game he finds a loophole that lets him retain some of his abilities. Also, any intel you uncover during a loop—say, a door code or a target's location—is retained too. So over time, Colt gradually becomes more powerful, and his knowledge of Blackreef and the habits of its residents grows. This is a really interesting progression system, and the moment when you've grown strong enough, and learned enough, to kill all eight targets in a single, uninterrupted cycle will surely be powerfully satisfying.

In action, Deathloop looks incredible. Colt has the athleticism of Dishonored's Emily and Corvo, able to spring between rooftops and use an ability similar to Blink to teleport across short distances. But instead of relying on a sword and a clunky old pistol, Colt has a vast array of exotic firearms to choose from, making Deathloop much more of an FPS—and a deliciously stylish, fast-paced one at that. In a hands-off demo I watch an Arkane developer slide nimbly between cover, teleport around enemies to confuse them, and blow them away theatrically with a bright green shotgun. The energy is unreal—and that's from just watching it being played.

Visually, it's just as exciting. Blackreef is a bleak, rocky slip of land, littered with the remains of a crumbling old military base. But the Visionaries have retro-fitted it to reflect their idiosyncratic personalities, turning it into a surreal, colourful theme park influenced by the fashion, music, and pop art of the 1960s. The colourful space age furniture, neon signs, walls of tube TVs, and modernist interiors contrast brilliantly with the dusty, rusting remains of the old island. As with all Arkane games, a lot of thought has clearly gone into the visuals—and artistically, it's among the studio's best work to date.

Fans of the Dishonored series will find one of the game's targets particularly interesting. Aleksis 'The Wolf' Dorsey is throwing a masquerade ball at his mansion, and I'm immediately reminded of the first Dishonored's standout mission, Lady Boyle's Last Party. I watch a developer play a slice of this mission, teleporting across the rooftops of an abandoned old town on the outskirts of the mansion, dropping enemies with a sniper rifle or up-close with a knife, before infiltrating the mansion itself to locate The Wolf. It looks like classic Dishonored stealth, but much faster and way more aggressive.

Inside, a procession of hopeless stand-up comedians takes to the stage. If the jokes fall flat, which they inevitably do, my target pulls a lever and drops them into a pit filled with thrashing blades. Of course, no one really dies on Blackreef, but it's still a gruesome way to go. And when The Wolf decides to tell a few jokes himself and show these would-be comedians how it's done, well... you get the idea. Arkane has always been great at creating these Hitman-style ironic death traps, and it's great to see them here in Deathloop. But true to the immersive sim genre, this is just one of many ways to deal with Aleksis.

Killing The Wolf earns Colt an ability that lets him throw enemies around like ragdolls, slam them through windows, and hurl them dramatically off cliffs. And you're gonna need all the powers you can get when Julianna starts showing up. There's another assassin on Blackreef, and her objective is the opposite of yours: keeping the loop intact. How? By killing you. She'll appear at random, controlled by another player if you have PVP enabled, and can disguise herself as enemies (including Visionaries) to screw with you. This is a wickedly imaginative approach to multiplayer and I can't wait to see more of it in action.

Deathloop was originally going to be released this Friday, but it was delayed till later in the year—and honestly, I'm glad. Extra development time can only benefit a game this deep and complex. Arkane is keeping the immersive sim dream alive, and this is a thrilling, creative take on the genre that is absolutely brimming with potential. I can't wait to finally get my hands on a playable build, but until then I'm going to let myself get excited about this one. Arkane knows what it's doing, and however the final game turns out, you know it's gonna be interesting. You can break the loop yourself when, barring any further delays, Deathloop is released on PC on September 14.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamesn.com/deathloop/what-kind-of-game-is

Deathloop isn’t the game I thought it was, and that’s a good thing
There's plenty of Arkane lineage here, but Deathloop is packed with new ideas

deathloop-julianna-900x506.jpg

My idea of what Deathloop is has changed a lot since its E3 2019 reveal trailer. Then, I was under the impression it would be an FPS game with an omnipresent rival assassin who stalks you everywhere you go, sort of like Resident Evil 2’s Mr. X. A couple of months ago an explainer video from Bethesda left me thinking that Deathloop was going to be a triple-A roguelike. Turns out Deathloop is neither of those things, but whatever it is, I want in.

A recent hands-off look at Deathloop with Arkane Lyon starts with protagonist Colt’s death at the hands of rival assassin Julianna. The screen fades to black and then Colt springs back to life on a beach, wondering where he is, who Julianna is, who he is, and coming to the natural conclusion that he must be hungover.

As Colt wanders up the beach, mysterious floating messages – some informative, others playful – direct him to a machine pistol, which he picks up and cocks before firing a few rounds at some mannequins. Next, he heads into a bunker, picking up some supplies he appears to have some familiarity with, before making his way deeper into the bunker and along a cliff path. A piercing jingle rings out from a tannoy – Julianna introduces herself, before announcing that Colt is trying to break the loop and should be killed on sight.

After killing a few guards and learning a tiny bit more about Julianna and the loop, Colt is killed again. He wakes in fright on the same beach, picks up the same supplies, and heads off in the same direction, but this time he’s able to access new areas using information from the previous loop.

This is just the start of Deathloop. At a certain point, Colt discovers a way to skip his morning routine on the beach, and the structure becomes a bit clearer. So, what the heck is Deathloop?

Your main goal is to eliminate eight targets across the island. Doing so will break the loop, which sees the island and its cultish inhabitants repeating the exact same day in perpetuity. This group of artists, scientists, and revellers call themselves Eternalists – they want to live forever, and they’ll kill anyone who wants to crash the party. Problem is, Colt’s trapped there with them, so he needs to kill the eight leaders before the day ends and the loop resets.

At another stage in my iterative understanding of Deathloop, I thought this might take the form of starting each day on the same beach and trying to find the perfect run over hundreds of attempts. That’s not right either. Instead, the island of Blackreef is divided into four areas, and you can visit each area during the morning, noon, afternoon, and night. By dropping into these locations at different times and hunting around for clues, you piece together the movements and motivations of each target. When you have enough information, you can manipulate those schedules to put each target exactly where you want them.

Dinga Bakaba, game director at Arkane Lyon, says all of this will prepare you to complete a final, ‘golden’ loop. Bakaba describes this as more of a victory lap than a final showdown – all the hard work is in laying the foundations, discovering leads that allow you to manipulate where each target will be, so that the act of dispatching them all in one go is almost academic.

In one section of the demo, Colt attempts to assassinate one of the leaders, Aleksis, at his party in the Updaam district, guided by a very simple lead: crash the party. While infiltrating the fortified party house, Colt comes across a letter to Aleksis that mentions a safe (and its code) in Updaam library with a special “submission” in it, promising it will be there at noon. After getting himself killed a few moments later, the demo drops Colt back in Updaam at noon with the task of tracking down the package in the safe. This is a new area of the map to master, and after sneaking past some goons – and annihilating many more – Colt finds the safe he’s looking for, which tells him Aleksis’ exact location at the party.

Colt returns to Updaam at night for another swing at Aleksis, who he now knows will be giving a speech in the dining room. This is where we get to glimpse a bit more of Deathloop’s combat and stealth, but if you’re familiar with how Dishonored plays then you should feel right at home in Arkane’s new stealth sandbox.

Colt’s main abilities are right out of Corvo’s playbook. There’s a short-range, Blink-inspired teleport called Shift, which is handy for getting around swiftly and sneakily. Then there’s Emily’s Domino power from Dishonored 2 (this time called Nexus) that allows you to link multiple enemies so they all share the same fate. Aether is Shadow Walk on steroids, rendering you totally invisible for long enough to sneak past a guard or turret.

Things get a little more interesting with the Karnesis ability, which lets you lift a group of enemies up in the air, before hurling them in whatever direction you choose – especially handy along the many steep cliffs of Blackreef. Havoc, meanwhile, leans into Deathloop’s more action-oriented gameplay, letting Colt absorb a lot more damage for a short period, before releasing it all back in a lethal, short-range blast.

Unlike the Dishonored games, Deathloop can absolutely be played like a first-person shooter. Colt opts for a guns-blazing approach in roughly half of the fights in the hour-long demo, using everything from akimbo six-shooters to enormous LMGs to carve a path through crowded areas. There’s some ancient Arkane lineage in the impressive force of Colt’s kick too, which can launch enemies several feet like in 2006’s Dark Messiah. Much like in Dishonored, Deathloop is all about tying abilities together to create devastating combos – Shift into a kick and your target practically ragdolls over the horizon, but if you throw down Nexus first then you can dispatch a whole huddle of Eternalists with one swift punt.

There’s loot too. Like, proper loot, with rarity tiers and sockets for upgrades, and you get to keep loot between loops by unlocking it permanently with a resource called Residium. There’s even a – and bear with us on this one, lest a certain Twitter account catches wind – Dark Souls-like bloodstain mechanic through which you drop any gathered Residium upon death, but can reclaim it provided you make it back to where you last died before dying again. And then there’s the whole rival assassin gameplay that Julianna brings to the table, although we only caught a tiny glimpse of this during the demo.

All of this suggests that Deathloop is going to be a wild, wild game. We’re only a few months away from its release date and I still can’t really picture what its first few hours will look and play like, or how it will feel to progress through its time loop. But with Arkane’s superb track record and everything I’ve seen of Deathloop so far, this is easily one of my most anticipated PC games of 2021.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm still not sold on the moment-to-moment gameplay (death)loop, looks like Dishonored-lite, too straightforward and uneventful for my taste. I guess that's why Julianna is there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom