Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

JDR13

Arcane
& Prime 1&2 completed,
Metroid Prime 3 isn't that bad, compared to some other titles...
Although it's a bitch to emulate.
The Hunters game for the DS is like a Prime-lite game.

"Samus Returns" thing, but it looks 10 times more popamole than aM2r.
Still better than Other M. Or the horrible Marine spin-off game with chibi-styled characters.

I respect/second omitting Prime 3. It's definitely a lesser experience than 1 and 2. AM2R was the perfect victory lap to roundout a playthrough of the series.

Metroid Prime 3 isn't difficult to emulate at all. I think the problem is that a lot of people just don't take the time to set it up properly. It runs perfectly in Dolphin now, but to get the best experience, you need to use a Wiimote.

It's absolutely worth it too. I strongly disagree that any Metroid fan should skip it.

I think the one where you fight the evil copy of yourself is my fave. Pretty sure that's also the one that has a weirdly well executed jumpscare for a little GBA game -- at some point you're exploring some messed up scifi labs and a big fucking silhouette of a monster flies by in the background. Got me, anyway.

I always thought it was strange that Nintendo made two different Metroid games where you fight an evil copy of yourself. You're talking about Metroid Fusion, but Metroid Prime 2: Echoes uses the same premise.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Started a new save in Skyrim. Time for some more grand and wholesome adventures! This time with realistic armor.

juqdT71.jpg

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The juxtaposition between Sigourn and Malamert screenshots is really amazing.

Morrowind, a game remembered by many that has a grandiose and heavily immersive atmosphere (even without the mods used in the screenshots) vs Skyrim, a game so shallow and uninteresting that the only interesting thing to do is to live out your own sex fantasies in a country, which capital isn't larger than eleven fucking huts.

spekkio

Arcane
lightbane said:
JDR13 said:
It's absolutely worth it too. I strongly disagree that any Metroid fan should skip it.
I've tried it last year via Primehack, but gave up after short time. Way too much "narrative", feels like a totally different genre ("space shooter"), wiimote controls feel very gimmicky (things that were earlier controlled by basic inputs suddenlty require some nunchuck gestures). Etc. etc.

Even using Primehack, some controls are difficult to set-up properly and their usage breaks the flow of the game. So if you don't have Wiimote + Nunchuck, it's this:

lightbane said:
Although it's a bitch to emulate.
Ivan said:
I respect/second omitting Prime 3. It's definitely a lesser experience than 1 and 2.
My thoughts exactly. Around 2020 I've started becoming more demanding as an oldfag gamer. If something doesn't hook me up right away (~1 hour of gaming), I tend to give up on it. And if there are some obvious bad design choices present (shitty controls, unskippable cutscenes, convoluted yet boring combat), I'm even more unforgiving.

: oldpeople :

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I think the one where you fight the evil copy of yourself is my fave. Pretty sure that's also the one that has a weirdly well executed jumpscare for a little GBA game -- at some point you're exploring some messed up scifi labs and a big fucking silhouette of a monster flies by in the background. Got me, anyway.
Metroid Fusion. Quite story-heavy and suffers from unskippable monologues, but a solid entry to the franchise. One of my favorites.

The Samus return remake was a test that failed (lacked sales).

Because that game was utter shit in comparison with the fanmade game that was C&D sometime before the release, and it had Samus trying too hard by using her cannon as a club, even against fucking Metroids, who canonically can absorb your energy and worse upon physical contact. Then there's that hilariously try-hard, shoehorned final battle against Ridley that comes out of nowhere.
I'm not sure exactly but that horrible Marine spinoff that also shits on Samus' character was launched before Samus Returns, which made potential buyers wary of Metroid games.

but to get the best experience, you need to use a Wiimote.
Which I don't.

I always thought it was strange that Nintendo made two different Metroid games where you fight an evil copy of yourself. You're talking about Metroid Fusion, but Metroid Prime 2: Echoes uses the same premise.

TBF, each game was made by a different company.

wiimote controls feel very gimmicky (things that were earlier controlled by basic inputs suddenlty require some nunchuck gestures). Etc. etc.

They had to justify using the Wii's hardware since it was made for said platform.

JDR13

Arcane
lightbane said:
JDR13 said:
I've tried it last year via Primehack, but gave up after short time. Way too much "narrative", feels like a totally different genre ("space shooter"), wiimote controls feel very gimmicky (things that were earlier controlled by basic inputs suddenlty require some nunchuck gestures). Etc. etc.

Even using Primehack, some controls are difficult to set-up properly and their usage breaks the flow of the game. So if you don't have Wiimote + Nunchuck, it's this:
Did you actually use a Wiimote though or were you trying to play it with a gamepad or K&M? The heavy narrative is only in the beginning. Otherwise, it's a lot like the first two games except that you occasionally interact with NPCs.

but to get the best experience, you need to use a Wiimote.
Which I don't.

Well, they're cheap and fairly easy to set up. I recommend getting one if you think you might use it again the future. I already had one because I own a Wii, and getting a USB sensor bar for my PC was dirt cheap. It was well worth it to able to play Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda: Skyward Sword at 4X their native resolution in Dolphin. Once I got used to the Wiimote scheme, I even preferred it for Prime 1 & 2.

TBF, each game was made by a different company.

Not really. I mean yeah, Retro is the primary developer of the MP series, but they're a subsidiary of Nintendo.

janior

Arcane
Patron
snip
aM2r

With the Big Bad Bitch dead, it's done!

:yeah:

Samus snatches The Last Baby Metroid:

EWBcWU1.png

And GTFO of the planet.

111WKHp.png

:salute:

Results:

NzoZPX2.png

All upgrades, all Energy Tanks (these are actually really easy to get - nice touch) & Missile Tanks. 2 Super Missiles and 1 Power Bomb missed, but I've found them, just didn't want to waste time / joypad getting them (requires some EXTREME speed boosting). All 3 visible on map:

fdtckad.png

And fuck me, this game is big (old map with old icons):

D2znYJ6.png

Anyway, since I've taken my time:

h81cHcs.png

I got the SFW ending slide:

USTZMcR.png

To get the "best" ending:

AM2R_ending_1.png

You have to beat the game in less than 2 hours.

And about "seeing me next mission", I'm afraid that having Zero Mission, Super Metroid, Fusion & Prime 1&2 completed, I'm done with the franchise. There's still this 3DS "Samus Returns" thing, but it looks 10 times more popamole than aM2r. You suck, Nintendo. :obviously:
absolutely loved that fan remake, the best metroid 2 version for sure!

Ivan

Arcane
I've started becoming more demanding as an oldfag gamer. If something doesn't hook me up right away (~1 hour of gaming), I tend to give up on it.
This! The only way to stay sane as one ages IMO. We can't carelessly spend our time as when we were children hoping something "clicks" ten hours in.

fork

I've started becoming more demanding as an oldfag gamer. If something doesn't hook me up right away (~1 hour of gaming), I tend to give up on it.
This! The only way to stay sane as one ages IMO. We can't carelessly spend our time as when we were children hoping something "clicks" ten hours in.
The problem with this approach: I would have probably missed half of my all time top20 or so, probably even more.

A horse of course

turns out my time mole popper is actually a movie
I mean ... literally a movie. I'm in the middle of a TV show ingame right now that's about 30 minutes long.
Untitled.jpg

Quantum Butt was made during the Xbox division's insane "transmedia" rush, when they were trying to tie everything into their multimedia streaming/subscription services, which resulted in retarded shit like Halo 5's story being written around trying to do a TV show spinoff. Remember that in the early Xbox One days analysts were saying dumb shit about how the Xbone/PS4 would be the last console generation and everything would be built around online streaming. In fairness Remedy don't exactly have the luxury of being able to pick and choose what they want to work on. Control is a shockingly "conventional" game in comparison.

Vorark

Erudite

There's a plethora of "metroidvanias" on the market these days but they never scratch the itch that only the holy trinity (Super, Fusion, ZM) and now AM2R can. The SNES/GBA era spritework was masterful, as was the gameplay.

AM2R felt like a long-lost entry straight out Nintendo R&D1, miles better than the appalling Samus Returns. Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to develop it in-house or at the very least handle it to a decent third party studio. Left me with little to no hope for a proper classic Metroid V ever seeing the light.

JDR13

Arcane
There's a plethora of "metroidvanias" on the market these days but they never scratch the itch that only the holy trinity (Super, Fusion, ZM) and now AM2R can. The SNES/GBA era spritework was masterful, as was the gameplay.

I think Axiom Verge comes close to being on the same level. You should check that out if you haven't already.

Vorark

Erudite
I think Axiom Verge comes close to being on the same level. You should check that out if you haven't already.

I did, was not my cup of tea unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom