Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I take it that the setting is still pretty good,after all it was the strongest thing in AoD. Is it an open world like or is it like AoD's focus on starting factions ?

There are no guild questlines as something that progression revolves around. There are faction-exclusive quests and faction reputation, i.e. you can't side with a faction without pissing someone else off.

In AoD the best parts were the Old World locations. No idea how it's gonna turn out. I'm thinking of Mission Control and Environmental Control and Life Support System -- aka House Ecclesiastes. Nice touch.

Which means you have to buy it, even if you're a Slav like me and we don't normally pay for games, or Windows licenses.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I take it that the setting is still pretty good,after all it was the strongest thing in AoD. Is it an open world like or is it like AoD's focus on starting factions ?

There are no guild questlines as something that progression revolves around. There are faction-exclusive quests and faction reputation, i.e. you can't side with a faction without pissing someone else off.

In AoD the best parts were the Old World locations. No idea how it's gonna turn out. I'm thinking of Mission Control and Environmental Control and Life Support System -- aka House Ecclesiastes. Nice touch.

Which means you have to buy it, even if you're a Slav like me and we don't normally pay for games, or Windows licenses.
Yeah,will most likely will buy it some time after release. Even bought AoD even if it was not my thing.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've just started playing the game and I have to ask, has the Starfarer escaped from RSA or Nigeria? Because almost every character I meet is a nigger (sometimes a clone or a twin):

https://imgur.com/a/IGoA3TQ
Q9ZJ5Za.jpg

yxzyKfx.jpg

hdCLIQq.jpg

xpvzhty.jpg
That would explain why according to Founding Fathers "Earth was an overcrowded hellhole".

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Will it have the jank ass camera from age of decadence or have they finally come to their senses and are developing an isometric with a stationary camera?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Buff Faythe pl0x.
Not sure what you mean, her stats are awesome by companion's standarts. HP is lacking but you can still do a lot with that, just not at the front line.
Yeah, she's not so good at smashing skulls in melee. Better results in ranged - which is a shame, really love melee in this game, and I simply adore Faythe; was hoping for her to be good at melee. But alas. She's a wet noodle :( I'm sure we'll get a melee female companion.

Will the inclusion of non-whites in a sci-fi game be the final straw for Goral to do us all a favor and stop being a virgin Iron Tower fan, therefore allowing the rest of us chad Iron Tower enjoyers to play our save/load simulators without shaming ourselves by associating with him?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've just started playing the game and I have to ask, has the Starfarer escaped from RSA or Nigeria? Because almost every character I meet is a nigger (sometimes a clone or a twin):

That would explain why according to Founding Fathers "Earth was an overcrowded hellhole".

:gd:

Well its Colony ship which went from Christian Utopia to post apocalyptic hell hole in one generation Comrade... Hey but at least they still have their guns and Ship Constitution!

If you pass the Intelligence check with Braxton, you really ought to have an option to not to speak with Jonas and Braxton like an idiot who doesn't understand anything. As it stands you can get Braxton to straight up admit that he paid Jonas' taxmen to stir shit up only for him to continue with the "Jonas has gone too far you must call him out in public because we can't stab him in the back ok" bullshit in subsequent conversations, and have no choice but to question Jonas about the thugs harassing Abe only to be told what you already know.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
For me, the UI feels bland. At some points unreadable, for example in the character screen - it's not obvious who's stats you are looking at.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
if you increase skills by using them is there any reason to not just find an optimal route of skill checks?
not that different from aod? Except you could use points awarded through stealing towards streetwise for example

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
if you increase skills by using them is there any reason to not just find an optimal route of skill checks?
not that different from aod? Except you could use points awarded through stealing towards streetwise for example

This is why I quite liked the simplicity of a combat playthrough of AOD. There was no skillpoint scumming fuckery, you just pumped one weapon skill, one defence skill and probably crafting and/or alchemy.

I never really liked the "save the skillpoints" strategy with AOD.

Alphons

Cipher

I'm only concerned about it regarding thief skills (lockpicking and pickpocketing) and technical (biotech and electronics).

Combat skills don't give you a lot if they aren't tagged and grinding Armor and Evasion to higher levels is not feasible.

Speech skills develop even if they aren't used, as you get exp for all of them when you win arguments.

Without prior investment or training tokens, Sneaking and Computers are a bit hard to raise.

Electronics, Biotech, Lockpicking and Steal on the other hand feel a bit too easy to raise. I was able to pass all their checks without any tags, skill investment and with minimal Intelligence. Maybe later on they'll have harder checks and you won't be able to pass them so easily.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For me, the UI feels bland. At some points unreadable, for example in the character screen - it's not obvious who's stats you are looking at.
Yeah the UI quality is all over the place. Most of it it's great but now and then there are bits of text and UI elements that are p. much unreadable, either bc the font is tiny or just weird. It's like someone designed them on a 60" TV screen, not realizing most people are gonna play this on laptops and 24" monitors.

I like the overall aesthetics tho, it feels sleek and functional and not overly fussy.

Trithne

Erudite
Moved to behind the counter, now there's these.
That's your cover against those guys.

And on a proposed move it turns into these.

That's the cover you'll have against those guys if you move there.

Okay, so I've let this ruminate around in my head over the work day, and this is what I've come to:

Why would I want to know those values?

My cover against a given NPC, when I am in this particular spot and they are in that particular spot, is only useful information if I am shooting at them and expect return fire - and the likelihood of that return fire is still a more valuable piece of information at that time.

The cover value becomes obsolete as soon as my turn ends, because those NPCs are almost certain to move, thus changing the value.

On the other hand, things I would like to see:
* my base chance to hit, using the "standard shot", a target from whatever tile my cursor is currently on. That will inform my movement choices a lot more than how much cover I have right now.
* likelihood of return fire when my cursor is over a target. Or even the cover value from above. It's simply only relevant for a very short length of time.

Also, why are only some tiles "reaction fire tiles" while the ones next to it might not be?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Will the inclusion of non-whites in a sci-fi game be the final straw for Goral to do us all a favor and stop being a virgin Iron Tower fan, therefore allowing the rest of us chad Iron Tower enjoyers to play our save/load simulators without shaming ourselves by associating with him?
Nah,it needs a little bit of flayer for that....like 25 gay romance options and two fat feminists options for hetero. We clearly need more representation in modern day RPGs,it just shows the studio being bigots for not including the accurate percentages. After all only 9% of world pop is whitoids,so it stands to reason that we get 3% of white people in the game.
:popcorn:

:gd:

Well its Colony ship which went from Christian Utopia to post apocalyptic hell hole in one generation Comrade... Hey but at least they still have their guns and Ship Constitution!
Is there a white supremacist faction that wants to clean all the niggers and degenerates out of existence? I personally doubt it,most likely there is some religious faction that is led by some negress or arab.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
is it possible to hoard skillpoints by stealing around?
no, stealing raises stealing.

Dont have much time. I started high dec+int character with all 3 thievery feats and computers. So far there are no computers check and I wish I grabbed electronics instead. Or traded steal for electronics as im not too happy with it and wonder if id be fine without tagging it and raising as there is a trainer and plenty of opportunities?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played a bit and if you don't tag comp skill at start you will miss plenty of loot and occasions to train your skills, on the other hand you can be tought of lock picking and stealing at start so if you have mastermind+10 intelligence you won't miss skill points, but if you have Intelligence around 6 just don't bother with talking, thieving or technical thingies cause you wont raise them to 3 and 4 anyways. So just kill stuff. Maybe it would be easier if you got a sneaky or nerdy companion at start but Evan is almost useless and nigga companion refuses to climb the rope, despite that he has Str 8 which is I think is bug... or Maybe Iron studio getting woke finally.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Played a bit and if you don't tag comp skill at start you will miss plenty of loot and occasions to train your skills, on the other hand you can be tought of lock picking and stealing at start so if you have mastermind+10 intelligence you won't miss skill points, but if you have Intelligence around 6 just don't bother with talking, thieving or technical thingies cause you wont raise them to 3 and 4 anyways. So just kill stuff. Maybe it would be easier if you got a sneaky or nerdy companion at start but Evan is almost useless and nigga companion refuses to climb the rope, despite that he has Str 8 which is I think bug.
companions are not to be trusted. Ill have my perfect sneak thief theron experience yet. I guess Ill start over once i figure out how to spend tags/starting skill points over 6 skills

Alphons

Cipher
Some questions regarding companions:
  • When talking with Jed, he doesn't answer one of the questions due to low affinity. Is it possible to raise it in this version?
  • Do Evan and Jed have any interactions outside their recruitment quests? (Faythe has you promise that you won't kill squatters in Delta Tower and asks you why have you helped Jonas against Braxton.) If not, will they get some interactions in Chapter 1 in future updates or is it reserved for further Chapters?
  • Is it possible to just buy/ steal key for Faythe? She later regrets killing another human (plus you can mention that you regret making her do it and normally you avoid bloodshed), so it shouldn't be that hard to convince her. It could be a nice credit dump (had over 8k on solo warrior and almost 3k on talker). Master Trader could also be used to lower the eventual price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom