Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Turbo Overkill - Apogee's new cyberpunk boomer shooter where you have chainsaw legs

ADL

Prophet

Turbo Overkill is a retro cyberpunk FPS where you play as a violent killing machine with a chainsaw for a leg. Reduce foes to pink mist with your vast arsenal of weaponry, all extended with secondary firing modes.

Looks fast

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Admire the effort, doing a shooter that looks functional is pretty hard, the guns are well animated and have alternate ways of firing and the whole sliding with the chainsaw thing looks like an interesting idea that could be fun but the level design doesnt look interesting to me, all those shooters where you go flying like you had a rocket booster on your ass dont interest me. It is a fun gimmick for 30 mins but very soon after the novelty runs off, you notice that the speed was hiding a mediocre to very poor level design and this doesnt seem like the exception, this thing of the whole levels looking like arcade pinball machines where you are the ball dont look appealing to me. I prefer levels that look like they could be a real place.

Ivan

Arcane
Dope, love the emphasis on movement. A lot better than the slower paced style shooters we had last decade (e.g. Bulletstorm).

Ash

Arcane
First impressions reaction:

+Good art direction and all that entails
+Fast-paced combat, perhaps even too fast which can boil down combat positioning to mostly a matter of just staying mobile, as you can see in the video. Old school FPS was fast but not usually this fast, and constant big wide arenas make staying fast easy to achieve. Not the style of combat I like in my boomer shooter, but I don't think it is bad per se.
+Nice variety of abilities and weapons it seems

-Soundtrack sounds mediocre based on this demonstration
-Guns lack punchy feedback
-Level design looks to be of the Doom Eternal Breed: arena design with platforming sections between. Good as far as arena shooters go which usually suck, but definitely not boomer shooter monocled level design.
-One of the guns takes up half the screen and looks ugly when dual-wielded.
-AI looks a bit braindead.

Admire the effort, doing a shooter that looks functional is pretty hard, the guns are well animated and have alternate ways of firing and the whole sliding with the chainsaw thing looks like an interesting idea that could be fun but the level design doesnt look interesting to me, all those shooters where you go flying like you had a rocket booster on your ass dont interest me. It is a fun gimmick for 30 mins but very soon after the novelty runs off, you notice that the speed was hiding a mediocre to very poor level design and this doesnt seem like the exception, this thing of the whole levels looking like arcade pinball machines where you are the ball dont look appealing to me. I prefer levels that look like they could be a real place.

Agreed with everything you said until that last sentence. 90s boomer level design was so great largely due to being at least partially abstract. Doom & Quake were heavily abstract, gameplay oriented awesomeness. Even Build games while being one of the first to give a sense of believable level design was still plenty abstract at times. Stuff didn't always make realistic sense. Realism is sometimes limiting to creativity, unless realism is the game's whole theme and intent.

Last edited:

toughasnails

Looks p promising, sort of as if Ghostrunner was a boomer shooter, but I made a point of not getting another early access FPS.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is literally the first time I've seen the term "boomer shooter" being used, likely because I only read the Codex and otherwise don't really interact with the "gaming media" at all, since it's retarded and totally useless.

Amid Evil is the only one I've bought so far; it was breddy gud.

I don't like the type of shooter in which you're locked into a box until you kill all of the enemies, at which point the box unlocks and you proceed to the next box, which locks, and so on. This has always felt extremely artificial to me. Does anyone know if there's a specific term for that type of shooter?

Drop Duck

Learned
Looks p promising, sort of as if Ghostrunner was a boomer shooter, but I made a point of not getting another early access FPS.
I learned my lesson after 3D Realms killed WRATH: Aeon of Ruin while it was in early access.
I don't like the type of shooter in which you're locked into a box until you kill all of the enemies, at which point the box unlocks and you proceed to the next box, which locks, and so on. This has always felt extremely artificial to me. Does anyone know if there's a specific term for that type of shooter?
Painkiller started that to my knowledge, Serious Sam did it occasionally but most of the time you had free range and the areas were huge in that game.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Blaine said:
Does anyone know if there's a specific term for that type of shooter?
Arena shooter.
Always thought that referred to games that were based purely around deathmatch such as Quake 3.
That's what the term traditionally referred to. MP shooters that take place in relatively small literal arenas. But those kinds of games no longer get made and then nuDoom was super popular while using the "locked in a room and kill waves of enemies" model so people started using arena shooter to refer to that style of single player shooter.

I think a lot of the "boomer shooters" use this model because it's easier to develop a game based around isolated encounters like this rather than putting effort into real level design, despite the fact that none of the old style shooters they supposedly harken back to did this (like you say Painkiller was one of the first, but no one really copied Painkiller at the time as far as I'm aware since the linear Half-Life/CoD style shooter was reigning supreme back then). All these labels are totally meaningless and just marketing buzzwords anyway.

Curratum

So, this is a poor man's Ultrakill, which was already a poor man's boomer shooter...

JDR13

Arcane
Just finished playing through the demo which is pretty meaty.

It's good. I'm definitely buying as soon as it's out of EA.

Blutwurstritter

Learned

How was the difficulty? It looks like a game with high mobility. Can the AI handle a constantly moving character and keep some pressure up or are you able to dodge everything by simple circle-strafing, bunny hopping or some variation of those.

JDR13

Arcane

How was the difficulty? It looks like a game with high mobility. Can the AI handle a constantly moving character and keep some pressure up or are you able to dodge everything by simple circle-strafing, bunny hopping or some variation of those.

It's definitely more challenging than the average shooter. I picked the middle of 5 difficulty choices, and it wasn't a total cakewalk like most games.

My only complaint is that there's more platforming than I prefer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom