Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware What coop game gives you the dungeoneering experience?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I was wondering, is there any action or action RPG game that can give you the experience that you're exploring a dungeon, cooperating to solve puzzles and traps, discover secrets and has decent-to-good combat and itemisation? I don't care about story or simulation, just have some good environment design. I'm having trouble thinking just about single player games that are good at this, I cannot even think of online coop ones.

Maybe like...Cube World before release (?). Maybe Hytale will be like that when it releases in the year 3123. The next close thing are either crpgs, or straight mindless diablo clones.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Wait for it....

Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light (as well as its sequel)

Isometric perspective
Combat is standard "twin-stick" fare. Aim in 360 degrees on one axis, a dodge maneuver, lots of fun weapons to try and varying enemies to fry.
Platforming is good. Not much to say about it, it's standard stuff and there's nothing wrong with that.
Cooperative puzzle solving is good. You have to work together or die.
Itemisation there is not much of that. You get minor stat boosters with conflicting benefits and negatives, as well as unlock numerous weapons, that's about it, but it's not trying to be an RPG and menu time is obviously attempted to be kept to a minimum.
coop is online OR local

I play this shit with all my girlfriends. It's legit good. the only worthwhile Tomb Raiders since like 1999. It's easy to get into (which is why it's an easy sell to women), 100% gameplay-focused, and a ton of fun.

It is however not so much a "dungeoneering" experience. Exploration is not the focus. The focus is a three-way split between combat/platforming/puzzles. While it all takes place in one dungeon, it doesn't create that dungeon crawling adventure feeling you get from numerous singleplayer games, though I don't think it needs to or sets out to. Nonetheless it's not a straight line, there's minor side content, and a few secrets.

I have also recently bought the Darksiders edition of this style of game for coop fun. Darksiders was always shit but this is a completely different game, has rave reviews, and I figured I'd give it a shot. Will report back at a later date if I'm still around. It is called Darksiders Genesis.

I can recommend a few games that closely match what you're looking for, but to my knowledge there is no legitimate genuine coop dungeon crawler. The closest I can think of is console Baldurs Gate, but even judged strictly as a coop ARPG experience it's not that great (but not bad either). There's also System shock 2 multiplayer but it is buggy and you should not be playing coop if it's your first playthrough.

Last edited:

Citizen

Unironically Deep Rock Galactic. You explore intricate cave systems, interact with environment and use teamwork to solve environmental puzzles and fight off hordes of bugs. If you make it to the end you can drink yourself to a complete blackout in a dwarven space-tavern

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm just checking and Outward has online coop. Maybe that's why it's so popular. Two players, four with a mod.

deama

Prophet
Outward would probably be a good one.
Other than that, minecraft with some dungeoneering mod might work.
There'a also terraria, maybe.
Trine series might work if you're not too iffy on the definition of "dungeoneering", though there's no loot.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm just checking and Outward has online coop. Maybe that's why it's so popular. Two players, four with a mod.

Outward seemed ok from what I played. The exploration is decent, but don't expect any puzzles.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Bloodwych is a sort of DM-clone from the '80s with split screen MP. Not ideal if you want over the net MP though.

J1M

Arcane
Forced. Each class plays quite differently. Decent challenge level. Experience is gained by completing specific levels or objectives, not grinding.

Ash

Arcane
Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light
I just played this with my wife and had TONS of fun. Finally something we can play together that's not stardew valley.

I come back just for you. More co-op with your lady that are actually good, and girls have resonated with in my personal experience.
In most cases the games are designed as co-op experiences first and foremost:

The sequel also, Temple of Osiris
Guns Gore & Cannoli 2
Dead Nation (why do chicks love zombies? caveat: PS3/4 required)
Spelunky 2 (+coop camera mod to make the local co-op smoother)
Resident Evil 5
Kirby Superstar
Toe Jam & Earl: Back in the Groove (caveat: slow-paced game)

More in the back of my head/gaming history somewhere. This'll have to do.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom